DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battlestar Galactica Complete Series $199.49 at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

This is for the Blu-ray.
Old 07-29-09, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica Complete Series $199.49 at Amazon.com

just an FYI, its cheaper through deepdiscount with the 25% off. Right now its $169 with the sale.
Old 07-30-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only about $50-60 more than the Deepdiscount price if you factor in bing.com cashback.
Old 07-30-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Only about $50-60 more than the Deepdiscount price if you factor in bing.com cashback.
The starting DDD price jumped to $225 today. It's obviously still cheaper there after coupons and discounts, just not $50-$60 cheaper.
Old 07-30-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
The starting DDD price jumped to $225 today.
Classic DD. I thought it would have happened at launch day.
Old 07-30-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it also "classic DD" that they LOWERED the price on release day and credited back people's credit cards for the price difference even after orders shipped (if you called them and requested it)? So sick of these knee-jerk a-hole comments about DD. Some people will never give them an f'in break, and even when they go out of their way to provide good customer service, they still get comments like this. You wont be happy until everything's 90% off and they're out of business the next day.
Old 07-30-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cheato
Is it also "classic DD" that they LOWERED the price on release day and credited back people's credit cards for the price difference even after orders shipped (if you called them and requested it)? So sick of these knee-jerk a-hole comments about DD. Some people will never give them an f'in break, and even when they go out of their way to provide good customer service, they still get comments like this. You wont be happy until everything's 90% off and they're out of business the next day.
no, because then everything will be in backordered or not shipped the imediate second the order is placed. so even then still no.
Old 07-30-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude
Classic DD. I thought it would have happened at launch day.
Very convenient of you to not quote the rest of Chew's post. It's still $30 cheaper than Amazon's price. The only reason Amazon lowered their price was to try and compete with DD. Your complaint is ridiculous.
Old 07-30-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
The only reason Amazon lowered their price was to try and compete with DD.
I doubt that is it...Amazon does not usually pay too much attention to DD's pricing, but they always seem to try and match most sale prices offered by the major retailers like Best Buy and Walmart....in fact, the BSG BD set was $219.99 at Amazon, until Best Buy dropped their price to $209.99, which they then matched....now, Amazon is selling it for $199.49 to match Walmart's $199.32 price....

Don't know why anyone would complain too loudly that DD raised their price anyway....as has been stated, with their 25% off sale, they are STILL the cheapest around at about $169 (though you might be waiting a bit for stock to arrive)...I mean, it's still over half off of MSRP, you can't just expect them to give them away! I was just surprised they lowered the price to $201 before coupon for a little while there....if you got in on it at the price, great job, if not, better luck next time, but DD doesn't owe it to anyone when they were (and still are) already the lowest out there...
Old 07-30-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even though a person who buys this set for $200 is technically saving a lot of money compared to suggested retail, the price per season is still $50, correct? I'm on the fence about purchasing this show on BD (I like it a lot, but I'm not sure that it will have good replay value). Maybe I'll wait for a sale that occurs after MSRP goes down (like X-Files did on DVD).

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 07-30-09 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

X-Files was the first TV series on DVD. It took nearly 10 years to go from $100+ per season down to $20 a season (or less). Do you really want to wait that long?
Old 07-30-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of a bogus example. There's no basis for that kind of comparison. There is no commonality between those two events whatsoever.

But more seriously: we're 4 months away from Black Friday. You really think BSG won't be available cheaper then? If so, you're deluding yourself. $50 per season is way too much, setting aside the fact that they fooled you into thinking you were getting more seasons with their .5 numbering system.
Old 07-31-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe X-Files wasn't the best example. But my point is that the MSRP for Battlestar Galactica ($350) is too high. That translates to $87.50 per season!!! I bet the MSRP will go down at some point.
Old 08-01-09, 11:42 PM

Damn, nycdude got destroyed! He aint coming back
Old 08-02-09, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Didnt they split some of the seasons into 2 sets? I hate when they do that and then get you to pay for both halves of 1 season .
Old 08-02-09, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Didnt they split some of the seasons into 2 sets? I hate when they do that and then get you to pay for both halves of 1 season .
Yeah, S2 and S4 were both split. I hate that...
Old 08-02-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
If they were truly going "out of their way to provide good customer service", they would have given everyone that ordered at the higher price the credit, not just the ones that complained.
Old 08-02-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
X-Files was the first TV series on DVD. It took nearly 10 years to go from $100+ per season down to $20 a season (or less). Do you really want to wait that long?
Didnt the rereleased sets have an initial msrp of about $50, that dropeed pretty quickly with sales and whatnot to $20?
Old 08-02-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcool
Didnt the rereleased sets have an initial msrp of about $50, that dropeed pretty quickly with sales and whatnot to $20?
Nope. They were actually $150 a season at Suncoast. Everywhere else they were about $100.
Old 08-02-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
If they were truly going "out of their way to provide good customer service", they would have given everyone that ordered at the higher price the credit, not just the ones that complained.
Best Buy doesn't call you up and tell you that the price just dropped, so come on in and get a refund for the difference.
Wal-Mart doesn't do that, either.
When Amazon had their 30-day price guarantee, you had to email them to request it. They didn't just send you the difference automatically.
Nobody does that.

My point was that DD doesn't have a policy that will (automatically or not) refund you the difference when the price drops after you commit to buying it.

However, they did go out of their way to provide refunds to people who asked for them. They didn't have to. They don't have a policy that says they will. They did it to try to keep some greedy people happy.

You decide to buy something, you order it at that price. Why are you suddenly unhappy when the price drops? If it wasn't a good price in the beginning, you shouldn't have ordered it. Right? I mean, what the hell is this conversation even about? It's about someone (and other people) who decide(s) to order things and then later get(s) greedy. Try going to the car salesman and saying that you're unhappy because they're having a sale this month that's better than the one last month when you purchased, and you'd really like the difference credited back to your card or better terms on the lease. How about the housing market? Or an airline ticket? When in real life do you get to go back after a purchase and say, oh yeah, I'm unhappy with the decision I made to buy at the price you offered before, so make me happy by giving me money back now?

And then to suggest that it should be done automatically, for everyone? Ludicrous.
Old 08-03-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Nope. They were actually $150 a season at Suncoast. Everywhere else they were about $100.
are you talking about the re-released sets or the original ones? I remember when the re-releases started coming out ( or a little before) Best Buy heavily discounted the original sets.