Reload this Page >

Blockbuster's leftovers found in Dirt Cheap stores

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 03-08-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

This may not affect many of you, as Dirt Cheap stores are only in the Deep South (and mainly in Mississippi, but there are a few in Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama, and one in Pensicola, Florida), but I was tipped off by a friend that they had "a bunch of Blockbuster movies" in my local store.

I went by and, sure enough, there were two displays of previously-rented DVDs in Blockbuster cardboard sleeves (like the ones that have been showing up in Dollar General stores) for $2.99 each.

I went through them, and there were several Criterion Collection DVDs in there, as well as a whole lot of old MGM classics on the WB label (The Good Earth, Captains Courageous, etc.), some relatively new releases, and a blue million Disc 1s from the Twin Peaks Gold Box.

Here's what I took home:

The Threepenny Opera: Disc 1 (Criterion Collection)
The Uninvited (2003)
Hour of the Wolf
The Wanderers
The Beales of Grey Gardens
(Criterion Collection)
Bad Timing (Criterion Collection)
No Regrets for Our Youth (Eclipse Series 7: Postwar Kurosawa, Disc 1) (Criterion Collection)
Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition--Disc 1 (The Pilot)

If you happen to live near a town with a Dirt Cheap, it might behoove you to stop in and see if they have anything interesting. Also, if Dirt Cheap follows their usual protocol, these discs will be marked down every few weeks or so until they end up a quarter or even a dime each. I snagged what I did now to make sure that I got them. Everything else can wait until they're below a dollar.

Last edited by rbrown498; 03-08-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Blockbuster's leftovers found in Dirt Cheap stores

I just thought that I'd post a follow-up to my original post.

Over the past few months, I'd drop in to Dirt Cheap occasionally, checking out the DVDs and seeing if they'd gotten any cheaper. I caught them at $1.99, $1.49, and then last week for 99 cents. I went by today to see what they were down to, but I couldn't find them in the store. I asked one of the clerks what had happened to them, and she said that they'd buggy-ed them up and sold them. For those not familiar with Dirt Cheap-speak, buggy-ing up something means taking the remaining stock of an item and filling a shopping cart with it, then Saran-wrapping the entire buggy so that nothing can be taken from it. The buggy's then put outside in front of the store with a price for the entire buggy. I asked how much they had sold the buggy for, and she told me:

Spoiler:
$10

When I went in last week, there were still probably 600-800 DVDs in cardboard sleeves left. So there were, at the minimum, 500 DVDs in that buggy. That works out to about

Spoiler:
two cents

per disc. I've been sick about missing out on it all day.