Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by ADP
What happened to the Warner Classics?

Seems like there was a time when we were getting a batch every two weeks, then every few weeks, and now nothing. I picked up Donovan's Reef, Carefree, and another oldie today but nothing that hasn't been at BL for a while.
I've been wondering for a couple months when we'll see the next batch of Warner Classic movies at Big Lots. I'm dying to pick some more up.
Old 05-08-10, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Not much new but did find one copy of:

"John Carpenter's Vampires: Los Muertos"
BonJovi the vampire slayer, good campy fun
Old 05-09-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ADP
What happened to the Warner Classics?

Seems like there was a time when we were getting a batch every two weeks, then every few weeks, and now nothing. I picked up Donovan's Reef, Carefree, and another oldie today but nothing that hasn't been at BL for a while.

D
There was an article or internet posting a few months back that said Warner had contracted with a third party to destroy DVD overstock and instead of destroying the stock the third party sold it to Big Lots. Warner then sued the 3rd party. This could explain the lack of Classic Warner films lately.
Old 05-09-10, 08:11 AM

While not a DVD movie find, my local Big Lots had some of these: (YMMV)

Multi Media Storage Box
MCB-BK
7.5 x 9.7 x 23.3
This divided storage box is great for storing books, Blue Ray disks, DVD's and VHS tapes. Includes two removable dividers to keep contents in place. Iris Multi Media Storage Box Direct Link
Sold as a 2pk for $10 and the container holds 37 standard DVD's comfortably, are interlocking stackable, and are acid free!!

I picked up two 2 packs and will pick up a couple more 2 packs later on.

(Found them on an endcap next to the storage container isle)

Last edited by Skyclad01; 05-09-10 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-09-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing new I found yesterday was Moeyo Ken: The Complete Series for $3. I picked it up for a friend who is big into anime. I did find a couple more $3 books for myself:

Open Wide: How Hollywood Box Office Became A National Obsession by Dade Hayes and Jonathan Bing
Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery by Joan Rivers and Jerrilyn Farmer

I also picked up another six-pack of Howling Monkey Energy Cola for $3.60. It's actually pretty good. It tastes a bit like Red Bull Cola but better. The website is also a little...odd to say the least. More reason to try it out though!

www.howlingmonkey.com

I love picking up obscure energy drinks from Big Lots.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 05-09-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-09-10, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
There was an article or internet posting a few months back that said Warner had contracted with a third party to destroy DVD overstock and instead of destroying the stock the third party sold it to Big Lots. Warner then sued the 3rd party. This could explain the lack of Classic Warner films lately.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. As I recall there was no proof that Big Lots stock came from said third party. I think we all just assumed that. AM I wrong?
Old 05-09-10, 10:56 AM

Actually the stock was given to a second party and paid for to be destroyed, 2nd party sold the items to a 3rd party wholesaler in NY, who in turn sold it to big lots.
Old 05-09-10, 11:01 AM

^^
I thought this was in reference to the TV set flood of july 09. I thought the Warner Classics stuff was legitimate (Why else would they slash they bar codes?)
Old 05-09-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
^^
I thought this was in reference to the TV set flood of july 09. I thought the Warner Classics stuff was legitimate (Why else would they slash they bar codes?)
I'd be interested in reading that article. I know for a fact that some of those TV sets found their way to other stores. I saw a few at a Kroger store and the FYE near me had some as well. I was too late to get a lot of deals at FYE but I did find some Animaniacs and Flintstones seasons for 9.99. With my BSP and coupons I paid less. I asked the store manager why they were priced considerably lower than other seasons and he said they bought a large clearance stock from a third party distributor. I'm sure it was the same one Big Lots used.
Old 05-09-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found the article.
Old 05-09-10, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
I wonder what ever happened with this.

I believe this all hit the fan after Big Lots advertised the product in their weekly. I bet we'd have gotten a whole lot more if they hadn't done that since it seems only 750,000 out of 2 million units hit the market.
Old 05-09-10, 01:42 PM

Ultimately the company that sold the product to big lots did get to keep the product and sell it (which they still are, some people in NY would be familiar with 599dvd, for a short period of time the wherehouse where the "stolen" product was kept was sealed by the feds. That lasted all of about 3 days.

The company that was supposed to destroy the product and the company who it was subletted to are still going to court over the fiasco-
Old 05-09-10, 03:01 PM

Checking past threads, the July 29,2009 lawsuit announcement, was the start of an almost 4 month dryspell in the slashed WB titles. There was nothing between 8/02 untill right before Black Friday. I'm thinking BL, though not part of the lawsuit, took a wait and see approach.. Whether there is more in their inventory , or an upstream distributors inventory, remains to be seen.
Old 05-09-10, 05:44 PM
ADP

I don't agree with selling goods in which you took payment to destroy but darn it I'd have to grap copies of every thing I saw for my personal collection.

Hopefully we'll see some more coming our way soon. No sign of the box sets (Magnum PI, etc) did pick up "All the Pretty Horses" which has been circulating around for several weeks. Penelope Cruz is "muy caliente"
Old 05-09-10, 07:22 PM

The practice of destroying overstock makes me a little sick.
Old 05-10-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Backlog
The practice of destroying overstock makes me a little sick.
Same here. I have trouble trashing old, obsolete stuff I own because I hate seeing stuff wasted, but yet I may be doing that soon because I've been digging out obsolete computer stuff. Things like working original IBM PC motherboard, ISA cards galore, and an old QIC-80 tape drive system I paid hundreds for in the early 90's, but nobody wants them any more.

The reason they destroy product is to keep the prices high on the remaining product rather than flood the market and have to lower the price when they overproduce or there's not enough demand. You'd think they'd make the same amount of money either way, but I guess the brilliant bean counters think it's better selling a lesser quantity at a higher price than a greater quantity at a lower price. Since I'm almost totally price driven, destroying product to inflate prices goes against my nature and furthers strengthens my already rock-solid resolve only to buy DVDs (or BDs) when they are dirt cheap. At least when I trash my own obsolete stuff it's because it's worthless, nobody wants it, and taking up space rather than because I want to raise prices on customers who'd still like to buy it and don't want people owning it cheap. It's like the majority of employees at stores... they see you use a coupon or get a good deal on something and they get mad and jealous rather than be happy you saved money.
Old 05-10-10, 12:54 PM

Hey guys I just left Big Lots a message stating that A lot of people would like to see the television shows back for $3 (Ex. Tales from the crypt, Flintstones, Thundercats, Pinky and the Brain) and any other tv shows that they can bring to us. I know they most likely won't listen, but it would be cool if we all can send em messages just to bother them.
Old 05-10-10, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BigLotz
Hey guys I just left Big Lots a message stating that A lot of people would like to see the television shows back for $3 (Ex. Tales from the crypt, Flintstones, Thundercats, Pinky and the Brain) and any other tv shows that they can bring to us. I know they most likely won't listen, but it would be cool if we all can send em messages just to bother them.
Just got an automated message from them...soooo FAIL !
Old 05-11-10, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BigLotz
Just got an automated message from them...soooo FAIL !
Did you expect anything different "[sending] em messages just to bother them"? Right, I thought not.

I'm sure it's glaringly apparent to Big Lots executives that what happened in 2009 was great business, but it's not supply viable, so luck's the only thing on the horizon.

---

Picked up Bill Maher's Religulous from their drugstore bins for $7 (30% off)--a lukewarm deal but then again I'm tainted by Big Lots DVDs.
Old 05-11-10, 10:17 AM

I know what you mean. I bought the Zodiac 2-disc Director's Cut today at Big Lots for $5. I've been spoiled with the $3 finds that I hesitated on a $5 purchase, but finally gave in.
Old 05-11-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Local BL had a small stock of $5 AMC sets -

Vamps & Vixen Classics
Classic Movie Family Pack (12 movies on 6 DVDs) (of the 4 they had, 3 contains loose discs)
Special Edition - Collection 1: James Cagney / Collection 2: Great Detectives
Ultimate Collection II

Also,
The Unknown Lives of Great Comedians: Durante/Sellers/Winters/Marx Bros
and TV Guide presents Classic Television (60 episodes on 10 DVDs)
Old 05-11-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shinobi
I know what you mean. I bought the Zodiac 2-disc Director's Cut today at Big Lots for $5. I've been spoiled with the $3 finds that I hesitated on a $5 purchase, but finally gave in.
I probably would have paid $5 if I had the chance but I never found the 2 disc version of Zodiac at any of the local Big Lots.
Old 05-12-10, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by thejester
Local BL had a small stock of $5 AMC sets -

Vamps & Vixen Classics
Classic Movie Family Pack (12 movies on 6 DVDs) (of the 4 they had, 3 contains loose discs)
Special Edition - Collection 1: James Cagney / Collection 2: Great Detectives
Ultimate Collection II

Also,
The Unknown Lives of Great Comedians: Durante/Sellers/Winters/Marx Bros
and TV Guide presents Classic Television (60 episodes on 10 DVDs)
some of the amc sets are really godo with descent mastering, I picked up a set awhile ago, dont remember where I bought it, of the old dick tracy films, that was very good.
Old 05-12-10, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm assuming the AMC's are the Genius? While not awful quality, they've always been dirt cheap.
Old 05-12-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up Clueless Whatever Edition for $3 at the Kennett Square, PA location. They had quite a bit of re-stock there, but very few box sets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.