DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
At almost every store in Austin, TX the $3 double features have been in a separate isle display or near the front of the store so location has not necessarily been obvious.
Same here. The display was a large cardboard one near the registers at the front of the store.
Old 06-08-11, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to 2 Central Ohio Wal-Marts and have found cardboard displays of the new TRUE GRIT remake along with other classic Paramount western titles for $7.50 each.

I've seen the original TRUE GRIT along with THE SHOOTIST, BIG JAKE, LAST TRAIN TO GUN HILL, SHANE, RUSTLERS RHAPSODY and the single disc release of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST among others.
Some of these have shown up at Big Lots in the past at $3 a pop. So, $7.50 may be a bit high...but I was happy to pay $7.50 each for the 2-disc Centennial Collection versions of EL DORADO and THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE.
Old 06-08-11, 07:00 PM

I'll definitely be on the lookout for Shane, since it appears to be out of print and somewhat rare.
Old 06-19-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picked up Rocky SE for $4.00, since the sets and (I think) the Blu-rays do not contain the special features.
Old 06-19-11, 11:22 PM

Anybody had luck returning $5 videos without a receipt? How about an expired receipt? WIll they give me store credit?
Old 06-19-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Anybody had luck returning $5 videos without a receipt? How about an expired receipt? WIll they give me store credit?
Depending on how you paid they can look it up by credit card iirc. Walmart is known for liberal return policy.
Old 06-24-11, 09:31 AM

Was at a Wal-Mart in Lexington and they had a cardboard display at the front of the store with $5 Mill Creek blu-rays. Have checked a couple other Wal-marts closer to me and found no display. Some of the titles I remember seeing:

Another Stakeout
Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
Betsy's Wedding
Consenting Adults
Ernest Goes To Camp
Ernest Goes To Jail
Ernest Scared Stupid
The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag
Money For Nothing
Scenes From A Mall
Straight Talk
War At Home

I know they had more titles but these are the one I know for sure they had from this list http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?pub...F*rgn_us*med_b
Old 06-24-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
should be no problem. If you have the receipt (even expired), they may actually give you cash or do a CC return. YMMV.
Old 06-24-11, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
should be no problem. If you have the receipt (even expired), they may actually give you cash or do a CC return. YMMV.
Years ago I tried to return stuff with an expired receipt, and each time I was told no. One time a nicer lady whispered to me that I should come back later without a receipt and I'd have better luck. Without a receipt it's limit $50 per year 3 times per year and only for stuff that is currently in their inventory which means if it's older than 6 months you're probably stuck with it since Walmart's inventory turnover is high. Just my past experience. YMMV.
Old 06-24-11, 01:03 PM

Good to hear, cause I just bought some more $5 vids and found an old copy of the $7.50 "Footloose Special Edition" in the bin along with "Benny & Joon", "Dragonheart: 2 Legendary Tales - The Franchise Collection", "Popeye" "Tommy Boy - Holy Schnike Edition" and "the Shining" which I'd never seen before and "Hoosiers" for $4.

Also found a copy of "Repossessed" and "Crocodile Dundee" in the bin, but since I didn't hold them to think about it they got lost in the bins like a swimmer in a rip tide. How does that happen? I spent way too much time trying to find them again and gave up.
Old 06-25-11, 11:19 AM
CVB

I got this today in Orlando....

Midnight Horror Collection 8 Movie Pack - $5.00 ( found on the $10.00 display ).

The 8 movies are on 2 single sided discs ( 4 films per disc )

Contains the following films...

DISC ONE
"Evil Bong" ( the title speaks for itself.. ha-ha-ha... ) in WIDEscreen

"Demonic Toys" ( cheesy goodness... or badness, take your pick ) in FULLscreen

"Meridian" ( Sherilyn Fenn, worth the price of admission.. ha-ha-ha.. ) in FULLscreen

"Decadent Evil" in WIDEscreen

DISC TWO
"Prom Night" ( Jamie Lee Curtis and Leslie Nielsen ) in FULLscreen NOT widescreen as stated on back of package. However, I don't care since the set has a really low price, and it's not a movie I love.

"Below" ( Darren Aronofsky listed as one of the writers ) in WIDEscreen

"I Am Omega" in WIDEscreen

"Legend Of Sorrow Creek" in FULLscreen
Old 06-25-11, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by CVB
I got this today in Orlando....

Midnight Horror Collection 8 Movie Pack - $5.00 ( found on the $10.00 display ).
Hope I can find this in Austin, TX... although it's disappointing to see so many fullscreen (hopefully that's the OAR but too lazy to research now).

Originally Posted by CVB
..."Below" ( Darren Aronofsky listed as one of the writers ) in WIDEscreen...
Below is a really good movie; worth the price for that one alone.
Old 07-15-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure if it's been mentioned (it probably has) but I picked up the two-disc edition of Star Trek (2009) for $4.50 today.
Old 07-15-11, 08:04 PM

@Popcornbandit
What state did u find 2-disc "Star Trek" 2009 in for so cheap? Did it have the slipcover?
Old 07-16-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tom523
@Popcornbandit
What state did u find 2-disc "Star Trek" 2009 in for so cheap? Did it have the slipcover?
It did have the slipcover. I found it on an endcap with some other DVD's that were on clearance. I'm assuming they were just trying to get rid of excess stock. They had a ton of copies (all with slipcovers) so I just picked the best looking one. The majority of them were in excellent condition. The only other two DVD's on the clearance endcap were The Ex, which was $2.50 and the single-disc Star Trek for $5.50. Not sure why it was more expensive than the two-discer.
Old 07-16-11, 07:01 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I remember someone else reported that they found a 2-Disc of Star Trek on an endcap at their local Walmart for really cheap several months ago, I looked at all of our local Walmarts for a deal like that and never found one. I think you guys must have all the luck when it comes to finding deals like this because the people at the Walmarts around here just look at you funny when you ask them about it, like 'Why would we do something like that???'

I finally ended up picking up the single disc edition at Best Buy when they had it on sale for really cheap because our Walmarts never put anything on sale anymore. -kd5-
Old 07-16-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

All the Wal-Marts near me have had a big endcap of "Star Trek" ever since it came out- figured they were gonna have to clearance them eventually. Last time I checked they were still $21.99.
Old 07-16-11, 10:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen two local Wal-marts that clearanced both versions of Star Trek and the Wal-mart exclusive Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. They must be stuck with them and not be able to return them to the distributor.
Old 07-22-11, 11:49 PM

I don't understand why my local Walmart hasn't marked down the 2-disc Star Trek yet. They have like 30 copies that have been sitting there forever. They just aren't selling at $19.96.
Old 07-23-11, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
I don't understand why my local Walmart hasn't marked down the 2-disc Star Trek yet. They have like 30 copies that have been sitting there forever. They just aren't selling at $19.96.
Same here; I also saw a stockpile of Stark Trek 2-disc at Sam's Club (which made me wondering if Walmart didn't just rotate stock between stores).
Old 07-27-11, 09:10 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Per DVD Price Search the OP Warner Hitchcock signature collection is about $30
with free ship to store shipping. Instead of shipping to a Wal Mart store you can ship to a local Fed Ex location ( much better than shipping to Wal Mart).

Films are

* Dial M for Murder
* Foreign Correspondent
* Suspicion
* The Wrong Man
* Stage Fright
* I Confess
* Mr. and Mrs. Smith
* Strangers On A Train: 2-Disc cSpecial Edition
* North By Northwest: Special Edition (old version)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3209047

Sold out now so deal is dead. I bought this on Monday and it was available for pick up at Fed Ex on Tuesday. I am very pleased with the speed of site to store using Fed Ex. I hope this speed is the usual and not the exception. I will use Fed Ex for Walmart pick ups from now on.

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-28-11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 12:15 AM

My Walmart's bargain bin is a joke.
They just piled up more dvds into it and it's so high now that it's a good foot or two above the edge. So now you can't even did through it to see if there is anything good without the pile falling onto the floor.

I did see some Paramount titles in there like Crocodile Dundee and Love Story.

Also saw a huge display of those Mill Creek 50 movie packs for $10 each. Ranging from Combat to Family to Sci-Fi movies.
Old 08-01-11, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Sold out now so deal is dead.
Grrr, wish you'd posted this sooner...or that Wal-Mart had more inventory.
Old 08-01-11, 12:56 AM
Cool New Member

Went to Wal-Mart a couple days ago and I saw:

- The Strangers
- The Shining (1 disc)
- Mortal Kombat
- The Italian Job (Wahlberg)
Old 08-01-11, 08:33 AM

I found a copy of The Big Red One, a WWII movie directed by Samuel Fuller and starring Lee Marvin. I know nothing about it, but the case mentioned that it had been featured at Cannes in 1980 and this copy is a reconstruction to add about 40 minutes of footage. Apparently, the movie is held in good regard. With Fuller and Marvin involved, I figured the disc was worth a $5.00 blind buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.