Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '09

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 10:11 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '09

Originally Posted by RockJack

Unfortunately, rightstuf removed both FMP! DVD Boxsets from ADV and i didnt get one yet
The complete set with both series is still available.
Old 06-19-09, 10:20 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '09

Is Stellvia worthing $45?
It's a good deal if restocked. The tin packaging with thinpaks was one of a kind packaging. And also if you enjoy space opera type of series.
Old 06-19-09, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by shawnek
The complete set with both series is still available.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that said complete set (the "Heavy Metal Collection" had been squashed down to only 6 DVDs, which will most certainly compromise video quality. Every previous release of the first series (FMP) had 7 discs, and Fumoffu had either 4 (original) or 3 (thinpack rerelease) so you can see where I'm going with this (10/11 >>>>> 6). You can still pick up the 7-disc release of the first series at other retailers (Amazon, DDD, etc.) or pick it up used (eBay, DVDTalk's Exchange Forum, etc.)

As for Stellvia, it's definately worth the $45.

Last edited by theguyoverthere; 06-19-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-19-09, 11:06 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that said complete set (the "Heavy Metal Collection" had been squashed down to only 6 DVDs, which will most certainly compromise video quality. Every previous release of the first series (FMP) had 7 discs, and Fumoffu had either 4 (original) or 3 (thinpack rerelease) so you can see where I'm going with this (10/11 >>>>> 6). You can still pick up the 7-disc release of the first series at other retailers (Amazon, DDD, etc.) or pick it up used.
The disc count is definitely reduced. I don't about the video quality. All extras from the first/original series were stripped. It's not a thinpak release either. It's the STACKpak packaging.
Old 06-19-09, 11:12 AM

Yet another strike against the "Heavy Metal Collection" then.

/STACKpak = FAILpak
Old 06-19-09, 12:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that said complete set (the "Heavy Metal Collection" had been squashed down to only 6 DVDs, which will most certainly compromise video quality. Every previous release of the first series (FMP) had 7 discs, and Fumoffu had either 4 (original) or 3 (thinpack rerelease) so you can see where I'm going with this (10/11 >>>>> 6). You can still pick up the 7-disc release of the first series at other retailers (Amazon, DDD, etc.) or pick it up used (eBay, DVDTalk's Exchange Forum, etc.)

As for Stellvia, it's definately worth the $45.
you gotta remember though that the original 7 disc release of FMP were all Single layer discs. The new ones have 0 special features and are all Dual Layer discs, that means 3 to 4 discs can fit the same amount of data that the 7 dual layer discs did. Same thing for FMP FUMO, 4 single layer discs with extras can be put on 2 Dual layer discs just fine without any compression.
Old 06-19-09, 12:45 PM

I can't believe the price of Last Exile went down. I just bought all 6 singles and spent $12 more than I could have saved and spent on something else. Oh Bargain Bin why do you break my heart so?
Old 06-19-09, 04:50 PM

Well i dont like the "Stack-Packing" either. I think its cheaper for the anime production companys to design a "Cover Paper" and put it into the Stack-Pack, just add the DVDs into it, finished!.

Its pretty bad that this Stack-Packing is so unpopular but i really dont know where i can put the dvds when i want to check the last disc on the buttom.

I love the "old" Artboxes with the thin- or normal dvd cases with 1/2DVDs in it.

And whats anime without extras? This gives the "special feature" like behind-the-scenes, bloopers or trailers. Without it, something important is missing.

Just my opinion about it.
Old 06-19-09, 05:13 PM

It's just a sign of the times. Cheaper material for the boxes, less data on the discs is faster and easier to manufacture, everything adds up to faster and cheaper releases. Its what companies have to do to maintain their bottom line.
Old 06-19-09, 05:46 PM
Cool New Member

Well i dont like the "Stack-Packing" either. I think its cheaper for the anime production companys to design a "Cover Paper" and put it into the Stack-Pack, just add the DVDs into it, finished!.

Its pretty bad that this Stack-Packing is so unpopular but i really dont know where i can put the dvds when i want to check the last disc on the buttom.

I love the "old" Artboxes with the thin- or normal dvd cases with 1/2DVDs in it.

And whats anime without extras? This gives the "special feature" like behind-the-scenes, bloopers or trailers. Without it, something important is missing.

Just my opinion about it.

These series have been out for about five years. By then you gotta figure everyone who wants extras and decent packaging had found the series, so the goal became to consolidate the thing and put it out as cheap on as little shelf space as possible. Why? Because the retail market is saturated with more of this stuff than they want to be. So this is their last ditch so that the most casual would finally bite, or that there'd be shelf presence so that a few fresh faces would "discover" the show. Makes perfect sense actually.

ADV's scheme has always been to remove the extras to entice more people into buying singles. For like the past several years. Pretty simple, but works. Even as an early pre collection adopter for at least several years of anime, I never watched the extras myself, so slowly I've weened myself toward holding out for collections. But by then I already owned a ridiculous amount of series and never bothered rewatching them.

Last edited by bertobarto; 06-19-09 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 06:45 PM

Its hard for me to believe anyone casually buys Anime. Its too much of a niche hobby. The average person considers Anime nothing more than cartoons.

Extras? I could careless about extras. I just like the old artboxes which makes me feel like its a collectible, as well as, the wonderful artwork. Its pretty sad when you open a package now and careless ripping off the plastic can damage these cheap paper thin cardboard boxes. Its the wrong direction if you ask me. The artboxes is what helped makes the genre stand out.

You can't attract people in stores with artboxes that have 1/2 inch wide spines and expect someone who has never bought Anime in any real amount to spend even 5 seconds scanning the shelf let alone someone who never has.
Old 06-20-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wish the extras on anime dvds these days were more like the Berserk bloopers..holyyy crap some of the most hilarious bloopers i've ever seen on an anime dvd
Old 06-20-09, 07:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
i wish the extras on anime dvds these days were more like the Berserk bloopers..holyyy crap some of the most hilarious bloopers i've ever seen on an anime dvd
The Rurouni Kenshin bloopers were also hilarious; I do miss those too.
Old 06-21-09, 09:06 AM
WTK

Upcoming FYE / Suncoast Backstage Pass Coupons

Old 06-21-09, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
Amen to that! Those were funnier than any anime comedy I've seen.

BTW the Gankutsuou boxset seems like a hell of a deal at $32. Love the artwork in this series.

Last edited by Digital Saint; 06-21-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 06:43 PM

I have a small question about these "Saving Bundles" at rightstuf.com

There is no "counter" for how many DVD Box sets are still in stock (if you look at Utawarerumono, there arent many DVD Boxes with DVD 2 left) or are the "Saving Bundles" not part of the regular sale?

I mean, does rightstuf "removes" 1 item from all Utawarerumono DVDs if i am buying the "Savings Bundle" or is the "Savings Bundle" still aviable for purchase if one DVD is sold out?

I hope you can understand my question
Old 06-21-09, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

I have a small question about these "Saving Bundles" at rightstuf.com

There is no "counter" for how many DVD Box sets are still in stock (if you look at Utawarerumono, there arent many DVD Boxes with DVD 2 left) or are the "Saving Bundles" not part of the regular sale?

I mean, does rightstuf "removes" 1 item from all Utawarerumono DVDs if i am buying the "Savings Bundle" or is the "Savings Bundle" still aviable for purchase if one DVD is sold out?

I hope you can understand my question
As far as I can tell the bundles are separate items from the individual DVDs. I'm guessing RightStuf set a certain number of complete bundles aside, and then put all of the leftovers in the bargain bin. So if you buy a bundle it'll have the box and all the DVDs, even if some of the individual DVDs are sold out. As I recall, the Shingu bundle they used to have was available for purchase even after a couple of the singles were missing from the bargain bin.
Old 06-22-09, 10:25 AM
WTK

Get’em Before They’re Gone! @ RightStuf.com

Get great deals on series, movies, OVAs and more from Central Park Media, Software Sculptors and Anime 18, including Patlabor, Black Jack, Animation Runner Kuromi, Alien Nine, Votoms and many more out-of-print and soon-to-disappear fan favorites! Shop early for the best selection, though: Quantities are limited, and when a title is gone, it may not be available ever again – especially at these prices!

From now through June 25, take 40% OFF the retail prices of titles* from Central Park Media! (Quantities are limited on ALL items, so when they’re gone, they’re gone!)

How? Just use the following reusable coupon code when you check out through RightStuf.com:

Coupon Code: cpmsale
Expires: June 25, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. CDT

REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 46% OFF the MSRP on all titles* from Central Park Media. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the “Get'em Before They’re Gone” graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the Central Park Media items we have in stock! (Please note: Bargain Bin, Weekly Special and Closeout items are not eligible for this sale because they’re already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)

Last edited by WTK; 06-22-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 11:15 PM
WTK

TWEC (FYE, Suncoast,...) Promo Recap (B&M / YMMV)

Anime Blowout Sale
  • Baki the Grappler (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Baldr Force EXE: $9.99
  • Basilisk (select Reg / VC Reg): $7.99 each / select LEs: $9.99 each / Original Boxset: $35.99
  • Black Blood Brothers (select singles): $9.99 each / Vol.1 w/Artbox: $14.99
  • Black Cat (select singles): $9.99 each / Vol.1 w/Artbox: $14.99
  • Black Lagoon (select singles): $9.99 each / Vol.1 LE (SteelBook): $14.99
  • Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage (select singles): $9.99 each / Vol.1 LE (SteelBook): $14.99
  • BECK (select singles): $9.99 each
  • BECK: Complete Collection: $29.99
  • Burst Angel Boxset (Original): $35.99
  • Burst Angel (OVA): $7.99
  • Case Closed (select singles): $7.99 each / select movies: $9.99 each
  • Claymore, Vol.1 w/Artbox: $14.99
  • Death Note (LEs), Vol.2 - 7, 9: $19.99 each / Vol.8 LE: $14.99
  • Desert Punk: Complete Collection (Tin): $31.99
  • Devil May Cry (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie Double Feature: $7.99 (select)
  • Fruits Basket (select singles): $7.99 each
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (select VC Reg / Vol.1 with Manga): $7.99 each
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Equivalent Exchange Set 1 (Vol1 & 2 + Manga Vol.1): $9.99
  • Glass Fleet (select singles): $9.99 each
  • GTO: Boxset 1: $19.99
  • GTO: Boxset 2: $19.99
  • Gunslinger Girls (select VC Reg): $5.99 each
  • Hell Girl (select singles): $9.99 each / Vol.1 w/Artbox: $14.99
  • Initial D: Season 1 Boxset: $29.99
  • Karin (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Kyo Kara Maoh! Season 2 (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Mushi-Shi (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Negima! (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Negima! (select VC Reg): $7.99 each
  • One Piece Movie 8 (DVD): $9.99
  • Pumpkin Scissors: Complete Collection, Part 1: $24.99
  • Pumpkin Scissors: Complete Collection, Part 2: $24.99
  • Ragnarok: The Animation (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Rumbling Hearts: Complete Collection: $19.99
  • Samurai 7 (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Samurai 7 (select VC Reg): $7.99 each
  • School Rumble (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Shaming King (select singles): $7.99 each
  • Shin-Chan: Season 1, Part 1: $14.99
  • Shin-Chan: Season 1, Part 2: $14.99
  • Shonen Onmyouji (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Tenchi Muyo! GXP (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Trinity Blood (select Reg / LE): $9.99 each
  • Trinity Blood (select VC Reg): $7.99 each
  • Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE (select singles): $9.99 each
  • Vexille (Reg): $9.99
  • Voltron - Defender of the Universe Boxset 7: $14.99
  • Witchblade (select singles): $9.99 each
  • xxxHOLiC (select singles): $9.99 each / Vol.1 w/Artbox: $14.99

Other Promos
  • Save Up to 50% off on Select Geneon Titles (mostly older catalog singles)
  • 20% More For Your Trade-in (DVDs, CDs & Video Games) from promo paper bag
Old 06-23-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

You can add the Rozen Maiden Traumend singles to the list for $9.99 each. I'm not sure if the first season of Rozen is on sale or not.
Old 06-23-09, 01:23 PM
WTK

More possible $3 to get from Big Lots (from AoD...)

Baldr Force EXE
Black Blood Brothers vols. 2 and 3
Hell Girl vol. 5
Trinity Blood vol. 4
XXXHolic vol. 1
Glass Fleet vol. 4
School Rumble vol. 6
Negima! vols. 3 and 4
Old 06-23-09, 01:25 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

You can add the Rozen Maiden Traumend singles to the list for $9.99 each. I'm not sure if the first season of Rozen is on sale or not.
The only Geneon titles that I saw on sale were the ones distributed by FUNimation. It should be the case for Rozen Maiden: Träumend.
Old 06-23-09, 03:53 PM
WTK

SecondSpin.com

HEYNOW - 20% off your purchase + Free S/H
Expires: 6/28/09

For those are having problems: try this LINK

Last edited by WTK; 06-23-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 06:03 PM
WTK

TRSI Bargain Bin Update
Old 06-23-09, 10:53 PM
Tap

Originally Posted by WTK
More possible $3 to get from Big Lots (from AoD...)
The master list of anime in post 4 of the Big Lots thread hasn't been updated lately, but post 160 on page 7 should have most of the recent finds. (I'd post a link, but I'm still shy of the 30 post min.) It's been a couple weeks though, so stocks are pretty picked over. All four volumes of Flag, lots of Gundam Seed Destiny, a few Eureka 7, several OVAs, etc.

Edit: That Samurai Champloo combo didn't last long .

Last edited by Tap; 06-23-09 at 10:58 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.