(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

This was a helluva time to find out that Third Man is OOP.
Old 06-10-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
This was a helluva time to find out that Third Man is OOP.
I think I bought the last copy from BN.com. It went out of print in October or November of 2009 but I found the SD available for order from BN in January. As soon as I placed my order it was no longer available. I really wanted the BD but it was already too late.
Old 06-10-10, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
I think I bought the last copy from BN.com. It went out of print in October or November of 2009 but I found the SD available for order from BN in January. As soon as I placed my order it was no longer available. I really wanted the BD but it was already too late.
Ah ... So you're the one! Sorry, didn't catch your address, home number, and household composition ...
Old 06-11-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

criterion forum folks are reporting 7/17 and that it will run into early August.
Old 06-11-10, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlivesay
The Criterion 50% Off Sale at Barnes & Noble will start July 20, 2010. My guess is that it will only last 2 weeks.
Originally Posted by brizz
criterion forum folks are reporting 7/17 and that it will run into early August.
Who is the source for these conflicting rumors on the sale start date? I do find the July 20th date more believable since B&N typically officially start a lot of their sales on Tuesdays and not Saturdays. Also both of the other Criterion sales began last year at stores on Tuesday. However it would be nice to know where the information came from before believing it as fact.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 06-11-10 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-11-10, 11:02 AM

I reported the start date of July 20th. I'm a Barnes & Noble employee. The info trickled down from higher up. I haven't heard about an end date but my guess would be August 2nd.
Old 06-11-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tlivesay
I reported the start date of July 20th. I'm a Barnes & Noble employee. The info trickled down from higher up. I haven't heard about an end date but my guess would be August 2nd.
Thanks! Sounds like you have a reliable source. Think you are also probably correct about the end date. Last years sale ended August 3rd.
Old 06-11-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Any idea about coupons that might stack with the expected Criterion sale during the July 20th timeframe? ...or is it too early to tell?

I checked the Barnes and Noble coupon thread and didn't see anything yet (btw thanks Lastermovies for maintaining that thread). The coupons last year made the deal.
Old 06-11-10, 05:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Any idea about coupons that might stack with the expected Criterion sale during the July 20th timeframe? ...or is it too early to tell?

I checked the Barnes and Noble coupon thread and didn't see anything yet (btw thanks Lastermovies for maintaining that thread). The coupons last year made the deal.
As mentioned all the time, the coupon use is always going to be YMMV. They should work, one per member, per the fine print. But again, each one of us will have different experiences.
Old 06-11-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow

It's too early to know yet what will be available for the sale. However I will say probably more or less what you see on the list currently. I would expect there will be 15% and 10% online coupons, maybe a few store coupons. There should be another $5/$5/$5 member coupon around the start of July.
Old 06-15-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this sale instore only or online also?
Old 06-15-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
Is this sale in-store only or online also?
It's both, but the really awesome savings kicks-in in when you can parlay the $5/$5/$5 coupons, and they are only effective in-store.
Old 06-16-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
It's both, but the really awesome savings kicks-in in when you can parlay the $5/$5/$5 coupons, and they are only effective in-store.
Actually, last time around you could use each of the $5/$5/$5 codes once online also, which resulted in the absolute best prices of the sale.

And for some reason, one of the codes allowed me to use it multiple times. Like, 12 times.
Old 06-16-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Actually, last time around you could use each of the $5/$5/$5 codes once online also, which resulted in the absolute best prices of the sale.

And for some reason, one of the codes allowed me to use it multiple times. Like, 12 times.
Really? So you were getting $40 titles for $13? I'll have to keep checking back here during the sale......it will save me some runnin' around. Also, one store near me has a real douche-bag who works in the media department, and only allows 1 coupon.
Old 06-16-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? So you were getting $40 titles for $13? I'll have to keep checking back here during the sale......it will save me some runnin' around. Also, one store near me has a real douche-bag who works in the media department, and only allows 1 coupon.
It won't work online. The problem is $39.99 list Criterion titles are reduced to $19.99 online during the sale. The coupon will only work with DVDs that have a online price of $20 or more.
Old 06-16-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies guys I don't live in the US so I'm hoping to pick up some good bargains online, if applicable. Else I would have to get them during the current DDD sale. For the record I'm eyeing most of the Criterion Blu rays that are out currently.
Old 06-16-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Do they usually make an announcement before the sale starts?
Old 06-19-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
It won't work online. The problem is $39.99 list Criterion titles are reduced to $19.99 online during the sale. The coupon will only work with DVDs that have a online price of $20 or more.
Oh, that's right. I forgot that we've all been really lucky getting away with that "one penny glitch" thus far.

Really, it is something they can correct with just a few keystrokes prior to the start of the next sale. Let's hope they don't because it would be really disappointing to lose a chance at saving $5 over a penny.
Old 06-19-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really? So you were getting $40 titles for $13?
Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression. Online I used the $5/$5/$5 on boxsets with MSRP > $40. It's particularly good on $45 Eclipse sets, paired with a ~$10 CD (their online CD prices destroy their in-store prices) and then one or two lower-tier Criterions to hit the $50 total mark.
Old 06-19-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression. Online I used the $5/$5/$5 on boxsets with MSRP > $40. It's particularly good on $45 Eclipse sets, paired with a ~$10 CD (their online CD prices destroy their in-store prices) and then one or two lower-tier Criterions to hit the $50 total mark.
Got it. I'll use one online for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro Blu-ray box.
Old 06-20-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
But it's a good opportunity to get Seven Samurai ($49.99 list price) cheap, and some other items like the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set.
Old 06-20-10, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
But it's a good opportunity to get Seven Samurai ($49.99 list price) cheap, and some other items like the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set.
...but probably hold off on Seven Samurai, because it's supposed to be on blu-ray towards the end of the year.
Old 06-21-10, 01:33 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh, that's right. I forgot that we've all been really lucky getting away with that "one penny glitch" thus far.

Really, it is something they can correct with just a few keystrokes prior to the start of the next sale. Let's hope they don't because it would be really disappointing to lose a chance at saving $5 over a penny.
The coupon says "The $5 off will be applied to (1) DVD, of the Member's choice, with a minimum B&N selling price of $20 - and will be deducted after all other discounts, including the standard Member discount, are applied. The B&N Selling Price is the price at the cash register before taxes and discounts, including the standard Member discount, are applied."

I used the coupon all the time during the last sale. It won't work in the EAH or the Red Ballon or White Mane disc, because those are priced under $20. But all the $29.99 and $39.99 discs will.
Old 06-21-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
The coupon says "The $5 off will be applied to (1) DVD, of the Member's choice, with a minimum B&N selling price of $20 - and will be deducted after all other discounts, including the standard Member discount, are applied. The B&N Selling Price is the price at the cash register before taxes and discounts, including the standard Member discount, are applied."
My local B&N (Austin, TX Arboretum) claimed the Criterions were under a "temporary price reduction" therefore not eligible for coupon as worded since the selling price was now $19.99/$15.00. Although this seems silly apparently they consulted with "corporate" about coupons and were advised towards this.

At one point I had the head manager and she basically seemed to concede that 50% off was the best she'd give me because these were premium items with mark-up already obliterated.

YMMV - I was able to get 1 cleark at 1 store to honor coupon and she got suspicious when I had more than 1 and cut me off.
Old 06-21-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tasog37
...but probably hold off on Seven Samurai, because it's supposed to be on blu-ray towards the end of the year.
Me likey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.