Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) 30% off Used DVD's at gohastings.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 30% off Used DVD's at gohastings.com

Im not sure I like how they do things. Its kinda confusng me.
I received about 15 or 16 e-mails informing me individual items had shipped. But the price next to the item that shipped shows the price before the 30% discount.
I ordered like 30 items all together so does this mean im gonna get like 30 different shipping charges?
Old 09-05-09, 11:17 AM

I've ordered alot of blu-rays from this sale and the overall condition of the Used ones are excellent. Also, they ship each movie separately.
Old 09-05-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shipping emails always show the original list price on the site, but the discount will be in effect for the charge to your card.
You will get charged the correct price for everything, probably all at once, not a bunch of separate charges.
Temporary charges are just that--they are from the original authorization and will drop off, and then be replaced by the real charges, so if something's been canceled, don't worry.

If you're not happy with the quality (scratched disc or whatever), contact them and arrange for a return, and they will give you a full refund including shipping charges, and pay shipping to get the item back. They're pretty friendly.

I've ordered about 100 things from them in the last month or so, starting with a recent B2, G1 for $1 sale (with a stackable $5-off coupon), which was then repeated a week or so after it ended, which was then replaced with the 30%-off sale a day after that one ended. I'd been following this sale at CAG, so didn't realize it hadn't been posted over here. No problems with them so far, other than some cases/inserts (and manuals for games) being missing or ruined (on the last page of one manual, someone had written "This game sucks!!! Ha-ha-ha! You're a loser for getting it!" ). But I don't care about any of that stuff--only the condition of the discs (all acceptable(*), many near mint) and whether they're the versions I ordered (so far, so good).

(*) Some of them were VERY scratched, but I polished them with toothpaste, and they played fine. A couple of the badly scratched ones played fine to begin with, and didn't need the toothpaste.
Old 09-05-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Cheato. Still wondering if I'll get the other four items I ordered, but the info helps.
Old 09-05-09, 01:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

1) Toothpaste?? really? I hadn't heard of that.

2) I don't know what CAG is, but PLEASE if you see other DVD-related deals, pass them on to us here! I dont get the time to go to all these other deal sites very often, so I depend on our helpful community here!
Old 09-05-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are a couple threads about fixing scratches on discs. Toothpaste has worked for me. Some people say boiling them in water works, and some people use car polish. Search the forum for more info.
CAG is CheapAssGamer, where you can find a deals forum like this one, but for games. As I said, I hadn't realized the deal wasn't posted here.
Old 09-05-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The code for me is not working?
Old 09-05-09, 08:16 PM

I ordered from these guys maybe 18 months ago and my whole order was shipped at once, in one package. Since when did they start shipping everything seperately? I don't want thirteen indivdual shipments. In the immortal words of the mayor of imaginationland, "That's fucking stupid".
Old 09-06-09, 11:06 AM

I'm guessing shipments depend on which store/warehouse has the used item, so the shipping charges go with the worst-case approach of each item being located at a different place.

Something happened between Friday and Saturday on the pricing - a couple of the used CDs I had in my cart went up by $15 each, so I guess I will pass on those.

Thanks for posting OP - I don't check the blu-ray forum.
Old 09-06-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
The code for me is not working?
Any luck yet? I placed another order last night after you posted this without any problems.
Old 09-06-09, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by n.phelge
Something happened between Friday and Saturday on the pricing - a couple of the used CDs I had in my cart went up by $15 each, so I guess I will pass on those.

I've seen some price fluctuation as well, like the Pirates blu box set has gone up and down by $5, but I haven't seen anything jump up THAT high! ouch.
Old 09-06-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Any luck yet? I placed another order last night after you posted this without any problems.
Yeah, I got it to work on some others I tried. I was trying it on WWE SummerSlam Anthology sets, which have 5 DVDs or so. I guess it doesn't work on box sets?

It worked on other DVD releases though.
Old 09-06-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yep, doesn't work on sets. In fact, I tried to include a double feature DVD that as far as I know is a flipper-type situation so it should have been considered a single disc, yet it wouldn't give the discount.
Old 09-06-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are some movies that aren't included, too.

To get the discount, they have to be part of the promotion (the vast majority of things are). You can follow a link to the sale from the banner ad on one of the main pages (for example, at the top of the "Trends" page). The banner ad clearly says "Click to see qualifying titles." Clicking on that takes you to a specific category/promotion called "Used DVD Favorites."

For example, in the Action category, for all DVDs on the site, it currently says there are 2962 titles. However, choosing the filter to show only Used titles gives 2018 possibilities. On the other hand, choosing the "Used DVD Favorites" under the Promotions filter category gives only 1887 titles.

If you enter a code, and it is not a valid code, the site might still accept it (and not give any kind of discount). I have seen that happen; I don't know if the site always works like that. You then have to use the link to remove the coupon code, and then enter another one. It might be designed that way to keep people from searching and looking for other codes by trial and error.

If the "321321" code isn't working for you, try just using "321." Some CAG members also claimed the code wouldn't work, and customer service apparently told them that worked, too. I haven't tried it.
Old 09-06-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just remembered:

With the coupon that was available before the current sale started (a simple "$5 off your order" coupon), it only worked if you were signed up for the email newsletter. There's a link at the bottom of just about every page called "E-mail sign-up." If you're having a problem with coupon codes, it could be because your account hasn't had the code enabled for it. And if you're not logged in, it might not be accepting the code, either. I don't know for sure--I haven't played with the site just to see what works and what doesn't.
Old 09-06-09, 03:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Hastings has gotten plenty of my $$$ in the past, but this was the 1st time I've ordered online from 'em.

Here's my haul ( kinda off-topic cuz there's only 1 DVD in there, but what the hey ) :

The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder: Punk and New Wave ( DVD )

"Looking Back with Scott Walker" - Scott Walker

"Cosmic Peekaboo" - The Free Design

"Mid-Fi Field Recordings Vol. 1: Live at the Tractor Tavern, Seattle, Washington" - Supersuckers

"Live at Bart's CD Cellar and Record Shop" - Supersuckers

"Black and White" - Greyhound

"Black and White: Best of Greyhound" - Greyhound

"The Birth of Trojan" - Various Artists

"Trojan Box Set: Jamaican Hits" - Various Artists

"So Divided" - ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

9 CD's + 1 DVD = $38.25. Not bad.
Old 09-07-09, 01:09 AM

I purchased 10 various items (Blu, DVD, CD) on Thursday night for an average price of $6.60 shipped! I got 9 different shipping notices on Friday (one item still has not shipped). The first CD showed up in the mail Saturday and to my surprise it was brand new. Thanks Hastings!
Old 09-07-09, 03:18 AM

I'm browsing used DVD's sorted "price low-to-high", and so far I've looked at over 100 pages of titles under $2.00, and that's BEFORE the discount!! Lots of crap, for sure, but also stuff like ALIEN, ALIENS, TOP GUN, DIE HARD, THE ABYSS, HARRY POTTER/CHAMBER, HARRY POTTER/AZKABAN, AIRPLANE, THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, I ROBOT, BASIC INSTINCT, NEAR DARK, GHOST: SE, MI3, THE RUNDOWN, YOUNG GUNS,CLOVERFIELD, FANTASTIC 4, LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, TRUE LIES, BATMAN RETURNS, BEOWULF, KING KONG (both the 1976 and the recent remake), HELLBOY, SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN, ...

you're basically getting these titles for just shipping costs! I can only imagine how much I'd find if I had time to keep browsing up to $5.00!

My 3rd (and final?) order:
Open Range $2.66
The Mexican $1.40
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown $1.08
The Easter Bunny Is Coming to Town $1.10
King Kong $1.26
Airplane $1.32
King Kong $1.33
Near Dark $1.33
The Breakfast Club $3.83

9 movies shipped for $26 total!

Last edited by cinemaphile; 09-07-09 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 06:07 AM

Geez they really get you on the shipping. Picked up

Return of the Living Dead, The: Collector's Edition
The Saint
Demons
Demons II
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Just Visiting

$24.34
$8.99 shipping
total: $33.33 (lucky!)

As you can see I bought nothing but the best. Going to be fun watching these

Thanks, OP!
Old 09-07-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I know the feeling cinemaphile. I spent some time browsing a couple of days ago and put together a 2nd order. Something I discovered is it can be worth your while to click on a title if there are different versions. For instance, the original Friday the 13th film has used under it for $3.60. Click on it individually and you realize that's for the more recent uncut deluxe edition. I was thrilled to pick up...

Part 1 Deluxe Edition for $2.52
Part 2 Deluxe Edition for $1.71
Part 3 Deluxe Edition for $1.58

(before shipping)

These were titles I never wanted to spend much on since it would be a double-dip, but at these prices I couldn't pass it up. Now hopefully I'll receive the correct versions.
Old 09-07-09, 09:36 AM

Thanks again OP - I ended up picking up more CDs than DVDs, and shipping + tax hits pretty hard, but still a decent deal:

Singles Going Steady - Buzzcocks $2.19
Hits - The Birthday Party $1.91
I Am a Scientist - Guided by Voices $0.56
Slates/A Part of America Therein, 1981 - The Fall $2.76
A Brief History of the Twentieth Century - Gang of Four $2.09
Pig Lib - Stephen Malkmus $1.82
Torso $5.25
The Last Horror Film $4.80

Merchandise: $21.38
Shipping: $9.99
Sales Tax: $2.59
Order Total: $33.96
Old 09-07-09, 10:24 AM
Banned

PLaced another order for Soundtrack and Score Cd's . (total all together was less than $55 shipped.):
Bamboozled
Manderlay
Borat
Hot Fuzz
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Magnolia
The Insider
She Hate Me
The Princess + the Warrior
Clockers: Original Orchestral Score
The Summer of Sam
He Got Game
Babel
Die Hard with a Vengeance
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
A Very Long Engagement
Gonzo: Music from the Film
Hamlet
Zero Effect
The Miramax Films Greatest Hits
Batman Returns
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Igby Goes Down
Henry Fool
Old 09-08-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought Changeling and Notre musique $10 all in all
Old 09-08-09, 08:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Boy, I don't get this "ship the discs separately" thing. I've gotten 7 or 8 emails now. Seems like it's not very cost efficient for them.
Old 09-08-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Part 1 Deluxe Edition for $2.52
Part 2 Deluxe Edition for $1.71
Part 3 Deluxe Edition for $1.58

These were titles I never wanted to spend much on since it would be a double-dip, but at these prices I couldn't pass it up. Now hopefully I'll receive the correct versions.
I ordered those 3 as well. I placed my order on Thursday, so if I get them before you I'll let you know if they're the correct versions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.