Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Dollar Tree DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Dollar Tree DVDs

I've got thousands of cases I'm about to throw away. You're not near DC are you JohnIan?
Nope. I'm in Southern California.

Thanks for the offer though.
Old 09-10-16, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to three more DTs today - the ones that weren't as close - because someone else was driving and wanted to go. Can't beat that. Unfortunately, those are the ones I should have checked yesterday, because they were pretty well picked over today - at least Blu-wise. I wasn't able to do an early morning run, and didn't have the time and energy for much later in the day yesterday. Out of the 35 reported Blus, I think I ended up with maybe 10 (one today). There are still a few more stores to check back on that didn't have stock yesterday, but I'm not making that trip today - too tired now. Maybe tomorrow. Really happy with what I got overall though, so it might be a case of diminishing returns at this point to look for the few more that may be interesting. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Anyway, my finds today:

Blu-ray

- Are You Here (was glad to find this - with these actors, even if it's not great, it's guaranteed to at least be cute and pleasant)

DVD

- 8-Action Film Pack (x3 – 1 for myself, 2 for cases)
- Betty White Collection (I saw two versions of the this – with the only difference, as far as I could tell, being the size of the case. I got the thicker case, because this is a 4-disc set. Probably doesn't matter though, because this is Echo Bridge/Mill Creek/whatever, so the discs are probably stacked either way, lol.)
- Cashmere Mafia: The Complete Series (x2 – one was a gift for my sister; at these prices, why lend?)
- Life Partners (I like Adam Brody and the girl)
- Mr. Nobody (I'm betting we'll see the Blu-ray in a future wave, but I really wanted this, so I'll gamble for a buck)
- Visitors (looks like Deathship, and I like Radha Mitchell, so we'll see)

At one of the DTs, an old lady asked me for advice about DVDs because I was "the expert," hahaha. I told her Parkland was great, she told me Reign Over Me was great (I agreed), and she asked me about Upside Down. I told I haven't seen it, but I heard it was good - weird but good. She said she liked weird. This conversation was better than any of the movies I've found.

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 09-10-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 03:48 PM

At one of the DTs, an old lady asked me for advice about DVDs because I was "the expert,
I've had that happen at Wal-Mart, some lady see me there on Tuesdays regularly. Not advice, but asking where to locate a title. Told her (cause I'm that anal), that what she's looking for won't be released until next week.

Is "Cashmere Mafia: The Complete Series", I barely remember that?
Old 09-10-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Yeah. I'm guessing this is the Sony version, as Mill Creek just had a new edition out last month.
Old 09-10-16, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more DVDs that I have not seen mentioned

Kidnapping Mr. Heineken
Bad Lieutenant / Trespass Double Feature
Brother's Keeper
Strangerland
Bernie
The Paperboy w/ Digital Copy
The Poker Club
Shrek 2
Roadie
Double Platinum
Old 09-10-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Mr. Nobody is a great, great movie. I actually paid full price for it and think it's one of the more clever movies released in the past decade.
Old 09-10-16, 07:45 PM

I've had that happen at Wal-Mart, some lady see me there on Tuesdays regularly. Not advice, but asking where to locate a title. Told her (cause I'm that anal), that what she's looking for won't be released until next week.
It's always fun when someone in a store starts a conversation with you about movies. I'm not really one to mingle with strangers, but I always enjoy talking movies!

Just looked... It is indeed the Sony version.

Final run

Really frustrating to go back to stores that were empty yesterday and had movies today but very few or no Blus. Either really uneven distribution or a small supply of Blus that were quickly taken. Unless you're there at the magic hour, you're out of luck.

DVDs really outnumber by the Blus by a wide margin. If they were interesting and varied DVDs like we've gotten in past sales, I wouldn't mind as much. But the DVD selection is the same old few movies this time around, most of which also have Blus in this deal, making it pointless to purchase the DVD versions. Mr. Nobody, The Betty White Collection, Cashmere Mafia: The Complete Series, and that 8-pack of terrible direct-to-video action movies were probably the DVD highlights this round (IMO).

Still, I'm happy with how I did overall.

Latest haul:

Blu-ray

- Ernest Goes to Jail (eh, why not - should be fun)

DVD

- The Brass Teapot (I'm aware that the Blu is in this run too, but sure as heck not in my area - it looks enjoyable enough that I'm okay with the DVD for a buck vs. nothing at all)
- Tortured (I'll probably regret this, but it looks interesting)

Book

- Flip by Kevin Cook (I'm not familiar with Flip Wilson, but Redd Foxx, George Carlin, and Richard Pryor I do know - and he apparently influenced and/or helped them. The back of the cover said The Flip Wilson Show and All in the Family were competing in the ratings every week. Pretty impressive!)

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 09-10-16 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Mr. Nobody is a great, great movie. I actually paid full price for it and think it's one of the more clever movies released in the past decade.
Hit a couple of stores today and found all kinds of good stuff at 2 of them. Listed many BDs in the thread in that forum.

I can't recall if I saw Mr. Nobody or not. Might have to go back for another look in the next day or 2, based on your recommendation. Did buy Kidnapping Mr. Heineken, Survivor & 2 discs of Transformer cartoons
Old 09-11-16, 04:55 AM
Cool New Member

Old 09-11-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Hit a couple of stores today and found all kinds of good stuff at 2 of them. Listed many BDs in the thread in that forum.

I can't recall if I saw Mr. Nobody or not. Might have to go back for another look in the next day or 2, based on your recommendation. Did buy Kidnapping Mr. Heineken, Survivor & 2 discs of Transformer cartoons
Kidnapping Mr. Heineken is okay if you love Anthony Hopkins. Others may find it more patchy.

http://doblu.com/2015/04/18/kidnappi...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-11-16, 07:10 PM

Said screw it.

Went to two more DTs.

Picked up eleven copies of "Don't Mess With The Zohan" for cases; now gone minus one I'm saving for a package I'm expecting later this week.

For watching I picked up...

Strangerland
Stolen
The Runner (with slipcover)
The Paperboy

Did not see any copies of "Cashmere Mafia". I did run into "Kidnapping Mr. Heineken", but opted not to get it.
Old 09-12-16, 05:59 PM

Didn't see this thread and had no idea DVD's were back at DT...
Went to first DT and found just a few DVDs and 1 BR...
Traveled to DT #2 and hit the jackpot!
Picked up:

Blu-ray:

Angels Crest
Answer Man, The
Are You Here
Good Doctor, The
Good Neighbors
Hijacking
Home Run
Jungle Shuffle
Killing Season
Ondine
Parkland w/slipcover
Perfect Host
Reach Me
Roadie
Shadow dancer
Stolen
Strangeland
To The Wonder
Trespass
What Massie Knew

DVDs:

Architect, The
Are You Here
Brother’s Keeper
Kidnapping Mr Heineken
Mr Nobody
Parkland
Reach Me
Roadie
Runner, The
Strangerland
Survivor
Old 09-12-16, 06:15 PM
Cool New Member

Nothing at my two closest stores. I'll hit more of them Wednesday to see if any others in SE Michigan stocked. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 09-12-16, 06:44 PM

I used up all the cases I bought, replacing my eco ones.

Remembered I saw a few copies of "The Architect" there. So went back to my local store and hoping they might still have them.

Turns out they got restocked. Just more of the same.

Took a few more copies of "Don't Mess With The Zohan". But saw no copies of "Cashmere Mafia".
Old 09-13-16, 05:14 PM

Went to the final location that hadn't put out anything. It was mostly full up front, but there were just enough empty spaces that it's probable some sweathog hoarder took all the Blu-rays before I got there (except for one lone copy of Are You Here).

Still, I picked up three DVDs - two of which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else (don't get too excited - these are hardly Criterions):

- Hey Vern, It's Ernest!: The Complete Series (I got Ernest Goes to Jail in this sale, and had Ernest Goes to Camp before, so why not)
- Touching Wild Horses (I like Jane Seymour, so worth a shot)
- Shrek 2 (gift)

Just realized Wild Horses is non-anamorphic. Oh well, it was only a buck.

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 09-13-16 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:06 PM
Cool New Member

I stopped at 5 locations today. My 2 local stores did not receive stock, though the farther one store "soldiered on" and filled their huge display with the 15 DVDs and 2 DVD gift box boxes they've had for months. I give them huge credit for "trying!" I think I'll call both on Friday to see if they received new movies. I remember my closest store was about 2 weeks behind the last time. They just filled an unused check out section with them. I sat there, Indian style, and found a ton of treasures.

At the three stores that restocked I picked up the following from the first two:

360 [Has Anthony Hopkins!]
8 Action Film Pack (contains at least 2 of the movies below)
A Little Bit of Heaven
All In
Angel in the House
Are You Here
Architect, The
Bernie
Brass Teapot, The
Brother's Keeper
Dude, Where's My Dog
Elsa & Fred
Good Neighbors
Good People [Has James Franco!]
Home is Where the Heart Is (w/slip cover and Vudu code insert)
Home Run
Kidnapping Mr. Heineken
L.A. Story
Life Partners
Mr. Nobody
Parkland [Story of post 11/22/63]
Prince Avalanche
Rampart
Reach Me (w/slip cover)
Roadie
Stolen
Strangerland (w/slip cover)
The Paperboy
Tortured
Upside Down
Visitors
What Maisie Knew

Several movies included "digital copies on the disc." I am a bit suspicious. I'll give it a try later.

The third stop was just duplicates of the above titles. I did find a DVD of Double Platinum but I was 95% sure the case was empty, so I passed. There was also some Tae Bow (sp?) and work out DVDs I'd not seen before and a Littlest Pet Shop DVD I passed on. I'll try two more tomorrow on my way home.

Last edited by jennb823; 09-13-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to 2 more out of the way stores and both still had a ton left (or they restocked), I'd guess 70+ DVD's apiece, but not much new. No Cashmere Mafia. The ones I saw for the 1st time that sort of stood out were:

4 Film Pack Special Forces with Black Ops, Way Of War, U.S. Seals: Dead Or Alive and Special Forces.
Coach with Hugh Dancy, Jonathan Gutierrez, Liane Balaban, Mamie Gummer, Benjamin Walker, Michael Chernus and Gillian Jacobs.
The Squeeze with Jeremy Sumpter, Katherine LaNasa, Christopher McDonald, Jason Dohring, Jillian Murray & a Vudu code inside.

I picked up the last 2 at 1 store, and left the 4pack at the other, as the line was long at that store and I'd recently bought 1 of those movies in an 8-pack.
Old 09-14-16, 12:49 AM

I went back for more cases.

For watching, I picked "Parkland" (with slipcover) and "The Poker Club".
Old 09-14-16, 10:43 AM

Went to a few more DT's and picked up:

Blu-ray:

Good People
Great Buck Howard, The
Life Before Her Eyes, The
Runner, The
Upside Down
Wonderful World

DVDs:

8 Action Film Pack
All In - The Poker Movie
Brass Teapot, The
Good People
Prince Avalanche
Transformers Energon - Vol. 1

Still need on BR:

Brass teapot
Brother’s Keeper
Prince Avalanche
Time Lapse
Old 09-14-16, 07:15 PM

Went to one more than sometimes restocks, and they did...with the same old 2-3 stranded Blu-rays and a ton of DVDs. I actually went there for another mini blue tin of danish butter cookies, and I was honestly more gutted when I couldn't find those.

I grabbed some DVDs and Kettle Corn-flavored Pop Chips.

- The Architect (Anthony LaPaglia, Viola Davis, Bucky from Captain America, and Walton Goggins - this has to be the cast of the century)
- Echoes of War (I've seen this in the past 1 or 2 sales, and it was either now or never - has the same actor as Parkland, James Badge Dale, so it's a nice complement to that)
- Kidnapping Mr. Heineken (I can't remember if other people found this on Blu-ray, but I sure as hell never did, so DVD it is)
Old 09-15-16, 03:58 AM

Went back, picked their last copy of "The Poker Club" for the case.

I have decent pile of cases in wait for this year's Black Friday.

Am pleased.
Old 09-15-16, 04:34 PM

Picked up:

Monsuno: Destiny
Old 09-18-16, 04:11 PM
Cool New Member

I'm a bit late in posting my finds from Wednesday. Despite stopping at literally 12 more stores after that one, Wednesday was my only success. It seems that this single store received nearly an entire different stock than every other store near my home or work. My two 2 closest stores never received any DVDs as of yet.

I picked up these ones:

Ava & Lala (w/Vudu code)
Axel: The Biggest Little Hero (w/Vudu code)
Benji & For the Love of Benji (1 Disc, 2 Movies)
Blue Smoke
Carolina Moon
Counterfeiters, The
Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King
Double Platinum
Fat Boy Chronicles, The
Fragments
Gigli
Half Nelson
Harry Brown
Head in the Clouds
High Noon
In the Name of the King 2: Two Worlds (Unreadable Disc)
Joneses, The
Kickin' it Old Skool
Lymelife
Maiden Heist, The
Man from Elysian Fields, The
Masked and Anonymous
Nothing But the Truth
Recount
Seattle Superstorm (w/Expired Vudu code)
Smother
Spinning into Butter
Subject Two
Suburban Madness
Sugar
The Informant (Previously viewed - Rental version)
Ticking Clock
Tribute
Vampires Suck

As a follow up, I found that the discs that say "Includes Free Digital Copy" along the top have an M4V file copy of the movie on the root of the disc, when opened on a computer.
Old 09-18-16, 06:32 PM

Which version of "High Noon"?

And does "Vampires Suck"... suck?

Both of these titles I didn't see.
Old 09-21-16, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Which version of "High Noon"?
Most likely this one:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.