DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders Buy 3 DVDs Get 1 Free 12/26-?

Old 12-15-04, 06:05 PM
psd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borders Buy 3 DVDs Get 1 Free 12/26-?

saw this ad in store.
i'm assuming it applies to the chain.
i remember it starts on the 26th, runs just a couple days.
Old 12-16-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i assume this is the "Build Your Own Boxset" type sale they run, i got alot of use out of it last time and will definitely try again with all the gift cards i got.
Old 12-16-04, 08:17 AM

I would imagine they run this type of one day sale so all returns will be 25% lower then what they normally sell for...
Old 12-16-04, 10:34 AM
Banned

Actually, back in the summer, I believe, Barnes and Noble had a better deal, buy 2 get 1 free (3 for 2) ! And they even allowed their in-store 10% off BN Membership discount PLUS they always have 10% off retail for ALL box sets (defined as 3 or more disks) AND some of their box sets are even marked 15% or 20% off retail usually. All these discounts applied during their sale. BTW the sale was for 1 WHOLE month (June I think) ! I cleaned up on this one, getting up to 46% or more off box sets because of all these discounts. This was instore only. Additionally, BN had some unique box sets, like for Sci-Fi fans, the Cylon mask limited ed of the Battlestar Galactica series, which I got for around 46% off, $60+. It was awesome - I really went overboard. You can not even get these discounts in a "going out of business sale" (here you can pick and choose from full stock, not just reminants).

I am hoping that if Borders is doing this, so will Barnes and Noble do their 3 for 2 sale, cuz I will be there !! As I heard, BN sold alot during this sale and had competitions between their stores as to who would sell the most.
Old 12-16-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couple of box sets i been wanting....i might check that out
Old 12-16-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johna599a
Actually, back in the summer, I believe, Barnes and Noble had a better deal, buy 2 get 1 free (3 for 2) ! And they even allowed their in-store 10% off BN Membership discount PLUS they always have 10% off retail for ALL box sets (defined as 3 or more disks) AND some of their box sets are even marked 15% or 20% off retail usually. All these discounts applied during their sale. BTW the sale was for 1 WHOLE month (June I think) ! I cleaned up on this one, getting up to 46% or more off box sets because of all these discounts. This was instore only. Additionally, BN had some unique box sets, like for Sci-Fi fans, the Cylon mask limited ed of the Battlestar Galactica series, which I got for around 46% off, $60+. It was awesome - I really went overboard. You can not even get these discounts in a "going out of business sale" (here you can pick and choose from full stock, not just reminants).

I am hoping that if Borders is doing this, so will Barnes and Noble do their 3 for 2 sale, cuz I will be there !! As I heard, BN sold alot during this sale and had competitions between their stores as to who would sell the most.
I took part in both deals and the difference with criterions was only a couple pennies per selection; however, Borders was lower per selection for new hits and box sets because they are normally 20-35% below MSRP. The selection at Borders here in Hawaii (Ward) was also superior to Barnes (Kahala).

With all of that said, both deals are basically only for instant gratification because neither can compete with the prices online or CH. I had my eye on some criterions, so I’ll be at Borders.

Last edited by island007; 12-16-04 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by island007
both deals are basically only for instant gratification because neither can compete with the prices online or CH.
I do not totally agree, instant gratification, yes - have it now, but...price-wise not sure. Some items probably, but there are many, if done in the right combinations, that will be significantly less...like Battlestar mask LE, you could not find that for $68, in new condition.

Originally Posted by island007
Borders was lower per selection for new hits and box sets because they are normally 20-35% below MSRP.
I did not know that, wrongly assuming that both Borders and BN were pricing at retail. I looked at that today at a Borders and found that there are some that are not retail and 25% or so below, quite suprised. Other LE's, like the Battlestar Cylon mask, were full retail.

I was going to skip this sale, but now I will also be checking it out. Thanks island007 for setting me straight.
Old 12-16-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know if chard31 was being serious that Borders runs these sales so that returns without receipt will get a 25% lower price, but it might be.

I forgot what the exact policy is, but it's something like the lowest price on that DVD in the last 9 or 12 months. That means if they run 1 sale per year they can make sure that few people will want to trade in their Christmas gift DVDs without receipt because they would get significantly less (25%) than the shelf price.

However, my memory from last Christmas is they had a similar buy 3 or 4 and get 1 free deal either right before or right after Christmas, and I returned some unopened DVDs without receipt and got back the normal on-shelf price on most of them. Since not everyone will buy 3 DVDs to participate in this upcoming deal, is the lowest price per DVD in their system going to be 25% less because someone might use this deal? By the same logic, since Borders has had 10% to 25% off coupons on any item at various times during the year, they should assume everyone used a 25% off coupon on each purchase (even if they didn't) and therefore always give all returns 25% less than shelf price.

I'm hoping they won't reduce prices across the board because of this sale since I have a few unopened DVDs I'd like to return. I was planning on waiting until after Christmas to try. I could produce the receipts -- some of which are about a year old, but I found in the past that returning something with a 11 month old receipt is equally as difficult as not having the receipt at all, so I generally save them all up for an after Christmas return. The last time they called the manager who grilled me up and down and sideways about why I wanted to do this and how they were going out of their way to help me and how I shouldn't ever expect them to accept a DVD again after 30 days. They act like returning a few DVDs after 30 days is going to bankrupt them.

I only do it on a handful of DVDs each year -- typically ones I bought, never got around to opening and watching, and then a better edition was released or announced (like Predator 2) or ones which I had buyer's remorse later on (like Space Camp) when I caught it on TV and remembered it wasn't as good as I had thought.

However, I'll be surprised if any retailers allow returns of unopened DVDs without receipt for store credit this year. When I once tried to return a few DVDs after Christmas with a 6 month old receipt to Walmart, I was denied. I then came back the next day WITHOUT the receipt and got store credit. Go figure.
Old 12-17-04, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A "buy 3- get 1 free" sale translates to a 25% discount, so if you're grabbing items that are marked with the MSRP, it's not a great deal.

That said, Borders usually has most $19.95 MSRP titles regularly priced at $14.99. Get 4 of those puppies and you're paying $11.25 each for $19.95 titles, and that's a nice deal.
Old 12-25-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just received email announcing this promotion, valid 12/26-1/29 - say applies to all DVDs in the store, and of course the cheapest of the 4 you select is the free one.
Old 12-25-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to use that 10% off coupon that's good for a few more days! It works on sale/promotional items too (and says so right on the coupon, so don't let some nimrod half-trained seasonal clerk try to reject it!).
Old 12-25-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i special ordered 4 DVDs last week when i first read about this sale. they are all in stock now and i will pick them up tomorrow. i love this deal, especially with all the giftcards i have.
Old 12-25-04, 03:32 PM

Shweet, I have about $85 in gift cards so I might do the 4 and then pick up a few more for free (only got 3 dvds for Christmas)
Old 12-25-04, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
i special ordered 4 DVDs last week when i first read about this sale. they are all in stock now and i will pick them up tomorrow. i love this deal, especially with all the giftcards i have.
My experience has been that special orders are excluded from sales/discount/coupon offers. Good luck to you though.
Old 12-26-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, hrm, anyone got any suggestions on what to buy? I might head over tomorrow (wait, traffic = death...) and find a way to utilize this...www.bordersstores.com here I come!
Old 12-26-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lookin at these groups of four:

Wild Bunch ($10.99), Ben Hur ($14.99), Forbidden Planet ($14.99), Nightmare Before Christmas ($11.24), Paths of Glory ($10.99), Rear Window ($14.99)

In another price range...
Big Heat ($23.99), Fantasia ($25.99)
Old 12-26-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mega
My experience has been that special orders are excluded from sales/discount/coupon offers. Good luck to you though.
thanks. looking at the website describing this offer, and their other coupons, the Special Order items must be in stock, which mine are right now. I also did this last time they had their Buy 3 Get 4th free deal. the problem is when they scan the DVDs into the computer, they dont register as DVDs, they register under a Special Order code, therefore doesnt automatically give you the 4th for free. just mention that the sign says ALL DVDs and they will just override it. at least thats what happened in previous cases.
Old 12-26-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS- remember to look up any DVDs you want in the title sleuth computer they have there in stores. ALOT of the times the price tags dont reflect a price drop. when they scan the DVD, they scan the price sticker, not the UPC, so unless you tell them the price is wrong, they will overcharge you.
Old 12-27-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i gotta go burn a gift card on this....i want some kino stuff...i wonder if i can find a better coupon deal
Old 12-28-04, 01:04 AM

If I buy 3 boxsets will I get 1 free?
Old 12-28-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it works for boxsets
Hopefully, they'll have Garden State and Shaun of the Dead for $19.99. I was planning on using this deal to get those two movies plus I Robot and Collateral for $15 apiece since they're all $19.99 on sale right now.
Old 12-28-04, 02:04 AM

Thanks. I'm going to search their store inventory and decide which location has 4 boxsets I want, since the closest one doesn't. I hope it's reliable.
Old 12-28-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by tbwmp88
Thanks. I'm going to search their store inventory and decide which location has 4 boxsets I want, since the closest one doesn't. I hope it's reliable.
for the store inventory site (bordersstores.com), be careful. always call first and have them find it for you. there have been too many times the site has said a movie was in store, then coming in to find that they can't find it, or that they ordered it and it's on it's way and the site marked it as in store.
Old 12-28-04, 12:36 PM

I was planning on getting the Robocop Trilogy and 3 Kurosawa Criterion Movies, but i don't know if it's worth it.
Old 12-29-04, 07:27 PM

The $14.99 dvds are the only ones you are getting a good deal...the $12.99 dvds are $9.99 everywhere else, so you still actually pay more after the 25% off (or buy 3 get 1 free)

And their boxsets are expensive

CC's are also good deal

They used to price most of the $14.99 MSRP dvds are $10.99, now its $12.99

bastards

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.