Young Indiana Jones $38.10 each at DeepDiscount

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 05-20-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volume 1

All 3 collections are priced at $38.10, and looks like they finally lowered the retail price from $129 to $59, with a 6/1/2010 re-release date

If it is still too expensive for you, in the UK, the sets all go for about $25 each after exchange rates, with all the same extras and episodes. Only difference being in PAL and Region 2.

Last edited by manicsounds; 05-20-10 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-20-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Young Indiana Jones $38.10 each at DeepDiscount

Better, but this will have to come down more for me to care... if they were unaltered from what originally aired, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat.
Old 05-20-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for pointing out the price drop, was able to finally get volume 1 at Barnes and Noble for 35$ plus tax and 8% bing.

30% off coupon code is Y3V4U3X (30% off list price).
Old 05-20-10, 10:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazon UK has Vol. 2 & 3 listed for 23(lbs) each - works out to much more than $25 per set. Were they priced lower at one point? --Peter
Old 05-20-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Thanks for pointing out the price drop, was able to finally get volume 1 at Barnes and Noble for 35$ plus tax and 8% bing.

30% off coupon code is Y3V4U3X (30% off list price).
You'd be better off using the bn.com/gsa link for 11% off instantly instead of Bing. For v2 and v3, coupon GSA1020 (20% off, valid once per email address, must use the gsa link I just mentioned) would be better since it goes off of the sale price, not list. So v2 and v3 come to $28.47+tax. v1 is priced higher for some reason. It would be $31.14 using the gsa link, plus your coupon code...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 05-20-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-20-10, 11:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

None of the B&N coupon codes worked for me. Do you have to be a member to use them? I was logging in via AAA for their 10%. --Peter
Old 05-20-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Proglodite
None of the B&N coupon codes worked for me. Do you have to be a member to use them? I was logging in via AAA for their 10%. --Peter
The 20% coupon I posted must be used through the bn.com/gsa link... I amended my post to reflect that...
Old 05-20-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You'd be better off using the bn.com/gsa link for 11% off instantly instead of Bing. For v2 and v3, coupon GSA1020 (20% off, valid once per email address, must use the gsa link I just mentioned) would be better since it goes off of the sale price, not list. So v2 and v3 come to $28.47+tax. v1 is priced higher for some reason. It would be $31.14 using the gsa link, plus your coupon code...
Doh!
Old 05-20-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember it being a decent show, and Powder made a good Indy, but that price needs to drop. Maybe by Christmas?
Old 05-20-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Both coupons can be used by anyone. Perhaps the AAA link has restrictions. Just use the gsa link instead...
Old 05-20-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've noticed there is a problem with a lot of the coupons today when I tried using them outside of regular B&N.com web site. I'm getting a message my order does not qualify when I tried applying different coupons at several of the bookstore links. Not sure what is going on but it is possible it's a temporary glitch. You may want to try again later on.

Normally if you do not have a B&N membership you should be able to use a majority of the non-member coupons unless there are specific restrictions that prohibits the usage. Most of the non-member coupons should work at the AAA link, and do not require a B&N membership.

Also did you try the exclusive 15% coupon for AAA members? That should at least work at the AAA web site and stack with the 10% off.

No. Both coupons can be used by anyone. Perhaps the AAA link has restrictions. Just use the gsa link instead...
There does seem to be a problem with a lot of the coupons today if you try using them anywhere but the regular B&N.com web site. You should be able to use most of the coupons at the AAA link. It is not much different compared to the gsa link once you've logged in.
Old 05-20-10, 03:13 PM

Mucho thanks, Kenbenobi for the reminder to use GSA and the 20% coupon. It was a bit of a pain having to order each set individually to get the 20%, but it was working fine for me, as you described this afternoon.

This set is so pricey because of the incredible extra feature documentaries included. Check them out in the description on Amazon. They have a ton of special documentaries with each volume, and I have been waiting ages for the price to drop. I suspect Blu ray treatment around the corner is the reason for the price drop.
Old 05-20-10, 03:33 PM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Thanks, OP, I'm glad you found this bargain.

And now, to George... It's still too expensive. No. No, no, no I won't get them even at this price. No.

NO.

I'll see you at $75 for the complete series, sir.
Old 05-20-10, 05:03 PM

I agree the price is high, but the entertainment and history lesson value is also very high. Once I saw all the historical supplements for each volume, I began to covet them. Not 120 dollars worth per volume or even 80 dollars, but they are definitely worth 30 bucks a volume for me right now. Yes, they will all be collected for 75 dollars some year. But my kids are ready for them now.

From DVD review, here is a sample of what the special feature (15 hours worth on volume one) include:

Each episode has a selection of documentaries about the historical figure or events that Indy encounters. Disc one has the 19 minute “Archeology – Unearthing our Past,” the 22 minute “Howard Carter and the Tomb of Tutankhamun,” the 36 minute “Colonel Lawrence’s War – T.E. Lawrence and Arabia,” and the 30 minute “From Slavery to Freedom.”

Disc three has the 30 minute “Theodore Roosevelt and the American Century,” the 24 minute “Ecology: Pulse of the Planet,” the 24 minute “American Dreams: Norman Rockwell and the Saturday Evening Post,” the 26 minute “Art Rebellion: The Making of the Modern,” the 22 minute “Edgar Degas: Reluctant Rebel, and the 23 minute “Braque and Picasso: A Collaboration Cubed.”

Disc five has the 25 minute “Giacomo Puccini: Music of the Heart,” the 29 minute “It’s Opera!,” the 20 minute “The Archduke’s Last Journey: End of an Era,” the 26 minute “Powder Keg: Europe from 1900 to 1914,” the 21 minute “Sigmund Freud: Exploring the Unconscious,” the 19 minute “Carl Jung and the Journey of Self Discovery,” and the 26 minute “Psychology: Charting the Human Mind.”

Disc six contains the 31 minute “Seeking Truth: The Life of Leo Tolstoy,” the 26 minute “Unquiet Voices: Russian Writers and the State,” the 21 minute “Aristotle: Creating Foundations,” the 23 minute Ancient Questions: Philosophy and Our Search for Meaning.” Disc seven has the 26 minute “Jiddu Krishnamurti: The Reluctant Messiah,” the 26 minute “Annie Besant: An Unlikely Rebel,” the 26 minute “Medicine in the Middle Kingdom,” and the 29 minute “Eastern Spirituality: The Road to Enlightenment.”

Disc nine has the 26 minute “Thomas Alva Edison: Lighting the World,” the 22 minute “Invention and Innovation: What’s Behind a Good Idea?,” the 26 minute “Mystery of Edward Stratemeyer,” the 28 minute “Wanted Dead or Alive: Pancho Villa and the American Invasion of Mexico,” the 28 minute “General John J. Pershing and the American Army,” and the 29 minute “George S. Patton: American Achilles.”

Disc eleven has the 25 minute “Easter Rising: the Poet’s Rebellion,” the 27 minute “The Passions of William Butler Yeats,” the 25 minute “Sean O’Casey vs. Ireland,” the 26 minute “Ireland: The Power of the Poets,” the 33 minute “Winston Churchill: The Lion’s Roar,” the 27 minute “Demanding the Vote: the Pankhursts and British Suffrage,” and the 31 minute “Fighting for the Vote: Women’s Suffrage in America.”

Disc twelve has a 41 minute “Historical Lecture: The Promise of Progress” by Professor H.W. Brands from the University of Texas at Austin.

This disc also contains the DVD-ROM features of an interactive timeline and a game.

It may be a little too convenient that a great deal of famous historical faces happens to intersect with Indiana Jones, but it does make for entertaining history lessons. This set does the show one better and includes enough documentaries to make sure that you’ll at least score a “B” on the next history quiz. The set comes highly recommended as both entertainment and education.
Old 05-20-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie
if they were unaltered from what originally aired, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat.
This is one show I remember the whole family sitting around and watching together when it was originally on. We liked the 10-year-old Indy better than teenage Indy.

I was about to order Vol 1 when I saw this comment. Could you elaborate?
Old 05-20-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Each episode was 45 minutes in length originally (without commericals). For reissues on VHS and also here on DVD, they edited 2 episodes together for a 90 minute movie length episodes. I don't think anything was "cut", they usually inserted a train scene in the middle to show they were traveling to the next part.

And for the UK sets, yes they were around 17 or 18 pounds at amazon recently, and they are on some other UK sites. It fluctuates often.
Old 05-20-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quatermass

I believe there were some intro scenes with Harrison Ford on the original broadcasts and those have been removed.

This wasn't a deal killer for me, because of all the additional content added, but it is pretty annoying.
Old 05-20-10, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Yes the purists are angry because a lot of the intros and endings were cut when the series was put on DVD (they were called bookends with a 93 year old Indy). These episodes started with a very old Indy telling stories of his adventures to kids and then cutting to the main story finally ending with Indy promising the kids another tale next week. When the episodes were combined to form 90 minute episode/movies, that transition was cut.

According to Wikipedia, this had always been Lucas' plan, which was due to the high cost of the production (filmed all over the world vs in a studio).

"The series was unusual in that it was shot on location around the world. Partly to offset the cost of this, the series was shot on 16mm film, rather than 35. The series was designed so that each pair of episodes could either be broadcast separately, or as a 2-hour film-length episode. Each episode cost about $1.5 million and the filming with Young Indy usually took around 3 weeks. The first production filming alternated between "Sean" and "Corey" episodes. The segments with old Indy were referred to as "bookends."

The revised and updated edition of the book George Lucas: The Creative Impulse, by Charles Champlin, explains how The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles series would be re-edited into the new structure of twenty-two Chapter TV films, for the 1999 VHS release.

New footage was shot in 1996 to be incorporated with the newly re-edited and re-titled "chapters" to better help it chronologically and provide smooth transitions. The newly shot Tangiers, 1908 was joined with Egypt, 1908 from the Curse of the Jackal to form My First Adventure, and Morocco, 1917 was joined with Northern Italy, 1918 (now re-dated as 1917) to form Tales of Innocence. Also included in the home video release were four unaired episodes made for the ABC network, Florence, May 1908, Prague, 1917, Transylvania, 1918, and Palestine, 1917. The series itself was also re-titled as The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones.

The 93-year-old Indy bookends for the original series were removed, as well as Sean Patrick Flanery's bookend for "Travels With Father". However, the Harrison Ford bookend, set in 1950, from "Mystery of The Blues" was not cut."

Not a big deal to me, as it was always part of the plan to turn these episodes into mini-movies.
Old 05-21-10, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They delayed my order so I was able to cancel and redo it. It actually worked out better for v1 to use the GSA1020 code, which gave me -$10.81 for $26.68. Thanks ken

(threw in a cheapy Dr. Who disc as well for 5$)
Old 05-21-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They delayed my order so I was able to cancel and redo it. It actually worked out better for v1 to use the GSA1020 code, which gave me -$10.81 for $26.68. Thanks ken

(threw in a cheapy Dr. Who disc as well for 5$)
V1 and V2 dropped in price from when I originally posted. Ya, you aren't gonna beat $26 anytime soon. I'm glad I waited. Placing an order today... Glad you were able to cancel and re-order! That's a big savings...
Old 05-21-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe there were some intro scenes with Harrison Ford on the original broadcasts and those have been removed.
Originally Posted by HOSALE
The 93-year-old Indy bookends for the original series were removed, as well as Sean Patrick Flanery's bookend for "Travels With Father". However, the Harrison Ford bookend, set in 1950, from "Mystery of The Blues" was not cut."
Sooo... was the Harrison Ford bookend cut, or not? Does anyone know for sure?
Old 05-21-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the info. If memory serves me, and it usually doesn't, Harrison Ford only appeared in the bookends for one episode. He was made up to look like he was in his 60's or so. I don't think he actually spoke, he was just going through a trunk of old items and at one point played a Soprano saxophone that figured into that week's story.
If it's missing, that sucks, but I don't think it's a total deal breaker for me. The extras sound pretty good and it's unlikely to be released again. My only fear is that if I buy them, they'll will show up at BigLots for $8 or $10 a couple of months later.
Old 05-21-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sooo... was the Harrison Ford bookend cut, or not? Does anyone know for sure?
According to the dvdtalk review of volume 3:

Considering the George Hall bookends have been removed for the purposes of this release many fans of Young Indiana Jones were wondering if Harrison Ford's piece was going to remain for "Mystery of the Blues". Well, fans rejoice because Ford does indeed appear for his bit in this episode. He introduces the flashback and closes out the episode.
btw, kenbenobi, thanks for the tip on the bn deal, I picked up vol. 1&2. I'm still. Debating vol. 3.
Old 05-21-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered the first set for $26.68 from bn.com. I remember enjoying this show as a kid but have no idea how it has held up. If I like it I'd prefer a complete series collection (anyone know if one is coming?) but I didn't want to drop the cash on more than one set right now if it ends up being cheesy.
Old 05-21-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JackBurton
btw, kenbenobi, thanks for the tip on the bn deal, I picked up vol. 1&2. I'm still. Debating vol. 3.
My pleasure! B&N rarely has a good deal on a new release, but their sale prices combined with coupons can provide a great deal every now and then... Huge thanks to manicsounds for starting this thread, since I didn't even know about the price drop. Otherwise I would have never searched for these on B&N...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 05-21-10 at 02:28 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.