(DEAD) 50% of Criterion @ Barnes & Noble - 7/14

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) 50% of Criterion @ Barnes & Noble - 7/14

Old 07-14-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
re: (DEAD) 50% of Criterion @ Barnes & Noble - 7/14

I'm pretty broke right now,but ordered

Seven Samurai and Hamlet for around $35 shipped.

Wish I could get more, but $$$ is tight right now
Old 07-14-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rizor
I'm thinking of ordering The Wages of Fear & The Last Metro on Blu, but I haven't seen them. Any recommendations?
I haven't seen Last Metro but Wages of Fear is an amazing film.

I ended up ordering Chungking Express and Man Who Fell to Earth on Blu. With my membership and one of the discount codes, this is a pretty great deal.
Old 07-14-09, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by for_reels
At my B&N, which is pretty much brand new, they had a big sign up that said Criterions 50% off. They only had about 7 or 8 BD titles and they all had the big 50% off stickers on them. I looked at the SD's and they were not all tagged 50% off. The big sign said "Selected titles". I would think that B&M and website would be the same price.
You think Wrong..............Unfortunately they are not and at times NOT EVEN CLOSE IN PRICE. For Instance a Michael Jackson Boxed set is $59.99 in store and online is $39.99. Also a wrestling DVD set is $249.99 in store and $224.99online. BE SURE TO CHECK PRICES TO GET THE BEST DEAL.
Old 07-14-09, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ccfixx
Just letting you know that I was in my local Barnes & Noble yesterday and the "Benjamin Button" blu-ray already had a 50% off sticker on it... which essentially brings its $39.99 price down to $20 plus whatever local taxes you pay. This was in Rhode Island.

CC

Just checked Barnesandnoble.com and Benjmain Button IS NOT 50% on BLU-RAY. Someone here previuolsy posted they saw it at their store with a 50% off sticker......so I am guessing this is a YMMV?

Last edited by doctaheath78; 07-14-09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Just checked Barnesandnoble.com and Benjmain Button IS NOT 50% on BLU-RAY. Someone here previuolsy posted they saw it at their store with a 50% off sticker......so I am guessing this is a YMMV?
Yes, and that person was me, and I saw "Benjamin Button" in-store again today for 50% off at the Barnes & Noble in Warwick, RI. So, yes... it's possible that Your Mileage May Vary.

CC
Old 07-14-09, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ccfixx
Yes, and that person was me, and I saw "Benjamin Button" in-store again today for 50% off at the Barnes & Noble in Warwick, RI. So, yes... it's possible that Your Mileage May Vary.

CC
That is strange that it is not on there website for 50% off like the rest of them. That is going to suck to have to take the time to call all the Barnes and Noble to find it for 50% off.
Old 07-14-09, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by for_reels
At my B&N, which is pretty much brand new, they had a big sign up that said Criterions 50% off. They only had about 7 or 8 BD titles and they all had the big 50% off stickers on them. I looked at the SD's and they were not all tagged 50% off. The big sign said "Selected titles". I would think that B&M and website would be the same price.
Just to let you know, when I went in to my local Barnes & Noble today after work, all of the Criterion blu-rays were stickered and their endcap of "New Release" Criterion discs were stickered for the 50% off but none of their hundred or so Criterion discs had the sticker on it.

I had to ask the employee, and she thought it was weird... so, she and I went through every single Criterion DVD with her PDT machine to check them, and I ended up placing a 50% off sticker on every disc in the store. Every one was on-sale, but they just hadn't been stickered, yet.

CC
Old 07-14-09, 10:06 PM

Wonder why then NOT ALL OF THEM on the website are 50% off................very strange, but thats Barnes and Noble for ya.
Old 07-14-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is strange that it is not on there website for 50% off like the rest of them. That is going to suck to have to take the time to call all the Barnes and Noble to find it for 50% off.
It was 50% off at the store by me as well. In fact, every Criterion at the store was 50% off. As others mentioned, online is only select titles. Other titles such as the re-releases of The Seventh Seal & For All Mankind are still full price online.
Old 07-14-09, 10:16 PM

Quick Question..................is Monty Python's Life of Brian a Criterion movie on Blu-Ray? According to B&N.com it is listed.............but every where else I check it seems it is not. Can anyone confirm this?

Also............anyone have any recommendations of Criterion Blu-Rays to buy blindly? Any recent movies available besides B. Button and/ or comedies?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-09, 10:17 PM

Quick Question..................is Monty Python's Life of Brian a Criterion movie on Blu-Ray? According to B&N.com it is listed.............but every where else I check it seems it is not. Can anyone confirm this?

Also............anyone have any recommendations of Criterion Blu-Rays to buy blindly? Any recent movies available besides B. Button and/ or comedies?

Thanks.
It is not. Sony.
Old 07-14-09, 10:31 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&n=130&s=dvd

According to Amazon it is...................just finding out if it is on Blu-Ray as well like Barnes and Noble says?
Old 07-14-09, 10:58 PM

doctahealth78,
life of brian is available through criterion in standard dvd, but the blu-ray has not been released by criterion (only sony)

hope this helps
Old 07-14-09, 10:59 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&n=130&s=dvd

According to Amazon it is...................just finding out if it is on Blu-Ray as well like Barnes and Noble says?
Once again, it is not. (You asked if the Blu-ray is a criterion release.)

You linked to the long out-of-print Criterion DVD. The more recent DVD release and the Blu-ray are from Sony. The BN website also has Do The Right Thing listed, which is a mistake. (For that title, there's an OOP Criterion and a new release on DVD and BD that is from Universal.)

Last edited by Arthur Dent; 07-14-09 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification guys. It is much appreciated.

Also...........anyone have any recommendations of Criterion Blu-Rays to buy blindly?

Finally, are there any recent movies available on Criterion Blu-Ray besides B. Button?
Old 07-15-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldn't buy much if any blind as tastes vary. But there are probably a few I will be blind buying during this sale (mostly from some of my favorite film-makers though).

The 400 Blows and The Seventh Seal are good Blu-ray ones to get. Both are amazing films with great releases IMHO. So, for the sake of recommendations, those two get my top pick. But The Last Metro and The Third Man wouldn't be bad choices either. I'm thinking about ordering them. If you are a fan of Wes Anderson or Wong Kar Wai films Bottle Rocket and Chungking Express are also essential.
Old 07-15-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for the clarification guys. It is much appreciated.

Also...........anyone have any recommendations of Criterion Blu-Rays to buy blindly?

Finally, are there any recent movies available on Criterion Blu-Ray besides B. Button?

The 400 Blows(Essential Arts)

Also I bought and never seen before

--The Wages of Fear
--In the Realm of the Senses

Also I think Bottle Rocket(1996) is the only kind of recent Criterion on Blu-ray.
Old 07-15-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought In the Realm of the Senses was good, to a degree, but I can't see myself ever wanting to watch it again. For many it seems to be a love it or hate it kind of film. I wouldn't suggest a blind buy purchase of it.

I may blind buy The Wages of the Fear myself. I have only heard great things about that film.
Old 07-15-09, 02:44 AM

I see that Amazon is now matching the non-member price on several of the Criterion blu-rays. Didn't check on the standard editions.
Old 07-15-09, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Um, dude. I ordered $160 worth of stuff. Half of which was blind purchasing. Oops...

Hopefully I enjoy my packages when I get them. Obviously, I will now order less from the Deep Discount sale.
Old 07-15-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GenPion
Um, dude. I ordered $160 worth of stuff. Obviously, I will now order less from the Deep Discount sale.
Uh huh, suuuuuuuure you will.
Old 07-15-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a non-Criterion collector, is Bottle Rocket a worthy purchase on BD? I own, but have never watched the standard non-Criterion DVD. I have been upgrading a LOT of titles to BD where I can unload the sealed original. Wondering if that is one worth upgrading...
Old 07-15-09, 07:49 AM

Was in my local B&N yesterday - the entire collection was 50% off. They did not have The Seventh Seal Blu Ray in stock, which is the only title I was looking for. The manager offered to order it for me, with free shipping to my home. When he went to order it, the title did not have the 50% discount, so he just adjusted the price manually. When I got home last night, I had already received a shipping notice.
Old 07-15-09, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
For a non-Criterion collector, is Bottle Rocket a worthy purchase on BD? I own, but have never watched the standard non-Criterion DVD. I have been upgrading a LOT of titles to BD where I can unload the sealed original. Wondering if that is one worth upgrading...
I sure think it is worth the upgrade... especially from the Sony DVD release, if that's the one you're referring to.

I still can't post links, but head on over to DVDBeavers's site and check out their comparison/review of the Sony DVD, Criterion DVD, and Criterion blu-ray. I think there's a great deal of difference in color and clarity.

CC
Old 07-15-09, 08:17 AM

I ordered La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, 8 1/2, Scenes From A Marriage and By Brakhage. They've all been on my list for ages and I've been waiting to get them cheap.

And thanks to the person who posted the VISA discount in the bargains thread!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.