Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

DDD 20% Off Sale Nov. 11-19 (STARTED ALREADY! GO BUY!)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DDD 20% Off Sale Nov. 11-19 (STARTED ALREADY! GO BUY!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess DDD figures most "experts" like ourselves won't notice the price hikes.
If they only knew. My question to DDD is then what is the point of having that additional 20% sale if are going to hike the prices up to equal the 20% discount or in some cases even higher. Oh well I guess I'll wait until the other sales kick in later this month. My credit card thanks you DDD.
Old 11-10-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lol. 6 pages and the sale hasn't even started yet.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be different here in Canada, but there have been a number of stores that were fined for raising prices for sales whereby the final price after the discount often ended up being more than the original pre-sale price. AFAIK, it was only clothing stores that were fined for doing it, but they definitely were fined though.
DVD Talk Special Edition

black hawk down (3-disc) went from 22 to $29.86. unbelievable. it's more expensive during the 20% off sale (including the 20%) then it was yesterday!
Old 11-10-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is anyone going to try to keep a list of everything bought, like last time? Now is the time to set it up. If everyone posts what they bought I am sure someone will probably keep a running total to see what much DVDTalkers spent.
Old 11-10-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"The Andy Griffith Show: Season One" just went up four bucks in the last hour. By tomorrow, I doubt I'll end up buying much from my wishlist.
Old 11-10-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I was going through my wishlist right after seeing this thread this morning, I have a good idea of what's been increased price-wise on my list. I think we should get a comprehensive list of titles that've been increased. Here's what's gone up on mine:

- Muppet Show S1 (+ $4)
- Batman Complete 1943 Serial (+ $5)
- Mallrats 10th Anniversary (+ $3)

Thankfully the main sets I wanted (i.e. Hitchock Masterpiece Collection) have remained untouched for now. I understand the increase in prices on their part, but it's still somewhat shady.
Old 11-10-05, 01:28 PM
Suspended

even lesser know titles such as Leolo went up a couple dollars, its back up to 10.99
Old 11-10-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is what everyone here should do. If you have anything on your wishlist, or just something you were planning on buying, and the price went up on any of them, just refuse to buy it at DDD. Go ahead and buy some of the other things that didn't go up in price, that's fine.

I can't stand when stores do this. They plan a huge sale, and you get all excited, only to see them actually raise the prices for the sale. A few of the local Ingles stores here do this when they have their DVD sale, and I just refuse to buy any of them that they mark up.

While obviously not illegal, it just seems to me to be undermining and demeaning to their loyal customers. I of course like that DDD has this sale, but I still consider raising prices on certain things, things that weren't just "on sale" beforehand, as a slap in the face.
Old 11-10-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Well I guess I can thank DDD for saving me a lot of money. With all these price hikes, there's no need to bother ordering anything. Who the hell do they think they're kidding with this?
They've just lost about $600.00 worth of my business. I've placed over one-hundred orders with DDD over the past four years. Given them thousands of dollars worth of business. I promote this sale on my own website. (without a sponsor link) I've always championed their integrity as a top notch distro. This is what we get for customer loyalty?? Price increases upward to 100% in some cases, just hours before a 'sale' begins?? I thought sales were supposed to save the customer money?? This is a very poor business practice, and DDD should be ashamed of such a violation of customer trust.
Old 11-10-05, 01:31 PM

I'm not going to get much this sale unlike the summer one. Maybey just one or two things, (if the price is right), seeing as how I have been saving for an X-Box 360.
Old 11-10-05, 01:31 PM

Stupid question but i'm a newbie to this....

Lets say I order 15 dvds, it is wise to order it all at once? Then would it would be shipped in 1 big box? Or is it wiser to break it down? What ya'll do when you order 15+ items?
Old 11-10-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Here is what everyone here should do. If you have anything on your wishlist, or just something you were planning on buying, and the price went up on any of them, just refuse to buy it at DDD.
agreed
Old 11-10-05, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarface83

Lets say I order 15 dvds, it is wise to order it all at once? Then would it would be shipped in 1 big box? Or is it wiser to break it down? What ya'll do when you order 15+ items?
The shipping is free, so costwise...it won't make any difference.
Old 11-10-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
South Park Season 6 went from $26.XX to $35.89 as well.
wow. I noticed that too.

Originally Posted by Scarface83

You can only use each code once. There are normally 10+ codes, so it isn't a huge problem. If you want expediated shipping, obviously one shipment is cheaper than multiple. Assuming you are using free shipping it doesn't really matter.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not going to bother with this sale with all these price increases, it's just not a business practice I feel like supporting. I don't spend quite as much as some people on here, only about $500 a year at DDD on average, so they probably don't care too much whether they lose my business or not, but it will make me feel better at least.
Old 11-10-05, 01:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by hurricane
My question to DDD is then what is the point of having that additional 20% sale if are going to hike the prices up to equal the 20% discount or in some cases even higher.

Have you seen the number of orders and amounts spent during these sales? They make a killing, and probably hope people will blindly buy without noticing the price increases. DDD used to be my go-to site for DVDs, not anymore.

Last edited by THX7966; 11-10-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
The shipping is free, so costwise...it won't make any difference.
.. except they may upgrade the shipping option so that you receive it faster if this is a large order.
Old 11-10-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Battlestar Glactica S1 Go up?
It is $40.69 now...
Old 11-10-05, 01:36 PM

Just scanned my wishlist for price changes, and things don't look to be too bad. Aside from the aforementioned Wrestlemania hike, I'm only seeing a raise in the Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles set back to its original price, so I'm guessing that was just on sale anyway. Amazon had it down to $24 for a while too, but have their price back to normal as well. Those, and the American Pie trilogy set, which went from $18.xx to $21.59 are the only increases I'm seeing so far. Nothing to complain about yet, at least for me.
Old 11-10-05, 01:37 PM

Hmmm.... Almost all of my wishlist went up also... DDD just lost my business... Off to digitaleyes.net where a coupon is still a meaningful coupon. I can't believe they would try something like this...
Old 11-10-05, 01:38 PM

What if the code you put don't work and you got to pay full price?
Old 11-10-05, 01:38 PM

Here's an idea, if anyone at DDD is reading. Is is possible for them to at least honor the prices that people have on their wishlists prior to the sale. In other words, if they want to increase the prices in general, sobeit. But at least honor the prices that folks had in their individual wishlists.

Gary
Old 11-10-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
phew..the one box set I want - Vietnam: A Television History - has remained at its already crazy insane low price of $47.85 - bringing it down to $38 or so after the discount...over %50 off for a pbs doc - one of the best they've ever done, is awesome. Highly Highly recommended. They edited it down to 11 hours for the dvd, but it's still the definitive piece on the war from beginning to end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.