Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

what happened to Thursdays' FYE B1G1 Sale?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I remembered someone saying there was going to be a massive TV set B1G1 sale at FYE starting Thursday (yesterday). I haven't had a chance to go to my local store.. Does anybody know if this is going on and what titles are up for sale? I may make a special trip depending...

Thanks!
Old 11-09-07, 05:42 PM
Cool New Member

The massive B1G1 free sales starts Thanksgiving weekend. It's part of their Black Friday.
Old 11-09-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by monkstah
The massive B1G1 free sales starts Thanksgiving weekend. It's part of their Black Friday.
It started yesterday Thursday the 8th.
Old 11-09-07, 06:12 PM
Cool New Member

My bad then. I know that they have it heavily listed on their FYE BF ad, so I assumed it started then. This is better news for me now, means I can go tomorrow, drop some DVDs off and get the tv sets without crowds and such.
Old 11-10-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Went in on Thursday to trade in some DVDs. While waiting I turned around and the B1G1 display was right behind me. Got Simpsons 10 and Family Guy 5.
Old 11-10-07, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Went in on Thursday to trade in some DVDs. While waiting I turned around and the B1G1 display was right behind me. Got Simpsons 10 and Family Guy 5.
how much are the season sets those? Like is simpsons $50 or something, to make up for getting another set free? I know their prices are usually pretty insane.
Old 11-10-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so far the pricing is close to retail, with some excpetions of $5 to $10 off.

Takes up nine pages in our period planner, started thursday runs through black friday weekend at least and includes over 300 titles.
Old 11-10-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by riderjeff
how much are the season sets those? Like is simpsons $50 or something, to make up for getting another set free? I know their prices are usually pretty insane.
They were pretty much retail. $50 for Simpsons and $40 for Family Guy. I was trading in so went for it.
Old 11-10-07, 11:05 AM

In this Sunday's paper there is a coupon for FYE and you get an extra 10% off the Buy 1 Get 1 Free TV on DVD sale.

Coupon expires 11/17/07
There is a coupon code on the coupon of COOPBOGO
Old 11-10-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hope dvdplanet does something like this
Old 11-10-07, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
They were pretty much retail. $50 for Simpsons and $40 for Family Guy. I was trading in so went for it.
Wouldn't it have been more effective to buy both of these down at say, Walmart and "saved" the trade-in value for a different DVD set that's priced relative the same to another retailer. Otherwise it just seems like you're just "giving away" your trade in DVDs?

(Walmart) Family Guy Volume 5- $29.88
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6395745

(Walmart) Simpsons Season 10 - $33.87
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6498141
Old 11-10-07, 01:07 PM

Just got back from checking out my local FYE (Miami).

Total disaster and waste of time.

There are signs up all over the store saying "Box Sets: Buy 1 Get 1 Free" and under is simply says "Selected Titles". Well, the store wont allow you to know what the "selected titles" are. They have a small table set up (maybe 20 box sets, half of which are Gary Cooper or Bill Pullman type collections), and otherwise the manager was simply telling me to take whatever I wanted to the front and make the line. According to her, I will find out if it qualifies when they ring me up at the register. Absurd.

Some other factors that made it particularly irritating:

- the had a B1G1 sign right in between How I Met Your Mother S1 and S2, and of course they turned me down for that specific set, and
- the prices sucked. Even if the deal had been given to me, I would have only saved $2 or $3 from the prices found at amazon or during BB sales.

Don't waste your time.
Old 11-10-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LongOdds
- the had a B1G1 sign right in between How I Met Your Mother S1 and S2, and of course they turned me down for that specific set, and
- the prices sucked. Even if the deal had been given to me, I would have only saved $2 or $3 from the prices found at amazon or during BB sales.
Went to my local FYE today - they had a table with about 20-30 sets (mainly TV, some movies) with Buy 1, Get 1 Free stickers on them. HIMYM S1 was one of them. Got that and the FYE-exclusive Hogan Knows Best S1-3 set, both stickered at $39.99 (although the Hogan set rang up at $69.99 but she correctd it), so walked out with both for $40 plus tax. Not bad.
Old 11-10-07, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by LongOdds
Just got back from checking out my local FYE (Miami).

Total disaster and waste of time.

There are signs up all over the store saying "Box Sets: Buy 1 Get 1 Free" and under is simply says "Selected Titles". Well, the store wont allow you to know what the "selected titles" are. They have a small table set up (maybe 20 box sets, half of which are Gary Cooper or Bill Pullman type collections), and otherwise the manager was simply telling me to take whatever I wanted to the front and make the line. According to her, I will find out if it qualifies when they ring me up at the register. Absurd.

Some other factors that made it particularly irritating:

Don't waste your time.
Agreed. I had asked what titles were on sale, in addition to the 20ish ones on the table, and the guys responded with "only the titles on the table." I clearly knew he was incorrect, but was not going to fight it as he clearly didn't seem interested in helping me out.
Old 11-11-07, 05:30 PM

just got back from FYE's. Yeesh.. about 20 box sets and most at list. the discounted ones were less the 10% ($60 down to $55). Even at B1G1 it is still more expensive than DDD without a coupon...
Old 11-11-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm consistently amazed by my fye mgmt peers and the complete lack of care or service that you all report here all the time.

At my store, we have dozens of copies of the list printed out and available for customers to look at. Why? Well, because we would like to get some sales! How strange. Seems to me that a huge majority of these folks don't give a rats ass about sales or loyalty, and they should all be fired.

If there was some method of posting the list without retyping it, I'd be happy to. However, it won't include prices as they vary between price tables.
Old 11-12-07, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by db27
I'm consistently amazed by my fye mgmt peers and the complete lack of care or service that you all report here all the time.

At my store, we have dozens of copies of the list printed out and available for customers to look at. Why? Well, because we would like to get some sales! How strange. Seems to me that a huge majority of these folks don't give a rats ass about sales or loyalty, and they should all be fired.

If there was some method of posting the list without retyping it, I'd be happy to. However, it won't include prices as they vary between price tables.
Yeah, it's weird too, because I've shopped at more than one FYE, and they all have the same attitude. The only way to get the list up without typing would be to scan it on, but I doubt that is possible. Thanks for your help. If only you could show other FYE's how to run a store effectively.
Old 11-13-07, 08:36 PM

well, was at my local FYE's tonight and they had an entire wall of B1G1 box sets. Very organized and lots of selection. However, all were at list. average $60/set.. so B1G1 = $30 a set which is not much of a sale for me....

but at least it was very clear what was on sale.