Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Life Aquatic Criterion Collection 2-Disc Set $14.99 - Border's YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Life Aquatic Criterion Collection 2-Disc Set $14.99 - Border's YMMV

I was just at Border's today trying to find the Munich 2-Disc LE when I came across this deal. On one of their racks there was a Criterion 1-Disc of Life Aquatic, but hoping that I would get lucky and that the 2-disc would be mislabeled; I asked if they had it. I was shocked to find out that they still had it, and only one copy left to boot. I had them check in the computer if it was indeed $14.99, which it was. Even when I got to the cashier she was shocked that it was that price since it wasn't ringing up in the computer that way, so she called up the Manager, which checked and again it was indeed this price. The cheapest I've seen this movie is $22.49 at DeepDiscountDVD (pre 20%), and at Amazon it's the regular price of $32.99. But again, when you go to Border's be sure to look for the 2-disc specifically as they both look very similar. This deal seems to be similar to their pricing for Dr. Strangelove SE for $14.99. I'm not sure how long this deal will last.

Posted this over at CAG.com, so I'll post it here as well. First deal post here and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before or if this in truth a good deal. i think it is, so here it is.
Old 05-28-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question:
Did they type the numbers in at any point or ONLY scan?
It's possible it was actually just mis-stickered (which would make it an extreme YMMV, just to warn people)
Old 05-28-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.bordersstores.com should give you a rough idea of your local store's inventory, incidentally (ALL the stores around here have it, but do not list the sale price--but we don't list sale prices online most of the time anyway in case they ARE localized)
Old 05-28-06, 11:15 PM

could be mis-priced. i got a Criterion Life of Brian priced at 12.99 at Borders last month, which was the price of the bare bones version they had next to it.
Old 05-29-06, 12:32 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
It is a buena vista criterion. They seem to price the movies they license to criterion. For example other buena vista titles saw similar price drops which this could be the sign of.
Old 05-29-06, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Question:
Did they type the numbers in at any point or ONLY scan?
It's possible it was actually just mis-stickered (which would make it an extreme YMMV, just to warn people)
That was what my first inclination was to the deal, but I had them check the price of it twice in their computer and it both the single and two-disc versions came up as $14.99. When I came to the register though, it didn't ring up properly so the cashier phoned for the manager who checked on it herself and came to the same price conclusion. All I can say is take it as you will and that's why I put the YMMV. But it's worth a shot that even if they mistagged your store's 2-disc version than they'd have to sell it to you, or at least that's what the manager told me.
Old 05-29-06, 12:54 AM

Uughh...I should have proofread my last post a bit before posting it. Yaeh, like I said at the end, if they did mistag (and this is in fact a misprice) your Border's Life Aquatic 2-disc at $14.99 than they would have to sell it to you, but fix the other ones with the mistake. Still, I'm pretty sure that this deal is legitimately supposed to be $14.99.
Old 05-29-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they looked it up, that's fairly definitive, but I should rather mention that in fact sometimes the computers in one store are not as up to date as another (I've run across this myself with a few films that I tried to get from a store not my own; prices were somehow different on a few (admittedly unpopular/"obscure" titles))
Old 05-29-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have seen these used at Hastings for about $4.99.
Old 05-29-06, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I have seen these used at Hastings for about $4.99.
The 2-disc or the 1-disc? The 1-disc is pretty standard at BBV etc., but not the 2-disc.
Old 05-29-06, 09:33 PM

Remember that the Buy 3 and Get 1 Free is going on. So that can make it ever better.
Old 05-29-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Circuit City has the 2-disc for $14.99 as well.