DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster Bankruptcy Store Closings Deals/Discussions Thread 8/2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster Bankruptcy Store Closings Deals/Discussions Thread 8/2010

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
Came back from my local BB that is closing.

All DVDs are $4.99. TV Series is $13.99. Loose DVDs are $1.99.

New DVDs are 20% off.
Blu-Rays are 20% off
Place-cards are 20 for $1
Haha, have people actually bought those place cards? My local store just threw them out when that store closed a couple years ago. At another store, I remember someone walking in with those place cards claiming they paid full price for the DVD and the cashier told them to take the place cards to reserve the movies for when they come in (this was towards the end of a store closing sale)! How the situation ended, who knows, I just paid for my purchases and left...laughing.
Old 03-28-11, 04:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
Haha, have people actually bought those place cards? My local store just threw them out when that store closed a couple years ago. At another store, I remember someone walking in with those place cards claiming they paid full price for the DVD and the cashier told them to take the place cards to reserve the movies for when they come in (this was towards the end of a store closing sale)! How the situation ended, who knows, I just paid for my purchases and left...laughing.
I bought 40 of those for a dollar at the last store closing I went to and my girlfriend and I trimmed them up and framed them for in our media room. I thought it was a cool idea.
Old 03-28-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pdhahn
I bought 40 of those for a dollar at the last store closing I went to and my girlfriend and I trimmed them up and framed them for in our media room. I thought it was a cool idea.
I did the same, I love some of the cover art. The last batch I got for free from a closing BB.
Old 03-28-11, 10:26 PM
Cool New Member

Well the individual DVD's are down to 3.99 each - about the same level as their previous 5 for $20 sales. And the TV seasons are $12. I picked up Chuck Season 1, Fringe Season 1, The Mentalist Season 1 and Deadwood Seasons 2 and 3 for a shade under $66 total. Seems like a pretty good deal, particularly for Deadwood. We'll see how well they play LOL
Old 03-29-11, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
Came back from my local BB that is closing.

All DVDs are $4.99. TV Series is $13.99. Loose DVDs are $1.99.

New DVDs are 20% off.
Blu-Rays are 20% off
The Phoenix stores appear to be on the exact same schedule.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
We have a member that filmed his Costco trip in the Costco DVD or Blu-ray thread.
Is it too much to ask for some audio commentary?
Old 03-29-11, 01:01 PM

Went today.

DVDs are noe $3.99 each
Blu-Rays are 25% off

I got the following DVDs
New York, I Love You
Franlyn
Armored
Bonneville
12 Rounds

I made a big mistake. I bought some candy that was 60% off. Well I got home and opened it up. They had some white stuff on it (old age) and I took a bite. It tasted awful. Paid 39 cents each.
I bet because they had it so hot in there that it just sped up the aging process.
Old 03-30-11, 04:30 AM

Anyone know anything about New York closings? Particularly in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx?
Old 03-30-11, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by NYCMan
Anyone know anything about New York closings? Particularly in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx?

i am on long island we have bayshore and smithtown both closeing on april 10th...i would think dvd's are 3.99 now
Old 03-30-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found out my local Blockbuster is closing. April 10th is the last day. I'll probably check it out this weekend...
Old 03-30-11, 12:48 PM
Banned

Anyone know if any of the remaining stores in the upstate NY area are closing???
Old 04-01-11, 05:53 AM
Cool New Member

Blockbuster is closing 186 more stores bringing the total to 1145 stores closed or closing - according to the Wall Street Journal:

"NEW YORK—Blockbuster Inc. said in court filings that it will start closing 186 more stores by the end of the month, bringing the number of its U.S. locations closed or slated for closure to 1,145, or more than a third of its total, since the video-rental chain filed for bankruptcy protection in September.

In filings Friday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan, Blockbuster said it will reject the leases on 186 of its stores by March 31. According to court papers, Blockbuster had just over 3,300 U.S. stores when it entered bankruptcy proceedings.

Among the markets that will be most affected are California and Texas, which each face double-digit store closings.

A Blockbuster spokesman declined to elaborate on the filings.

Last month, Bankruptcy Judge Burton R. Lifland approved procedures for the auction of Blockbuster, with an initial $290 million stalking-horse offer from a group of senior bondholders led by New York-based hedge fund Monarch Alternative Capital. The ruling staved off the threat of immediate liquidation of Blockbuster's assets.

Next month, Judge Lifland will oversee the auction of Blockbuster's assets, at which competing bidders could beat the Monarch group's offer. Blockbuster filed for Chapter 11 protection in September with plans to reorganize, but lackluster holiday sales and continued losses forced the company to put itself on the market.

Blockbuster will use proceeds from the sale, whether it is to the Monarch group or a higher bidder, to pay its debt to movie studios. The studios have agreed to continue shipping DVDs to Blockbuster stores.

Judge Lifland called the original details of the $290 million Monarch-led February bid "one of the most aggressive" he had seen in his 31 years on the bench. The two sides worked out many of Judge Lifland's and creditors' concerns, setting the stage for the auction. The judge said a bidding war could take place in his courtroom."

@mooovies: seems like hampton bays, commack, shirley, northport, rocky point are also closing on Long Island
Old 04-01-11, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by namrobal
Blockbuster is closing 186 more stores bringing the total to 1145 stores closed or closing - according to the Wall Street Journal:

"NEW YORK—Blockbuster Inc. said in court filings that it will start closing 186 more stores by the end of the month, bringing the number of its U.S. locations closed or slated for closure to 1,145, or more than a third of its total, since the video-rental chain filed for bankruptcy protection in September.

In filings Friday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan, Blockbuster said it will reject the leases on 186 of its stores by March 31. According to court papers, Blockbuster had just over 3,300 U.S. stores when it entered bankruptcy proceedings.

Among the markets that will be most affected are California and Texas, which each face double-digit store closings.

A Blockbuster spokesman declined to elaborate on the filings.

Last month, Bankruptcy Judge Burton R. Lifland approved procedures for the auction of Blockbuster, with an initial $290 million stalking-horse offer from a group of senior bondholders led by New York-based hedge fund Monarch Alternative Capital. The ruling staved off the threat of immediate liquidation of Blockbuster's assets.

Next month, Judge Lifland will oversee the auction of Blockbuster's assets, at which competing bidders could beat the Monarch group's offer. Blockbuster filed for Chapter 11 protection in September with plans to reorganize, but lackluster holiday sales and continued losses forced the company to put itself on the market.

Blockbuster will use proceeds from the sale, whether it is to the Monarch group or a higher bidder, to pay its debt to movie studios. The studios have agreed to continue shipping DVDs to Blockbuster stores.

Judge Lifland called the original details of the $290 million Monarch-led February bid "one of the most aggressive" he had seen in his 31 years on the bench. The two sides worked out many of Judge Lifland's and creditors' concerns, setting the stage for the auction. The judge said a bidding war could take place in his courtroom."

@mooovies: seems like hampton bays, commack, shirley, northport, rocky point are also closing on Long Island

yeah i did hear about a few of those also but bayshore and smithtown are close to me as well as commack......do you know if any others from new york were added to the next batch of closings
Old 04-01-11, 08:52 AM
Cool New Member

Nope. Just what I read in the papers -- so to speak. Have been trying to see if any of the stores in NYC are closing. So far, have seen no information on line. I remember when the store in Manhattan at 19th and First Avenue closed, the only announcement (except for the signs in the windows) was a story in a local neighborhood paper's website. The info I posted about the LI stores came from a similar online source - the "patch" for the various communities including hampton bays and commack.
Old 04-02-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Judging by the commercial I saw on TV today, Blockbuster seems to be launching an ad campaign for their mail rental service. I laughed when they hyped the "FREE IN-STORE EXCHANGES!" Yeah, unless your local stores don't exist anymore.

Is this Blockbuster's last desperate attempt to stay in business? They're even pushing the rental-by-mail program at the closeout sales.

Btw, for anyone in the Phoenix area, this article has a list of locations closing April 10th: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...-in-april.html
Old 04-02-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Without much advance notice, the NYC Blockbuster at 51st & 8th Ave has handwritten signs on the doors that they are shutting down at 10pm tonight (Sat Apr 2nd).

All those used DVDs that have been on sale 4/$20 ($5 each) and sometimes 5/$20 ($4 each) are now "only" $5.99 each.

Huh?????

With marketing skills like that, no wonder they're going under.
Old 04-03-11, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Without much advance notice, the NYC Blockbuster at 51st & 8th Ave has handwritten signs on the doors that they are shutting down at 10pm tonight (Sat Apr 2nd).

All those used DVDs that have been on sale 4/$20 ($5 each) and sometimes 5/$20 ($4 each) are now "only" $5.99 each.

Huh?????

With marketing skills like that, no wonder they're going under.
Many of the stores nationwide have gone down to $3.99 for PV DVDs this week, and will likely drop again this upcoming Monday (many stores scheduled to close for good after April 10th). If only I could think of a good NYC joke to explain your store. If your store was in Jersey I could say "It's a Jersey thing."
Old 04-03-11, 06:37 AM

I drove by one Blockbuster near me and they didn't have any posters up that you normally see from the outside. I thought that was strange.
Old 04-03-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Went into my local Blockbuster and ended up getting about 40 movies for around $150...

All previously Viewed movies were $2.5
Previously Viewed Blu-rays were $7
Previously Viewed TV Shows were $10

New Blu-Rays were $12
New DVDs were $4
New Box Sets were 50% off.
Old 04-04-11, 05:56 AM

Forest Hills, NY location. Got 'Give Em Hell, Malone' (directed by the great Russel Mulcahy and starring Thomas Jane) and the new 'Piranha' redo. Price came to $7.07.

They were attempting (successfully) to sell loose discs (sans case/artwork) for .99. Almost bit for 'The Last Winter', but they were all just too jacked up.

Also selling both magazines and a ton of new BluRays for 10% off.
Old 04-04-11, 05:45 PM

As far as New York-based locations is concerened, looks like the location on 250 East Houston Street is on the chopping block. Saw a large Store For Rent sign hanging above the store.
Old 04-06-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, the last day here is April 10th, this upcoming Sunday. It's kind of a bummer. It was the only video store in town (its competition Hollywood Video closed out years ago), and the staff started to recognize me. As a socially inept emotional retard, it's a bummer that the one place in town that validated my presence as "the horror guy" will be here no more. No such rapport at Walgreens or Target. I seem to weird out the Target cashiers, and the Walgreens pharmacists regard me with varying degrees of empathy & disgust.

But I digress...

Here's a list of my Blockbuster PV DVD purchases in the past few weeks, with the conditions of the discs, for any prospective browsers/buyers this final week.

TODAY ($2.99):
Big Man Japan (VG+)
LAST WEEK ($3.99):
Attack on Darfur (Like new)
Burma VJ (Very good)
The Substitute (Like new)
DVDs sans case/artwork ($1)
Alone in the Dark
The Beales of Grey Gardens (Criterion)
The Corporation
Diary of the Dead
Outpost
Terminator 3
They Wait
Thirst (Chan-Wook Park's)
2 WEEKS AGO ($4.99)
Roman Polanski: Wanted & Desired (like new)
Star Trek First Contact (very good+)
Unthinkable (scratched up, replaced for Like New copy)
3-5 WEEKS AGO ($5.99-$7.99)
The Horseman (Very good)
Micmacs (Mint)
Piranha (1978) (Mint)

BRAND NEW DVDs
$5.40 - Elvira - Dracula's Great Love/Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks
$7.30 - Repo Men (price tag mistake, manual price reduction)

The one good thing about the DVDs sans case/artwork is that through those plastic sleeves it's very easy to make out the condition of the disc.

I plan to go back during the last few days.
Old 04-06-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Now they are Dish Networks problem:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...h320millionbid

We have another store closing this month. We've gone from 4, to 1 left.
Old 04-06-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any way of finding out which stores will be closing via a list of some sorts?
Old 04-06-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The NYC location at 50th & 8th Ave is officially closing next Sunday. As of today, all used DVDs are $4.99. There are a few things of interest, but not interested enough at that price level ..... I'll check it out towards the weekend.

The sign on the door says for rentals, visit their locations at 93rd & Broadway or on East Houston. That's it? There will be only 2 Manhattan locations left? My, how the (never really) mighty have fallen.
Old 04-08-11, 02:59 PM

I went to the two BBV stores in Huntsville, AL that are closing.

Talk about your non-bargains.

At the North Parkway store, regular DVDs are $4.99, new releases are $7.99, and Blu-Rays are $11.99. Blu-Ray selection is pitiful.

At the South Parkway store, regular DVDs were $5.99 and Blu-Rays were $14.99.

I think the North Parkway store will be closed in less than a week. Also cash only at both stores. Selection is pretty poor both places. There is no way they got so cleaned out at those prices. Must have wholesaled off a lot of disks, or sent them to NetFlix.

I was all over the Hollywood and MG closings. Those had some great deals. I won't even bother going back to either of these stores.

David

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.