Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster Bankruptcy Store Closings Deals/Discussions Thread 8/2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 10:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster Bankruptcy Store Closings Deals/Discussions Thread 8/2010

In Southern Oregon.. We have 5 Blockbusters and 2 are closing. I went to both and ALL movies (dvds) were 9.87 to 9.99... Blu rays were 15% off original price... Didn't buy anything, just wanted to see their prices... The closing dates were posted all over the stores (4/10 and 4/11). Will probably go back in a few weeks.

Last edited by zhorrorfan; 02-28-11 at 10:58 PM. Reason: corrected misspelled words :-)
Old 03-01-11, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zhorrorfan
In Southern Oregon.. We have 5 Blockbusters and 2 are closing. I went to both and ALL movies (dvds) were 9.87 to 9.99... Blu rays were 15% off original price... Didn't buy anything, just wanted to see their prices... The closing dates were posted all over the stores (4/10 and 4/11). Will probably go back in a few weeks.
Same story at my nearest closing Blockbuster. Used BDs were either $6.99, $9.99, $12.99 or $14.99 before 15% off which is still too expensive for me. If they ever hit 30% off, I might buy a handful of $6.99 titles if they are still there, but the lone employee in the store (who wasn't busy) said most likely they'll ship them to another store which is staying open, so he said 30% off is probably the best I might see there in a few weeks and even 30% off isn't certain. The closing date was also 4/10 at mine. As soon as people post they're seeing 30% off, I'll call my store again.

So, given that Blockbuster stores (at least all of the store closings I've been to in the past) aren't intending to sell all of their merchandise but rather ship them to a non-closing store, these deals will never compare with HW Video closing where they kept lowering prices until they sold.

And as expected my store had no copies of Hot Rod on BD which everyone is buying to flip on eBay for $25. Ebay had free listings for the last 2 weeks and I didn't use any of them because normal items I have sell for so little (after fees) it's not worth the time and effort to list, pack and mail them. Had I found a Hot Rod on BD, then I would've listed that, but after getting rid of Tron (before it was too late) I don't think I own anything else OOP and valuable, and I don't have time to search all of my titles regularly to find out what's OOP.
Old 03-01-11, 08:15 AM

at all the BBV closings by me, the prices on the last day never got below $3.99. and by then, it was pretty slim pickings.
Old 03-01-11, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

We lost 2 of the 3 Blockbusters in our area in the last 6 months, and just this week our remaining store got in a TON of boxes of used discs, and they were already overloaded with pre-viewed discs. They are going to have to have some sort if big sale to get these out of their stores if the remaining stores have this amount in them.
Old 03-02-11, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zhorrorfan
I don't know all the locations closing in the metro Phoenix area, but the one closest to me began its "Store Closing" sale on Feb 25th. I went in two days ago and like you all previously viewed DVDs were $9.99. 10% off the price tag on new sealed DVDs and 20% off candy/popcorn. An employee told me they'll be closed for good in early April. I'll probably swing by in a week or two to see how much the prices have lowered. But, yeesh, $10 for a PV DVD ain't exactly a bargain when you're used to their 5/$20 or even 3/$20 sales.
Old 03-02-11, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I don't know all the locations closing in the metro Phoenix area, but the one closest to me began its "Store Closing" sale on Feb 25th. I went in two days ago and like you all previously viewed DVDs were $9.99. 10% off the price tag on new sealed DVDs and 20% off candy/popcorn. An employee told me they'll be closed for good in early April. I'll probably swing by in a week or two to see how much the prices have lowered. But, yeesh, $10 for a PV DVD ain't exactly a bargain when you're used to their 5/$20 or even 3/$20 sales.
It's not just Blockbuster; pretty much any time anyone has a liquidation sale, there are very few good deals to be had the first couple of weeks. The people who run these stores rely on people seeing the signs and coming in to get "bargains" without really having any idea what the going prices are for the items they are buying.

The last week is really the only time you'll get good deals on Blockbuster merchandise unless you happen to be very lucky.
Old 03-05-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
It's not just Blockbuster; pretty much any time anyone has a liquidation sale, there are very few good deals to be had the first couple of weeks. The people who run these stores rely on people seeing the signs and coming in to get "bargains" without really having any idea what the going prices are for the items they are buying.

The last week is really the only time you'll get good deals on Blockbuster merchandise unless you happen to be very lucky.
Yeah, I stopped in last night, no change. Their Clearanee started on Feb 25th so I guess I should wait a few weeks.

I actually did get a couple of mildly decent deals on their new retail DVDs, since as usual they had some on sale for $5.99 (minus the current 10% discount on retail DVDs). Funny thing is all the price tags were incorrect & rang up differently on the computer. 2 of them they had to manually lower to match the price tag. And then I got one of those Shout Factory "Elvira" DVDs, the price tag was at $9.99 but it rang up as $5.99.
Old 03-07-11, 07:16 PM
Cool New Member

I was driving by one of the stores closing and the parking lot was packed. Clearance signs everywhere so I decided to stop thinking maybe the prices had dropped since last week... Well, they were 7.99. 2 dollars less than last week. Once again, I didn't buy anything. I did look through the Horror section and it seems intact, most people were buying TV series and from the Family/Children section.

I will go back in 1 or 2 weeks. Can't bring myself to buying used dvds for 7.99 when I can buy used dvds for $2 bucks at the local pawn shop (which I do about once a month) and $3 new at big lots.
Old 03-11-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any scouting reports on Southern California Stores closing?..I know there are a bunch closing this month
Old 03-12-11, 12:52 AM

one in Denver - everything marked down to $4.99. last week picked up Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, The Expendables, District 9, and Friday the 13th reboot. had a bunch of other titles in my hand (Crazy Heart, Let The Right One In, Wall Street 2 among them) but tried to hide them for a future purchase.
they also had a deal - sign up for Blockbuster online (free for one month) and get two free. all in all, paid $10 for four movies.
Old 03-12-11, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by blrobl
one in Denver - everything marked down to $4.99. last week picked up Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, The Expendables, District 9, and Friday the 13th reboot. had a bunch of other titles in my hand (Crazy Heart, Let The Right One In, Wall Street 2 among them) but tried to hide them for a future purchase.
they also had a deal - sign up for Blockbuster online (free for one month) and get two free. all in all, paid $10 for four movies.
what location?
Old 03-12-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

went to one of OC store closing all used dvds 2.99, blu rays 25% off..1 day left.
Old 03-12-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by IamLegend
went to one of OC store closing all used dvds 2.99, blu rays 25% off..1 day left.
Same as my store, more specifically used blus are 25% off. retail dvd is 30% off and retail blu is 10%. This is what it will be sunday on the last day.
so as far as we know there won't be any super sale on the last day.

Also you might want to get there early in the day, they will probably
shut down early.
We close at 3:00
Old 03-12-11, 09:53 PM

Four Philly area stores are closing for good tomorrow:

Bensalem, PA
Lawnside, NJ
Glassboro, NJ
Woodbury, NJ
Old 03-12-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

^Aston pa
Old 03-12-11, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading some of the posts regarding pricing I guess I'm glad we no longer have a BB here so I don't have to waste any gas driving there. I got lucky when our local Movie Gallery closed. I think I bought about 40 Blu-rays the last day for $1.99 each
Old 03-13-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by conehead433
After reading some of the posts regarding pricing I guess I'm glad we no longer have a BB here so I don't have to waste any gas driving there. I got lucky when our local Movie Gallery closed. I think I bought about 40 Blu-rays the last day for $1.99 each
Tell me about it! I got some amazing titles at Hollywood for that much, and some great DVDs for $.50 to $1.00.
Old 03-14-11, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by JAYARE
what location?
Arapahoe and Yosemite (Greenwood Village) - behind the Red Robin.
Old 03-14-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IamLegend
That is pathetic. I just noticed one of my stores is closing, and was going to check it out. Now I may not bother...
Old 03-15-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Their Clearance started on Feb 25th so I guess I should wait a few weeks.
I've been back a couple of times. Here's the closing schedule so far for the one BB in Fountain Hills, AZ. (If anyone knows any other closing locations in the metro Phoenix area I'd be much obliged.)

Friday, Feb 25th: Clearance begins. All PV DVDs $9.99. 10% off brand new.
Monday, March 7th: PV DVDs lowered to $7.99. 10% off brand new.
Mon, March 14th (today): PV DVDs lowered to $5.99. 20% off brand new. (Also, PV BDs are 15% off.)

I guess I'll go back in a couple of weeks. It looks like each Monday the prices will keep getting cheaper.

Btw, BEWARE PV RENTAL COPIES! I'm sure elsewhere in this forum you've discussed featureless rental copies.

FYI, ironically, there is one film for which BB's rental copy is the reverse: Stuart Gordon's Stuck. You may recall, this was released with a BD-exclusive commentary not found on the SD DVD. For whatever reason, the Blockbuster-exclusive SD includes Stuart Gordon's audio commentary!

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 03-16-11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A few weeks have passed, so I called my Blockbuster closing on April 10th (I think), and the discount had gone from 15% to 25% on everything except for the BDs which are of course what I want. I also asked about Ponyo which would've been nice to find for $6.99 even with only a 15% off discount, but they said it was gone. When I was there the 1 time I left empty-handed I'm almost certain I saw Ponyo with a 12.99 or $14.99 sticker so I didn't buy it because I didn't know at the time it was actually $6.99.

I'm not very hopeful that my Blockbuster will hit 25% off BDs by the time they close, and even if they do I doubt there'd be much left I want. Thanks to HW Video's closing, even $5 for a used BD doesn't seem like much of a deal unless it's a top-notch title which we all know is not going to last on the shelves until it hits $5.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Blockbuster is not having a really great liquidation sale like HW Video did because Blockbuster is keeping some locations open, so they'd rather send the merchandise to other stores than sell it at a really low price. About the only stuff I ever bought from Blockbuster were some games a year or two ago when they had B1G1F and several good console titles that worked out to $4-$6 each.
Old 03-16-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should we merge this thread with http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...st-here-8.html?

{ADDITION} WTF? Searching Google I just discovered someone posted a 14 minute video of themselves browsing a Blockbuster clearance sale. I could only watch a few seconds, and I'm not encouraging anyone to watch it, but simply pointing out it exists. The person holding the camcorder sounds like one of the adults from Charlie Brown.

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 03-16-11 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-26-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems like every store in the OC is closing or going to close..amazing.
Also amazing to see people buying dvds at 9.99. Stopped in at a store and
seeing the shelves nearly half empty and one lady holding a stack of dvds to buy.. I have hundreds of dvds I would gladly sell at $1 each lol.
Old 03-26-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should we merge this thread with http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...st-here-8.html?

{ADDITION} WTF? Searching Google I just discovered someone posted a 14 minute video of themselves browsing a Blockbuster clearance sale. I could only watch a few seconds, and I'm not encouraging anyone to watch it, but simply pointing out it exists. The person holding the camcorder sounds like one of the adults from Charlie Brown.
We have a member that filmed his Costco trip in the Costco DVD or Blu-ray thread.

I hit one earlier this week when I was at Portland and they were $4.99 each except for one that was cheaper for some reason. I mostly grabbed blu-rays.
Old 03-26-11, 03:58 PM

Came back from my local BB that is closing.

All DVDs are $4.99. TV Series is $13.99. Loose DVDs are $1.99.

New DVDs are 20% off.
Blu-Rays are 20% off
Place-cards are 20 for $1

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.