Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

General Costco DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecthelion
I was in my local Costco today, and I didn't see the X-Files collection. In fact, of all the (soon to be) $120 box sets the only one I saw was the Ford at Fox one. I didn't scour the DVD section, but I don't see how large box sets like these ones could have been hiding in there.

I'll check the Costco near my workplace on Monday (when the coupon starts), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll have it. If not, I guess I'll be out a fancy new box set, but keep my $120. :P
Make sure you look everywhere in the DVD section. My store had the Ford and 007 sets together on the movie side and the Stargate and X-Files sets on the TV shows side.

Anyone think that the Sopranos and Deadwood are going to go on sale soon? My store got a restock of Sopranos Seasons 1-6.2 and Deadwood 1-3.
Old 06-02-08, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Make sure you look everywhere in the DVD section. My store had the Ford and 007 sets together on the movie side and the Stargate and X-Files sets on the TV shows side.
I went to the Costco near my office today, and they has all the boxsets helpfully stacked together on the end of the DVD table. I think I saw all of them except the Ford set (but I might have simply missed it). I didn't pick up the X-Files set though... I'm still debating whether to get it. I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm not decided yet.
Old 06-02-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I'll be interested to see how much they're selling the Dirty Harry box set for. I'm guessing it'll be $49.99, but hopefully it's less than Target.
Old 06-02-08, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

Someone mentioned seeing the 10 film Universal scifi set at Costco - anyone noticed the price?
Old 06-02-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
I went to the Costco near my office today, and they has all the boxsets helpfully stacked together on the end of the DVD table. I think I saw all of them except the Ford set (but I might have simply missed it). I didn't pick up the X-Files set though... I'm still debating whether to get it. I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm not decided yet.
Since you can always return it , even if opened, I would buy it and then decide if you want to keep it. I would guess when stock runs out these will be gone as I believe for example the Ford at Fox set is now OP.
I think except for CT, Costco charges tax on the price before the coupon.
Since these are discounted $60, the tax on these will appear substantial.

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-02-08 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 02:36 PM
Cool New Member

2 Vouchers in $120 universal sets

A round sticker appears on the Universal sets on sale for $120:

INSIDE!
2 MOVIE
THEATER
VOUCHERS*
*Up to $8.50 off admission for each voucher.
Offer valid June 3-August 31, 2008.
Valid at participating theaters.
See Voucher for details.

This is what was on the voucher inside the X-Files box set.

Two vouchers are printed on one 8.5"X11" sheet.

On the part of the sheet that is NOT either voucher:

REDEEM FOR ANY MOVIE, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!

This complementary certificate is accepted virtually everywhere nationwide.
Log on to find aparticipating theater near you.

www. hollywoodmoviemoney.com

MGM and 20th Century Fox logos.

Voucher:
ADMIT ONE adult matinee or child
(Valid for one adult matinee or child admission up to $8.50)
EXPIRES AUGUST 31, 2008
See reverse for restrictions.

HOLLYWOOD MOVIE MONEY

PROMO CODE 32993

(Reverse)
RESTRICTIONS: A. Certificate are valid at participating theaters for $8.50 off one adult matinee or child admission any exhibition, including those designated as "No coupons, no passes" in local listing guides. B. if lost, cannot be replaced. Void if resold. C. No reproductions will be accepted. D. Cash value 1/100th of one cent. E. No change will be provided to the customer.

Last edited by dcloye; 06-02-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Costco is either slow, slow on putting stuff out, or just gets stuff later than then rest, but they finally received the Marx Bros set that was discussed earlier in this thread. I picked one up a few days back. Now I own both the Silver Screen set and the green set. Great price for the green one. They were out of most of the other sets, though they had a couple of John Ford sets.
Old 06-02-08, 04:46 PM

is there movie money in the Stargate set?
Old 06-02-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I picked up my Ford at Fox set today. I was glad to see the movie money as well. However, make sure the sticker is on the front. They had a cardboard stand at one end with all the box sets with movie money. But then they also had some sets mixed with the regular assortment of dvd's without the sticker on the front. I'm assuming those are older sets without the money, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 06-03-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I saw all of them except the Ford set (but I might have simply missed it).
If it was there you couldn't have missed it - a huge black box with Ford at Fox across the top - mine didn't have any so it could be yours didn't either.
Old 06-03-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimSaupe
Someone mentioned seeing the 10 film Universal scifi set at Costco - anyone noticed the price?
This one wasn't at any of our three Costcos.
Old 06-03-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkb
If it was there you couldn't have missed it - a huge black box with Ford at Fox across the top - mine didn't have any so it could be yours didn't either.
At the Norwalk CT store the Ford sets were under the counter instead of on display with the X files, Stargate, and Bond sets. They also had one or two of the UA 30 movie sets. I took one of the Ford sets out from under the counter and put it on display.

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-03-08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Since you can always return it , even if opened, I would buy it and then decide if you want to keep it.
I forgot about that. I've only been a Costco member for about 5 months, but my mom's had a membership for years. On several occasions she's told me that she returned things which broke years after she bought them. Maybe I'll take advantage of their generous return policy one of these days, but I have a feeling I'll hang on to the X-Files set. I picked it up today.

As someone else mentioned, it includes 2 movie ticket vouchers (not sure about the other sets), so that basically brought the price down $17. :P

I think except for CT, Costco charges tax on the price before the coupon.
Since these are discounted $60, the tax on these will appear substantial.
Sure enough, mine was pre-coupon as well. Since I only bought the X-Files set (and some Q-Tips), it was only a $3 difference though - $9.42 instead of $6.42.

Originally Posted by dmkb
At my local Costco, they had some of the box sets in cardboard display boxes under the tables (it looked like they put them there as overstock, and forgot to make sure all of the sets were on the table). I saw the X-Files and Bond sets there, and since I was only interested in the X-Files one, I didn't look for any others. I'm glad I happened to peek down there, or I wouldn't have found this set.

Oh, and I didn't expect it to be so heavy! Now I definitely believe reports of the "extras" tray breaking under the weight of the DVDs.

Last edited by Ecthelion; 06-03-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by hiccup
is there movie money in the Stargate set?
Yes, there is - I bought it yesterday. Just make sure the round sticker is on the front.
Old 06-03-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you can always return it , even if opened, I would buy it and then decide if you want to keep it.
I thought that they changed this policy for DVDs.
Old 06-03-08, 02:07 PM

Anybody see the new Dirty Harry set at their Costco and, if so, for what price? Thanks.
Old 06-03-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
Anybody see the new Dirty Harry set at their Costco and, if so, for what price? Thanks.
It was there, but I don't remember what price it was. $49.99 I think.
Old 06-03-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if this was already mentioned, but at mine they now have a Blu-Ray bundle consisting of the Spider-Man trilogy, Hellboy, Underworld, Underworld: Evolution and Ghost Rider for $129.99 ($18.57 per movie).

Also, I took up POTC1 (BD) to buy for $25.99 and the register automatically took $6 off. Don't know if this is for all Disney/Buena Vista titles, but I would assume so. Mine also had The Prestige, Gone in 60 Seconds, POTC 2, Chronicles of Narnia and probably a couple others.
Old 06-03-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Also, I took up POTC1 (BD) to buy for $25.99 and the register automatically took $6 off. Don't know if this is for all Disney/Buena Vista titles, but I would assume so. Mine also had The Prestige, Gone in 60 Seconds, POTC 2, Chronicles of Narnia and probably a couple others.
If the item number is the same as the one for POTC1, then the $6 will come off. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-03-08, 09:27 PM

Okay, just took the plunge and bought X-Files. This is one of those times when it's a great deal, but still a lot of money. I'm second guessing this purchase, but what the hey...

Also saw an assortment of $16.99 Fox box sets, including the new John Wayne 4-pack with the new "Big Trail" in it. Also had the X-Men trilogy, the Fox McQueen set, and more.

There was a new $8.99 WB assortment, with Brannagh's "Hamlet", "Color Purple", and more.

There was another Fox box set assortment, these were all $12.99, including the Baz Luhrmann trilogy, a family 4-film assortment, and a few others.
Old 06-03-08, 10:49 PM

I got the X Files set for 120. and also Midnight Cowboy 2 disc for 9.99
Old 06-03-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JiM T
Okay, just took the plunge and bought X-Files. This is one of those times when it's a great deal, but still a lot of money. I'm second guessing this purchase, but what the hey...
It's an awesome deal so enjoy it! I paid $80 a season back in the day from a store north of the border. Does anyone remember Total Action Universe?
Old 06-03-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JiM T

Also saw an assortment of $16.99 Fox box sets, including the new John Wayne 4-pack with the new "Big Trail" in it. Also had the X-Men trilogy, the Fox McQueen set, and more.
Yeah, mine had those plus a Chuck Norris set for $16.99. It had all three Missing in Action films and both Delta Force movies.
Old 06-04-08, 01:37 AM

I picked up the new Dirty Harry Collection at our Costco in the Bay Area, California. The cost of the set was $49.99. My particular Costco had an ample supply of this collection.
Old 06-04-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I just picked up the X-Files set last night. I had bought all the seasons back in the day for $60 - $90 each, then sold them for about $40 each at the beginning of last year. $120 is just too good a deal to not add them back to my collection, especially considering the new movie will probably have me wanting to go back and watch episodes of the show. For any Indy members, the Castleton store had about 15 X-Files sets left, though about 2/3's must've been Canadian as they had English and French on the box. There were about 10 each of Stargate and Bond and 3 or 4 of the Universal sets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.