Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection at Costco for $21.99

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection at Costco for $21.99

THIS IS FOR THE PREMIERE COLLECTION.. NOT THE SIGNATURE COLLECTION.. MY Mistake.. Sorry!

I did not find this deal. Merely passing it along. AmonTwin stated that he found this at his Costco for $21.99.

Taken from the last page of this thread.

Last edited by adrenaline78; 07-26-10 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added mistake comments.
Old 07-22-10, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection at Costco for $21.99

I just came to post this, but noticed you did already...but for the record, it is for the MGM Premiere Collection, not the Signature Collection....but still a great price...

this set.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I did not find this deal. Merely passing it along. AmonTwin stated that he found this at his Costco for $21.99.

Taken from the last page of this thread.

Also could a mod edit my spelling of "Signature" in the thread title! Thanks!

Last edited by AmonTwin; 07-22-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 04:22 PM

ah crap.. another "EDIT" is needed! lol.. Premiere Collection.. not Signature! Thanks for the Find AmonTwin..
Old 07-22-10, 05:28 PM

The Santa Rosa, CA store had boxes upon boxes of the set. They looked in good condition with no bending. I was still worried about the potential of disc manufacturing defects though.

Might pick one up later today or tomorrow. Costco has a good return policy.
Old 07-22-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

...and me with my Sam's Club membership...
Old 07-22-10, 11:53 PM

Well, I just got back from Costco with a set. Half of them had little red stickers near the UPC, under the shrinkwrap. My HUNCH was that these indicate inspected sets and may be problem-free.

However, when I opened the set, I saw lots of excess glue along the disc edges, as described elsewhere on the net. I will try to play all the discs and let you know how it goes.
Old 07-23-10, 12:35 AM

BEWARE

After going through all 8 discs, FIVE had major troubles. The remaining 3 had noticeable surface damage. So if anything, avoid the sets with red stickers.

I'm bringing it back to Costco tomorrow and trying my luck with a non-sticker set. Worse-case, I buy 3 sets and see if I can piece-together a functional whole. Eight Hitchcocks for $22 is too good a deal to pass up.

Such a bummer, as the packing looks great and obviously cost a lot of money. It makes you wonder why the cheaped-out on the discs.
Old 07-23-10, 12:46 AM

Yeah that is a big bummer.. You figure they had years to fix the problem and press new discs. But I guess maybe that is why they are so cheap??

If by chance someone(Joe Camel said he'd look) does pick up a copy for me. Please open the thing and check for me. I'd hate to get a non working set that I cannot return.
Old 07-23-10, 12:50 AM

I can confirm also that the problems don't appear to be packaging-related (though using the packaging unmodified WILL scratch-up the discs). The bad discs have this wavy extra amount of plastic/glue/epoxy around the edge of them that throws them off balance in the player. One also had a silver layer where the edges appeared to be melting or rotting away.

Truly horrendous manufacturing.

A penny DVD-R from the dollar store is higher quality.
Old 07-23-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

This is one of the most frustrating situations for a Hitchcock fan. Despite how much I want this set, I won't buy it no matter how low the price goes due to the widely reported defects.
Old 07-23-10, 03:20 PM
Cool New Member

For what it's worth, I just picked up one of the sets without the sticker. No obvious physical problems with any of the discs. Playing through them now to see if they're alright.
Old 07-23-10, 03:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

After reading these posts I checked my copy and had no problems. No glue or damaged discs.
Old 07-23-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks to everyone who is reporting their luck on these sets.

Hoping at least some of these from Costco are problem free. 8 Hitchcock Films I don't own for $22 is too good of a deal to pass on.
Old 07-23-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there a quick way to check the discs without playing the entire film straight through on a DVD player?

If I were to try to put one in DVDShrink and "open" it, if it opens it does that mean the disc is not defective? I want to get this, but don't have the time to sit down and watch all 8 films straight through to check them.

Is simply going through hitting "Next" on each film a way to be sure they are fine? I'd hate to be watching one in like 2 months only to have it crap out on me.
Old 07-23-10, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Is there a quick way to check the discs without playing the entire film straight through on a DVD player?

If I were to try to put one in DVDShrink and "open" it, if it opens it does that mean the disc is not defective? I want to get this, but don't have the time to sit down and watch all 8 films straight through to check them.

Is simply going through hitting "Next" on each film a way to be sure they are fine? I'd hate to be watching one in like 2 months only to have it crap out on me.
The bad discs have noticeable physical problems you can actually see. Either the silver layer looks milky/deformed or there is extra glue/plastic along the outside of the disc. You will also often hear loud vibration when the disc first spins up.
Old 07-23-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RequiemX
The bad discs have noticeable physical problems you can actually see. Either the silver layer looks milky/deformed or there is extra glue/plastic along the outside of the disc. You will also often hear loud vibration when the disc first spins up.
Thanks, I'll be playing Hitchcock DVD roulette some time this weekend.

Nothing like getting a good deal on great films AND gambling...thanks MGM!
Old 07-23-10, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I want these films, I'm not willing to go through the frustration. Shame on MGM for not pulling these off the markets and making good ones.
Old 07-24-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds good. I didn't see it when I went last week. But I'll keep a look out for it. I already have Notorious, Spellbound, and Rebecca from this collection, but that sounds like a good price for the set.
Old 07-24-10, 11:38 PM

SUCCESS!

Went back today to return my bad red-sticker set. Costco wins again for their awesome returns attitude. I asked the folks there if they've had any of these sets returns and they said no. First good sign.

I then went and bought 2 non-sticker sets (the only 2 left without the red stickers). I figured if the first set doesn't work, I could try to swap discs to get one good set.

Visually inspected both sets at home. Two big differences between these sets and my red-sticker set:

1. These sets did not have the very tight shrinkwrap around the book! Some folks say the shrinkwrap warps the DVDs and causes them to vibrate and skip. So this was another good sign.

2. While the discs still look cheaply made, there was much less excess glue/plastic around the edges. The disc surfaces also looked much better. Yet another good sign.

I then tested the discs from both sets and no vibration! No skips! They seem fine.

If you want to give this deal a try, Costco (with their great return policy) is the place to do it. I recommend buying 2-3 sets (not hard at only $22 each) and you may very well get at least 1 good one.

Remember: look for the red sticker on the bottom next to the UPC!
Old 07-25-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
As much as I want these films, I'm not willing to go through the frustration. Shame on MGM for not pulling these off the markets and making good ones.
this.

My costco unfortunately doesn't stock this
Old 07-25-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The individual releases don't face the same disc problems, right? Doesn't all of it have to do with the packaging? I'll end up going the individual release route when they go on sale if that's the case.
Old 07-25-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The costco I went to today did not stock this. I'll try a different one later this week.
Old 07-25-10, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
The individual releases don't face the same disc problems, right? Doesn't all of it have to do with the packaging? I'll end up going the individual release route when they go on sale if that's the case.
The individual releases apparently have the same problems. I believe it to be disc, not packing issues. However, some believe that the packaging may make things worse.

All I know is that I got 8 great Hitchcocks for $22.
Old 07-25-10, 03:17 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The reviews on the individual releases on amazon don't indicate the same problem in such a severe manner as the set.
Old 07-25-10, 07:46 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

No set to be found in the SoCal 90630 store. Anyone confirm availability in the Torrance store in SoCal ? TIA

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.