Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Update Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw the new display in Palo Alto CA and picked up Gattaca, Cell and Majestic.
Old 11-20-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
Yep, largest WB/Newline stock I've ever seen at BL before. Looked like a Sony bin and was two rows high.
Hey Basaro, which Big Lots did you go to?
Old 11-20-08, 06:26 PM

Yep, largest WB/Newline stock I've ever seen at BL before. Looked like a Sony bin and was two rows high.

(won't be able to sort until tomorrow am, sorry jim...)
No prob basaro. I wasn't meaning to sound like I was whining about it. It's just that with the limited time that I'm here, it will make it dramatically easier to sort thru and submit (if necessary) lists of this size.
Small lists = easy. Ginormous lists = my head exploding.
Old 11-20-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Saw the new display in Palo Alto CA and picked up Gattaca, Cell and Majestic.
There's a Big Lots in Palo Alto? Where?
Old 11-20-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
Added Action and Booty. Capote was already there you silly wabbit.

Hey BobO'Link, are you suggesting that all the titles in your post AND the ones from post #15 are NOT on the list, and should be added to the Warner section ??? If so, I would like to kindly ask that when anyone has potential additions to the list, if you could have things alphabetized AND which section it belongs to, it would make things WAY easier.
Yes. I apologize for not sorting. Normally this is something I would do but I was a bit short on time when I did the post and mainly wanted to get the basic info out there. I'll do better next time.
Old 11-20-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
There's a Big Lots in Palo Alto? Where?
Ah shit. I was in Palo Alto for a job and stopped in at the Redwood City store on Broadway. My bad...
Old 11-20-08, 08:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cinemaphile
I HIGHLY recommend Torque to everyone! One of the best unintentionally hilasrious films of all time! A huge guilty pleasure of mine.
I watched this flick at a friend's house. Didn't think about it until he mentioned it. It's true; "Torque" is live action anime. The girl cycle fight is the perfect example.

And yes, it's part of my collection.

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-20-08 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 10:19 PM

After reading the news about the new Warner titles, I visited The Big Lots on Clairemont Mesa Blvd here in San Diego during my dinner break. Good thing I grabbed a basket because the Warner display was out in full force!!!

I picked up:

Network (SE)
East of Eden (SE}
Rebel Without A Cause (single disc)
The Exorcist (single disc)
The Wedding Singer (single disc)
Blade II (Platinum Edition, 2-disc)
Mighty Joe Young
Freddy Vs. Jason (Platinum Edition, 2-disc)
Dog Day Afternoon (single disc)

They also had a ton of those James Bond dvds that were reported earlier ... priced at $4 each.

Thanks to everyone for keeping us all updated on this most recent Big Lots score!
Old 11-20-08, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the extensive list of new films Basaro. I hate you Big Lots. Just when I've got myself out, you pull me back in.

I went running to the Redwood City store as soon as Basaro posted, and was able to pick up everything on his list that I wanted, mainly some of the older films ie Petrified Forest, Stage Coach, On the Town and some other musicals from early 30s-40s. Gigi and some of the other classics as well were there. I noticed that they had both the two disk and single disk copies of Network. I picked up the 2 disk version. I managed to get Shaft, Shafts Big Score and Shaft in Africa, to add to the collection and walked out of there with 26 DVDs in my cart. I'll sort through my loot tonight and if I picked up anything that Basaro missed (his list was wonderfully thorough) I'll post it.

Big Lots has reloaded, stampede, stampede.
Old 11-20-08, 10:29 PM

Almost forgot ... besides finding Superman Returns (FS) and the Look Up In The Sky documentary, I also found copies of Superman IV: The Quest For Peace (single disc, not the Special Edition) ... in case someone wanted to add that to the Big Lots Master List. Thanks!
Old 11-21-08, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up:

Rat
Arthur 2:On the Rocks
Old 11-21-08, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Hey Basaro, which Big Lots did you go to?
Nashua. If my post is on a Thursday, it's likely Nashua store.
Old 11-21-08, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
Added Action and Booty. Capote was already there you silly wabbit.
Capote is also it's own release so should be added to the list separate from the double feature already listed, it was listed in the previous thread, but never made it to the list.

Do you know/understand the massive undertaking you now have in updating this thread?

I think it was even too daunting for Autolycus to handle as he didn't seem to update it near the end (there are still titles from the old thread that are not in the list now, some being reiterated by people in this new thread). And it's also a bummer that we don't have his color formatting anymore either.

Seriously, this thread probably needs an update almost daily, look at the frequency of posts in the last thread in the 4 1/2 months it was alive! While I appreciate someone like yourself updating it, it won't really do anyone any good if it can't be maintained. Not calling you out, but are you sure you're up for it?!

And my post above is all sorted for you now...

Last edited by basaro; 11-21-08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-21-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I've picked up quite a few Christmas DVDs in the last week:

Cricket on the Hearth
A Christmas Carol: The Movie (animated)
Home for the Holidays
Felix the Cat Saves Christmas
Old 11-21-08, 02:15 PM

picked up East of Eden, PHiladelphia Story, Freddy V. Jason, Blade III, Superman doc and ... Mighty Joe Young (probably the one I was most excited to get -- though none of them were even shrinked wrapped). Was really bummed about the slash and will affect the many more I would have purchased had they not damaged the damn things!
Old 11-21-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got back from my local Big Lots. The new Warner assortment was unfortunately not there. They did have the new $2 assortment though. As everyone else has been reporting, it's the same old stuff mostly. I only came away with The Amityville Horror (remake) and Lift Stinks. I also saw a bunch more of those public domain triple features they've had lately, only they're tagged at $1 this time.
Old 11-21-08, 03:29 PM

Nothing new at two Dayton, OH stores I was at today(Airway/Woodman & Smithville rd). Just the same 'ol junk and no fancy DVD displays at all. I think any DVD displays are being pushed aside there for other kinds of Christmas item displays. I don't think I want any slashed UPC titles anyway. I bought one last summer from Big Lots, Psycho(Anne Heche), and it still stinks up my collection. Plus, to add insult to injury, Big Lots now sells it recently without the case damage. Maybe in a future wave these new titles will appear again but without the slashing?
Old 11-21-08, 03:31 PM

Nothing new at a Sacramento (Stockton Blvd) Big Lots today.
Old 11-21-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
They probably won't have the new ones out til next Friday. I went there in the morning last Thanksgiving after seeing a bunch of ads saying they'd have some good stuff then, but it was a waste of time. Went back the next day and the new stuff was out then.
Old 11-21-08, 04:45 PM

I bought Full Metal Alchemist 3,4 and 6 and was wondering if these were the only volumes available. I hate to partially buy if the entire series is not going to be availabe. Also what other anime is available and what volumes. This is not listed on the master list page.

I also saw Peach Girl v.2, Sumarai 7 v.6 and Beck Mongolian v.1
Old 11-21-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Must resist.... must stay away!

-beebs
Old 11-21-08, 08:17 PM

Bought:

The Boost (James Woods)
Species 3
HBO's White Mile (Alan Alda)
Old 11-21-08, 08:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I grabbed "Look! Up in the Sky!", THX-1138, Disclosure, and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Most of the titles worth having I already own. The ones I really want to find are the James Bond films, but they havent shown up at either of my local Big Lots yet
Old 11-21-08, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I bought Full Metal Alchemist 3,4 and 6 and was wondering if these were the only volumes available. I hate to partially buy if the entire series is not going to be availabe. Also what other anime is available and what volumes. This is not listed on the master list page.

I also saw Peach Girl v.2, Sumarai 7 v.6 and Beck Mongolian v.1
Not sure why anime is not listed, I've been posting everything I find, and have found many volumes of FMA, but not all. I'm still looking for 9 & 10 myself.

Best thing I can think of is to check out WTK's anime update thread for BL sightings as he often gets the titles from this thread, and/or also scan the older part 2 Big Lots thread, specifically for my posts because I know I always list all the anime I find, and there's been quite a bit.
Old 11-22-08, 10:26 AM

Capote is also it's own release so should be added to the list separate from the double feature already listed, it was listed in the previous thread, but never made it to the list.

Do you know/understand the massive undertaking you now have in updating this thread?

I think it was even too daunting for Autolycus to handle as he didn't seem to update it near the end (there are still titles from the old thread that are not in the list now, some being reiterated by people in this new thread). And it's also a bummer that we don't have his color formatting anymore either.

Seriously, this thread probably needs an update almost daily, look at the frequency of posts in the last thread in the 4 1/2 months it was alive! While I appreciate someone like yourself updating it, it won't really do anyone any good if it can't be maintained. Not calling you out, but are you sure you're up for it?!

And my post above is all sorted for you now...
All new additions from the previous page are now added to the list. Thanks basaro for your help, that made it much easier to transfer them over. I wish I knew how to do the color format thing to make it more convenient for everyone, but sorry I don't. Someone with more computer skills than my own is very welcome to have a go at it.

As far as updating. As long as lists are in order, and the company that released them (Sony, HBO, Warner, etc) provided, I'll have them up as soon as I can. Basaro's mega list only took me a couple of days to get too. So thanks everyone for whatever co-operation you can afford me.

Oh, one more thing. I put it out there in the tech help section to see if the Moderators/Administrators wanted to merge this thread with the other Big Lots thread that's currently out there. I read a few posters there wishing they could move the conversation over here so that's why I presented it to them. So now the decisions up to them.

Geez, another thing. I'm not really up on anime. But if the general consensus here is to add it to the list, I can certainly add a new section. As you can imagine, I'll need lists of titles. And I'll leave it up to everyone if they want it broken down to certain release companies, or just one big "Anime" list.

Ok, I promise this is the last thing. When updating the Warner list, I was modifying the titles to read like such.....Example 1.....

old way...
The Dukes of Hazzard

new way...
Dukes of Hazzard, The

Example 2...

old way...
A Very Long Engagement

new way...
Very Long Engagement, A

What does everyone think ??? I can continue changing them over. Or I can change them back. Let the masses decide........

Last edited by jimmaxmed; 11-22-08 at 10:36 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.