Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Important Announcement regarding DDDVD semi-annual sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Important Announcement regarding DDDVD semi-annual sale

Cool. Thanks to the OP for the news. Hopefully this will stop all of the other inane threads asking about when the DDD sale will start
Old 06-08-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Says who? Did you check every single one of them?
I ran a price search on DVDs and got the same result Trevor did- 11,142 titles.
Old 06-08-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If business is so bad that they have to close their B&M, you would think a nice, big influx of cash would do the trick for them right about now
Old 06-08-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
LOL...I was getting ready to say I bet mnementh could list them. But yes, Trevor is correct.
Old 06-08-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they don't jack up the prices before this sale.
Old 06-08-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Cool... this means I can jump on some amazon sales and still have money in July!

... although 25% would have been nicer... I'll still take it!

Thanks OP!
Old 06-08-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it'd happen sooner since there are a few titles that I suspect are only priced at their current price due to competition from Amazon and other stores. Since those sales end soon, I suspect DD will increase their prices. With the news that it'll be only 20% off, I'll plan accordingly.
Old 06-08-09, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnementh
Curious, how do you run search?

Already with the price increase talk and the sale isn't even on yet.

As far as prices increasing before the sale, all I can say is that a few months before the last November sale I made a list of my wants with current DD prices (based on these type of claims). While there were some changes the net difference was about the same. In all but a few cases, the discounted price was arround 20% lower then anyone else's. Some items that Amazon also had on sale at the same time were more similarly priced but DD has it on almost the entire selection.

While this may not be true for everyone based on what is on their wish list, I would recommend people make a list now if they want to be able to do a comparison later. It just seemed to me that last time there were way to many people making grand statements of DD raising ALL their prices just before the sale without being able to provide concrete examples.

Besides it is just good sense to track prices over time across different multiple vendors.
Old 06-08-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Does this mean IL residents won't have to pay sales tax on website purchases? Not that I care but it might stop Blagojevich from using that mail drop in Gary.... we've already got enough border problems with illegals sneaking into IN without this additional headache.
Old 06-08-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes...the stores in California are Dvd Planet....the one in Stanton being a sentimental one as it used to be Ken Cranes which was a "Huge" laserdisc only store at one time which started the tradition of 25% off sale long ago. Those were the days when you really looked forward to the sale and actually had to go and wait in line at the store with a empty box in hand.
Old 06-08-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rizor
I was hoping it'd happen sooner since there are a few titles that I suspect are only priced at their current price due to competition from Amazon and other stores.
Same here. It's unfortunate news that the sale has been postponed, as there are a dozen WB Blu-rays at half off already in my cart. Looks like I'll be out some major savings.
Old 06-08-09, 08:53 PM

I always thought that the DD20% sale is so 2006 and not really that much relevant anymore.
Plenty of good deals from other places if you're a savy bargain hunter and have the patience to wait for price drops.
It may be a case that the DD discount may be good for a bit off the price of new releases, but I never get anything till it's at least 50+% off anyway.
I doubt I would ever have got Boston Legal for the current $12.99 price I can now get it from Amazon from any DD20% off sale.

Last edited by david2708; 06-08-09 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-08-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bsmith
Curious, how do you run search?
http://dvdpricesearch.com
Old 06-08-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

If business is so bad that they have to close their B&M, you would think a nice, big influx of cash would do the trick for them right about now
This would make sense if the sale was all about clearing out excess inventory that was just sitting on the shelves- but as has been evident from the past few sales, with so many items immediately being invoiced as backordered, DD is purchasing new stock to fill the sale orders.
When you take into account all the advertising dollars DD has to put out to accompany these sales (ads in the NY Times, LA Times, USA Today, radio, etc) and then the cost of hiring on extra hands to deal with the short term volume increase...and then add in the cost of postal rates going up, the notion of these sales continuing to function as loss leaders in a recession is getting harder and harder to justify. The loss part is on target, but I have a hard time believing they are leading to a significant enough uptick in general sales year round to justify their continued existence.

I do hope I'm wrong. July is filled with some great stuff. A sale then would be damn near perfect for me- especially since I already got all my post November/pre June wants filled in the 10% off sale last month.
Old 06-08-09, 09:41 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by david2708
I always thought that the DD20% sale is so 2006 and not really that much relevant anymore.
I doubt I would ever have got Boston Legal for the current $12.99 price I can now get it from Amazon from any DD20% off sale.
You might not have gotten it for 20% off of $12.99, but DeepDiscount still does a lowest price guarantee, right?

If you're someone who doesn't want to spend a large chunk of his or her time comparing daily price fluctuations of dvd's at online retailers, the DeepDiscount sale is still very relevant! In the past few years, between every sale, I've gradually built up a wishlist of things to buy during these sales and when I go to actually toss them in my shopping cart, almost all of them are still at the lowest current online price before the 20% off... some of them aren't, but the lowest price guarantee is still in effect, right? so worst case scenario is that you'll pay the lowest price available for any given title....
Old 06-08-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bunny_309
You might not have gotten it for 20% off of $12.99, but DeepDiscount still does a lowest price guarantee, right?

If you're someone who doesn't want to spend a large chunk of his or her time comparing daily price fluctuations of dvd's at online retailers, the DeepDiscount sale is still very relevant! In the past few years, between every sale, I've gradually built up a wishlist of things to buy during these sales and when I go to actually toss them in my shopping cart, almost all of them are still at the lowest current online price before the 20% off... some of them aren't, but the lowest price guarantee is still in effect, right? so worst case scenario is that you'll pay the lowest price available for any given title....
The lowest price guarantee just means they will price match any lower online price you see. Not worth the effort if you have LOTS of DVDs on your wish list- plus they DON'T take off the extra 20% on price matches. You only get one or the other.
Old 06-08-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Folks,

Yes, I'm the guy that placed the original post on here earlier in the day and my name is Richard, by the way. I was also stunned when the guy told me the store was closing and I was definitely looking forward to the sale at the Naperville store. They must have gotten squeezed out by Wal-mart or the competition, but I agree with one of the posters on here from Illinois where he mentioned that their inventory has been dwindling as of late. the last time I went into that store (December 2008), they had lesser and lesser titles there than the time before I got there and they will match their website price to the store price, whatever comes out lowest. For right now, the guy told me they can act as a special ordering center for titles to be had off their website, so the sale will go on as planned in July on deepdiscount.com. As for the remaining inventory, they might be starting to clear out whatever is left there on the premises but in case you don't believe me, feel free to call the number I provided and they'll explain what's going on but this is the truth.
Old 06-08-09, 10:34 PM

The lowest price guarantee just means they will price match any lower online price you see. Not worth the effort if you have LOTS of DVDs on your wish list- plus they DON'T take off the extra 20% on price matches. You only get one or the other.
Don't you think it's a bit much to ask them to not only guarantee the lowest price but to also do it by 20%? I personally have not run across any business that does that. The reality is that other vendors will have some things on sale at the same time as the DD sale. To take 20% off a competitors sales price might just mean losing money in the transaction. Especially with how competitive the pricing has been at times.

I agree that there are many sales these days and that the bi-annual DD 20% off sale is not always the best price something may have ever been at. But generally most other sales are a subset of products by one category or another. One of the biggest values of the DD sale is that practically all the DVD's are on sale at one time. offering the biggest selection for a single sale.
Old 06-08-09, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Yes, I'm familiar with the price search engine. However, I wasn't sure how to perform a search to determine how many DVD's are the cheapest at any given vendor as in the message I quoted.
Old 06-08-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I'm familiar with the price search engine. However, I wasn't sure how to perform a search to determine how many DVD's are the cheapest at any given vendor as in the message I quoted.
Use the Power Search function. Choose Deep Discount as your store and check the box "only include titles where this store has the lowest price".
Old 06-08-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll keep this thread open since the OP seems to have provided legit information. Please be civil. Thank you!
Old 06-08-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Low RG
Use the Power Search function. Choose Deep Discount as your store and check the box "only include titles where this store has the lowest price".
Or just click the 'Browse the Aisles' tab and then click on 'Deep Discount' or any other store you are interested in.
Old 06-09-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, probably a good idea to keep this open. There won't be any more topics asking when it will start (hopefully) and we can keep it as a discussion topic.
Old 06-09-09, 01:33 AM

Truly sad news to hear the Naperville store is closing. One of my few good B&M resources bites the dust...
Old 06-09-09, 06:10 AM

Having it later does open the sale up for more titles, and gives us more time to save money. But I was looking at getting a couple of titles for a Father's Day gift and a birthday present for my mom, which is in June. Oh well, I might have to figure something else out or just pay the current price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.