Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Ok, for today, I'm done looking for the $3.00 cartoon sets. I'm gonna put on the Beatles, "Yesterday", and cry myself to sleep. Good night.
Old 07-18-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, actually found myself passing by the North Hollywood BL on Vineland this afternoon, so I stopped in, but came away with nothing. Lots of $3 WB titles seen everywhere; only box sets were the usual suspects, JOEY, WEST WING, O.C., blah blah blah, nothing new, nothing good.

The whole thing was a big bust and I mean that literally. Just so as to not be a complete waste, spotted a tiny, beautiful Asian woman with the biggest...box sets...I have ever seen in my life! OMG!
Old 07-18-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah, talked to another shopper by the DVDs and he said they had the THUNDERCATS sets at the BL on Vineland in North Hollywood, but he said they were all behind the register and you had to ask for them. ???
Old 07-18-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which Kubrick collection is at Big Lots?

1) The original non-remastered release?
2) The remastered release?
3) The release with less titles, but special editions for each?

That's a steal for the Powerpuff Girls collection. I paid $50 for it less than five months ago for Valentine's Day for my girlfriend.
Old 07-18-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Which Kubrick collection is at Big Lots?

1) The original non-remastered release?
2) The remastered release?
3) The release with less titles, but special editions for each?
3) The release from last year with the special editions...
Old 07-18-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did a round of local BL stores today and none of them had the $10 sets. I'm still looking for the Looney Tunes set if any of you can still find one for me.

I did find lots of the new $3 sets though, like Tales From The Crypt, Popeye, and almost all of the Hanna Barbera sets.

I also picked up Jacques Cousteau River Explorations (6-disc set), the Larry King set, Mission Hill The Complete Series, and the Nick Nolte film Mother Night.

Are those $10 sets in a future ad or are they just showing up?
Old 07-18-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Just called the Allentown, PA store. Some jack ass went and spent $500 and wiped them out of all their entire $3 DVD shipment! I wish nothing less then death on him and his entire family! GREEDY MONEY HUNGRY BASTARD!
Word is spreading around the net... We'll probably hear this more and more often now, unfortunately.

Store here that had 10 of the Popeye sets on Thursday night before close had 0 this morning. Now, I suppose it's possible that 10 people felt the urge to buy one... Or that they were grabbed as gifts. But, the most likely conclusion for me is that a hoarder/reseller grabbed em' all.
Old 07-18-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rb3983
Greenville, SC. I picked up The Flintstones Seasons 3 and 5. Tales From the Crypt Vol. 1-5, Animaniacs Vol.1 and 2. Dukes of Hazzard 4, 5, and 6.

My wife doesn't like me anymore.
Which store?
Old 07-18-09, 06:52 PM

Guys, you probably shouldn't count on getting 20% off the entire day tomorrow. I called Richmond, KY to ask them if they were extending the sale to all-day like Lexington (where I got a coupon with the 5pm marked out). Richmond said, that no, their sale is only 5-9pm, just like printed on the coupon.

So, bottom line: if you're planning to hit a certain store tomorrow, call ahead if you don't already know their policy, or you might end up disappointed...
Old 07-18-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to seven BL stores today, yes seven (and again, none of those had the $10 sets yet), and every single one of the stores gave me a bunch of the coupons. Some of them had the hours marked out and wrote "All Day" in place of the hours, and the rest of them altered the 5 to make it 9AM to 9PM.
Old 07-18-09, 07:21 PM
Cool New Member

Don't know if anyone posted this, but didn't see it. Picked up 2 copies of wait for it... Wonder Woman: The Complete Series. 6 bucks a pop...talk about a steal.

Hope they have that Looney Toons set tomorrow
Old 07-18-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Texas, and bought several of the Popeye sets to give as gifts to friends/family. But I'm sure others are buying just to sell...
Old 07-18-09, 07:34 PM

I had no luck find any $3 or $10 sets today but I hate to know what I'm going to end up spending at Big Lots in the coming weeks.
Old 07-18-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit Kingshwy and Watson Rd in St Louis today.

The only $3 sets that Watson Rd had were Flintstones Seasons 1-3 (for some reason, none of the volume 1s were shrink-wrapped). No Popeye sets (Valeyard reported that they had some on Friday).

No $10 sets to be found at either store.
Old 07-18-09, 08:10 PM
Banned

Just got back from a useless 2 hour trip! Called a Big Lots 1 hour away and was told "YES! They got them in today and they were put out this morning!" When I arrived there was none to be found. I asked the manager and the guy in charge of shipments and they both said they had no idea what I was talking about and they were not sure who or why I was told they were in. I WANT MY DAMN GAS MONEY BACK FOR MY USELESS 2 HOUR DRIVE! I was lied to by a store employee! So be warned...
Old 07-18-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn, 2 hour drive just for Big Lots? Some of you people are dedicated.... lol
Employees bullshit all the time, they just want to get you in the store....
Old 07-18-09, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Word is spreading around the net... We'll probably hear this more and more often now, unfortunately.

Store here that had 10 of the Popeye sets on Thursday night before close had 0 this morning. Now, I suppose it's possible that 10 people felt the urge to buy one... Or that they were grabbed as gifts. But, the most likely conclusion for me is that a hoarder/reseller grabbed em' all.
Unfortunately, threads like this one are all over the net and act like a double edged sword. On one side there are people just looking for a bargain for any given movie or boxed set for their collection and on the other side are the scum sucking maggots who will go into a store and buy everything they see with the hope of reselling it for a profit.

I strongly believe the stores should set a limit of one boxed set or given item per customer so others will have a fair chance to get a copy. Allowing someone to walk into the store and buy every copy of a single title is total BS. I would bet that if enough people complained about that they would put a stop to it fairly quickly but things like this tend to be a free-for-all with every man for himself so nothing will likely come of it.

This reminds me of my most recent quest to get the Star Trek DVD boxed set... When I did finally manage to locate a place that had it, I waited until I had my copy before breathing a word about where I located it because I have little doubt that within hours of revealing it, the remaining locations that had it were cleaned out.
Old 07-18-09, 08:44 PM

I say all members hear should email the company to enforce a purchase limit on dvds. If grocery stores can do this on a cases of Pepsi why can't Big Lots do this on dvds.
Old 07-18-09, 08:46 PM

Big Lots IN MY OPINION is not going to pass up a sale. Money is money and the early bird catches the worm.

PLUS some people buy extras to trade. THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT STILL HELP OTHERS. I PICKED UP 3 Blu-rays of Nip Tuck Season 4. AND AM PROUD OF IT. (BTW the 2 extras are pending trade).
Old 07-18-09, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Big Lots IN MY OPINION is not going to pass up a sale. Money is money and the early bird catches the worm.

PLUS some people buy extras to trade. THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT STILL HELP OTHERS. I PICKED UP 3 Blu-rays of Nip Tuck Season 4. AND AM PROUD OF IT. (BTW the 2 extras are pending trade).
Especially in this economy any sale no matter how many a person is good for BL. And I also see nothing wrong with getting 2 or 3 of a dvd but when you go in and basically take all the stock I take offense to that. Oh well thank god I live close enough to visit several if one gets ram shacked.
Old 07-18-09, 08:57 PM

Stopped in this morning and a cashier told me to come back later in the day as they had new DVD's locked up in the managers office. I came back and FINALLY hit a restock as they were putting it out! Here's my loot, all $3 each:

Tales From The Crypt S1-S6
Flintstones S5, S6
Batman TAS S1 & Superman TAS S1 2-pk
Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm Complete Series
Superfriends V2
Josie & The Pussycats Complete Series
Tracey Takes On S1
Murphy Brown S1
Jonny Quest S1
Top Cat Complete Series
Larry King Greatest Interviews (3-disc set)
The Fog (1980)

To top that off, fellow DVD-Talker Perry (alltwistedup) sent out my package today containing Dallas S1-9 and Animaniacs S2!

I noticed that like the Flintstones S3, all of the Flintstones S5 at this location were sans shrinkwrap. Also they had a total of 4 sets of Tales From The Crypt 1-6 plus a few extras. My friend bought a set, some other customer lady bought a set, and I bought 2 sets. I will be adding the extra TFTC 1-6 to my trade list.

What a steal all of this was! Would've even been better tomorrow with the 20% off coupon, but I'm not gonna complain! I couldn't leave them in hopes of them being there tomorrow as we all know they wouldn't be!
Old 07-18-09, 09:03 PM
Banned

Ok, lets say I take $1000 down to each of my three local BigLots when they open and say that when your truck arrives, your entire shipment of DVD's is sold, sight unseen. I would bet things like that would piss a lot of people off now wouldn't it? I could easily do this but I am not interested in doing so because I only want my favorite titles for a bargain just like everybody else.

I have NOTHING against helping other people but when supplies are typically VERY LIMITED I still believe that allowing people to buy MULTIPLE copies of the same title is BS and would be willing to bet that there are many others who feel the same way.
Old 07-18-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what it seems here in Vegas, the Big Lots won't put out the titles until two days before the ad comes out.

Because if you sign up for an account on BigLots.com, you get the weekly ad two days early.
Old 07-18-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Just got back from a useless 2 hour trip! Called a Big Lots 1 hour away and was told "YES! They got them in today and they were put out this morning!" When I arrived there was none to be found. I asked the manager and the guy in charge of shipments and they both said they had no idea what I was talking about and they were not sure who or why I was told they were in. I WANT MY DAMN GAS MONEY BACK FOR MY USELESS 2 HOUR DRIVE! I was lied to by a store employee! So be warned...
Originally Posted by Torchur317
Damn, 2 hour drive just for Big Lots? Some of you people are dedicated.... lol
Employees bullshit all the time, they just want to get you in the store....
I don't mean to be too hard on Big Lots employees, but most that I have dealt with on the phones are absolutely no help. When I ask if they've recieved any new DVDs, they either have no idea, or say 'We have lots, you have to come down and look for yourself.'

In my opinion, Big Lots is the epitome of YMMV.
Old 07-18-09, 09:21 PM

I went to 7 Big Lots! In St. Louis and Metro East area today (Actually 8 but the last one was closed down) (AM I HOLDING THE DVDTALK RECORD LOL) and got some stuff from 3 stores and nothing really interesting at other 4 stores.

3801 Nameoki Road Suite #22 Granite City, IL 62040
10803 West Florissant Avenue Ferguson, MO 63135
10415 Saint Charles Rock Road Saint Ann, MO 63074
8563 Watson Road Webster Groves, MO 63119
4930 South Kingshighway Boulevard Saint Louis, MO 63116
4433 Lemay Ferry Road Saint Louis, MO 63129
10850 Lincoln Trail Fairview Heights, IL 62208

I was hoping to find any of the $10 complete box sets but no luck. I got some $3 sets and some $6 sets.

Here is the damage:

Watson Road Big Lots!
Flintstones S1,S2,and S3. $3 each. ( For some reason none of the S1 or S2 were shrink-wrapped but they were in good condition)
The War at Home Complete S1 $3.
Super Friends V2 $3.

West Florissant Ave Big Lots!
Louis&Clark The New Adventures of Superman First Season $3
Josie and the Pussy Cats The Complete Series $3
The Greatest Interviews Larry King Live $3
Jacques Cousteau River Explorations $3
Double Feature Batman The Legend Begins and Batman The Tales of The Dark Knight Animated Series $3 ( Two snapcases shrink-wrapped together )
Agatha Christie Collection $3
Huckleberry Hound Show Volume 1 $3
What’s New Scooby-Doo? Volume 1 (Space Ape at the Cape) and Creepiest Capers Double packed $3

KingsHighway Big Lots!
Smallville S7 (blu) $6
Smallville S4 $6
The OC S2,S3 $6 each
Roots 30th Anniversary Edition $6
Full House S5 $6
Wonder Women S3 $6
The Jamie Foxx Show $6
Scooby-Doo! Where Are You! S3 $6
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home S1 $6
Scooby-Doo! 5 Original Animated Movies $6
Super Friends to Justice League DVD 3-Pack (3 movie pack) $6
The Justice League Collection DVD 3-Pack (3 movie pack) $6

They have plenty of all the movies that I bought except OC S3,Wonder Women S3 and Louis&Clark S1. I picked the last copy of each.

I am going to Fairview Heights Big Lots! Tomorrow and I am hoping that I can find some of those magical $10 sets.

Good luck and Happy Hunting to all of you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.