Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner's "Red2Blu" Plan - $4.95 to switch HD DVD to Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner's "Red2Blu" Plan - $4.95 to switch HD DVD to Blu-ray

Originally Posted by pmreed
I don't even charge for shipping anymore; I make all my normal auctions ship for free, and just roll normal shipping charges into the starting price.
Kudos to you! This is what all sellers should have been doing in the first place, instead of putting a dirt cheap price on the item and making people think they were getting a deal, and then slamming them with a $10 shipping fee for a single item that weighed less than a pound. With your method, people think they're saving because, "Oh, free shipping!", and you're not losing money. I was an eBay seller for a couple of years and whenever I miscalculated shipping, I'd always put the couple dollars extra my buyer had paid in the package with their item. If you're gonna make money, be fair about it and make money on the actual item, not via inflated/dishonest shipping prices.

Originally Posted by abintra
If you haven't already, check your spam folder.
Thanks, found mind as well. Didn't look in the server-based SPAM folder. Soon as the HD-DVDs arrive, out comes the art, and off it goes!
Old 04-26-09, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nugent
It's $3 per DVD. Or in this case he is selling as a lot with only one listing and the amount eBay will allow is still a whole $3.

I sold my complete Seinfeld series in the individual season packages and was allowed to charge a whopping $3 to ship all of them.
Add your shipping charge into your asking price, choose free shipping. Problem solved.

If this doesnt work for you, you are probably asking more than the going rate.

LOL I just saw I'm like the 10th person to say the same thing...

Last edited by blucadet3; 04-26-09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-26-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kk725
Kudos to you! This is what all sellers should have been doing in the first place, instead of putting a dirt cheap price on the item and making people think they were getting a deal, and then slamming them with a $10 shipping fee for a single item that weighed less than a pound. With your method, people think they're saving because, "Oh, free shipping!", and you're not losing money. I was an eBay seller for a couple of years and whenever I miscalculated shipping, I'd always put the couple dollars extra my buyer had paid in the package with their item. If you're gonna make money, be fair about it and make money on the actual item, not via inflated/dishonest shipping prices.
While your example is exaggerated ($10 for shipping), eBay, Amazon and Half do not take into account large sets (like the complete "Buffy", Seinfeld, etc) and still madate 3.00 charge for those. If you offer free shipping, you are paying ebay an extra .36-.45 PER auction. This really adds up when the margin is so low anyway and the sales are not that great. I only offer free shipping on large sets.

Back to the topic, the only HD DVD I was thinking of upgrading was the Matrix, but with the price hikes, I'll probably pass ... This sounds OK, but I think I might get it for around the cost of the set eventually.
Old 04-27-09, 01:47 PM

I turned in my order last week.

Blu-ray Item Price
300 (BD) $4.95
Alexander Revisited: (Unrated) Final Cut, The (Dbl BD) $4.95
Departed, The (BD) $4.95
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (BD) $4.95
Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix (BD) $4.95
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (BD) $4.95
Last Samurai, The (BD) $4.95
Ocean's Eleven (2001), Twelve & Thirteen Giftset (BD) $9.95
Polar Express (BD) $4.95
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (BD) $4.95
Ultimate Matrix Collection, The (BD) $14.95
Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition (BD) $4.95
Subtotal $74.40
Tax $3.25
Shipping $6.95
Total $84.60

Worth it to me for when my HD player dies. Worst case is I can recoup some of my $$ via ebay.
Old 04-27-09, 02:45 PM

I just called red2blu 800 number because I didn't see it discussed here. I needed to know if I had to go 25 all at once and they said NO, however, they did say they were told to accept 10 per batch although the website doesn't say one way or another.

Last edited by mw390; 04-27-09 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by johngalt83
I have the Ocean's box set, but there doesn't seem to be a upc on the box anywhere. Are you supposed to write it on the flattened box? I'd like to upgrade the set instead of paying for all three. Any help is appreciated.
The UPC code is on the slipcover that goes over the box itself. I think this is what WB wants you to send in.
Old 04-27-09, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by pmreed
I don't even charge for shipping anymore; I make all my normal auctions ship for free, and just roll normal shipping charges into the starting price.
Originally Posted by kk725
Just to add my $.02, as a bidder, when I make a bid, I always consider the shipping charge as part of my bid. So if I'm going to pay $25 for something, and the listed shipping charge is $5, my max bid is $20. If shipping is $3, I bid $22.

The purpose of eBay limiting the shipping costs is to ensure they can get their proper selling fee. Shipping was always shielded from what eBay would charge when the auction ends. As a business, I can't fault them when so many people figured this out and used the shipping costs to avoid paying the full selling fee. I'm just surprised it took them this long to limit it.
Old 04-27-09, 03:44 PM

Well eBay found ways to screw over their sellers...who in a sense are their bosses since WE pay them. First screwing around with how the search results are displayed, then this stupid shipping cap.

Let me just tell you how I have done my auctions...not on DVDs but on tickets for sporting events. In order to come up with my shipping and HANDLING fee, I used to take what was my cost to ship and added in the cost of fees between eBay and their bastard sister PayPal. Of course you don't always know what the fees will be but I usually just figured the fees off of the minimum I wanted for the tickets...and if it went over that, I was more than happy to hand over the extra money. Lately I have found eBay's automatic excessive shipping calculator full of shit. For example, it costs me roughly $18 and change to ship FEDEX overnight. I put in $20 and it comes up with a warning message that they feel it's excessive. It makes me want to reach across the internet, grab them by the neck, and ask 'hey dumbasses, every heard of the costs of taking the package to the dropoff point?'.

On another note regarding eBay...I'd LOVE to know how their butts aren't in front of Congress right now explaining why their requirement that you use PayPal ISN'T an anti-trust violation. I mean they are flat out nuts...when you factor in the fees, it's over 10% of your sale. For me the only alternative has been StubHub but they've sold out to sleezeBay as well.
Old 04-27-09, 03:46 PM

Maybe they are raising rates to discourage us and (esspecially the lowlifes at) FW/SD from buying the HD-DVD sets of the Matrix online rather than the BR sets.
Old 04-27-09, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
Well eBay found ways to screw over their sellers...who in a sense are their bosses since WE pay them. First screwing around with how the search results are displayed, then this stupid shipping cap.

Let me just tell you how I have done my auctions...not on DVDs but on tickets for sporting events. In order to come up with my shipping and HANDLING fee, I used to take what was my cost to ship and added in the cost of fees between eBay and their bastard sister PayPal. Of course you don't always know what the fees will be but I usually just figured the fees off of the minimum I wanted for the tickets...and if it went over that, I was more than happy to hand over the extra money. Lately I have found eBay's automatic excessive shipping calculator full of shit. For example, it costs me roughly $18 and change to ship FEDEX overnight. I put in $20 and it comes up with a warning message that they feel it's excessive. It makes me want to reach across the internet, grab them by the neck, and ask 'hey dumbasses, every heard of the costs of taking the package to the dropoff point?'.

On another note regarding eBay...I'd LOVE to know how their butts aren't in front of Congress right now explaining why their requirement that you use PayPal ISN'T an anti-trust violation. I mean they are flat out nuts...when you factor in the fees, it's over 10% of your sale. For me the only alternative has been StubHub but they've sold out to sleezeBay as well.
and you are selling tix at face value, right?
Old 04-28-09, 02:45 PM

Anyone else think it would be beneficial to create a list of titles that would be actual upgrades from the current HD-DVD. From most of what I have read then there really aren't changes in PQ on most, but it seems that there may be audio and bonus feature advantages.

I mean I have the obvious choices :

Matrix Complete/Ultimate - 1080p version of the Animatrix
Matrix - Digibook Collector's item, additional bonus features, upgrade in sound
Casablanca - Ultimate Collector's Edition with all bonus items/features

It was stated that some of the Harry Potter have additional bonus features.

Perhaps we could also mark the changes from a Combo disc to a single disc.
Old 04-28-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Corihor1
Anyone else think it would be beneficial to create a list of titles that would be actual upgrades from the current HD-DVD. From most of what I have read then there really aren't changes in PQ on most, but it seems that there may be audio and bonus feature advantages.

Matrix Complete/Ultimate - 1080p version of the Animatrix
Casablanca - Ultimate Collector's Edition with all bonus items/features

It was stated that some of the Harry Potter have additional bonus features.

Perhaps we could also mark the changes from a Combo disc to a single disc.

Check out Post #139, in the other thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/553...program-6.html
Old 04-28-09, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by clappj

Heh. Didn't even think to check in the HD forum. Thanks for the notice.
Old 04-28-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Corihor1

There are no additional bonus features on the Blu-ray of The Matrix compared to the HD DVD, they just all happen to be on the same side of the disc (as the HD DVD was a combo).....
Also, there is no upgrade in the sound, as the HD DVD also had a lossless Dolby True HD track....
The ONLY differences are the digibook packaging and a one sided disc......same exact transfer, same audio, same special features....
Old 04-28-09, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
There are no additional bonus features on the Blu-ray of The Matrix compared to the HD DVD, they just all happen to be on the same side of the disc (as the HD DVD was a combo).....
Also, there is no upgrade in the sound, as the HD DVD also had a lossless Dolby True HD track....
The ONLY differences are the digibook packaging and a one sided disc......same exact transfer, same audio, same special features....
Wrong. The Matrix Blu-ray has increased, extreme Bitrates which obviously means it will look better.
Old 04-28-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Whoa.
Old 04-28-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Wrong. The Matrix Blu-ray has increased, extreme Bitrates which obviously means it will look better.
You are missing the "" in your post, or else some people might actually take it seriously!
Old 04-28-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj

A better link would be this link.
Old 07-22-09, 04:19 PM

Did anyone else get an email telling them that their order for Casablanca could not be fulfilled because they couldn't get any more of the CE? They said they'd send the single disc edition instead, which is fine by me since that's all I wanted to begin with, except I've read that the single disc edition is missing a documentary that the CE has.

If it's true I'm getting a disc that is missing the doc, I won't be happy.
Old 07-22-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blokhed
Did anyone else get an email telling them that their order for Casablanca could not be fulfilled because they couldn't get any more of the CE? They said they'd send the single disc edition instead, which is fine by me since that's all I wanted to begin with, except I've read that the single disc edition is missing a documentary that the CE has.

I did and I'm rather pissed. I already had the single disc version from France and I included Casablanca in my order only to get the collectors edition.

Dear [movielib],

Thank you for your order from Red2Blu.com and for sending in your cover art.

Unfortunately, we had hoped to give you the CASABLANCA COLLECTORS EDITION, but we have run out of stock of these limited edition Blu-ray titles and we do not expect to receive more inventory in time to fulfill your order. We have removed this item from your order.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Accordingly, we will include a complimentary CASABLANCA Blu-ray disc with your order. As we have rushed to have these new Blu-ray discs prepared and sent to you as an apology, the Blu-ray will not be shrink-wrapped.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies. We will notify you when your order ships. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you.

Regards,

WBshop.com, the site that brought you Red2Blu [email protected]
1-866-276-6176
Are they saying we won't be charged for it including shipping (I failed to get my order split for free)? If so, it isn't that bad and I'll sell the one they send me. But too bad I can't say it has factory shrink wrap since they aren't doing that (for us, of course, to save time - as if, after the three month wait, we couldn't wait for them to shrink wrap the stupid thing; all of a sudden time is important).

Talk about turning a good thing into a disaster. Way to go, WB!

Last edited by movielib; 07-22-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From a poster at Blu-ray.com (Post #368):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=96148&page=19

Just got off the phone with red2blu CSR. She said the e-mail is worded very poorly. We are still getting the Casablanca UE, it will just not be shrink wrapped. They expect the orders to be out by the end of the week.
If so, the email isn't just poorly worded. It's completely wrong. I do hope this new information is correct.
Old 07-22-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems like I have been told end of the week for awhile now...
Old 07-22-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blokhed

The Ultimate Collector's Edition comes with two discs. The movie is on disc one with all the extras from the HD DVD. The second disc, a SD DVD, added a new doc on Jack Warner not on the HD DVD. One last slap in the face to Hal Wallis, the real shaper of this movie.
Old 07-23-09, 10:56 AM

The CS rep who emailed me back said we're still getting the 2nd disc. So that's good news.