Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 08-13-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Just s/w 1 Bl store, the only thing they're getting for next week is more of the budget War DVD's. Didn't ask if they were the singles or the boxes.
Old 08-13-09, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw some new (at least, to me) DVDs like Beautiful Mind and Ray for $3 each, but no new box sets.
Old 08-13-09, 07:45 PM

I know from older posts this is not a new title at BL... but today was the first time I managed to see, and pick up, the Romper Stomper Special Edition in my area.
Old 08-13-09, 08:34 PM
ADP

I'm so ready to see something new show up at Big Lots I could pull the hair out of my head. Don't care if it is tv sets, or singles. I checked a local NC store tonight and they haven't had anything new in 3 or 4 weeks.

There has gotta be a new release of dvd's coming soon and my prayer is that it would be the old classics from the 30's 40's 50's

FYI Sam's Club has a slew of Bond titles for $4.96. A few of them I have never seen at BL when they had their Bonds. From Russia with Love is a steal at 4.96.
Old 08-13-09, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ADP
FYI Sam's Club has a slew of Bond titles for $4.96. A few of them I have never seen at BL when they had their Bonds. From Russia with Love is a steal at 4.96.
I picked up the first 20 Bonds from Big Lots during Black Friday last November. They were priced at $4.00 each at the time and not $3.00 but I also got a $15.00 store coupon for going over $50.00 total that day. Some people here are looking for them, others say they wouldn't even pay $1.00 for them since they aren't the latest and greatest transfers. The ones I got are the earlier Widescreen enhanced with a "collectable" booklet and tons of extra features. They are cool but sometimes I wish I hadn't blown $80.00 on them!
Old 08-13-09, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Damone
Anyone who lives on long island, I just returned some box sets as I had them for about a month and changed my mind. I brought back:
- history of rock n roll (I read there is no inclusion of the beatles over rights issues...WTF???)
I saw a few of the episodes when they were originally broadcast, and although I am a big rock n roll fan, I was not at all impressed, felt like a real "fluff" piece to me. when these 1st hit big lots over a month ago, I was tempted a bit, but thought about it and passed. now, if the beatles anthology dvd was to hit big lots, thats another story! or the new woodstock directors cut, or even that tom petty documentary that was a best buy exclusive which I heard was excellent. prob my favorite rock documentary that I allready own is either the ozzy osbourne one called "dont blame me", or the ramones documentary called "end of the century"
Old 08-14-09, 01:13 AM

Stopped at the wilmington NC store tonight. They had about 30 copies of the "war at home" dvd sats... Some joey, and West Wing, and Lakers DVDs... War at home was 3, all others were 6...

They also had the 50 movie packs in many varieties...
Old 08-14-09, 11:42 AM

Here in Illinois our BL got a new $3.00 4 foot x 4 foot (2 layer) cardboard display of movies...most of the titles have been in the store in the past...but I did find the Dark Crystal Collector's Edition version.

Last edited by standbyme; 08-14-09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADP
There has gotta be a new release of dvd's coming soon and my prayer is that it would be the old classics from the 30's 40's 50's
wondering today if even some of these single Warner DVDs may have been part of the DVDs in the Warner suit. Alot of the HB and TV set titles have been showing up on eBay/Amazon Mktplace months prior to BL getting them.

Just think, if BL had never put those sets in the ad, this probably would never have happened. Sad thing is, it did nothing to increase sales in that word of mouth did the trick. At best, it just got people into the store.

I actually started looking at the single DVDs again and picked up a few that I missed.
Old 08-14-09, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Alot of the HB and TV set titles have been showing up on eBay/Amazon Mktplace months prior to BL getting them.
It was explained in the earlier threads but these were first offered to wholesalers. Once wholesalers bought all they wanted Warner then shipped them to be destroyed.
Old 08-14-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Picked up a few $3 movies (*all* the TVonDVD is now gone... including "Joey", which actually sold out before "Tracey Takes On"):

Stockyard Blues
Queen Christina
Never so Few

Returned a duplicate copy of "Tall in the Saddle" and exchanged a "no receipt" copy of "The Great War: World War I" a 2 disk WWI documentary set which has poor reviews at amazon, plus I'd picked up "WWI War: The War to End All Wars" (a better reviewed WWI set) a couple of weeks ago, for "WWII in Color" from Timeless Media. I also picked up "WWI Combat Zone 1942-1944" and "1944-1945". Did not see the "1939-1942" set, but these had been pretty well picked over having hit the wire rack a couple of weeks ago... Oddly, these WWI/WWII sets are $4/each which really seems a bit high considering the MSRP on these sets is ~$10 and they are selling $14-$20 MSRP movies for $3/each. It's probably because someone saw these are 2 disks bundled and said "hey... if we get $3 for 1 then we should get at least $4 for 2".

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-14-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

...if BL had never put those sets in the ad, this probably would never have happened. Sad thing is, it did nothing to increase sales in that word of mouth did the trick. At best, it just got people into the store...
I'm not so sure about that, at least in this area. Here's what I observed:

With each TVonDVD sale ($6 and then $3) there were multiple copies of select sets available for 4-5 days *before* the respective ad hit. There was even a 1-6 season run of "Tales from the Crypt", with a few duplicates of some seasons, that was available for at least 3 days from the day the HB animation sets hit the floor. Seasons 1-6 were purchased the day the ad hit the paper along with most of what was on the shelf (at least 70% of the original stock). On the $6 sets, I purchased 1 of 4 copies they had of the "Babylon 5 Movie Collection" and spent the next 4 days watching the other 3 just sit there. All 3 were sold the day the ad appeared in the paper. It was similar with the other $6 sets.

The ad played a big part in the sales of these sets here. While I think they would have sold well anyway, they would have sat on the shelf longer without the ad pointing them out.
Old 08-14-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm not so sure about that, at least in this area. Here's what I observed:

With each TVonDVD sale ($6 and then $3) there were multiple copies of select sets available for 4-5 days *before* the respective ad hit. There was even a 1-6 season run of "Tales from the Crypt", with a few duplicates of some seasons, that was available for at least 3 days from the day the HB animation sets hit the floor. Seasons 1-6 were purchased the day the ad hit the paper along with most of what was on the shelf (at least 70% of the original stock). On the $6 sets, I purchased 1 of 4 copies they had of the "Babylon 5 Movie Collection" and spent the next 4 days watching the other 3 just sit there. All 3 were sold the day the ad appeared in the paper. It was similar with the other $6 sets.

The ad played a big part in the sales of these sets here. While I think they would have sold well anyway, they would have sat on the shelf longer without the ad pointing them out.
That's hard to believe that those B5 sets and TFTC sat there that long. Where do you live? . You are right in some respects though. Alot of the TV sets (Knot's Landing, Joey, etc) might not have sold so quickly had there not been an ad. I guess I was thinking of the HB sets where you almost had to be there when they were put out to get a copy of some of them.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It was explained in the earlier threads but these were first offered to wholesalers. Once wholesalers bought all they wanted Warner then shipped them to be destroyed.
I must've missed it then. But I find it hard to believe that they didn't get them from the same place as BL. The prices on some of these sets fell to below 3.00 (cheaper than BL, though more expensive w/ postage). It's hard to believe that they paid any more than BL for these - which seems the logical case if they bought them from WB directly.
Old 08-14-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from Raynham MA. store and they had a new shipment some titles I have never seem before.
I picked up:

American Gangster 2 disc extended edition
The Moth Man Prophecies 2 disc special edition
A Few Good Men
Under Suspicion (Liam Neeson)

Also saw
The Woodsman ~ Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick
Strange Brew ~ Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis,
When a Stranger Calls ~ Carol Kane, Charles Durning
Premonition ~ Cynthia Preston, Adrian Paul, Christopher Lloyd
Black Mask 2: City of Masks ~ Tobin Bell
Ringmaster ~ Jerry Springer
Restraining Order ~ Eric Roberts

A lot of Artisan titles I have not seen before can't remember everything I saw.
Also for those in Mass. they had like 5 copies of the 2 disc Romper Stomper I have never seen that many before and Sweet and Lowdown widescreen.

Last edited by Drake; 08-14-09 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 04:31 PM

A new Big Lots opened in Fort Walton Beach today. I couldn't get there until noon. They had a good number of sets, but they had obviously been picked over already. Unfortunately (for me at least), they were advertised in the Grand Opening ad, so plenty of people knew about them. They didn't have any of the sets that I wanted (Veronica Mars 2, Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt, Tales from the Crypt 6, Thundercats, Superfriends sets) but they had a good bit of the sets that I'd seen elsewhere: Popeye, Birdman, Penelope Pitstop, Joey, West Wing, Josie & the Pussycats, OC (I know there were more I'm forgetting, if you're in the area and want to know about something specific, ask me and I might remember.) They also had some that I haven't seen before: Nip/Tuck, Drew Carey, Huckleberry Hound, Wait til Your Father Gets Home, Friends, ER (again, ask about something specific and I might be able to remember more). I did, however, stock up on $3 movies that I haven't seen elsewhere, including a lot of Bond:

Dr. No
For Your Eyes Only
The Spy Who Loved Me
Octopussy
The Man with the Golden Gun
Moonraker
Licence to Kill
The Living Daylights
Thunderball
The World Is Not Enough
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
You Only Live Twice
Tomorrow Never Dies (they also had Die Another Day, but only in FS)
The Frighteners
Tales from the Crypt Presents Demon Knight
Tales from the Crypt Presents Bordello of Blood
(And last but certainly not least, the all time classic) Xanadu (LOL)

The good news is that I had to get some things from the grocery store on the way home, and I found Veronica Mars 2! I'll start another thread because it's at a store not yet named in this frenzy.

ETA: Also saw The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies, Scooby-Doo Where Are You 3, Mission Hill

Last edited by twa2; 08-14-09 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"A new Big Lots opened in Fort Walton Beach today." The store up in Milton is very nice, fairly new, and large. I stopped in on a trip to help my sister in Pensacola earlier in the year and they had the motherload of the recent DVD shipments at the time. I also took time to visit the stores in Pensacola and Marianna and the Milton store was hands down vastly superior. It might be worth checking out if you're up that way.
Old 08-14-09, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I must've missed it then. But I find it hard to believe that they didn't get them from the same place as BL. The prices on some of these sets fell to below 3.00 (cheaper than BL, though more expensive w/ postage). It's hard to believe that they paid any more than BL for these - which seems the logical case if they bought them from WB directly.
It happened - they bought them for a higher price. Warner sold what they could and sent the rest off to be destroyed. Some guys decided to take that stock and sell to BL at a bigger discount and the market dropped for those titles. Wholesalers who were selling for $10 and making a small profit now couldn't when BL had them for $3 and new resellers were selling for $6. Wholesalers are now pretty much stuck with product that no one wants anymore.

I've seen and been involved in this type of buying and its usually unmarked boxes that people make bids on. It's a 'surprise' Sometimes you strike gold (Loony Tunes Gold) and other times not (Joey). Sometimes they do sell off named boxes...but the unmarked one usually go for more as it could be a nice title vs. crap.
Old 08-14-09, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by conehead433
"A new Big Lots opened in Fort Walton Beach today." The store up in Milton is very nice, fairly new, and large. I stopped in on a trip to help my sister in Pensacola earlier in the year and they had the motherload of the recent DVD shipments at the time. I also took time to visit the stores in Pensacola and Marianna and the Milton store was hands down vastly superior. It might be worth checking out if you're up that way.
Heh, I live in Pensacola. And, yeah, the Milton store is nice. It's in a space that used to be a grocery store whereas most of the others are in smaller holes. And all the local stores are pretty much tapped out where the sets are concerned as far as I know, unless you want Joey, The West Wing, The OC, or Tracey Takes On. (It actually kind of makes me sad that Tracey warms the shelves so much since it's such a great show.) Anyway, the Grand Opening was my last gasp as I figured that if I couldn't find anything there, I wouldn't find anything again.
Old 08-15-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I missed a restock of box sets at my Portland, OR store (185th & TV Highway, Aloha). Lois and Clark 1st and 3rd seasons, Superbowl sets, lots of Warner Animated 2-packs (Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, Batman/Superman, etc), OC, Murphy Brown, some more HB cartoons, and a handful of Tales from the Crypt Season 3. Looked picked over today. I suspect there was a decent selection yesterday.

Last edited by beebs; 08-15-09 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 10:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Drake, I think many big lots threads ago you mentioned there were a couple of new big lots opening in MA. Ohe was Raynham, was there another one? or am just not remembering right.
Old 08-15-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
Drake, I think many big lots threads ago you mentioned there were a couple of new big lots opening in MA. Ohe was Raynham, was there another one? or am just not remembering right.
North Attleboro, I don't think its open yet last time I talked to the manager at West Bridgewater he mentioned it but didn't know when it would open.
Old 08-15-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine just went to the Portsmouth NH BL and he said that they told him that a new shipment of DVDs will be out on the floor next week.
Old 08-15-09, 09:22 PM
ADP

good deal! hopefully there will be some new items. I saw Babylon 5 yesterday for the first time in a local BL. Nothing else new. Wish there would be a restock of Friends, as I am missing a few seasons.

I wonder if Warner Bros is holding everything up over the lawsuit, even if some of their current stock isn't involved.
Old 08-15-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took my 19 copies of Joey Season 1 back tonight since I had no luck selling them.
Old 08-16-09, 12:35 AM

i was out of town today and passed a big lots, so i decided to stop and try my luck, they didn't have much but i did pick up The Dukes of Hazzard season 6 and Night Court season 1.

they did have multiple 2 packs of some random Justice League episodes as well as New Frontier and really nothing else of interest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.