Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

$4.88 Universal DVDs at Walmart

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$4.88 Universal DVDs at Walmart

Old 11-02-05, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of you in the Twin Cities metro still needing Fletch,

there's nine of them at the new SuperCenter in Shakopee.
Nice 4-sided display in the elect. dept. that's actually all alphabetized by title name (no, I can't pick one up for you)
Old 11-02-05, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I must be blind, as I walked the whole of that department and didn't see anything. I'll have to check again tomorrow. Thanks!
Find it today? I think I'm headed back tomorrow to see if a copy of Cape Fear has shown up. Hopefully the display is still there.
Old 11-02-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone from the Atlanta area have these Universal displays show up at their local Wal-Mart? The one one Pleasant Hill Rd still doesn't have these $4.88 DVDs on display yet. Grrrr....
Old 11-02-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another add: ONE NIGHT AT MCCOOL'S
Old 11-02-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingtopher
Find it today? I think I'm headed back tomorrow to see if a copy of Cape Fear has shown up. Hopefully the display is still there.
Nope - not a damn thing there again today, either - so I guess I'm not blind after all. The two employees I actually did ask about it this time had absolutely zero idea of what I was asking them for - except that they did have some $4.88 DVD that got sent back a little while ago - or, that maybe they hadn't gotten them in yet. This is damn frustrating!!!!

Think I might check either North Windahm again, or what the hell, even Falmouth . Maybe they've got them after all.
Old 11-02-05, 09:31 PM

Nope - not a damn thing there again today, either - so I guess I'm not blind after all. The two employees I actually did ask about it this time had absolutely zero idea of what I was asking them for - except that they did have some $4.88 DVD that got sent back a little while ago - or, that maybe they hadn't gotten them in yet. This is damn frustrating!!!!

Think I might check either North Windahm again, or what the hell, even Falmouth . Maybe they've got them after all.
That's really, really strange. When I went yesterday at about 11am it was there, and full right next to a big display of bargain CD's or something. And when I was rung up, there was a cashier in training who commented on how cheap the movies were and the woman training her told her that there was a big display in the electronics section. I wonder what's going on. They can't all have sold out that quickly, because there was no price tag on the display to indicate how cheap they were.
Old 11-02-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Add Oliver Stone's Talk Radio to the list.
Old 11-02-05, 11:43 PM

Think they pulled them, my walmart which had them all week had it missing today....I was looking for star wars but I noticed the 4.88 display was gone.
Old 11-03-05, 01:17 AM

I finally found these in two (2) Atlanta area stores:
  • Marietta, GA (on Chastain Meadows Pkwy): Individual trays (64 DVDs) are located on the end caps of the DVD shelves in the Electronics Department.
  • Woodstock, GA (on Bells Ferry Road): Fully assembled display is located just as you walk in to the left of the front door. (General Merchandise door -- not the Grocery Door)

Both of these stores are super-centers.

I can now describe the display for all that haven't seen it. The basic building block is a bright red cardboard tray made up of eight (8) squares to hold the DVDs -- two (2) rows of four (4) across. Each square holds 8 DVDs. This makes 64 DVD's/tray. One tray is represented below:

X X X X
-------
X X X X
Each X represents 8 DVD's. The front row of Xs face out, the back row of Xs face to the rear. A cardboard wall separates the front and back rows. You must gain access to the back of the tray to see the 32 titles located in the back row. In one store I was in, these single trays had been placed on standard store shelves in the video dept. By sliding the tray off the shelf, you could turn the tray around to see the titles on the backside.

The poor design of the full display makes it impossible to see the inner titles. The fully assembled display places four (4) of these trays in a rectangle on each level. So the front and back of the display is eight (8) DVD's across.

X X X X X X X X Back row
----------------
X X X X X X X X /______side view
X X X X X X X X \
----------------
X X X X X X X X Front row

…….../\
….……|
…..Front View

Again, each X represents 8 DVDs. If you have access to the front and back of the fully assembled display, you can easily see half of the DVD titles: the front and back rows. If the display is pushed up against a wall (or other display), you can only view the front row, or one fourth of the selection. Looking in from the side, you can make out the first groups of title easily, the second group (red) is pretty hard to see, and the inner rows (dark red) cannot be seen without some disassembly of the display. Remember: each X represents 8 DVDs.

There were five (5) levels made up of four (4) trays in the display I was looking at. 64 DVD/tray x 4 tray/level x 5 levels/display =1,280 DVDs. The titles seem to be in no logical order. I saw no markings that advertised these to be Universal titles. The display is completely generic: just red cardboard. Oddly enough, none of the DVDs had wal-mart stickers or pricetags on them. All are in new shrinkwrap with no wal-mart inventory number whatsoever.

I hope this makes sense to those who haven't seen it yet. If not, it will become crystal clear when you find yourself tearing one of these displays apart to get to the inner titles. ;-)

Titles I spotted that haven't been mentioned before:

Hulk, The (Bill Bixby -- first episodes)
MacArthur
Splitting Heirs

A couple of notes here:
  • The Ma & Pa Kettle collections contain four movies each. Collection #1 is a gem as it contains “The Egg and I” with Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert. A favorite of mine
  • The Adventures of Francis the Talking Mule contains 4 movies. On the back it says very clearly “DVD 18”
  • Psycho CE (collector’s edition) is the 1998 remake

There are a few older Universal titles I am hoping will show up in some of these displays. So keep reporting any new titles you see. I'll post an updated list tomorrow night. No one has spoted "Three O'Clock High", "Fear", "Videodrome", "Midway", "Uncle Buck", "Play Misty For Me", "Shocker", or "Sea of Love" yet. Maybe they'll turn up. I mean who would have thought Fletch would suddenly be so cheap and available!?!
Old 11-03-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DiscGuy.. Not $4.88 but.. Uncle Buck is at Target for $5.50.
Old 11-03-05, 02:06 AM

The display at the Honolulu (Keeaumoku St.) store is gone, and the remaining DVDs have been remanded to the custody of the $5.50 bin, where I found Lost In Space. While the $4.88 display was still there, I got the following:

Johnny English

Man On the Moon

Cape Fear (1962)

October Sky

Fletch

I bet Wall Of Mart does something similar again right before Thanksgiving, just to get everyone in the holiday spirit. At $4.88 each, you could even give DVDs to people you don't even like!
Old 11-03-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wowee-wowee-weee-wa!

Jackpot!

I finally found a Walmart in the Richmond, Va. area that had the 4.88 display. It was hard to find, and nowhere near the electronics or dvd section. This was after visting at least 8 Walmarts in the DC and NoVA area (and no, I did not come down to Richmond solely to find more Walmarts). If you are in the Richmond area, and want to know where they have the display, please let me know.

Anyway, the display was hard to get to if you wanted a dvd that was not on top (it was stacked, but you couldnt really remove the top stack without also taking EVERY dvd off of it, and there were at least 100 dvds per level.

Went shopping for both myself and a friend (so if you see x2, that it what it means).

Here is the tally:
Batteries Not Included
Brewsters Millions
Broken Silence x2
Cape Fear x2
Dragon x2
Duel
EdTv (btw, they had both the collectors and the dts edition)
Fletch x5 (some were gifts; don't worry, I left--and hid--a few)
Galaxy Quest
Kindegarten Cop x2
King Ralph
Man on the Moon
Reality Bites 10th x2
Red Dragon

There were a few others, including some not mentioned here yet, and when I remember, I will update the post.
Old 11-03-05, 01:29 PM

You're right. Went back today and it was gone. Thats quite strange. Also gone was the big CD display and the big Star Wars display that were both right next to it. Let me know if you find it anywhere else.
Old 11-03-05, 01:43 PM

Hopefully the display is still at the store by me. I already picked up Cape Fear and I wanna go pick up Duel today.
Old 11-03-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
One I went to had a bunch of Slap Shot 25th anniversary edition, but it rang up at 9.44. Cashier gave me the usual "Someone must have put it in there" crap, so I told her to just keep it. (If I pay real money for a DVD it's NOT gonna be at Wal-Mart!) I've already got 2 copies of the original DiscoVision laserdisc issue anyway.
Anyone know why Fletch is out of print in the first place?

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-03-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 07:03 PM

picked up man on the moon
it was a lot of emperor's club and what has been mentioned, but mostly fullscreen
fletch was there. but I have no desire to get it, there has to be little trade/re-sale value now.
Old 11-03-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One I went to had a bunch of Slap Shot 25th anniversary edition, but it rang up at 9.44. Cashier gave me the usual "Someone must have put it in there" crap, so I told her to just keep it. (If I pay real money for a DVD it's NOT gonna be at Wal-Mart!) I've already got 2 copies of the original DiscoVision laserdisc issue anyway.
I doubt if you pay real money! Who cares about your laserdisc anyway its been long gone not accepted by the standards. If you have grudges with a single cashier, dont blow your temper and bragging it in the forum.

Going back, its pretty cool that Walmart starts already their marked down prices!
Old 11-03-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're right. Went back today and it was gone. Thats quite strange. Also gone was the big CD display and the big Star Wars display that were both right next to it. Let me know if you find it anywhere else.
I decieded to give Falmouth a go, as I hadn't been previously, and they actually had them! Well some of them, that is. The display was there, but was only two tiers high, and you could tell there had been more, previously.

If you go, after you enter, head straight up that main isle to the back of the store, and turn right to get to the electronics dept. Keep going right, and you will pass a bunch of electronic equipment stacked in isle in front of the electronics dept...VCR's, DVD players, TVs. When you get to the end of the stacks, right before you hit the fabric/crafts dept, you will see the big red cardboard display with what's left of the DVD's in them.

There's still some good stuff - I got Fletch and Reality Bites - but I was bumbed that they didn't have more of a selection from the lists of titles I've seen here. No copies of Mask (DC), 1941 or Somewhere In Time.

I'm gonna re-check North Windham sometime this weekend - so I'll let you know if they have any.

Also, in the electronics dept, Falmouth store also still had the Warner Bros. TV on DVD display, with sets for $19.97.
Old 11-03-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yet another add: THE GURU with Heather Graham and Marissa Tomei
Old 11-03-05, 10:37 PM

I decieded to give Falmouth a go, as I hadn't been previously, and they actually had them! Well some of them, that is. The display was there, but was only two tiers high, and you could tell there had been more, previously.

If you go, after you enter, head straight up that main isle to the back of the store, and turn right to get to the electronics dept. Keep going right, and you will pass a bunch of electronic equipment stacked in isle in front of the electronics dept...VCR's, DVD players, TVs. When you get to the end of the stacks, right before you hit the fabric/crafts dept, you will see the big red cardboard display with what's left of the DVD's in them.

There's still some good stuff - I got Fletch and Reality Bites - but I was bumbed that they didn't have more of a selection from the lists of titles I've seen here. No copies of Mask (DC), 1941 or Somewhere In Time.

I'm gonna re-check North Windham sometime this weekend - so I'll let you know if they have any.

Also, in the electronics dept, Falmouth store also still had the Warner Bros. TV on DVD display, with sets for $19.97.
You didn't happen to see any Cape Fear's in there, did you? That's the only one I'm interested in that I didn't get in Scarborough.
Old 11-03-05, 10:50 PM

Pittsburgh, PA area - The Cranberry Township store still has their display, but they've moved it from the aisle across from electronics to the aisle behind electronics.

Looks like the two or so upper layers are gone. But there's still a bunch there.

I saw a Fletch. (Thursday evening)
Old 11-04-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad I had most of these I wanted, save for Red Dragon which I snapped up (yes, I did dig through until I found a WS version of it)
Old 11-04-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One I went to had a bunch of Slap Shot 25th anniversary edition, but it rang up at 9.44. Cashier gave me the usual "Someone must have put it in there" crap,
Well, she was right. Its Slap Shot 2 that's supposed to be $4.88.
Old 11-04-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You didn't happen to see any Cape Fear's in there, did you? That's the only one I'm interested in that I didn't get in Scarborough.
Can't remember for certain - but I don't think they did.
Old 11-04-05, 03:23 PM

Any stores in the MD/VA area - Annapolis, Baltimore or Washington?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.