Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 11/16/08 to 11/22/08

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 11/16/08 to 11/22/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 07:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Big Release Comparisons

prices are rounded to the nearest dollar, YMMV store to store

store
Wall-E 1 disc
exclusive ?
Wall-E 3 disc
exclusive ?
Wall-E BR 2 disc/3 disc
exclusive?
Best Buy
$15
puzzle cube
$30
puzzle cube
$27/30
puzzle cube
Circuit City
$15
$28
$27/28
Target
$16
tree seedling code
$30
tree seedling code
$26/30
tree seedling code
Wal-Mart
$15
$23
$25/25
Amazon
$15
$23
$25/25
Deep Discount
$13
after 25% off sale
$19
after 25% off sale
$21/21
after 25% off sale

store
Tropic Thunder 1 disc
exclusive ?
2 disc
exclusive ?
BR
exclusive?
Best Buy
$15
$23
$28
t-shirt
Circuit City
$16
$23
exclusive content is not on disc, but at www.tropicthunder.com/ccosiris
$27
exclusive content is not on disc, but at www.tropicthunder.com/ccosiris
Target
$17
$23
patch
$28
Wal-Mart
$17
$20 w/ soundtrack sampler CD
$23
$27
Amazon
$17
$23
$27
Deep Discount
$16
after 25% off sale
$21
after 25% off sale
$20
after 25% off sale

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies, and price comparisons of all the big new releases.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Wednesday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; we'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Tropic Thunder BR only - t-shirt
Doctor Who Season 4 - steel book
300: Limited Collector’s Edition - graphic novel
Wall-E (any version or game) - puzzle cube

Target -
Wall-E (any version) - online code for tree seedling

Circuit City -
13 Going On 30: SE, Stand By Me, Rent, Stomp The Yard, other titles - trial 6 issue sub to Rolling Stone
Tropic Thunder 2 disc SE - exclusive behind the scenes content on website www.tropicthunder.com/ccosiris

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Tropic Thunder (1 disc) - bundled with soundtrack sampler CD for $20

K-Mart/Sears -
Wall-E - $5 off selected Disney/Pixar films

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
nothing

Barnes and Noble -
I searched and found nothing new

Borders -
I searched and found nothing new

Costco -
Tropic Thunder (1 disc) - black t-shirt

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -
Rankin/Bass Holiday Giftset - holiday glitterdome (snowglobe)

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -
Wall-E (any version) - as mentioned last week or month - free Wall-E water bottle with pre-order, YMMV if they'll give it to you now
free young kids DVD (forget title, but it was a pre-school type thing) with any kid's DVD purchase

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Bestbuy Canada
* Topic Thunder DC 2 disc - booty sweet t-shirt
* Charmed the complete series - bonus disc with exclusive interviews with Alyssa Milano, Holly Combs and Rose McGowan

Futureshop
* Topic Thunder - copy of Zoolander

Wal-Mart Canada
* Tropic Thunder - 6 track CD

Last edited by Trevor; 03-16-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-15-08, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man the price of the deluxe Wall-E bums me out. Maybe Walmart will come through for me though.
Old 11-15-08, 10:57 AM

Bestbuy Canada
* Topic Thunder DC 2 disc - booty sweet t-shirt
* Charmed the complete series - bonus disc with exclusive interviews with Alyssa Milano, Holly Combs and Rose McGowan

Futureshop
* Topic Thunder - copy of Zoolander
Old 11-15-08, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

Wal-Mart Canada's Tropic Thunder exclusive is a 6 track CD. I think it's only the regular edition though.
Old 11-15-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be going to BB for Tropic Thunder and I guess 300 too
Old 11-15-08, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ZoomBoy
Wal-Mart Canada's Tropic Thunder exclusive is a 6 track CD. I think it's only the regular edition though.
Thanks, I have confirmed the US will be the same.

Also, updates made, thank!

Last edited by Trevor; 11-15-08 at 02:24 PM. Reason: confirmed speculation
Old 11-16-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dammit. Guess I'll be paying a marked up ebay price for that Tropic Thunder. Circuit City has no presence in my state.

Edit: Hopefully it just has a link to a website like the CC beowulf did. No need to buy it if that's the case.

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 11-16-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-16-08, 12:12 PM

^I'm thinking it will be on their site, but who knows. Their site has been down all morning.

Was anyone able to find a copy of Hellboy 2 at a Circuit City? All the ones local to me had not received their shipments as of last night. Bizarre. Maybe related to their chapter 11 woes or their problems with Sony?
Old 11-16-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

300: Limited Collector’s Edition - graphic novel
Doesn't it already come with a huge book anyway? Amazon is advertising one just like the best buy pic. So is best buy giving away another book on pack?
Old 11-16-08, 12:50 PM

Yes. Pretty sure it will be a softcover mini (DVD case sized) graphic novel.
Old 11-16-08, 02:29 PM

I'd love feedback on the new section, big release $ comparisons. If not needed or used, I'll gladly delete that chore.

Also, I was just edumacated on how to use tables. Do they look ok? Or should I stick with the way I had it?
Old 11-16-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd love feedback on the new section, big release $ comparisons. If not needed or used, I'll gladly delete that chore.

Also, I was just edumacated on how to use tables. Do they look ok? Or should I stick with the way I had it?
I for one think it is very very helpful as now I do not have to compare all three of ads and try to figure that out myself As for the tables, they look fine to me.

Grateful for all your hard work you put time into this. Thanks so much Trevor...been a long time subscriber to your weekly updates
Old 11-16-08, 04:43 PM

Thanks snausages.

I'm really not fishing for compliments, just wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time. Page views on these weekly threads have been going way down, to the point where I'm not sure the threads are needed. I think we have the same 100 or fewer people checking it every few days, but most of the forum seems to be getting less and less interested in exclusives. Wish I wasn't OCD about them myself sometimes.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be a back-up, I'd love to email you my template. Just in case I quit this task, get banned, lose my internet, whatever; and you all decide to carry on in this endeavor; you can have my template with all the table and forum code to make it a bit easier. Just send me an email if interested, and I'll send you my current blank template.
Old 11-16-08, 06:01 PM
Banned

I like it! great work Trevor!
Old 11-16-08, 06:33 PM

love the new format for the price/exclusive comparison for the week's big releases. thanks for all the hard work! if it's easier to forgo it though, that's cool too. just depends on what works for you. i think the page views are going down just because the titles being released aren't that exciting? i'm sure once the dark knight comes out or maybe some other blockbusters, it'll pick up. then again, it might not.

but while you are doing the work, it is greatly appreciated
Old 11-17-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you know you can never leave right trevor? im serious though.

i think the new release comparison info is a great idea. the table is good too. if i absolutely had to complain, i could ask about the oddish blank spaces of the table - maybe thats a lack of the table function itself? hey you asked!
Old 11-17-08, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by hindolio
you know you can never leave right trevor? im serious though.

i think the new release comparison info is a great idea. the table is good too. if i absolutely had to complain, i could ask about the oddish blank spaces of the table - maybe thats a lack of the table function itself? hey you asked!
You mean the cells that are blank? Those are just because there is no exclusive or note for that particular store/item. For example, column 1 is the store, column 2 is the price of Wall-E 1 disc, column 3 is any note/exclusive for that version, column 4 is the price of Wall-E 3 disc, column 5 is any note/exclusive for that version.

Maybe you're referring to something else though.

Last edited by Trevor; 11-17-08 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-17-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

my walmart sucks for new release dvd prices.
Old 11-17-08, 12:11 PM
Cool New Member

Trevor:

Truly appreciate the time spent making these posts available on a weekly basis--you save all of us a great deal of time!

One request, with apologies in advance if this information is condensed elsewhere and I'm just missing it: any chance you could also add a Blu-Ray column to the grid for the Blu-Ray new release pricing as well?

Thanks again from a fellow Northern Virginian!

Jeff
Old 11-17-08, 12:19 PM

I've thought about adding BR, but wasn't sure how much interest there was. It's still a pretty small niche, 3-10% of the DVD market depending on what numbers you believe. Plus BRs rarely have exclusives, which will always be my main thrust here.

But I'll probably end up adding them.
Old 11-17-08, 01:44 PM

Trevor:
Absolutely LOVE the quick-glance exclusives-listing tables at the head of the column! Great work!!!!
Andrew
Old 11-17-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice, Trevor. I like the new format. Seeing as you have added price comparisons, I vote for a Blu Ray price column as well (in the same grid as the SD version). Many exclusives are given for both SD and BD (BB Hulk lithograph, Target Hulk and Iron Man packaging, Target Clone Wars graphic novel to name a few). Bonus discs and anything from WM are mainly what seems to elude BD buyers...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 11-17-08 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've thought about adding BR, but wasn't sure how much interest there was. It's still a pretty small niche, 3-10% of the DVD market depending on what numbers you believe. Plus BRs rarely have exclusives, which will always be my main thrust here.

But I'll probably end up adding them.
BD may be a small niche in the general public, but I'm sure it has more interest here. I second the request to add BD pricing.
Old 11-17-08, 04:29 PM

Was anyone able to find a copy of Hellboy 2 at a Circuit City? All the ones local to me had not received their shipments as of last night. Bizarre. Maybe related to their chapter 11 woes or their problems with Sony?
I wanted to get it there for the exclusive game card thing, but the ones near me kept saying they hadn't gotten it in & to check back later. Once Friday rolled around & none of the CCs near me had it still, I gave in and ordered it for the cheaper price at Amazon. What usually comes on one of those interactive game card things anyway?

Last edited by Liontamer; 11-17-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
BD may be a small niche in the general public, but I'm sure it has more interest here.
Yeah, I almost typed that into that post. Guess I was just trying to get out of doing it.

I'll add them. But I insist on calling them BR.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.