Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

KINO Sale at Deepdiscount.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
Are the Wong Kar Wai DVDs good quality, or are there better in other regions? I want that Fallen Angels.
A better transfer of Fallen Angels was just released actually, in a set with Chungking Express.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/22206.html
Old 03-02-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
buy the wong kar wai set. I bought it in august and it was 50% off it's a great set. any other recommendations ?
it's also a great price for the Kieslowski set.
Old 03-02-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
I really want to go in for the Haneke titles, but I can't help but feel like they will be in a box soon with a price point closer to the Film Noir set...
I'm waiting for a box set as well.....hopefully it happens or I am waiting for nothing, lol.
Old 03-02-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I will stay away from the haneke due to the quality.
what's wrong with them? I've not heard anything....
Old 03-02-07, 02:16 PM
TRC

I see a couple different versions of Nosferatu listed. Is Kino's Nosferatu the best version available in R1?
Old 03-02-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
what's wrong with them? I've not heard anything....

They are direct PAL-NTSC ports.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?id=20819

More than six months ago a massive boxset containing some of Michael Haneke's early films (including the now notorious Benny's Video) was released in France but unfortunately for those needing English subs the collection did not offer such. Shortly after KINO Video announced their plans to release the same films in R1 land. So, what I have in my hands is the first disc of the collection and I have to (regretfully) announce that this is indeed a direct, improperly converted, copy of the French release with added English subtitles. The transfers from the boxset for all of the Haneke upcoming R1 releases (which I will have reviews for shortly) are identical to the French versions which is not necessarily a bad thing, quite the opposite in fact, but in a well familiar fashion KINO have simply performed a direct PAL-NTSC port of Funny Games and as a result there is a good dose of "ghosting" to be seen. Aside from that from color gradation to contrast everything else in this release appears exactly the same as the French version of Funny Games. The print herein provided is in very good condition and there is simply no basis for comparison between the old Koch Lorber disc and this new French-ported version. Unfortunately no matter how good it looks it still remains a PAL-NTSC port and all of the issues that come with such a transfer are quite visibly represented here. Funny Games is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and enhanced for widescreen TV's.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?id=21181

Presented in an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and enhanced for widescreen TV's Benny's Video has been mastered in a similar manner Funny Games was. While the film's print is largely in a very good condition and the original source must have been quite satisfying this also appears to be a PAL-NTSC port. This it quite a disappointing occurrence to say the least but indeed an expected one! Ignoring the fact that Benny's Video is a PAL-port everything else in this presentation is rather well handled - contrast appears at a satisfactory level, detail is quite good considering how the film was shot, and colors appear rather acceptable. However, it has to be noted that a direct comparison between the French release and this R1 release indicates that the colors appear slightly less vivid which I am willing to accept is a product of the actual format conversion. Indeed, I am quite disappointed as this could have been a must better release that we at DVDTALK should have been able to recommend to viewers as Kino's disc is indeed the only English-friendly version of Haneke's film at this point.
Old 03-02-07, 03:16 PM

I empathise with anyone who has a prejudice against the transfers of the Haneke titles. However, the odds of these being re-released in a different form from any other distributor are pretty well zero, I'd guess, with the possible exception of Funny Games, as a possible tie-in to the forthcoming American remake.

Still, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 03-02-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
I empathise with anyone who has a prejudice against the transfers of the Haneke titles. However, the odds of these being re-released in a different form from any other distributor are pretty well zero, I'd guess, with the possible exception of Funny Games, as a possible tie-in to the forthcoming American remake.

Still, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I went ahead and bought them anyway.
For $14 and change a pop I do not think they will go any lower than that.
Old 03-02-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DVD Planet has at least one title that is not carried by DDD: EAST SIDE STORY (the communist musical documentary)
Old 03-02-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The pic of the Art of Buster Keaton set on DvdPlanet looks like the older, fat cased-set. Where are the slims?
Old 03-02-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Tarkovsky collection is woefully underdeveloped, so I'm strongly considering "Stalker"... Any opinions on the DVD?

"Asphalt", "It", "The Man Who Laughs", "The House By the River", "Mother and Son", and "Scarlet Street" are also looking quite tempting.

I highly recommend "The Return" for anyone who's a fan of Russian cinema.

-Grandpa

Last edited by Sondheim; 03-02-07 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-02-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Stalker is pretty great. I've seen it twice, and I just ordered it as part of this sale, in fact. I find that it held up well upon my second viewing and stays with you long after you see it.

It's haunting and strange, and despite its gloomy overtones, it is a very beautiful film. I should warn you, however, it makes Solaris seem fast paced by comparison.
Old 03-03-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Asphalt", "It", "The Man Who Laughs", "The House By the River", "Mother and Son", and "Scarlet Street" are also looking quite tempting.
House by the River is a decent gothic-noir, but not one of Lang's best. Scarlet Street, on the other hand, is. Maybe Lang's best American film, and one of the top five noirs.
Old 03-03-07, 09:38 AM
Defunct Account

I love both Stalker and The Return. Both are fantastic films and if you liked one, I'd recommend the other.

Any opinions on Tarkovsky's The Mirror?
Old 03-03-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Mirror is very dense, complicated stuff, but really pretty amazing. One of the most personal of Tarkovsky films, and it works on lots of different levels.

As far as this current Kino sale goes, though, the Ruskie film I'm really jonesing for -- and that I wish DVDPlanet would hurry up and list -- is QUIET FLOWS THE DON...
Old 03-04-07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
it's also a great price for the Kieslowski set.
FWIW, according to DVDCompare.net a couple of titles in this set, e.g., Blind Chance, have incorrect OAR.

Last edited by cine; 03-05-07 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cgray
The pic of the Art of Buster Keaton set on DvdPlanet looks like the older, fat cased-set. Where are the slims?
I finally ordered the set as well. Even though the picture indicated the fat-cased set, I figured it was just an old picture. I haven't seen the fatties in stores for awhile (at least the ones with any type of turnover). Either way, great deal with GCO. I wouldn't turn it down based on girth.

I'd definitely recommend Stalker. My favorite of Tarkovsky. I have a disc I bought from Ruscico a few years ago. The transfer has some minor issues (nothing that makes it unwatchable), but I was just glad to have it (and at a much higher price too!). I don't know if the Kino disc is the same. The cover is certainly identical. Can't go wrong with Stalker.
Old 03-04-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For those interested, here is a review of the Kino Stalker DVD

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=8970
Old 03-04-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVD Talk review of STALKER offers more information in comparing this Kino version to previous R1 (or R0) releases:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24292

According to DVD Beaver, most of the transfers have the same problems (aside from the PAL issues for the NTSC releases)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/stalker3.htm
Old 03-05-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Stalker is a great film, but yes the DVD has some major issues with regards to its mastering onto DVD. I sold my region 1 and bought the region 2, but it still has the same problems....objects in the picture seem to be swimming around whenever the camera moves.
Old 03-05-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TRC
I see a couple different versions of Nosferatu listed. Is Kino's Nosferatu the best version available in R1?
Might check this out:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=857

There is also German Horror Classics: Nosferatu/ Dr. Caligari/ The Golem/ Waxworks from KINO which is selling for around $35. It is normally $10-15 more than that. I got that set because I want a good copy of the first two movies and would not mind seeing the latter two. The KINO may not be the best, but it is one of the better versions of Nosferatu from my research. (I got mine from DVDPlanet, not DD)

http://www.dvdplanet.com/details.cfm?info=KIN02572DVD
Old 03-05-07, 11:18 AM

I remember from the last sale I picked up 3 boxsets and some singles, and this was right after the 20% off sale which I kind of hurt. I picked up the Miike film trilogy boxset (Dead or Alive Trilogy), the Fritz Lang Epic Collection boxset, and the German Horror boxset. It's definitely worth it to go after the boxsets because they generally will have what you want or are after plus a one or two other films that will still be cheap. That's the reason I got the German Horror set. I wanted Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and so at that price point it was a no brain just to pay up a bit for the set. Same thing with the Fritz Lang box set (probably their best boxset ever) in which it had Die Nebullung, Woman in the Moon, and the classic Metropolis which most will just buy the single of.
Old 03-05-07, 11:24 AM

Quick question for all of my fellow DVDTalkers that may know, is or isn't the Wong Kar-Wai set going to be rereleased? From my understanding of the last sale, I thought that we had agreed on the consensus thought that Criterion would be rereleasing them soon or was I misinformed?
Old 03-05-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Stalker is a great film, but yes the DVD has some major issues with regards to its mastering onto DVD. I sold my region 1 and bought the region 2, but it still has the same problems....objects in the picture seem to be swimming around whenever the camera moves.
As weird as this sounds, it's kind of a neat effect
Old 03-06-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
As weird as this sounds, it's kind of a neat effect
You know, if I hadn't seen the film before, I would have thought that it was supposed to look that way...it does look very different, but I don't think Tarkovsky wanted the walls to move around so much

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.