Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Old 07-16-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by hariseldon
That's the original 2014 Dual Format/Combo release which was rereleased last year as a BD only. In the past only the most current release will be 50% off during these sales.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0715515234412

Not sure why, but most commonly the original release usually is sold out or removed from teh site, but there always seems to be a couple old stragglers with each sale.
Thanks! Somehow in my search the other one never came up.
Old 07-16-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
Thanks! Somehow in my search the other one never came up.
The See All Versions and Formats is the key once you get to any version, but that takes a lot of B&N surfing to get to be second nature to look for.
A lot of B&N searching defaults to the DVD and doesn't always have the direct Bluray option to click, but with items with multiple releases it gets difficult to find a specific version

I usually input the UPC (from DD or bluray.com database) into B&N Search if I really want to find a specific release, studio. Most of the time the 12 digiti works though B&N employs a 13 digit
UPC (EAN) is you look at their details so occasionally you have to add the leading 0 to the UPC to get the search to work correctly
Old 07-16-20, 03:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digressing slightly from the Criterion sale, is the Cohen sale also a regular thing on BN? I recall all Cohen releases were 50% off last December, but can't remember whether it was a one-off event.
Old 07-16-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riderontherain
Digressing slightly from the Criterion sale, is the Cohen sale also a regular thing on BN? I recall all Cohen releases were 50% off last December, but can't remember whether it was a one-off event.
That was a 1st time Sale so unknown what will happen this Nov/Dec
I got a large large number of them, but still need quite a few others.
Old 10-08-20, 08:02 AM

I re-upped my BN membership for the first time in a while because I bought a CD boxed set in late August and between the discount and shipping, it made sense. Did they send me any welcome coupons or anything? Of course not.

A friend on Twitter said they haven't been doing any coupons at all this year due to the pandemic? What a joke.
Old 10-08-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They haven't had the Welcome Coupons for around 18 months, but they're not out of business yet either like many in this thread or it's predecessors were celebrating in 2009/2010 and have been announcing semi-annually since

The biggest perk right now appears to be the 20% discount on buying a membership during 1st purchase which I'm assuming is still going on. If I was 100% sure of the upcoming sales, I had considered skipping the next Criterion Flash Sale (likely either 10/13 or 10/20) and buying all of my shopping list Criterions in one big group and signing up for a new membership -- esp the Varda, Fellini, Scorsese Boxsets. I probably won't do it just for the extra trouble, but for those without a current membership it could be a nice upfront bonus even after paying the $25 fee.

For those looking to stock up for Criterion or December sales -- selected AMEX is having another Card Offer with HappyCards. Buy $100 in PrePaid Cards (HAPPY TEEN is the B&N included) directly and get a $15 rebate -- limit 1.
I have one on my card and my wife's card so I'll likely do both again. These are physical cards mailed to you so it takes a week or two to arrive. Just in case you don't think you'll spend it all at B&N, the cards are also good for several
other stores/restaurants. These cards are generally meant for in-store use and not online purchases and some of the listed stores will not allow online use.

If/When B&N has their Nov/BF gift card deals I then have flipped the HappyTeen cards into B&N Gift Cards with the extra discount -- last year their were $10 off $25 coupons active in December and the more common Buy $50GC and get a $10 Promo GC
with a delayed activation after Christmas. This can push the effective discount close to a transparent 30%.

Happy Teen Cards are listed for use:
Regal Cinemas, American Eagle, Under Armour, Dave & Buster’s, Sephora (standalone stores), Jamba, Panera Bread, Ulta Beauty or Barnes & Noble

Last edited by hariseldon; 10-08-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-10-20, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sent out a 10% off your entire order coupon (TENTEN) email this morning. Check your spam folders as mine was in the spam for some reason. IT expires today (Oct.10).
Old 10-10-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Must have forgotten to hit submit on my post

Interesting -- not terribly useful, but at this point any coupon is a surprise, plus a decent GC deal. I'll assume this is BN at least acknowledging Prime Day

Online Coupon TENTEN Details:
Expires: 10/10/20

†NOOK devices, NOOK Books, All LEGO® items in the Toys & Games Department, and Gift Cards Excluded
For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed only once per transaction online at BN.com.
This coupon is valid at BN.com from October 10, 2020 at 12:01am to October 11, 2020 at 2:59am Eastern Time.
This coupon entitles you to 10% off qualifying orders when you enter code TENTEN at checkout. The discount will be deducted after all other eligible discounts are applied.

Barnes & Noble.com October Gift Card Promo 2020
Terms & Conditions:

These promotions are valid from the dates set forth below.

BN.com: Get a Free $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card with purchase of 100.00 or more worth of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards*or Barnes & Noble eGift Cards*at Barnes & Noble.com in a single transaction only at BN.com.*This offer is valid only on purchases of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards or eGift Cards totaling $100.00 in a single transaction*only*at*Barnes & Noble.com. The value of your qualifying Barnes & Noble Gift Card or Barnes & Noble eGift Card purchase must total at least $100.00 to qualify for*the $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card. Sales tax, gift wrap, processing charges, shipping and handling charges, or any additional charges will not count towards the qualifying purchase amount of*$100.00. This offer can be redeemed only once per customer.* Your purchase must be made between October 9, 2020 and October 12, 2020 at 11:59 PM* Eastern Time to qualify for this offer. The $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card will be delivered via email to*you on*October 30, 2020 to*the*email*address associated with your*$100.00*BN.com Gift Card / eGift Card purchase on*Barnes & Noble.com. $10 Barnes & Noble eGift Card has no expiration.
Old 10-10-20, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

Must have forgotten to hit submit on my post

Interesting -- not terribly useful, but at this point any coupon is a surprise, plus a decent GC deal. I'll assume this is BN at least acknowledging Prime Day

Online Coupon TENTEN Details:
Expires: 10/10/20

†NOOK devices, NOOK Books, All LEGO® items in the Toys & Games Department, and Gift Cards Excluded
For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed only once per transaction online at BN.com.
This coupon is valid at BN.com from October 10, 2020 at 12:01am to October 11, 2020 at 2:59am Eastern Time.
This coupon entitles you to 10% off qualifying orders when you enter code TENTEN at checkout. The discount will be deducted after all other eligible discounts are applied.

Terms & Conditions:

BN.com: Get a Free $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card with purchase of 100.00 or more worth of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards*or Barnes & Noble eGift Cards*at Barnes & Noble.com in a single transaction only at BN.com.*This offer is valid only on purchases of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards or eGift Cards totaling $100.00 in a single transaction*only*at*Barnes & Noble.com. The value of your qualifying Barnes & Noble Gift Card or Barnes & Noble eGift Card purchase must total at least $100.00 to qualify for*the $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card. Sales tax, gift wrap, processing charges, shipping and handling charges, or any additional charges will not count towards the qualifying purchase amount of*$100.00. This offer can be redeemed only once per customer.* Your purchase must be made between October 9, 2020 and October 12, 2020 at 11:59 PM* Eastern Time to qualify for this offer. The $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card will be delivered via email to*you on*October 30, 2020 to*the*email*address associated with your*$100.00*BN.com Gift Card / eGift Card purchase on*Barnes & Noble.com. $10 Barnes & Noble eGift Card has no expiration.
Surely the Nov GC promotion (if there is one) would be a better deal. If they don't do one this year, that would be a sure sign BN has finally reached the end of the road. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-11-20, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surely the Nov GC promotion (if there is one) would be a better deal. If they don't do one this year, that would be a sure sign BN has finally reached the end of the road. Fingers crossed.

No doubt, but if you need something earlier and/or don't trust waht BN will do this year, it's some sort of deal and ANYTHING right now at least qualifies as equivalent to an EMT checking a pulse at the site of a car wreck.
Nice thing to note the PROMO $10 with this deal doesn't expire,
Old 10-12-20, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is another coupon. It's 15% off the entire order. It's only good for 10/12/20. The code is 15FORYOU.
Old 10-12-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cmleidi
There is another coupon. It's 15% off the entire order. It's only good for 10/12/20. The code is 15FORYOU.
And only for an online order with instore pickup. Several people have said that the ISPU option isn't coming up on most items they've checked.
Surely an error and not intentional, but makes teh code unusable (also eliminates the 10% member discount unless you convince the Manager to do a manual override afterwards)
Old 10-14-20, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Gift Card Offer now working at B&N and BN.com for the next week. If you are going to make Criterion Purchases in Nov during the PRESUME B&N SALE (no confirmations yet) this may be a nice way to get a substantial discount

Get $20 Reward Card for buying $100 Gift Card. This is a slight variation of the usual Black Friday sale of a $10 Reward with $100 purchase (net 18% discount)
The Reward Card will be sent email on/around Oct 30
Normally these promotion are once per account online and multiple in store if the store promos work like they have in teh past
The $20 Reward Card will EXPIRE Nov 26 so useful for the pre BF sales.
If for some reason you don't find anything to buy and don't want to waste the card you can buy anything to use the card value and then return that item
later. When you return the item, you should be refunded with a normal no expiration Gift Card. OR you are more than welcome to send them to me

Got ahead of myself a little -- I can't tell from the offer if this is live In-store or not. This might be an online only offer.

Terms & Conditions:

BN.com: Get a Free $20.00 Barnes & Noble Reward with purchase of $100.00 or more worth of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards or Barnes & Noble eGift Cards at Barnes & Noble.com in a single transaction only at BN.com. This offer is valid only on purchases of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards or eGift Cards totaling $100.00 in a single transaction only at Barnes & Noble.com. The value of your qualifying Barnes & Noble Gift Card or Barnes & Noble eGift Card purchase must total at least $100.00 to qualify for the $20.00 Barnes & Noble Reward. Sales tax, gift wrap, processing charges, shipping and handling charges, or any additional charges will not count towards the qualifying purchase amount of $100.00. This offer can be redeemed only once per customer. Your purchase must be made between October 13, 2020 and October 19, 2020 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time to qualify for this offer. The $20.00 Barnes & Noble Reward will be delivered via email to you on October 30, 2020 to the email address associated with your $100.00 BN.com Gift Card / eGift Card purchase on Barnes & Noble.com. The $20.00 Reward is valid beginning October 30, 2020 and expires on November 26, 2020 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

Last edited by hariseldon; 10-14-20 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I received the following email last night.

Dear Barnes & Noble Customer,

It is with the greatest regret we inform you that we were made aware on October 10, 2020 that Barnes & Noble had been the victim of a cybersecurity attack, which resulted in unauthorized and unlawful access to certain Barnes & Noble corporate systems.

We write now out of the greatest caution to let you know how this may have exposed some of the information we hold of your personal details.

Firstly, to reassure you, there has been no compromise of payment card or other such financial data. These are encrypted and tokenized and not accessible. The systems impacted, however, did contain your email address and, if supplied by you, your billing and shipping address and telephone number. We currently have no evidence of the exposure of any of this data, but we cannot at this stage rule out the possibility. We give below answers to some frequently asked questions.

We take the security of our IT systems extremely seriously and regret sincerely that this incident has occurred. We know also that it is concerning and inconvenient to receive notices such as this. We greatly appreciate your understanding and thank you for being a Barnes & Noble customer.

Barnes & Noble

1. Have my payment details been exposed? No, your payment details have not been exposed. Barnes & Noble uses technology that encrypts all credit cards and at no time is there any unencrypted payment information in any Barnes & Noble system.

2. Could a transaction be made without my authorization? No, no financial information was accessible. It is always encrypted and tokenized.

3. Was my email compromised? No. Your email was not compromised as a result of this attack. However, it is possible that your email address was exposed and, as a result, you may receive unsolicited emails.

4. Was any personal information exposed due to the attack? While we do not know if any personal information was exposed as a result of the attack, we do retain in the impacted systems your billing and shipping addresses, your email address and your telephone number if you have supplied these.

5. Do you retain any other information in the impacted systems? Yes, we also retain your transaction history, meaning purchase information related to the books and other products that you have bought from us.

Old 10-27-20, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a phone conversation with BN CSR tonight and asked specifically about the Criterion Sale.

Criterion Sale 50% off MSRP - Barnes & Noble FALL 2020 Sale NOV 6 through NOV 30

Others have been reporting the same general information for several days so I think there's enough to say it's going to happen.
Exact Details if there are any specific changes with this sale I guess can be added later once the sale starts.

Extra deals -- various GC discounts likely will be available. Typical resellers though I'm not seeing anything above 10%.
BN almost always has some sort of discounted GC during Nov and esp around BF. Last years there was an interesting $10 off $25 coupon for buy $50+ GC from Nov 1 to early BF week. These 'Coupons" were active in December expiring around Christmas and
worked just like a Gift Card and were stackable -- I think I used 5 of them on a $70 purchase. BF they have their typical $10 Promo Cards (activated Dec 26 with Feb 29 expiration) for $50 GC purchase.

New Membership signup at the register has a 20% of First Purchase which makes a single large bulk purchase very desirable IF the 50% Criterions aren't excluded from the deal. It worked fine in July, but each sale seems to tweak the rules.
The following users liked this post:
ctyankee (10-27-20)
Old 10-27-20, 11:55 PM

I had a phone conversation with BN CSR tonight and asked specifically about the Criterion Sale.

Criterion Sale 50% off MSRP - Barnes & Noble FALL 2020 Sale NOV 6 through NOV 30

Others have been reporting the same general information for several days so I think there's enough to say it's going to happen.
Exact Details if there are any specific changes with this sale I guess can be added later once the sale starts.

Extra deals -- various GC discounts likely will be available. Typical resellers though I'm not seeing anything above 10%.
BN almost always has some sort of discounted GC during Nov and esp around BF. Last years there was an interesting $10 off $25 coupon for buy $50+ GC from Nov 1 to early BF week. These 'Coupons" were active in December expiring around Christmas and
worked just like a Gift Card and were stackable -- I think I used 5 of them on a $70 purchase. BF they have their typical $10 Promo Cards (activated Dec 26 with Feb 29 expiration) for $50 GC purchase.

New Membership signup at the register has a 20% of First Purchase which makes a single large bulk purchase very desirable IF the 50% Criterions aren't excluded from the deal. It worked fine in July, but each sale seems to tweak the rules.
It would have been nice to get 20% off the $70 Prince box set I was buying, nobody said a thing about it. This company sucks.
Old 10-28-20, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take it back and do a do-over.

Opened -- do-over and take it back on the original receipt.
Sounds like you store may suck, but the offer been in the website for at least a year so hard for me to blame the company.
I'd be shocked if those signs are not all over the register area

Possibly your store had too many customers yelling at clerks for "hard selling that worthless membership" at the register so blame your fellow customers
Old 10-30-20, 03:12 AM
Cool New Member

Does renewing membership get this 20% off? If not, can I sign up for a second membership using a different email address (but the same physical address)? Or I can let my current membership lapse (it expires sometime in Nov) and sign up for a new one?
Old 10-30-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does renewing membership get this 20% off? If not, can I sign up for a second membership using a different email address (but the same physical address)? Or I can let my current membership lapse (it expires sometime in Nov) and sign up for a new one?

Renewing -- not unless something changes

Second Membership -- maybe though I guess 1st thing to find out if any of those extra discounts will apply to the 50% items.
Even if it expires I wouldn't totally trust using the same email address. i don't know how the 20% is applied and if there are any checks on the spot -- phone number, addresses, email, etc
Old 11-02-20, 04:56 PM

Did anyone get their $20 gc emailed to them as part of the last buy $100 get $20 promo?
Old 11-02-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pathman
Did anyone get their $20 gc emailed to them as part of the last buy $100 get $20 promo?
I haven;t heard of anyone getting it yet. I couple folks got a response from CSR yesterday that said they were behind, but still working on it.
With the weekend, Covid and Election I was going to give it until Wed before worrying too much.

As long as it shows up by Friday it not going to matter
Old 11-05-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did receive my $20 Reward Email this afternoon.
I sent them an email yesterday asking about it and got the usual - "We're sorry, we'll get it out as soon as possible, but it's running late"

I sent a reply - Still polite, no cursing, but a bit more pointed telling them that sort of non-answer wasn't acceptable and mentioned that people were starting to get angry over seemingly being duped.
I told them if they'd just give someone a Date to expect it would go a long way instead of the "Soon" "In a short period of time"
Could be coincidence, but a bit more than 12 hrs later the Reward showed up.

Hopefully everyone else is getting theirs as well
Old 11-06-20, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4)**** The Major Question Mark centers on the fate of the 10% In-Store Only Member discount -- 1st reports say this isn't working on in-store purchases. It appears the July Sale is the last of it's kind.

Barnes & Noble.com November 2020 Gift Card Promo
BN.com: Get a Free $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card with purchase of 100.00 or more worth of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards or Barnes & Noble eGift Cards at Barnes & Noble.com in a single transaction only at BN.com. This offer is valid only on purchases of Barnes & Noble Gift Cards or eGift Cards totaling $100.00 in a single transaction only at Barnes & Noble.com. The value of your qualifying Barnes & Noble Gift Card or Barnes & Noble eGift Card purchase must total at least $100.00 to qualify for the $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card. Sales tax, gift wrap, processing charges, shipping and handling charges, or any additional charges will not count towards the qualifying purchase amount of $100.00. This offer can be redeemed only once per customer. Your purchase must be made between November 6, 2020 and November 23, 2020 at 2:59 AM Eastern Time to qualify for this offer. The $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card will be delivered via email to you on December 11, 2020 to the email address associated with your $100.00 BN.com Gift Card / eGift Card purchase on Barnes & Noble.com. The $10 Barnes & Noble eGift Card has no expiration.

In the past, this offer has been available in-store though I guess we;ll have to see for sure. In-store there hasn't been a corporate limit of 1 per customer though some local stores have their own limits. It is nice that this PROMO Card doesn't have an expiration AND will be active mid December so any Christmas Sales

I will assume there will also be some sort of Black Friday GC deal a bit better than this deal, but a nice way to amplify the savings

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-06-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-06-20, 03:24 PM

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anybody went to the Barnes and Noble store today to take advantage of the Criterion Collection 50% off sale. I bought "The War of the Worlds" and "The Elephant Man" blu-rays. They were 50% off the regular price but I couldn't get the additional 10% off with the membership. The store manager told me that the 10% membership discount is not valid for any sale item that is already discounted. Is this a one-off problem for me?

Thank you.
Old 11-06-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by goodwin
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anybody went to the Barnes and Noble store today to take advantage of the Criterion Collection 50% off sale. I bought "The War of the Worlds" and "The Elephant Man" blu-rays. They were 50% off the regular price but I couldn't get the additional 10% off with the membership. The store manager told me that the 10% membership discount is not valid for any sale item that is already discounted. Is this a one-off problem for me?

Thank you.
Several people have had the same results today, One of the splash screens ahead of the sale seemed to indicate that would be the case and it was confirmed today.
There was a similar worry in July since some other sale items in June had been blocked, but then Criterion Sale went as it had i the past sp we still weren't 100% sure until today.

The last I understood the discount issue likely stems from the New Corp. owners dislike of Member style plans and it seems they;ve been phasing out various benefits steadily since last Nov.
when a batch of specific 50% off Christmas Sale items weren't allowed further discounts. Post Christmas Clearance sale items, most of the Remaindered books also weren't allowed the extra 10%
Since the stores were basically closed March to mid June there wasn;t a lot of chances to test it.

As I understood a bit more details, it may not be all sale items, but specifically things that are already 40-50+% off may be blocked from any further discounts. I know in a month or so back I
bought a few things 25-35% off and the member discount did apply.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.