Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Can the 30% coupon be used in-store on books that are already discounted 20/30% off? (ie, bestsellers and other books with discount stickers)

The instructions on it seem ambiguous in that regard.
Yes, absolutely.
Old 11-26-14, 02:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hariseldon
If you stood there with 30 coupons, 30 items, 1 account and 1 Credit Card with a clerk that would scan any piece of paper you handed -- then the discount would be applied automatically on 30 items though I'm not sure it would apply twice in the same transaction without a manual override -- again assuming this coupon works like all other coupons of this type have in the past.
So you're saying because the code presented is generic, you're able to print out and use as many copies as you want until it expires? Seems unlikely that I'd be able to print out 7 coupons and buy 7 items and receive 30% off from each item all in one fluid transaction.

I'm not trying to argue here. Just trying to get a better understanding of how the coupon works and how to get the best of it!
Old 11-26-14, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjl92
So you're saying because the code presented is generic, you're able to print out and use as many copies as you want until it expires? Seems unlikely that I'd be able to print out 7 coupons and buy 7 items and receive 30% off from each item all in one fluid transaction.

I'm not trying to argue here. Just trying to get a better understanding of how the coupon works and how to get the best of it!
Because the coupon is generic, there is nothing stopping a clerk from letting you use it multiple times. The system has no way of blocking it out, as it's not one-time use. As hariseldon said, it probably won't work on multiple items in a single transaction. Now technically it does say once per customer (or something like that) on the coupon, but a nice clerk could just ring you up as a second (or third or seventh) transaction and "pretend" that you're a different customer.

I've gotten these to work two and three times before, and I've used seven or so of the individual code coupons in one transaction. This will be my first week where I attempt a lot of them, as my mother and wife have already given me my Christmas money to buy Criterions for them to put under the tree.

I plan on heading out today to pick up the gift certificates (to get $10 free for each $75 I spend), so that I don't have to do that over the crazy shopping weekend. I'm going to print out a copy of the coupon and hopefully my friendly manager is there and I can go ahead and ask him if he'll let me use it multiple times, and stress to him that I'll probably be buying quite a few of them.
Old 11-26-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kjl92

IF you find a friendly cashier, yes.

Last year, for instance, she realised on the third item that the code was the same each time and just started typing it in for every item to save time....

...one year after using the "same" coupon five times, I had a manager called over; he eventually agreed that if I "had" (i.e. had printed) X coupons, logically I was allowed them. It could easily have gone the other way, but I got lucky.
Old 11-26-14, 09:49 AM

I would never stand there and do that because if this clerk has a strict manager, he is very likely to end up in hot water once the manager looks at all the purchases and notices the repetition. The next time you walk in that nice clerk may be less accomodating to lenient purchases. People have also gotten themselves flagged as a coupon abuser for doing similar things and ?? blocked from the store or even had their accounts blocked -- it's rare, but it is possible.

A couple here, a couple there, split up the items, go back a second day, if you have multiple stores use that, and always try to stay invisible is the best way if you are shopping BN longer term. Even last year with the 40% code I think I used it 4 times total, certainly not much more than that.

As some people have stated, if the manager was the one doing it for them and was quite happy is processing sales so I'd be more aggressive there particularly if we've had a longer relationship.
I certainly feel a bit rude tying up the check out desk for more than a couple of purchases... but... it's far enough to get to our B&N, that I pretty-much have to.

What I do is keep my piles of discs/coupons well-stacked, and anytime someone lines up behind me I let them queue-jump and make their transaction before I continue. Ironically, this actually gave me brownie points with the cashier, because it seems polite! Not tying up the desk completely when I could have seemed generous enough that they thanked me afterwards..
Old 11-26-14, 10:00 AM

If you stood there with 30 coupons, 30 items, 1 account and 1 Credit Card with a clerk that would scan any piece of paper you handed -- then the discount would be applied automatically on 30 items though I'm not sure it would apply twice in the same transaction without a manual override -- again assuming this coupon works like all other coupons of this type have in the past.
About three years ago, the system allowed for coupon stacking. So you could hand them a $50 disc, and then get $8 off, $5 and (when they had the mystery coupons) then also get 30% off that, 20% off that, 15% off the total... then 10% off with a members card. You could "save" about 85% off a Criterion, but it was obviously highly shifty. The computer people/hierarchy noticed and now the computers will automatically SWITCH coupons if you try to use more than one: as in, if you hand a 30% and the 8 off 40 to be scanned, only the second-scanned one will be reflected in your total.

They CAN override it, and they may to combine the percentage and x off X xoupons... but they have been advised not to.

I think the system allows two coupons to be scanned for an order containing two items without override, but I'm not certain. Even that might require an override.

Lastly, on one occasion the cashier scanned five itema and manually took the (then-)20% off them all - simply to save time. One transaction of five items was quicker than five separate ones near closing time.
Old 11-26-14, 01:25 PM

The coupon thing is really pretty ridiculous when you get down to it. Cheap criterions is the only reason for me to even consider shopping at Barnes & Noble.
Old 11-26-14, 02:26 PM

^^
Well said...
Old 11-26-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

30% coupon BFRIDAY14 is now live online
Old 11-26-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just used it on a $283 item. WOOHOO!!! Bought 3 $75 GC's first. HUGE savings!
Old 11-27-14, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I just used it on a $283 item. WOOHOO!!! Bought 3 $75 GC's first. HUGE savings!
WHAT item...?!
Old 11-27-14, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Laser Movies
30% coupon BFRIDAY14 is now live online
Awesome. Do you know if it can be used more than once per account? Trying to stratagize.
Old 11-27-14, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I plan on heading out today to pick up the gift certificates (to get $10 free for each $75 I spend), so that I don't have to do that over the crazy shopping weekend. I'm going to print out a copy of the coupon and hopefully my friendly manager is there and I can go ahead and ask him if he'll let me use it multiple times, and stress to him that I'll probably be buying quite a few of them.
Assuming you still live in Orlando which one do you go to? The Colonial one is great and I never have a problem reusing, but I try never to do it in one visit but I may try.
Old 11-27-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Laser, any coupons available? I could use a couple. Thanks.
Old 11-27-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Laser, any coupons available? I could use a couple. Thanks.
There is a new 30% coupon on the first page that anyone can use online and stores that is valid through Sunday.
Old 11-27-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, I already used it. It can only be used once.
Old 11-27-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Ah, I already used it. It can only be used once.
If you had a extra BN account(s) you could use it again. There is also the store coupon that officially goes live tomorrow.
Old 11-27-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since you hanging out. Will there just be the single Cybermonday 25% or do think there will be some extra codes like the last couple Mondays.
There may be a couple of other online coupons. There is a $10 off a $75 purchase, and a $20 off a $100 purchase online codes that could get activated Monday with the CM coupon.
Old 11-28-14, 09:11 AM

Anybody hear anything about the start date for the 50% off British TV sale?
Old 11-28-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by diditagain
Anybody hear anything about the start date for the 50% off British TV sale?
Unless someone else answers your question I will try to find out today when I go pick up a few Criterion titles I have reserved at my local store.
Old 11-28-14, 04:29 PM

Would anybody have any spare coupons they're willing to donate? I'm at the store at the time of writing this reply and I see a couple of titles I'd love to have. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I posted up my results on this on Wednesday, but removed them in the paranoia that B&N people were gonna see it and report the manager or some other such nonsense. I'll restate it now, since I've already picked up the titles.

(Warning: Long)
Spoiler:

I went in to the store and spoke with the manager about the 30% off coupon. I asked him if it would be okay to use it multiple times, and he said that technically no, but he would ring it up as different transactions like he did with some coupons for me in July. I reminded him that I was planning on buying quite a bit, as my mother had given me about $500 to spend on them for my XMas gifts. He said that I should go ahead and buy gift cards to get some additional free money on the 26th. The manager asked me what day I planned on coming in, and I said probably Sunday as it would be less busy. He stated that some stuff may be gone by then, so I can come in and day and he'll be there.

I went ahead and picked up 10 gift cards and went to the register. The guy said "How many?" and I told him ten. So he goes "$10 on each?" and I respond "No, $75." He rings me out and I'm on my way.

I decided to go in this afternoon, since it's Black Friday has usually died down by then. The mall parking lot was still insanely packed, but I was already there, so what the hell. I go in and didn't see the manager, so I went to media and just started picking out movies. After I've picked out about as much as I can hold, I carry them up to the register. The cashier asks if I'm ready, and I say "No, but can you hold these for a few minutes?" I do this several more times as well.

When I've picked out what I want to purchase, I head up there with my last bundle. I tell the cashier "This is going to sound crazy, but the manager said I can use the 30% off coupon on each of these." He looked at me pretty incredulously, and called the manager to take care of it. In the meantime, a female cashier came up as well. After a moment, the manager came by and said "Yeah, it's fine." and shook my hand. There then proceeded a 30+ minute checkout as the female cashier had to do each one individually. She didn't mind though, and we had a nice conversation about film, as she's a film major at the local university.

I don't know why that manager is so nice, but that will definitely be my B&N of choice for the foreseeable future.

(Evidence)
Spoiler:

Many thanks again to Laser Movies and hariseldon for always providing all of us with the coupon codes!
Old 11-28-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-28-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^

I picked up 17 titles this go round and I thought that I was excessive.
Old 11-28-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I think 35-40 is my record for a single sale. of course I think my first sale was the first November sale they did and there were only 25 total Criterions and they were only releasing 3 or 4 per month.
Yowza. Shagrath has you beat here by almost a third, but that's still an insanely huge amount of pricier media to pick up in one short period.

I tallied up my summer sale buys and I had 25 single titles and 3 large box sets. That's got to be the most I've ever indulged in one of these sales. And that was only because I was (1) able to use coupons on every transaction and (2) able to throw stuff up on Amazon and get quick money to subsidize most of those impulse purchases.

I've still got books and other stuff up on Amazon, but they don't move nearly as well as the DVDs and Bds did. The loss of that as a subsidy will definitely be impacting my buying going forward.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.