Old 02-20-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon UK Box Set Bargains

Originally Posted by golf86
*Superbad [Blu-ray] [2007] $7.50
*Closer [Blu-ray] [2004] $7.50
*Hostel [Blu-ray] [2005] $7.50

*Blu-ray was buy 2 get 1 free, so I pro-rated the price of those.
You sure those are region free? I tried checking a few sites, but Superbad and Hostel didn't show as region free... I couldn't find info on Closer...
Old 02-21-09, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Hodson
No, there are significant differences in extras and the transfers; check out the Hitchcock Wiki.
Ugh, I knew I should have dug deeper into it. Thanks for the heads up, I am really disappointed in the purchase now. (and myself)
Old 02-21-09, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You sure those are region free? I tried checking a few sites, but Superbad and Hostel didn't show as region free... I couldn't find info on Closer...
Those 3 are region free, but HOSTEL has no extras on the UK disc
Old 02-21-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the Sirk set. Almost ordered the Hitchcock, but when I read John's post I didn't (thanks, John).

There are two great comedy series that are also part of the sale: BLACK BOOKS and SPACED about 10 GBP each, much cheaper than the region 1 versions.
Old 02-23-09, 03:04 PM
Cool New Member

I ordered last week and it shipped by Deutsche Post World Net. I have no idea what the hell this is. Is this different that airmail?
Old 02-23-09, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by stupiddimbulb
I ordered last week and it shipped by Deutsche Post World Net. I have no idea what the hell this is. Is this different that airmail?
It seems to take a few days longer than Royal Mail.
Old 02-23-09, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by stupiddimbulb
This is my first experience with Deutsche Post World Net as well, and it seems to be taking longer than usual to get here.

It looks like it's somehow related to DHL, and I figured out that I can get more detailed shipping information by going here, clicking on Track & Trace Standard, and entering your tracking number.

It provides more information than the Amazon.co.uk website... but not much more...
Old 02-23-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are you guys finding a tracking number? I chose "air mail" (cheapest option) and I don't see any tracking number, just an order number. Even my last 2 orders that I received weeks ago don't yet say "delivered".
Old 02-23-09, 07:00 PM
FSA

My package was shipped the same way, and it's already a week past the delivery date posted on Amazon's site. No response to my inquiries either.
Old 02-23-09, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I ordered the Sirk set. Almost ordered the Hitchcock, but when I read John's post I didn't (thanks, John).

There are two great comedy series that are also part of the sale: BLACK BOOKS and SPACED about 10 GBP each, much cheaper than the region 1 versions.
While I would recommend Spaced to anyone, the R1 set has added bonus features/commentaries. Black Books is also one of my favorite British shows well worth it for the price.
Old 02-23-09, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

I must have gotten lucky. I placed my order last Wednesday (2/18/09), it shipped via UPS last Friday (2/20/09), and arrived today (2/23/09). Everything in great shape in one large, heavy box.
Old 02-23-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaza
While I would recommend Spaced to anyone, the R1 set has added bonus features/commentaries. Black Books is also one of my favorite British shows well worth it for the price.
The R2 version on sale is the 3 disc "Definitive Collectors Edition" which should have all the bonus features and commentaries. Are you saying the R1 version has even more than that?
Old 02-23-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
The R2 version on sale is the 3 disc "Definitive Collectors Edition" which should have all the bonus features and commentaries. Are you saying the R1 version has even more than that?
The R1 edition has extra commentaries featuring celebrity fans of the show such as Patton Oswalt, the writer of Juno, and the ubiquitous Quentin Tarentino. Other than that, I believe they are the same.
Old 02-23-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
and the ubiquitous Quentin Tarentino.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...You just said today's secret word. Everybody SCREAM!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
Old 02-23-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Preterite
The R1 edition has extra commentaries featuring celebrity fans of the show such as Patton Oswalt, the writer of Juno, and the ubiquitous Quentin Tarentino. Other than that, I believe they are the same.
Ahh. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 02-23-09, 11:07 PM

this sounds like a cool deal i wish they had it for usa people though .... they have some cool must haves in here
Old 02-25-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the Hellraiser box set. I have a region free DVD player but I'm a noob when it comes to this NTSC/PAL situation. Can someone briefly explain if this PAL box set will work correctly with my DVD player?
Old 02-26-09, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I'm thinking about getting the Hellraiser box set. I have a region free DVD player but I'm a noob when it comes to this NTSC/PAL situation. Can someone briefly explain if this PAL box set will work correctly with my DVD player?
I think most current hackable models will handle the translation automatically, as the reason they're hackable in the first place is to allow one plant to produce players for sale anywhere in the world. If in doubt, you can check your player at VideoHelp.com.
Old 02-26-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
If its region free you should be fine. If not you may have to hack it as the other poster said. Its easy too, just use the remote for the player. check out the site he mentioned
Old 02-26-09, 11:33 AM

Any idea if there are region hacks for blu ray players? Or any region-free blu players?
Old 02-26-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know why some DVD's get VAT backed out, and some do not? These are the items in my cart. When I check out, some get VAT backed out, and some stay the same price. I'll separate them to what has VAT backed out, and what does not:

VAT backed out:
Hellraiser 1-3 [4-disc Box Set] [DVD] [1987] £7.81

Phantasm [DVD] £9.63

Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] £23.46

Black Books Complete Box Set [DVD] £8.85

VAT NOT backed out:
Superbad [Blu-ray] [2007] £8.98

Almost Famous [Extended Edition] £9.98

Predator 2 [Blu-ray] £9.97

The Complete League Of Gentlemen [DVD] [1999] £14.98

The League Of Gentlemen's Apocalypse [DVD] £3.68
Old 02-26-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes the items on amazon UK are from "Amazon's Jersey Merchant, Indigostarfish.com." In these cases, there is no VAT, and thus no deduction for us.
Old 02-26-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
Sometimes the items on amazon UK are from "Amazon's Jersey Merchant, Indigostarfish.com." In these cases, there is no VAT, and thus no deduction for us.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I clicked the little "Why" link, and it confirms what you stated. But it also says:
"They can only be dispatched to locations within the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and all BFPO addresses) and the Channel Islands."

I assume they are not enforcing this, since it sounds like people have ordered some of these items in the US already...
Old 02-26-09, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_chance
Any idea if there are region hacks for blu ray players? Or any region-free blu players?

I'd love to hear of a hack for the Blu Ray region codes, but i've yet to hear of any. Only a few hacks that allow regular dvds to be region free on a Blu-Ray player, but not blu-rays themselves.

I'm sure it will happen eventually. There seems to be some region-free blu-ray players out there, but they have been modded by the seller I believe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.