Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Virgin MegaStore - Dallas - Mockingbird Closing

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 05-26-06, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Dallas, the Virgin Megastore at Mockingbird and 75 (Mockingbird Station area) is closing. I just went by today and saw that they are at 50%, went in and got a few things. They still have a fair amount of stock and still have a fair amount of books, mostly the graphic novels Marvel, DC and music biographies.

Don't know when they are closing, but hope to get back next week sometime, maybe late in the week.
Old 05-27-06, 05:39 AM

It will close for good on June 18, and from Channel 8

Dallas' Virgin Megastore closing
Furniture retailer will take over space at Mockingbird Station

09:58 PM CDT on Monday, May 1, 2006
By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

One of Dallas' big-name music and video outlets is closing to make way for a new home furnishings store.

The Virgin Megastore at Mockingbird Station will close next month to be replaced by a West Elm store.

The Virgin entertainment store has been an anchor in the complex on North Central Expressway since Mockingbird Station opened in 2000.

But the store recently announced to customers that it is shutting and has started a liquidation sale.

Brokers with United Commercial Realty – which leases retail space in Mockingbird Station – said they have a deal in the works to replace the 25,000-square-foot Virgin store with Dallas' first West Elm location. "We knew that Virgin was leaving, so we've been hunting a replacement," said broker Brandon Harris.

Indeed, Mockingbird Station's owners requested that Virgin depart earlier than planned to make way for the new store.

A spokeswoman for Virgin did not return calls. The company still has a location at Grapevine Mills mall.

Industry trends have made business tough for traditional music stores like Virgin.

CD sales are down as digital music downloads become more popular. And big retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Best Buy Inc. are taking customers away from specialized retailers such as Virgin, said Russ Crupnick, an analyst with NPD Group.

"Music buyers are shopping in more places," he said. "The loyalty to any one retailer is declining."

West Elm is owned by Williams-Sonoma Inc. and got its start in 2002.

The home furnishing and accessories firm has more than a dozen U.S. stores, including one in Houston.

Brokers say that the Mockingbird Station location is set to open this fall
Old 05-27-06, 10:37 AM

Thanks Evad. Missed this completely, just happening to go by there and saw it. Also explains the West Elm banner I saw. And thanks for the closing date too.
Old 05-27-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With this store closing and also the one in Miami, does anyone know if any other stores are closing as well? There's one here in Orlando at Downtown Disney, and I doubt that one's closing, but if it is, I'd like to get a headsup on that.
Old 05-27-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That would be good to know if other stores are closing as there is big one near me too..in Southern CAlif
Old 05-27-06, 07:44 PM

Some things weren't great deals even with 50% off, but I picked up Undeclared for $25 and a couple of CDs. The Criterions were pretty much gone, and so were most of the box sets. Not a great haul, but I'm satisfied.
Old 05-27-06, 09:59 PM

Well, for a B&M 50% off new CD's is about the best you can get except when Circuit City has their several times a year, $10, $9.77, etc. CD sale or out-of-business sale.
Old 05-30-06, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the heads up, OP. I went today and there's still a large selection of CDs and a fair amount of DVDs left. I picked up Unfaithfully Yours (Criterion) and One From the Heart (2-disc) for 15 bucks each and a few CDs. The only Criterion I noticed left was The 39 Steps (2 copies).
Old 06-02-06, 03:43 PM

They had a ton of Criterion The Man Who Fell to Earth. I didn't see Unfaithfully Yours or I would have picked it up! I saw a lot of Undeclared and Freaks and Geeks sets when I went.
Old 06-02-06, 04:09 PM
Cool New Member

Heh, I would have bought The Man Who Fell To Earth instead of Unfaithfully Yours if I had seen that. Ravid, Suncoast at Town East Mall in Mesquite had Unfaithfully Yours Criterion a couple weeks back when I went there. Forumsmy said they went to 50% off recently, so you can get the same deal if it's still at the store. They also had Spartacus, An Angel at My Table, Hopscotch, and Heaven Can Wait Criterions in stock.

I may go back for The Man Who Fell to Earth DVD and will report if I notice any other good deals.

Last edited by mattress_man; 06-02-06 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mattress_man
Heh, I would have bought The Man Who Fell To Earth instead of Unfaithfully Yours if I had seen that. Ravid, Suncoast at Town East Mall in Mesquite had Unfaithfully Yours Criterion a couple weeks back when I went there. Forumsmy said they went to 50% off recently, so you can get the same deal if it's still at the store. They also had Spartacus, An Angel at My Table, Hopscotch, and Heaven Can Wait Criterions in stock.

I may go back for The Man Who Fell to Earth DVD and will report if I notice any other good deals.
I went earlier this week (Monday) to Town East and they are really getting bare !

Still at 50%, am hoping maybe this weekend they will go 60% since been I think a couple weeks at 50%.

Also the Hulen Mall (Ft Worth) Suncoast is going out too. Might head there this weekend. Maybe a quick call to see if they are at 60%.

Last edited by forumsmy; 06-02-06 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattress_man
Ravid, Suncoast at Town East Mall in Mesquite had Unfaithfully Yours Criterion a couple weeks back when I went there. Forumsmy said they went to 50% off recently, so you can get the same deal if it's still at the store. They also had Spartacus, An Angel at My Table, Hopscotch, and Heaven Can Wait Criterions in stock.
I may head out there, thanks. But a few months ago MyPoints sent me a Suncoast gift card with $0 on it and still haven't corrected it

Last edited by Ravid; 06-05-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if any other Virgin's are closing? Specifically the Boston store?
Old 06-06-06, 11:46 AM
Cool New Member

The Virgin megastore near me one day locked it's door's and never opened again. No closeout deals or anything, just simply closed. This was a few months ago.
Old 06-06-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Boston store will close sometime in the future, or will relocate, because I read that some other retailer has taken up the lease. I can't remember the details, so any further info would be helpful.