Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Farscape on sale again

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farscape on sale again

Deepdiscount has this for $55, Amazon $5 more.
Old 01-28-10, 05:45 PM

Re: Farscape on sale again

Amazon always has it on sale. Apparently, it ain't selling as well as it should be.

Considering the shoddy packaging, shoddy DVD case and A&E mishandling of this complete series set, I'm surprised it's selling at all.
Old 01-28-10, 07:21 PM

I'm confused, what shoddy packaging? I thought they did a great job with the packaging. I absolutely love the 14mm 6 disc cases it comes in. The cardboard box that they're all in kinda sucks but who cares. This is the best release for the price on this show
Old 01-28-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The packaging is just 4 regular size DVD cases that hold 6 discs each + another 2-disc case with the special features. The only downside to the packaging I see is that the slipcase has flaps on both sides and the carboard is kind of flimsy - but it does have some nice foil accents.
Old 01-28-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'd have to agree that, outside the cheesy outer box, this packaging is better than the "Starburst" version... but... the "Starburst" version (2nd attempt) is a much better DVD. I'm very glad I did not succumb to temptation for a quick buck and unload mine for the new set.

But... if you don't own any previous release this is the only "cheap" way and about a third of what I paid for a full "Starburst" set (which took over a year to collect due to waiting for sales). If I didn't already own it I'd be all over this...

That said... this set is yet another example of how A&E craps on just about everything they release.
Old 01-28-10, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd have to agree that, outside the cheesy outer box, this packaging is better than the "Starburst" version... but... the "Starburst" version (2nd attempt) is a much better DVD. I'm very glad I did not succumb to temptation for a quick buck and unload mine for the new set.

But... if you don't own any previous release this is the only "cheap" way and about a third of what I paid for a full "Starburst" set (which took over a year to collect due to waiting for sales). If I didn't already own it I'd be all over this...

That said... this set is yet another example of how A&E craps on just about everything they release.
The "Starburst" version does contain more extra's. It also doesn't have the initial surround sound bug displayed. Depending on how important those differences are to you, could make the early release better, but at a much higher price tag.

Other then that I haven't seen any direct evidence that the older release is any better then the A&E release in video or sound quality.
Old 01-28-10, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
Amazon always has it on sale. Apparently, it ain't selling as well as it should be.
Not selling well in what way. It is 35 on their best selling list. The Star Trek movie was released in November as well and it is still on sale. I don't understand your rationale here.

Considering the shoddy packaging, shoddy DVD case and A&E mishandling of this complete series set, I'm surprised it's selling at all.
Many of us like the packaging. I prefer it over the Starburst edition in this regard because it takes up less shelf space. Is the box useless, sure but it was also unecessary, so I threw it out.

Considering ... A&E mishandling of this complete series set, I'm surprised it's selling at all.
Mishandling in what way? It is true there are fewer extra's but still more then enough for at least some of us to enjoy. Is there an unecessary surround sound bug that displays momentarily, yes but it is soon forgotten. For the price differences between this set and the Starburst edition those items are minor to those of us happily enjoying this set.

As for video or sound quality differences, I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that either is better then the other. And don't try to use the fact that it went from 48 disks to 26 disks as an argument because it makes no sense. The new remastered Star Trek TOS disks have the same number of episodes per disk as this A&E set and they look great. The reality is that the Farscape video quality was never great even back in the Starburst edition.

DVDFile review has them the same
DVDTalk and Digital Bits state Starburst is better but both use faulty disk count logic as reference
DVDverdict states the DVDs are stellar.

To my eyes they look the same and I was happy to sell my Starburst edition for $191 to keep this set instead.

Now that said, I can fully understand why someone like Bob may prefer keeping his set. There is no gain here but some loss in extras. So it is not an upgrade but more of a cheaper cost lateral move depending on how important the missing extras are.

What I fail to understand is why people who don't seem to even have the set bash it.
Old 01-29-10, 02:38 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the A&E release lacks the bonus features that the Starburst editions had.
Old 01-29-10, 04:53 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the A&E release lacks the bonus features that the Starburst editions had.
As if I hadn't already mentioned that above. Yes, it does not have all the extra's from the Starburst's. Of course your reply gives the impression it may not have any when in reality the new set contains quite a few extras from the Starburst sets, as well as ONE NOT INCLUDED IN THE STARBURST'S.

Anything of importance not already mentioned that you would care to add.
Old 01-29-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

The main negatives I've read about (I've not verified this so take it as it is...) are:

No subtitles - The set *does* have CC but I, like many others, prefer subtitles simply because they're typically done better and have no black box surrounding them.

The background audio has been brought slightly into the foreground, thus actually masking the dialog.

Many of the "Special Features" are missing.

I really agonized over whether or not to dump my Starburst set before this was released as I could have actually made a few $$ over my initial cost and come out way ahead in the long run. As early reports came in it finally came down to the remixed audio. That was the deal breaker for me. Lack of subtitles also factored in as I tend to watch late at night and use subtitles so I don't have to turn the audio up as much, thus keeping peace with the wife.
Old 01-29-10, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I really agonized over whether or not to dump my Starburst set before this was released as I could have actually made a few $$ over my initial cost and come out way ahead in the long run. As early reports came in it finally came down to the remixed audio. That was the deal breaker for me. Lack of subtitles also factored in as I tend to watch late at night and use subtitles so I don't have to turn the audio up as much, thus keeping peace with the wife.
Those are all good arguments for keeping your existing set. And are good for others to know when contemplating which way to go. While they wouldn't be a priority for me, I can definitely see where they would for someone else, and can respect that.
Old 01-31-10, 02:36 AM

I'm satisfied with the quality of the new set too, especially that they retained the commentaries from the Starbursts, but I'm also wondering about these constant sales. What does that usually mean?
Old 01-31-10, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by MichelleLee
I'm satisfied with the quality of the new set too, especially that they retained the commentaries from the Starbursts, but I'm also wondering about these constant sales. What does that usually mean?
Probably means they're trying to burn through their stock as quick as possible. If you have any want for this set, your best to buy it now before it goes out of print and the prices go way up
Old 01-31-10, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by MichelleLee
A&E is doing the same thing with Homicide and Dr. Quinn sets. These are three sets that were initially released at a high price (geared to low sales volume to the biggest fans). Now that A&E has the rights to them, it would appear that they are going the opposite direction and trying to go after the remaining potential buyers (sell low and try to get high colume quickly).

Who knows how long they negotiated the rights. Like "vmars's" stated, once they go through this initial push the price might go back up and remain there for the stragglers. If nothing else, I can't see it ever getting any lower.
Old 01-31-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the complaints about missing special features. Quite frankly, the Starburst editions contained a lot of useless crap, and that's what's been dropped. We still have the substantive features -- the commentaries and documentaries.
Old 02-01-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Aren't most of the special features from the Starburst eds that aren't on the A&E set the text-based stuff like episode trivia and facts?

It's possible that those are owned by ADV, so A&E couldn't include them.
Old 02-02-10, 01:24 AM
Cool New Member

Picked this set up for $57.99 back on Dec. 1 in Amazon's gb deal so this is pretty good. Thanks.
Old 02-05-10, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance the series will get a Blu-Ray release? All of the outstanding issues may get resolved then.
Old 02-05-10, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by funkymonkeyjavajunky
Any chance the series will get a Blu-Ray release? All of the outstanding issues may get resolved then.
No chance probably, I doubt they'd spend the money to upconvert all the special effects. This'll probably be the last version of it for a while
Old 02-23-10, 02:31 PM

Would you guys suggest I get this new set now (it's about $60 after s&h), or try pick through the Amazon Sellers and get the individual season sets of (i think) the first ADV release? Looking at the sellers, it's roughly $20-25 for each set (supposedly new) + s&h that would be about $100ish.......

I've heard the video quality is better on the old version, and it woudl have more features (but not the features of Starburst.. which I can almost never find anymore). Of course, it woudl also take up more shelf space but I might be willing to live with that.

EDIT: actually.. if i buy a bunch of used starbursts that comes out to roughly $120ish...

Last edited by zeez; 02-23-10 at 03:34 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-23-10, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by zeez
Would you guys suggest I get this new set now (it's about $60 after s&h), or try pick through the Amazon Sellers and get the individual season sets of (i think) the first ADV release? Looking at the sellers, it's roughly $20-25 for each set (supposedly new) + s&h that would be about $100ish.......

I've heard the video quality is better on the old version, and it woudl have more features (but not the features of Starburst.. which I can almost never find anymore). Of course, it woudl also take up more shelf space but I might be willing to live with that.

EDIT: actually.. if i buy a bunch of used starbursts that comes out to roughly $120ish...
Just get the new set, it's worth it. You won't be able to tell the difference in video quality unless you are a quality junkie. It will also save you a whole lot of shelf space. Its not missing that many extras, mostly facts and photos. And I'm pretty sure it does some new extras. It should just cost you 59.99 since you don't have to pay shipping for orders over 25.

Also worth noting, I noticed yesterday that one of the discs in my set was defective, it wouldn't play past the 19 minute mark in one of the episodes. I contacted amazon and they are already sending me a new set on one day shipping to replace it. All I've gotta do is send the old set back in the same box. Now thats some great customer service.
Old 02-23-10, 04:23 PM

vmars,

Which disk and episode caused the problem? I have no time to go through the entire set so it might be worth my checking out, just in case it is not a random event.

zeez,

I have yet to see any conclusive proof offered to suggest there is a video quality difference, as in at least a side by side viewing. Most seem to like to point to the disk count differences, which in this case is irrelevant.
Old 02-23-10, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith
vmars,

Which disk and episode caused the problem? I have no time to go through the entire set so it might be worth my checking out, just in case it is not a random event.

zeez,

I have yet to see any conclusive proof offered to suggest there is a video quality difference, as in at least a side by side viewing. Most seem to like to point to the disk count differences, which in this case is irrelevant.
Disc 6 of season 1, the first episode. Haven't even tried episode two on it. I'm gonna go through the rest of the seasons to see if i've got anymore tonight. I'm just so happy Amazon is replacing it, it's been over their 30 day return policy and they're still doing it.
Old 02-23-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vmars
Disc 6 of season 1, the first episode. Haven't even tried episode two on it. I'm gonna go through the rest of the seasons to see if i've got anymore tonight. I'm just so happy Amazon is replacing it, it's been over their 30 day return policy and they're still doing it.
Even if Amazon wouldn't have, the company that released this set has EXCELLENT customer service. I had a duplicate disc and was missing a disc, and they sent me a replacement in a DVD case with artwork and all, and never asked for the duplicate disc to be sent back. All I had to do was email them. They emailed me back in 2 days, and I received the new disc 2 days after that.
Old 02-24-10, 02:13 PM

Waiting for the Blu-Ray...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.