DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-28-17, 03:58 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C

15% Off One Item
Store Coupon U4Y8X9C and Online Coupon MEM2017
valid at BN.com from May 25, 2017 at 12:01am to May 30, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from May 25, 2017 to May, 29 2017 at close of business.

ONLINE CODES
ALL BELOW CODES ARE COMING UP ALREADY USED STARTING 5/23
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017

Print Wikipost

Old 12-19-16, 10:27 AM   #12501
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

I tested BNDEC50 on Star Trek OS Complete set blu ray which is currently 40% off online at $50.99 and coupon worked. It took $10.20 off price.
Old 12-19-16, 11:00 AM   #12502
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine View Post
I am not able to get this coupon to work on an order of general books.
It's worked on quite a few things I've processed. I'm assuming nothing simple like a preorder is causing the issue. There weren't in extra spaces before or after the code in the promo box

Without knowing which books it's hard to know if one of them is causing a conflict. Does the code work for you on Apu Trilogy as a test? If not, then you may be in a cache loop -- try Chrome incognito, clean your browser, or at a minimum sign in and out of your account.

Some books seem to be classified as textbooks or 3rd party items even when on the surface they don't appear to be.
Old 12-19-16, 08:44 PM   #12503

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine View Post
I am not able to get this coupon to work on an order of general books.
Different question -- have you used the code already once and it just won't apply to a second order under the same account?

Has anyone tried to use the BNDEC50 code more than once and been successful?
Old 12-20-16, 09:50 AM   #12504
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone tried to use the in store coupon with the 40% off blu rays?
Old 12-20-16, 10:20 AM   #12505

A couple people on bluray have with marginal success. If you have 20% mailers or the 15% coupons without the exclusion language, but it appears to be even more YMMV than the Criterion sale.

So far most codes are blocked online and not much success in store.
Old 12-20-16, 10:34 AM   #12506
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a copy of Creepshow 2 LE in-store today(!) and I tried the 25% off and the 15% Off Single Item (A) coupons in-store today and the clerk tried scanning both but neither came off, so I just got the 40% off.
Old 12-20-16, 10:55 AM   #12507
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also I tried using the spend $50 get 20% off coupon online with a few of the Vestron Video BDs and it didn't work I was looking forward to getting them that way, really sucks how B&N is limiting the coupons on sales now.
Old 12-21-16, 06:38 AM   #12508

If you bought one of the new $50 Nook models this year, might want to read this, or forward it to someone who got one...
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...s-barnes-noble
Old 12-21-16, 06:42 PM   #12509
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can non-members use any coupon online during the 40% off sale? None of them are eligible for the promotion. I just might be completely done with Barnes and Noble.
Old 12-21-16, 07:24 PM   #12510

It really depends on the the item -- it's not a member/nonmember or code dependent issue.

The 20% off codes will work for some of the items listed as 40% off, but I haven't really found a pattern.

Most of the items listed in the 40% Online Bluray sale will not accept any coupons at all online or instore, but there are exceptions -- The Killing Room and Star Trek The Animated Series for example both work with the 20% off codes so you have to check individual items to see what titles leaked outside the coupon blocks.

There are quite a few 40% off only in-store items that work with coupons for store generated ship to home orders though a lot (most/all) of them aren't 40% on the website -- Marx Brothers I ordered with a 30% off code though others have done it with 25% off. I was going to try some of teh Warner Archive items tomorrow in store since most of them aren't 40% off online, but I'm not sure if they will be 40% off for Ship to Home order either.

The 25%/30% off codes are in store only though there is a possible ray of light:

BNDEC25 is supposed to go active sometime tonight and should be 25% off Single Item. I don't know whether this is an online or store code or both. The items that are coupon blocked now will likely stay that way
Old 12-21-16, 07:42 PM   #12511
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was trying to purchase some really old Blu-rays. I found them cheaper on ebay.
Old 12-21-16, 08:14 PM   #12512

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I was trying to purchase some really old Blu-rays. I found them cheaper on ebay.
Frequently that will happen although occasionally BN 9.99 will show up with an amazing price. Most older mass market releases tend to run 80% off their original MSRP or even be on their 2nd/3rd MSRP reduction and even with sales, coupons, and member discount BN price will still be far higher.

Specialty studios, newish titles, and independent titles that rarely drop very much or that most stores don't bother with are where BN sales have been most useful though if this new coupon policy is going to be permanent even that niche may be lost.

The other thing to watch for is when a title goes OOP, BN is often one of the last stores where copies will show up and sometimes out of nowhere. I had that happen with several of the Criterions that were lost, Starman, Space 1999, The Prisoner sets, Doctor Who Matt Smith boxsets, and even the Doctor Who S1-7 box, Dr SYN Walt Disney Treasures and several of those Disney tins like SIlly Symphonies. I didn't buy most of them, but it was frequent enough to look for.
Old 12-21-16, 11:36 PM   #12513

New tiered code for those that wish to make one good sized order

Buy More, Save More Offer 10% Off $35; 15% Off $75; 20% Off $125 with Code
BNHONEY17 - unknown exp

25% off Single Item -- store only
expires close of business 12/24 -- most BN will close 6pm local time on Christmas Eve

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-22-16 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-25-16, 07:22 PM   #12514

Due to the disallowance of coupons during the 40% off blu ray sale, I was able to find everything I wanted (except for 1 item) cheaper elsewhere. Criterions were one thing, but pulling the coupon plug across all blurays just made their prices non-competitive - at least for the items I was interested in. They're also backing themselves into a corner since they're capping their discount at 40% against msrp whereas Amazon and other online stores will dynamically adjust their prices to make themselves more competitive. Case in point, Amazon had Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler discounted at 46%.
Old 12-27-16, 11:33 PM   #12515

BNHONEY17 was working earlier, but now it's coming up expired. BN2017 is active and appears to be 15% off $50.
Old 01-11-17, 06:34 AM   #12516

Holiday results

B&N has entered its deep freeze with coupons (until thawing out during the Easter/Memorial Day period), so while we're waiting, it looks like the holidays were not good for B&N. I see three trends: they're stuck with a lot of fad items in inventory, "books outperformed the company as a whole" (so why are they concentrating on everything but books?), and store sales are down dramatically (because why would anyone overpay significantly for items at the store?). Not all bad news, since online sales were up slightly during the holidays. (When sales are up in the 1-2% range, however, they may just be selling the same amount of stuff with some price inflation.) The coming year will be fascinating to see if they get a CEO who can right the ship before it sinks.

http://www.retaildive.com/news/color...lidays/433501/
Old 01-11-17, 08:22 AM   #12517
DVD Talk Hero

I would really hate to see B&N go away.

A single B&N is, literally, the only book store within 150 miles of where I live. There are a handful of independent book stores and a few used book stores, but they are basically useless for my needs. Used book stores don't have any kind of consistent stock, and the independent book shops tend to stock very specific things like boring local interest junk and stuff that's only of interest to seventy year-old women.

The idea of opening up restaurants in B&N sounds like a bad idea. It's going to cost a lot to upgrade the stores, pay chefs, buy food, and everything else it will entail for something that will probably of little interest.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-11-17, 10:55 AM   #12518

"The bookstore chain said sales suffered from lower store traffic and a decline in demand for the once-hot coloring books for grownups that had helped spur sales of art supplies. Barnes & Noble also blamed the absence of new music from British singer-songwriter Adele" - Really? Their balance sheet hangs on coloring books and a single musician?

Last edited by skippy3elf; 01-11-17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 06:45 AM   #12519

BN underwhelming coupon for this weekend: 15% Off One Item (usual exclusions) - Expires: 01/16/2017 - Store Coupon K4W9H7J and Online Coupon BNJAN17

Probably a corresponding member code, but they don't send me member e-mails. If anyone gets one and uses it (or doesn't need it), please post it here.

B&N went for the fads with coloring books, vinyl records, and so on. I was afraid they'd get stuck with an inventory of these items, and it looks like they have for coloring books. When fads are over, you can't give the merchandise away, so it's a dangerous way to make money. And if a year has no real fads, you're stuck.

I honestly do not understand the restaurant thing. Even people in the restaurant industry have trouble making restaurants viable. How is BN going to do it?
Old 01-12-17, 11:54 AM   #12520

Underwhelming maybe, but it is back to expected historical normal coupons.

Yes there is a member 20% code as well.

I don't think I'm buying anything this weekend so here's my 20% off single item code -- 2T8PV4BXCQPMA
Old 01-12-17, 12:58 PM   #12521
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know the expiration date, but just now saw (and successfully used) this code posted on Daily DVD Deals for 20% off one in-stock item:

3N32VQM1FRV51

Should work for everyone...don't know if it's reusable.

UPDATE: Put in a second test order without checking out, and it did apply the discount for additional orders.

Sad that they want to charge $16.99 to ship an oversized item, though, even for members. I understand that shipping charges are high, but I just recently shipped a 50-disc Best of WB bluray collection that weighed a ton by itself was heavily packed in a huge box via USPS media mail for under $10 including $125 insurance. I could see $5-6 dollars charge from BN, but $17 is ridiculous, IMO. The item was an omnibus costing $50; the $10 discount would have been totally negated by the shipping charge which was over 1/3 the cost of the book (and that doesn't include 10% tax). I'll stick to free shipping items from BN unless they have a huge sale accompanied by a big coupon discount that beats everyone by a country mile (like the original Zatouichi set that ended up being around $65).

Can you get free shipping by doing ship-to-home in-store on these heavy items? The closest BN is 30 miles away, so a 60-mile round trip to get one item is usually out of the question.

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-12-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 01:29 PM   #12522

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Underwhelming maybe, but it is back to expected historical normal coupons.
Thanks, Hari! I used the code already...!

There's a cassette revival going on, so maybe 2017's fad will be cassettes. A whole generation has come along which never knew the joy of having a cassette player "eat" you cassette and wind it around its mechanisms.
https://www.fastcompany.com/3067073/...-is-paying-off
Old 01-12-17, 03:14 PM   #12523
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DC and Marvel Graphic Novels: Buy 2, Get the 3rd Free promo is excluding all coupons, at least with the books I was ordering. I tried pretty much every coupon on this page for an order over $100 before tax or shipping, but absolutely no coupon worked. A couple were expired, most of the rest said things like "Item(s) in your bag are not eligible for this promotion." Not even BNJAN17 or 3N32VQM1FRV51 worked. B&N seems to be really clamping down.
Old 01-12-17, 03:45 PM   #12524

Have any of the online codes worked directly on teh B2G1 sales for the last 6+ months?

I thought most of the posts had said those were blocked excepct via the loophole codes that mostly disappeared in Oct/Nov
Old 01-12-17, 04:32 PM   #12525
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to use an online code in December, for a purchase of 2 paid gn's, 1 free one, and 1 Blu-ray. It worked on all of the items. In the Comic Bargains thread then there were 1-2 reports of others getting coupons to work, with the 15% off $60 and 20% off $100 coupons starting in this post: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12967765-post835.html

I think I used 15% off $60 then, but don't recall for certain.