Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The All New Free DVD and Game Rental Trials and Offers

(here's the old thread here)
Old 11-07-05, 10:02 AM

double dips & online rentals??

Originally Posted by ds6161
Ok here goes..
Netflix does not get the SE double dips...
Blockbuster online does.. or at least used to...
I've had Knight's tale, Transporter, Fly 1 & 2, tommy boy, & other SE's in my queue for weeks
if you do a search they don't even show up any more..
anyone knnow whats up???

so does anyone know of another online plase that gets the SE double dips???

thankz
Old 11-14-05, 10:59 AM

bump ..
I have cancelled my BB online account anyone have another rental club to sugest??
Old 12-16-05, 06:05 AM

What about one month free at http://www.familypass.com/? used to be mentura.

Anyone tried yet? Thanks!
Old 12-19-05, 07:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

how has blockbuster been lately with new releases. i tried them when they first came out and they were terrible
Old 12-19-05, 10:08 AM

sabre...
stay away from BB... they changed something ove rthe last 2 months.. I droped them last month... they list every new release as comming soon in queue even 2 weeks after release.. & they no longer get the double dip new SE's the SE's were the main reason I used them....
Old 12-20-05, 07:27 AM

too late. i joined blockbuster. so far they have shipped me only one dvd. even though i am supposed to get 3 out at a time. still have not received the dvd. they seem horrible. not recommended by me. i will update if they improve. for 9.99 plus tax they seemed like a good deal but doesn't look good. 2 in store rentals may be more dvd theyn i received through the mail.
Old 01-05-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It says since I have an account I have to call Customer Care to get my gift membership...bleh...
Old 01-05-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I make a new account would I have to use a different blockbuster membership card?
Old 01-06-06, 07:25 PM

Hey guys.... a few things to share:

1) Anyone use cafedvd.com yet? They look really good as far as options and such and at $20/month for 3.

2) On the BB thing, we hate it. We are waiting so long for rentals now. We are cancelling like now. The free rentals they give are nice..yeah right!

*** WARNING ***
Not all Blockbusters will accept these
Free movie coupon: MOST will not accpet these...

So the "extras" BB gives are muted by the fact that it has to be a corporate owned BB, not franchised....
Old 01-09-06, 05:40 PM

i was with netflix before but i was wondering if i could use the free trial to see hwo it stands against the free month im having with blockbuster now. anyone know how i can do this? i dont wanna shell out 20 bucks
Old 02-02-06, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dguy
What about one month free at http://www.familypass.com/? used to be mentura.

Anyone tried yet? Thanks!
I've had great service with FamilyPass during the trial period and on into regular membership with 3 DVDs out at a time! Perhaps because they ship from Santa Rosa, CA, and I live in San Francisco, I received DVDs lightening fast. Turnaround was amazing! However, as I joined just before Christmas, the Christmas movies had a very long wait time. Only got Polar Express after the holidays!

You have to be aware, too, that this is a Christian family-oriented DVD rental service. There will not be as wide a selection of new releases, and many of the offerings are Christian-based movies, some produced on very low budgets. Other religious-themed movies are brilliant despite their limited funding and release. There's a good collection of educational DVDs, documentaries, some Christian comics, etc.

If that's your interest, this is a good service!
Old 02-09-06, 08:23 AM

Gkleinman - need to update 1st post. Blockbuster is now priced the same as Netflix. The cost for the 3 at a time (+ 1 free in store rental per week) plan is $17.99.

OwlAtHome post is still active "bbstore" promotion code gives you the first month free.
Old 02-11-06, 07:22 AM

FYI

I just read an article on AOL talking about how NetFLix has implemented a plan called "throttling" which limits the number of dvds you can rent to 13 per month and gives new releases to low volume users and new customers. So no matter how fast you rent dvds net flix will delay shipments by computer based formula to limit your rented dvds. They say their average user rents between 2 and 11 dvds. I don't mind them doing this if it is not in the find print which they just added four months ago after someone filed suit against them. Say limited to 13 rentals a month not unlimited rentals. This could end up being a class action suit against them, and the only one who makes money in class action suits is the lawyers. I will never rent dvds from them again. I hate sneaky. I can understand why they are doing this, shipping is expensive, but don't be sneaky about it. Don't say unlimited dvd rentals when it is not, and then after being sued hide it in the fine print.

Last edited by sabre; 02-11-06 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-01-06, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just signed up for Blockbuster online's free trial using the bbstore code. They are no longer offering the PVD coupon.

Does anyone know if I can switch to the $14.99 program once my trial is finished? I want to see the turnaround time both at home and school before I decide to sign up, and the free one month trial is the only way I will be able to test the turnaround from both locations. The website says I will go to the $17.99 plan once the trial ends. Is there some way I can change this?
Old 03-01-06, 10:53 AM

The main post above needs to be updated, they used to have a 3 at a time for $14.99+tax plan but with the recent rate increase, that plan it is now $17.99+tax.
If you are going to change plans, its probably best to wait until a day or two before your next billing date because I switched to a lower plan and it took effect immediately even though I had half a month left on the higher plan I paid for. Although I did call to complain and got a free month out of it...
Just go to My Account and next to Online Membership there is an option for Change which would allow you to choose a different plan.

Here are all the Blockbuster Online plan options as they are listed in my account. I'm guessing these plans would be available for everyone but I have no way of knowing...

Blockbuster Online Monthly Plans
--------------------------------
  • 3 at a time, Unlimited rents - $17.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, up to 3 at one time plus one in-store coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
  • 2 at a time, Unlimited rents - $14.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, up to 2 at one time plus one e-coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
  • 1 at a time, Unlimited rents - $9.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, up to 1 at one time plus one ecoupon each week for a free in-store movie rental. Limited to 1 week rentals only.*
  • 5 at a time, Unlimited rents - $29.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, up to 5 at one time plus one e-coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
  • 8 at a time, Unlimited rents - $47.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, up to 8 at one time plus one e-coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
  • 1 at a time, Unlimited rents - $9.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, 1 at a time plus two e-coupons/month for free in-store movie rentals.*
  • 3 at a time, Unlimited rents - $17.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
    you will receive unlimited movies, up to 3 at one time plus two e-coupons/month for free in-store movie rentals.*
Old 04-26-06, 08:35 PM

I am using Blockbuster and I have no problem such as the one people isited in their Jan. 2006 post. Don't go to the store. They don't honor your blockbuster coupon like they use to but I think the online service of Blockubster is better than Netflix.
Old 05-29-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never had a problem using the in-store coupons here in Wichita
Old 06-02-06, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by sabre
I just read an article on AOL talking about how NetFLix has implemented a plan called "throttling" which limits the number of dvds you can rent to 13 per month and gives new releases to low volume users and new customers. So no matter how fast you rent dvds net flix will delay shipments by computer based formula to limit your rented dvds. They say their average user rents between 2 and 11 dvds.
Blockbuster does the same thing. When I first started the DVD's were rolling in fast. Now that I have established my usage pattern, the shipping /receipt times have become un-bearable.

For some reason, both companies can't believe that certain people like to watch movies, not TV, and can actually watch a movie a night or at least 5 a week, which would work out to about 21 movies a month. Neither will let you do that long term, no matter what your plan says - i.e. "unlimited".
Old 06-18-06, 01:24 PM

Just stay away from Intelliflix. Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. I've switched to Blockbuster and it is infinitely better.
Old 07-06-06, 11:38 AM

I cancelled BB earlier this year when they raised their price up to the $17.99/month. It wasn't worth it since the turnaround time was too slow.
A couple of days after I cancelled, I got an email offering a 6 month special for $15.99/month 3 at a time, plus a weekly in-store coupon (and our nearby stores do take them). Even if I only get 12 rentals a month (turnaround is still pokey) plus the 4 free in-store, it's about $1 a rental, which isn't bad.
If you're unhappy with your current BB price, you might try cancelling and see if you get the email. There was no code, just a link in the mail.
Old 08-20-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use Netflix (e-mail is for anyone that would like to add me as their Netflix friend) and it seems fantastic, I tried BlockBuster online and hated it, they never shipped everything they were suppose to and the wait for a single dvd was long. Netflix 99% of the time has everything in stock, every once in a while you will only get 1 or 2 DVDs at a time, but the next 1 or 2 usually comes the next day and I only pay a little over $19 a month affordable and efficient. Not too mention the ease, Netflix is so easy to add movies, move movies on your list, add ratings, whatever, BlockBuster was more of a pain in the ass. Totally worth the extra $2-3 to switch.

My analysis: Want your moneys worth? Use Netflix.

Last edited by JohnSlider; 12-03-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

I had Netflix for quite awhile and the only reason I got rid of it was because I just didn't use it enough.

BB online however, I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I did the 2 Week free trial. The turn around time was SLOW and after cancelling my membership they sent me two movies in my que. I sent them back right after recieving them and then got a lovely notice saying I needed to return them and they took $70 out of my account for two movies. After nearly two hours on the phone with their customer service the charges were reversed but it was a headache none the less. Not to mention neither of the movies would have been $35 each if I'd just bought them.

Can anyone tell me more about this http://rental.nicheflix.com/?
Old 01-21-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are there any netflix free trial plans out there for former members?
Old 02-13-07, 11:16 AM

I swear the girl at BB told me there was a $5.99 a month option. Does anyone know of such a plan?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.