Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon some $40 Criterions 60% off ($15.99)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon some $40 Criterions 60% off ($15.99)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 06:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Amazon some $40 Criterions 60% off ($15.99)

Originally Posted by dino88
200!?? I hate to say it, but by the time you get around to watching everything you'll probably be able to get them cheaper
If that happens, I will blame you, seek you out, and cry in front of you until you are extremely uncomfortable.
Old 08-04-09, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
If that happens, I will blame you, seek you out, and cry in front of you until you are extremely uncomfortable.
I'm already uncomfortable. You win. As for the Criterion Challenge, I think it should be called the "I'm Rich Bitch" Challenge. Cheap asses need not apply.

Last edited by dino88; 08-04-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting. Although I ordered several from B&N (50% - 10% members discount -10% coupon together with Bing cashback made for some excellent deals), this is a good alternative for any left behind or overlooked. Got to check out the entire list on Amazon; for the ones in the first post, I would highly recommend M, Wages of Fear, & Bicycle Thieves. These really are 'essential' films that should be in any movie lover's library, IMHO.

One addendum (correction) to the heated discussion above:

A few people mentioned using "old" memberships from B&N in the ethics debate. Unless they know something I don't, that doesn't apply to B&N. To keep a membership active, one has to pay $25 per year (per account); thus, any current account can't be more than a year old (in terms of payment).

Just to clear up any confusion (or misconception in case someone is thinking of joining BN & then gets a Credit Card surprise each anniversary of their membership. Of course, you do have the option of canceling membership before renewal, but the $25 is non-refundable if you don't cancel before the renewal date.
Old 08-04-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
As for the Criterion Challenge, I think it should be called the "I'm Rich Bitch" Challenge. Cheap asses need not apply.
Not if you have Netflix!
Old 08-04-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ororama
Brief Encounter is overrated.
No, no it isn't. One of my all-time favorites.

Last edited by MoviePage; 08-04-09 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks OP!

I'm extremely tempted to pick up a couple I missed at the B&N sale. Namely The Third Man (BD) and The Lady Vanishes.
Old 08-04-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Thanks for posting. Although I ordered several from B&N (50% - 10% members discount -10% coupon together with Bing cashback made for some excellent deals),
I missed "Bing Cashback". What's the deal?
Old 08-04-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Did you read any of my posts, I was on their side for years. That coupon brought me into the store, to spend a lot of money. When that employee cashes out at the end of the night, it doesn't matter that some guy used a couple of $5 off coupons (which he was allowed to by the way), what matters is that thanks to that $5 off coupon, it brought me there & me being there spending a few hundred dollars, that wouldn't have been spent otherwise, may have caused that departments figures for the day to be a lot higher than normal. If that is your idea of sleazy, then what can I say, I don't live the perfect lifestyle judging others like you do.
If you bought a loss-leader AND also purchased a "few hundred dollars" of non-loss leader merchandise I would totally agree. But that's not the case is it? So why pretend?

But, I'll put my money where my mouth is. Simply post one receipt that showed you went into a B&N store during their recent 50 percent off Criterion sale where you spent a "few hundred dollars" including the purchase of one or more Criterion DVD(s) and I'll not only stand corrected, I'll donate 50 U.S. dollars to Paul Newman's (in honor of his recent passing) Hole in the Wall Gang charity supporting sick children. I'll also provide you the evidence to the contribution.

But wait, let's make it easier, last I checked a "few" is more than two, meaning that you would have had to drop 300+ dollars at one store on one receipt. So, let's be generous, I'll donate the money even if it's only 200 U.S. dollars. After all, it's for sick children, a great cause right? No fine print, no problems, simply post the link for the scanned B&N store (bricks and mortar) receipt showing at least one Criterion purchased included in a total sale of $200+ during the recent 50 percent off sale and you've just done something nice for children in need.

Deal?
Old 08-04-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

For some strange reason I get the feeling that you were going to make that donation regardless of this proposed deal(good on you).
Old 08-04-09, 10:19 AM

Anybody see Kwaidan for sale?
Old 08-04-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks
It's not just you.

However, it's generally counterproductive to argue about what is "moral" and what is not, not to mention an inappropriate use of this forum.
I hear you. I didn't plan to discuss it any further, myself.
ctyankeee seems to be taking it to heart, though...
You go, dude!

As for the Criterions available in this Amazon sale, I'm curious about these:

Mona Lisa
Night to Remember, A
Lord of the Flies

The first two are non-anamorphic, which kind of bothers me. Lord of the Flies is even cropped to FS (or maybe, God forbid, P&S?), right?

Anybody have any more information on those, or any fixes that might be coming in the future? I'd like to get them, but I am really holding off on buying anything non-anamorphic (or with other obvious defects), since I am really trying to keep myself from having to double-dip, and my track history has been once I give in and buy the slightly unsatisfactory version, a new-and-improved one comes along shortly thereafter.

I'm already a little bummed that I ordered Kwaidan a few months ago, only to discover that it was the shorter (incomplete) version. I should have done my research beforehand. I stupidly just assumed the Criterion would be the best version.

Also, I hate to admit this around a Criterion-minded crowd, but I don't actually know much about many of these films. I spent a couple hours last night reading reviews of all of them, and these are the ones that sounded most interesting to me (that I don't have and have never seen):

Third Man, The (don't you judge me for not having seen this!)
Testament Of Dr Mabuse
39 Steps
Pandora's Box
Kind Hearts and Coronets
M
Ruling Class
49th Parallel
Overlord

Man, I wish I had a local library that had these that I could borrow and watch before blindly buying them.

I haven't liked the following Criterions:
Vanishing, The (OK, interesting dilemma, particularly near the end, and an interesting movie, I guess, but it didn't stay with me)
Solaris (yes, some great drawn-out hypnotic scenes, but overall, left me unimpressed, sorry)
Onibaba (wow, completely unimpressed on so many levels, and I hated the ending)
a few others I can't remember right now.

I love these:

epics:
King of Kings, The
Spartacus

Shakespeare:
Hamlet
Henry V
Richard III

great novels with great adaptations:
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist

Kurosawa (historical dramas):
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
Hidden Fortress, The
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Ran

other Japanese:
Kill!
Samurai I - Musashi Miyamoto
Samurai II - Duel at Ichijoji Temple
Samurai III - Duel at Ganryu Island
Sword of Doom, The

other:
Blob, The
Chasing Amy
Do the Right Thing
Man Who Fell to Earth, The
Videodrome

the Don't Judge Me! titles:
Armageddon (I said, don't you judge me!)
Rock, The (don't make me say it again)

recently purchased, and not watched, but I am confident I will love them:
Brazil
Last Emperor, The (I know, it's cropped, but at least it was done with approval)

Last edited by Cheato; 08-04-09 at 04:48 PM. Reason: removed Lady Vanishes discussion, since Sondheim (below) mentioned the re-release is fixed
Old 08-04-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jlynn33
Anybody see Kwaidan for sale?
It would be just as easy for you to look as it would for anyone else. But the answer is no, at least not 60% off.
Old 08-04-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cheato
Lady Vanishes is, according to DVDCompare, missing a small scene, and is lightly cropped on the right side.
While this is true of the first release, the one currently on sale is the re-release, which contains those few seconds that were missing from their original release - it is pictureboxed, however.

And since the newest version is from late 2007 I wouldn't expect any upgrades any time in the near future except for a possible Blu-ray.

Last edited by Sondheim; 08-04-09 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Hey, cool, thanks for the info! Didn't know there was a fixed one. I don't mind the pictureboxing. For me, it's negligible, at least compared to letterboxed non-anamorphic releases.
Old 08-04-09, 11:44 AM

Cheato, if you liked the Shakespeare and Dickens, you can't go wrong with Kind Hearts and Coronets, chiefly because Alec Guinness Can Do No Wrong (I think this is as close to a tagline as I'll ever have).

The only title I bought from B&N that's on sale at Amazon is The Third Man (sold my original copy a while back and never bought the 2-disc). All the rest (Danton, Wise Blood, Wages of Fear, Brazil, Red Balloon/White Mane, Last Holiday) were better from B&N.

Now I can pick up the ones I left behind, all on sale (mainly the Hitchcocks, 49th Parallel, Henry V, etc.). Just wish I had my usual stockpile of Amazon gift credits. . . .

Last edited by dougb222; 08-04-09 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn it. I just broke down and ordered Third Man BD ($15.99) and 400 Blows BD ($18.99 in gold box). I've been intrigued by these two titles, both blind buys. I resisted at BN, but for some reason, with Prime everything seems okay. I have also ordered the Dirty Harry BD set, Taken BD, Baraka BD, and a ton of stuff from DD recently. What a rough month or so it's been.
Old 08-04-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
Damn it. I just broke down and ordered Third Man BD ($15.99) and 400 Blows BD ($18.99 in gold box). I've been intrigued by these two titles, both blind buys. I resisted at BN, but for some reason, with Prime everything seems okay.
Both are great choices and very much worth it.
Old 08-04-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Not if you have Netflix!
Who needs Netflix, I can easily check out scores of Criterions from my library today... shame they cut me off at 24 titles out at a time (try 24 out with Netflix). Last I checked, my county library system has over 300 Criterion movies, including some of the new Blu-rays. The popular ones usually have a long queue, but I'd say that 75% or more are available without a wait.
Old 08-04-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Lord of the Flies
Mona Lisa
Night to Remember, A

The first two are non-anamorphic, which kind of bothers me. Lord of the Flies is even cropped to FS (or maybe, God forbid, P&S?), right?

Anybody have any more information on those, or any fixes that might be coming in the future? I'd like to get them, but I am really holding off on buying anything non-anamorphic (or with other obvious defects), since I am really trying to keep myself from having to double-dip, and my track history has been once I give in and buy the slightly unsatisfactory version, a new-and-improved one comes along shortly thereafter.
I can only comment on the Mona Lisa one, but that film is rather gray and muted. I'm pretty sure I noticed a "defect" in the first twenty minutes of the film. The DVD was pretty bare boned too as there was the original trailer and there might have been an alternate commentary track(I don't remember). I think the CC version was released in 2001 or 2002.

Third Man, The (don't you judge me for not having seen this!)
To be honest, I've never seen this on a DVD. Most of my viewings have been via TCM or an old VHS. The film itself is great and the last time I saw it (2 yrs ago) I found myself engrossed in the story. I think it has almost something for everyone: social commentary, mystery, and a love story to boot. I picked up the BR version a few weeks ago.

39 Steps
Ok, I'm going under the assumption that you've seen some Hitchcock films before, so I'll just make a comparison. 39 Steps is closer to Strangers on a Train/North by Northwest vein with the theme of "wronged man" on the run. The Lady Vanishes compares more favorably to Psycho or Vertigo.
Man, I wish I had a local library that had these that I could borrow and watch before blindly buying them.
I'm not sure whether or not I'll be bashed for this but youtube is also an alternative. I found M and The Third Man (in its entirety) on a channel recently. I also watched Band of Outsiders there before buying it at bn. It also stopped me from making blind buys on several dvds.
Old 08-04-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everyone who wants to see Criterion-style movies before buying them should check out:

The Auteurs

You're welcome.
Old 08-04-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
simply post the link for the scanned B&N store (bricks and mortar) receipt showing at least one Criterion purchased included in a total sale of $200+ during the recent 50 percent off sale and you've just done something nice for children in need.

Deal?
This is beyond absurd, you guys have your panties in a bunch over some $5 off coupons, of which an entire thread of people did the same thing I did. Get off the holier than though attitude as if you have lead a morally perfect life. If you two don't want to use coupons that others do, fine, but there is no reason to call others "sleazy" for doing so & then rant & rant about it.

Why do you need the excuse of a challenge to donate to charity. Just do so, in fact, why are you spending money on DVDs at all, when it can go to charity, given your high morals, how do you sleep at night wasting all that money on yourself. You can PM me & everyone that used these coupons if you guys want to lecture more, enough of derailing this thread.
Old 08-04-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
Who needs Netflix, I can easily check out scores of Criterions from my library today... shame they cut me off at 24 titles out at a time (try 24 out with Netflix). Last I checked, my county library system has over 300 Criterion movies, including some of the new Blu-rays. The popular ones usually have a long queue, but I'd say that 75% or more are available without a wait.
Lucky you, my local libraries have a small selection of Criterions. I think the larger ones like in Hartford, Conn. might have a few more though.
Old 08-04-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Lucky you, my local libraries have a small selection of Criterions. I think the larger ones like in Hartford, Conn. might have a few more though.
Do a search at www.biblio.org to see which libraries in CT have which Criterions.
Old 08-04-09, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ororama
Brief Encounter is overrated, due to the excellent direction and performances by Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson.
Spoiler:
I had assumed that the lack of explicit sexuality was a result of the censorship of the time, and didn't realize until my most recent viewing that they seem not to have done it at all-Celia Johnson apparently becomes hysterical at the thought of it.
Respectfully disagree. As these acclaimed classics go, I'd say it is underrated.

Since Brief Encounter is my favorite movie, I could not recommend it more, but not as a blind buy. As you see, it's not for everyone.

Last edited by Gamelore; 08-04-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 09:27 PM

Meh, none of these interest me except for maybe The Lady Vanishes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.