Old 12-06-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner Archive sales

still overpriced for subpar transfers on DVD-Rs if you ask me
Old 12-11-09, 09:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

So I got my order today and oddly enough... it was shipped from DeepDiscount. The name on the invoice is "Warner Bros Digital Ent", but the mailing address is DD's address and the invoice is exactly the same as DD's. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 12-11-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
So I got my order today and oddly enough... it was shipped from DeepDiscount. The name on the invoice is "Warner Bros Digital Ent", but the mailing address is DD's address and the invoice is exactly the same as DD's. Anyone else have this happen?
Same here, I wonder if they are now fulfilling for Warner.
Old 01-27-10, 10:52 AM
ktg

Been trying various old coupons on the Warner Archive titles. THESEARCH no longer works, but XB592, XB692 and XB792 all appear to take about 10% off. Sadly, the same codes used to provide 25% off, supposedly. Personally, I will wait for at least 20% off, which I think may roll around again. These films need to have Criterion-like qualities for me to wish to spend $19.99 on any of them. And they don't.

Unfortunately, WB charges sales tax in my state (not sure why), but at least shipping was free for me (then again, my test order was over $100).

As noted elsewhere in the thread, DD sells these titles also, but everything I looked at was noticeably more expensive at DD by about $4/title.

Last edited by ktg; 01-27-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ktg
Unfortunately, WB charges sales tax in my state (not sure why)
Warner Bros. must have a physical presence in your state. Either a business office or a distribution center, most likely. If your transaction can be connected to the vendor within your state somehow, then they can tax it.
Old 01-28-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Warner Bros. must have a physical presence in your state. Either a business office or a distribution center, most likely. If your transaction can be connected to the vendor within your state somehow, then they can tax it.
New York changed their law so that all companies that register to do business in New York State have to collect sales tax. Online stores such as Amazon and Buy.com had to start charging sales tax in NY state even though they have no offices or warehouses in the state. Given how the states are saying how broke they are, it is surprising that more states haven't done what NY did to collect sales tax on internet sales. I hate it but what are you going to do.
Old 01-28-10, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
New York changed their law so that all companies that register to do business in New York State have to collect sales tax. Online stores such as Amazon and Buy.com had to start charging sales tax in NY state even though they have no offices or warehouses in the state. Given how the states are saying how broke they are, it is surprising that more states haven't done what NY did to collect sales tax on internet sales. I hate it but what are you going to do.
My understanding is that companies that do above a certain amount of business in the state AND have advertising servers located in state must pay tax on out of state internet orders. It's still a flagrant violation of article one (article one!) of the constitution, section nine.

So not everything ordered online will be taxed when shipped to New York, but amazon orders will.
Old 01-28-10, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Many (most?) states have laws that require you to pay sales tax on all online purchases, paid yearly when you do your state taxes.
Old 01-28-10, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Many (most?) states have laws that require you to pay sales tax on all online purchases, paid yearly when you do your state taxes.
It's on NY State's tax form.
Old 01-28-10, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's called use tax, and will be on the tax forms for pretty much any state.
Old 01-28-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa, didn't know that. Thanks excom101 for that link (I think).

But as I understand it, this is still largely self-assessed and difficult to a) ascertain and b) enforce on the state level.

Uh, but back on track, with the two announcements this month I've been expecting some new sales/bundles - anything new on that front?
Old 01-29-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and back off track to add a lil note re sales and use tax...

the irs has been enforcing declaration of sales tax on tax filings as of late, but mainly with businesses i read. prolly because that is a bulk of tax money that can be easily sought by them feds.
Old 06-22-10, 02:56 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cf...ltsPerPage=250

DD has the Warner Archive titles on sale through 6/30/10. Most single discs are $13.98
The "Our Gang" box set of 52 shorts is about $35. Its currently $50 when ordered directly from the wbshop.com unless there are coupons floating around.

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-22-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Best price I've seen so far on single disc WAC purchases.
Old 06-22-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Best price I've seen so far on single disc WAC purchases.
The Archive itself had a '5 for $50' or '5 for $55' sale on singles a few months back. I purchased two orders of five singles each for around $45 apiece with a coupon (or two?). Perhaps that'll happen again some day . . .
Old 06-22-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right, except the archives still charge state sales tax and here you have to buy in bulk to get their "sale" price. This is a great deal for picking up individual titles that don't fit their campaigns.
Old 06-23-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

I have some interest in 1 of the Norma Shearer titles.
Old 06-23-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by dmkb
Right, except the archives still charge state sales tax and here you have to buy in bulk to get their "sale" price. This is a great deal for picking up individual titles that don't fit their campaigns.
It was still cheaper than $13.98 a disc, and all single-disc titles were included as I recall. I suppose if someone couldn't find five movies out of the 500-plus titles they have available, the Deep Discount price would make more sense. Only my budget constraints limited me to 10 discs during the WB sale. At $9 each, the tax was modest and shipping was free (which was another offer at the time, I believe). I have no doubt they'll do something similar, in time.
Old 06-23-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

That 5 for $55 sale at WB Shop was sweeeet! You could stack coupons, IIRC, and net titles for $9ish.
Old 06-23-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus 5% Cashbaq.
Old 06-24-10, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
That 5 for $55 sale at WB Shop was sweeeet! You could stack coupons, IIRC, and net titles for $9ish.
I have two separate accounts with Warner under two email addresses, so I was able to use the coupons twice during the last sale on separate orders.

I've bought 20 Archive DVDs at the two big sales they've had and there's a bunch more I'd like to get when they run another sale like that.
Old 06-26-10, 10:37 AM

I see their $15 and free shipping for their July 4th sale. I get a feeling they should be due for another 5 for $55 or 10 for $100 sale soon.

I hesitated during the last major sale....but I figured, I'll give it a try this time around.
Old 06-26-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kndy
I get a feeling they should be due for another 5 for $55 or 10 for $100 sale soon.
I'll pick up a few Noir titles if that happens.
Old 06-29-10, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by kndy
I see their $15 and free shipping for their July 4th sale. I get a feeling they should be due for another 5 for $55 or 10 for $100 sale soon.

I hesitated during the last major sale....but I figured, I'll give it a try this time around.
This sale sounds better than it is. Because of their pricing structure, the minimum order that qualifies generally is three of the $20 titles, so essentially you are getting three titles for $15 each (plus tax). Even DD is doing better than that right now at $14 a title plus free shipping and no tax.
Old 06-29-10, 02:33 PM

If you are a member of the "Insider Rewards" program at WBShop you normally get 25% of Warner Archive titles ( and other non-Archive titles, too).. So single DVDs cost $14.96.

If you buy three titles on this sale you get $15 off one title, so it costs you $4.95. And then you get the other two titles at the Insider Rewards price of $14.96. So you get three titles for a total of $34.87, plus free shipping. That's $11.63 per DVD. That's an acceptable price for me, especially since I can pick any three I want.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.