Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner Archive sales

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Warner Archive sales

Originally Posted by guerilla1977
Been waiting a long time for this! And Mickey is the true definition of a "living legend". Really the only A-list male star from the 1930s who is still alive. Here's an interview with him about the set (and you'll have to excuse the interviewer- one of the most annoying guys I've ever listened to. Doesn't let Mickey finish a single sentence.)
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/us/dd..._Interview.mp3
Mickey Rooney is a long-time legend, indeed. He goes back to the silent era....the original Mickey McGuire of the 20's & 30's!
Old 12-02-11, 11:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you get your hopes up, I tried to get one at 8AM today and the 400 signed sets are sold out.
Old 12-02-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been waiting a long time for this! And Mickey is the true definition of a "living legend".
And he's still acting! He was in The Muppets, in a cameo (and is part of the soundtrack as well, since it was during a song). Ernest Borgnine is even older than Mickey, and is still acting too! That amazes me... But the funny thing is, THEY HATE EACH OTHER! Here is a quote by Mickey, on his feud with Ernest Borgnine: "All the Oscars in the world can't buy him dignity, class and talent. I don't know why he is famous and why he is a star. Talk about a lucky jerk."
Old 12-02-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Andy Hardy Volume 1 is up at the archive. Six films for $60. Free Shipping.
First 400 sets sold autographed by Mickey Rooney.
Crap! Totally missed this post til now. Autographed copies are sold out.
Old 12-03-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I heard of the Rooney deal but didn't have time to shop or I might have jumped on the opportunity.

Originally Posted by SteveinPhilly
Having problems loading the podcast but nearly ALL the WA interviews are with George Feltenstein. And it's G-E-O-R-G-E who we can thank for ALL the WA releases. He is the guy who gets them to restore and issue these things. Not the greatest voice, I'll admit, but George is OUR friend!
Feltenstein is indeed the man. I know he's a big BD fan, and the slow catalog sales probably made him feel personally wounded, but I bet the Archive has given him new life, and I'd love to see him incorporate BD into it as well (as long as it's not a 49.95 SRP).
Old 12-05-11, 11:51 AM

The sale is back (after a fashion) for one day only December 5.

Three for $33 on all single discs and 25% off multi-disc collections with free ground shipping.
Old 12-05-11, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
And he's still acting! He was in The Muppets, in a cameo (and is part of the soundtrack as well, since it was during a song). Ernest Borgnine is even older than Mickey, and is still acting too! That amazes me... But the funny thing is, THEY HATE EACH OTHER! Here is a quote by Mickey, on his feud with Ernest Borgnine: "All the Oscars in the world can't buy him dignity, class and talent. I don't know why he is famous and why he is a star. Talk about a lucky jerk."
I'd really like to see a cite for that quote.
They just finished filming a movie together, so I have a hard time believing that they hate each other.
Old 12-12-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Another 3 for $10 sale starts today through the 14th. Last chance to get any Archive titles as presents before Christmas.
Old 12-12-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gobear
Another 3 for $10 sale starts today through the 14th. Last chance to get any Archive titles as presents before Christmas.
3 for $30?
Old 12-12-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
3 for $30?
Whoops, indeed, 3 for $30*. Slight typo there. Thanks for the correction. I ordered The Traveling Executioner, No Blade of Grass, and Fashions of 1934.

*although 3 for $10 would rock.

Last edited by Gobear; 12-12-11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 11:23 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting about the 3 for 30 deal, there are about 20 titles I need....I guess I should finally pick them up.
Old 12-12-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gobear
Whoops, indeed, 3 for $30*. Slight typo there. Thanks for the correction. I ordered The Traveling Executioner, No Blade of Grass, and Fashions of 1934.

*although 3 for $10 would rock.
It *would* rock! I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple I've been meaning to get but not enough to bite on the recent "5 for $XX" so I'm going to take a look. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-12-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Still no Black Moon included in the sale ... so I'll wait to next year.
Old 12-12-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

While I've already spent too much this month, this was too good to pass up. It's still free ground shipping as well as the 3/$30. Got Johnny Quest VS the Cyber Insects, Johnny's Golden Quest and Legends of the Superheroes which I've never heard of before but am a sucker for anything Batman.

I had the Johnny Quest movies, but taped off of tv and very poor quality so am hoping they're worth it...
Old 12-14-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just FYI, some of the MOD titles were formerly regular DVDs, and some of these OOP DVDs can be found cheaper than the MOD versions! A couple that I noticed:

From Beyond The Grave: part of the Twisted Terror box set, of which a few copies are being sold brand new on Amazon for ~$10 (for the entire box set).

Trog - part of the box set Cult Camp Classics: Women In Peril.
Old 12-14-11, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Just FYI, some of the MOD titles were formerly regular DVDs, and some of these OOP DVDs can be found cheaper than the MOD versions! A couple that I noticed:

From Beyond The Grave: part of the Twisted Terror box set, of which a few copies are being sold brand new on Amazon for ~$10 (for the entire box set).

Trog - part of the box set Cult Camp Classics: Women In Peril.
Warner has re-released a number of formerly individually pressed titles that went OOP as MOD Archive titles. Gaslight, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao come to mind, and I'm sure there's several others. These titles, although OOP, may still be on store shelves some places or available at places like Big Lots (they were usually selling for under $10) when they went OOP.

You'll see more and more of these in the future. My guess is that six months from now the ratio of "new" Archive titles vs. re-releases of former pressed titles will be in the 1/1 range.
Old 12-14-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
As far as Lovecraftian- maybe Eye Of The Devil. I didn't find it a complete success, but it did conjure up a creepy and malevolent vibe, was well cast, and gets bonus points by going for an atypical ending for it's era (though more commonplace now) which makes it interesting in retrospect.
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Deadpan, EYE OF THE DEVIL should be right up your alley. I mean, David Niven as a devil worshiper? It's very strange stuff given its cast and production pedigree. Sharon Tate never looked more stunning.
Well, now that it's only 3 for $30, I've finally applied this suggestion!

My order:

1. Eye Of The Devil (DVD, Remastered)
Item# 1000180246

2. Razorback (DVD)
Item# 1000179743

3. Magician, The (DVD)
Item# 1000180205

I'd never heard of #3 before until I read about the Aleister Crowley connection! This 1926 silent film looks interesting, indeed. A lot of "evil" characters have been influenced by Crowley to some degree, but this is the first time I've heard of a film was adapted from the novel whose central character was literally based on Crowley (if an unflattering pisstake). It's been a while since I've done my Crowley research, but I'm interested nonetheless.

And Razorback I've been wanting to see ever since I watched Not Quite Hollywood, hehe. For a giant pig movie, it looks pretty fucking surreal.
Old 12-14-11, 11:42 AM

How about
The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond
The Cyclops (or She???)
Kongo

Of the 5 I bought in the last 5 for $50 sale, I have watched 4 and thought they were all good (ironically, Tarzan's Greatest Adventure), to great (The Window, Dark of the Sun, The Outfit). Still up: Stranger on the 3rd Floor.
Old 12-14-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I think one of the reasons Eye Of The Devil had a presence to it beyond what is actually on film is knowing what would happen to Tate only a few years later. As the Professor said, she's breath-taking in this. The very next sale after watching this I ordered Don't Make Waves, and she didn't make nearly the same impression. Ironic since it was her character there that was the impetus for the creation of the Malibu Barbie doll- so she obviously made a big impression on a lot of people at the time.

Watched Hearts Of The West the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Great blind buy for me as I love that period setting and the film is a real charmer.

placed another order Sunday night for
Cry Terror
Green Mansions
Bombshell
Old 12-14-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan

Sa-WEET! I just ordered the Twisted Terror set, 6 movies for $9.73. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Future Man
How about
The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond-
YES! Very entertaining.
The Cyclops (or She???)
She is terrific; you just can't go wrong with Ursula Andress. The Cyclops is boring, bottom of the barrel drive-in drek.
Kongo
Haven't seen it.

Last edited by Gobear; 12-14-11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd really like to see a cite for that quote.
They just finished filming a movie together, so I have a hard time believing that they hate each other.
Here you go:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001682/bio

Search for the word "jerk" and you'll find it easily...
Old 12-14-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My order:
Mr. Lucky (for my Dad)
The Lost Stooges
Rio Rita
A&C Meet Captain Kidd
Hollywood Party

I also found a $5 off $50 coupon which works: WBAFF5
I was going to buy a BD in the order, but then the coupon didn't work. But it did work with just the Archive titles. Also, cashback is 7% now at a popular chubby competitor site.
Old 12-14-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Here you go:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001682/bio

Search for the word "jerk" and you'll find it easily...
That's not really a cite without a reference to a primary source. Supposedly, it's a quote from his 1991 autobiography, "Life is too Short," but I can't find a direct reference. Still I believe he said it because, as talented as he is (or was), Rooney is a thoroughly poisonous human being.

"If it's immorally wrong, it's not normal. Jesus Christ said, "The effeminate are an abomination to me". Are you aware of that? I don't watch the [Ellen DeGeneres] show. I wish her all kinds of luck. Except that I'm not a fan. But there are a lot of people who aren't fans of Mickey Rooney and you can't please everyone."
Old 12-14-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I need to pick up Legend Of Billie Jean (been wanting a decent copy of that for years, I hope it's as good as I thought it was in my early 20's!) & they have some new pre-codes.
Old 12-14-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't going to put another order in , but hey why not that $5 coupon helps
$48 for 5 , i picked up:

The Venetian Affair (1966)
The Carey Treatment (1972)
The Squeeze (1976)
Hit Man (1972)
Chandler (1971)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.