Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Old 03-31-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
SHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't give them any ideas!!! I am personally SHOCKED they are doing this again, since we surely abused the hell out of them last time (especially when combined with the B2G1F). I was using 2 coupons at once, then getting a free item too! I honestly felt like I had just robbed the place, every time I used the coupon! I won't go as overboard this time, but I'll use it a good dozen times...
I just don't think there's a lot of us. I'm in Manhattan where I imagine the B&Ns get pretty high traffic, and the last time we had these coupons, I had at least 50% of employees that rang me up tell me they had never seen a 50% coupon before and treat me like I had just won the lottery. I think the vast majority of people just used their 10% or 15% coupons.
Old 03-31-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by illennium
I just don't think there's a lot of us. I'm in Manhattan where I imagine the B&Ns get pretty high traffic, and the last time we had these coupons, I had at least 50% of employees that rang me up tell me they had never seen a 50% coupon before and treat me like I had just won the lottery. I think the vast majority of people just used their 10% or 15% coupons.
That's funny, one of my clerks said the opposite: "Wow, that's the 3rd consecutive 50% off one I got today!"
Old 03-31-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by someonetotalk
Mr. kenbenobi, can you tell me which is the first store and which one was the second store? Thank you very much. I will check those stores myself tomorrow.
Mayfair was #1, Southridge was #2. I rarely go to Brookfield or Bayshore...
Old 03-31-11, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I thought Barnes & Noble didn't accept manufacturer coupons?
They don't. At least that's what I've been told by managers on multiple occasions.
Old 03-31-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's funny, one of my clerks said the opposite: "Wow, that's the 3rd consecutive 50% off one I got today!"
One of the employees who rang me up literally started singing and dancing when the coupon came up 50%. There was a split-second where I thought I might be on a candid-camera show. He said he had been waiting to see a 50% coupon and was starting to think they didn't exist. He made such a scene that I was afraid to go back to that store the next day.
Old 03-31-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Went in tonight with another Member Coupon and Non-Member Coupon and used 'em both to pick up some more Doctor Who. Funny thing was, the cashier tonight didn't scan the coupon but manually entered them. When he did the Member Coupon he said it was only 15%, so I said cancel the transaction. I thought maybe I had printed out the wrong one, but when I checked it was definitely the 50% Off one, so I went back and said, lets try it again, just to be sure. He said it was random and would probably be 15% Off again, but agreed to try it. Sure enough, when he entered it it was 50% Off. I think he must have made a mistake the first time, but it's frustrating when you know what the coupon is worth and they're trying to say otherwise. It's hard to convince them that you think a mistake has been made when technically we shouldn't know what the value of the coupon is in the first place.

Oh, and thus far no customer service person has let me order a DVD from them; they've told me I need to go to the DVD department.

If Barnes & Noble was really concerned about these coupons, they could easily just have one barcode and have it randomly generate a value.
This is my concern tomorrow when I use my coupon. My answer to their questions will be that it was 50% off online and I expect it to be the same in-store. I will have the correct coupon for half off I just never trust the system or people to give me the correct percentage off. Its just a matter of how much bs it will take to get my criterion half off
Old 03-31-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
This is my concern tomorrow when I use my coupon. My answer to their questions will be that it was 50% off online and I expect it to be the same in-store. I will have the correct coupon for half off I just never trust the system or people to give me the correct percentage off. Its just a matter of how much bs it will take to get my criterion half off
That was part of my explanation: that the image URL actually said 50% Off, which actually convinced the guy to try again; frankly, I'm amazed he knew what I was talking about.
Old 03-31-11, 11:39 PM

gonna try getting Tron 5 disc mail to home option tomorrow. 1st time trying this. So i just print out coupon 502001 and have them scan it? would it work with just one item?
Old 03-31-11, 11:42 PM

Mayfair was #1, Southridge was #2. I rarely go to Brookfield or Bayshore...
Thank you MR. kenbenobi!
Old 04-01-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That was part of my explanation: that the image URL actually said 50% Off, which actually convinced the guy to try again; frankly, I'm amazed he knew what I was talking about.
I have a small sliver of hope that if I have to fight for my 50% I get someone half competent enough to understand what I'm talking about.

Congrats on having a half decent transaction
Old 04-01-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Bought a few things today at 2 stores. One thing I learned is that the CSR at this store got really pissed at me when I just randomly selected an item just to figure out the "value" of the coupon. Made 2 orders in the media section and one in the Customer Service aisle. I went to another store and bought 1 bluray and did a ship to home order. I would have did another ship to home order in the CS section but the lazy bastard working there tried to send me back to the DVD section from where I already used both coupons and he'd probably get suspicious if I tried it again.

Anyway the haul (all blu)

Sweet Smell of Success ($16.19 + tax)
Run Lola Run (total $6.59)
Inferno ($12.90+ tax)
Videodrome ($16.19 + tax)
Deep Red ($12.90 + tax)

Might go back to make a few non dvd purchases. Anyway I learned from slickdeals that you can actually pay for ship to home purchases at the cafe. That tidbit will come in handy in case I run into cashiers that already know the value of the coupon.

Random observation: most people who go to bn don't actually know or use coupons that much. The guy in front of me was purchasing this $60 Jimi Hendrix dvd and I'm pretty sure he thought it was too expensive. I almost gave him one of my extra 50% off coupons.
Old 04-01-11, 01:29 AM

Disappointed that I couldn't get some 50% off online codes (got a 15% and a 10%, as I really only need 2 for Veronique and Au Revoir Les Enfants), as I hear the coupons are apparently iffy and not to mention its an hour long drive, traffic permitting. Then the fact both my B&Ns are bad about coupons anyways (especially when it comes to using them on Criterions or other high priced dvd/blu sets, given so much abuse in the past). Ah well, I guess I can wait until July's sale or hope for B2G1Free or something smilar on all DVD/Blu again.
Old 04-01-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoshuaSokolov
Disappointed that I couldn't get some 50% off online codes.
Me too. I got a 15%, which I used, but I wanted that 50% so bad! I had plans, plans I tell ya! My closest B&N is 1.5 hours away. It's great to have no sales tax, but geeze on the no B&N stores!
Old 04-01-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel bad for you guys who have Barnes & Noble so far away. Mine is literally a 5-minute walk from my apartment. But I am moving soon, and the closest one to my new place is 45-minutes away, so guess I'll be joining in your complaints during the next sale.
Old 04-01-11, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

My B&N would not do a ship to Home using the coupon

Anyway, I went back after work and bought three more Blu-Rays for $8.09 + tax each:

Network
Soylent Green
Five Corners
Old 04-01-11, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So will BN do a ship to home order if the DVD I want is in stock at the store? And why do I need to order from the customer service desk and not the DVD section? Thanks, I'm somewhat confused on this.
Old 04-01-11, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
So will BN do a ship to home order if the DVD I want is in stock at the store? And why do I need to order from the customer service desk and not the DVD section? Thanks, I'm somewhat confused on this.
As mentioned, probably not.

You can do ship-to-home orders at either Customer Service or the Media department.
Old 04-01-11, 07:10 AM

Has anyone bought two TV shows priced at $39.99 used two 50% coupons and got the 50% from the Buy 1, Get 1 at 50% promotion?

My experience so far:

Made two separate transactions. Got Stand By Me for $11.94 and Top Gear: Complete Season 14 and 15 for $23.65.

Total member savings: $30.85.

Will be making another trip to a different Barnes & Noble after work tomorrow.
Cashier kind of stared at the coupons for a while. Then he said there's nothing that stated I can't use both the member and non-member one together. Typed it both coupons, swiped my card, transaction one done. I handed him the next movie with the coupon, he typed in the coupon, swiped my card, second transaction done.

I thanked him numerous times and he said no problem. He couldn't have been much younger or older then me.

I am really thinking about picking up four seasons of Mad Men tomorrow at a different Barnes & Noble. Stacking these coupons on top of the "Buy 1, Get 1 at 50%" in addition to my membership discount should make for another slick deal.
Old 04-01-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
And why do I need to order from the customer service desk and not the DVD section? Thanks, I'm somewhat confused on this.
You don't NEED to. But if you want to use multiple coupons, you may get shot down doing everything in the media department. So I buy in-stock items in the media dept, then do my Ship to Home orders at CS.
Old 04-01-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by izatright
Me too. I got a 15%, which I used, but I wanted that 50% so bad! I had plans, plans I tell ya! My closest B&N is 1.5 hours away. It's great to have no sales tax, but geeze on the no B&N stores!
Holy crap! I can't believe you don't have any closer stores! That really blows... It sounds like you have to drive all the way to Portland!
Old 04-01-11, 08:03 AM
Duplicate accounts are verboten

..picked up "topsy turvy" using the 50% off coupon...great deal..
Old 04-01-11, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by someonetotalk
Thank you MR. kenbenobi!
That's COLONEL Kenbenobi to you, Private!
Old 04-01-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by h21z
gonna try getting Tron 5 disc mail to home option tomorrow. 1st time trying this. So i just print out coupon 502001 and have them scan it? would it work with just one item?
Yup! Pre-orders like Tron are always YMMV, but I think it works more often than not, especially since Tron comes out next week.
Old 04-01-11, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaSokolov
Disappointed that I couldn't get some 50% off online codes.
Add me to that list. My B&N is a good 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic, so I've missed out on two of these deals now. Sigh...
Old 04-01-11, 09:05 AM

I think I will go to a different store after work. Really not sure what to get, but I am thinking about The Double Life of Véronique and House for $34.40, and for my second transaction, An Affair to Remember and 4 Way Street [Expanded] by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young for $31.06.

Criterions rarely decrease in price, An Affair to Remember is a digibook so that won't decrease anytime soon, and 4 Way Street is an excellent album which is selling for almost $10 more on Amazon. I've been listening to the vinyl version lately and I am really enjoying it.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I don't want to go too crazy

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.