Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders Buy 3 DVDs Get 1 Free 12/26-?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bwsmom
Don't forget to use that 10% off coupon that's good for a few more days! It works on sale/promotional items too (and says so right on the coupon, so don't let some nimrod half-trained seasonal clerk try to reject it!).
I just wanted to confirm that the 10% coupon does indeed work in conjunction with the current "buy 3 DVDs, get 4th free" sale... I used it twice last night (see link to the coupon below.)

http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/New...oupon_Reg.html
Old 12-30-04, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found Touching the Void for 10.99 yesterday. Couldn't find 3 other films at a price that was reasonable.
Old 12-30-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I found Buffalo '66 there yesterday and it was marked $10.99....it's still $20+ everywhere on-line.
Old 12-30-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
I found Buffalo '66 there yesterday and it was marked $10.99....it's still $20+ everywhere on-line.
The Lion's Gate re-release (rebrand) can be found for $8.95 at Digital Eyes.
Old 12-30-04, 11:01 PM

if you go to the site and browse titles it gives you the option for in-store pickup or shop online, which takes you to the borders/amazon website. Does the deal apply to both, or just for in-store pickups?
Old 12-30-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uhftv
if you go to the site and browse titles it gives you the option for in-store pickup or shop online, which takes you to the borders/amazon website. Does the deal apply to both, or just for in-store pickups?
Don't know if the deal applies online, but let me give you a heads-up. Some of you may remember I was trying to snag a *reasonably* priced copy of Without a Trace S1 for a friend for Christmas. Checked it out at borders.com, and the price wasn't terrible, so I thought I'd go to the store and get it. They jacked the price up $15 in the store!!! Went back and checked it out online again and, sure enough, the in-store pickup price was $15 higher!!! Be forewarned.... if you opt for in-store pickup, you may find yourself on the wrong end of the "deal"...
Old 12-31-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Don't know if the deal applies online, but let me give you a heads-up. Some of you may remember I was trying to snag a *reasonably* priced copy of Without a Trace S1 for a friend for Christmas. Checked it out at borders.com, and the price wasn't terrible, so I thought I'd go to the store and get it. They jacked the price up $15 in the store!!! Went back and checked it out online again and, sure enough, the in-store pickup price was $15 higher!!! Be forewarned.... if you opt for in-store pickup, you may find yourself on the wrong end of the "deal"...
Hey fellow Oregonian You may not be aware that Borders partners with Amazon to handle their internet sales. Thus when you go to borders.com, you typically see lower prices than in the store since they are really Amazon prices. To get an idea of prices in Borders stores, you need to go to bordersstores.com
Old 12-31-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bhauge
Hey fellow Oregonian You may not be aware that Borders partners with Amazon to handle their internet sales. Thus when you go to borders.com, you typically see lower prices than in the store since they are really Amazon prices. To get an idea of prices in Borders stores, you need to go to bordersstores.com
Howdy southern neighbor! (Gettin' any snow yet?) Actually, I did know about the partnership with Amazon, BUT, I didn't know about the other website (borderstores.com). This is precisely why I love this site! Not only do I learn about deals on a near-daily basis, I learn about other stuff too! My sincerest appreciation for the info!
Old 12-31-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, always check bordersstores.com and also their in-store title sleuth computers will have the correct CURRENT price, dont be fooled by the sticker price, it is usually wrong and they will overcharge you because they scan the sticker price, not the UPC. deja vu, i swear i mentioned this earlier.
Old 12-31-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
All good points.

Also, don't trust that the on-line search at the borders site (or their in-store title sleuth) are correct when they say they have it in-stock. Borders inventory is often wrong (plus the clerks use another inventory system at the stores that differs from the title sleuth system, yet still is often wrong. They only take in-store inventory once a year. Point being call and check to see if they actually have what you want rather than waste a trip.

As was mentioned, they use their own scan stickers which can be wrong on the up-to-date price. Occasionally, you will find sticker errors as well in your favor. Most likely candidates are double-dip DVDs where they got confused and still have it priced as the earlier version. I don't think these are worth looking for (at all) but just being aware of when shopping there.
Old 01-01-05, 01:56 AM

is it worth it if i am buying some criterion dvd's?
Old 01-01-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just wanna tell what happened with me yesterday at Borders if anyone cares.

about 2 weeks before the sale, i special ordered 4 DVDs at a pretty reasonable price, which would be even more reasonable during the sale. they all arrived, so they told me, so i went yesterday to pick them up. only 3 of the 4 DVDs were there, no problem, i grabbed another one for the same price of the missing DVD so i can just swap it later when i reorder.

heres where the trouble started. first of all, the little temporary tags on the front of the special order DVDs were wrong. one was $2 too much, one was $5 too much. i point this out and there is some discussion and basically i hear "those are the prices the distributor stated to them". i told them that their prices are usually wrong and if they scan the UPC, the correct price would come up, and it did. they called someone on a walkie talkie and he stated i am to get the lowest price on all of them. excellent.

then when they go to scan in the 4 DVDs, they have to key 3 of them into the register with a special order code, as opposed to regular DVD. this causes problems with the Buy 3 Get 1 Free, the register doesnt do it automatically. so again they call the guy on the walkie talkie and ask if i can still get the Buy 3 Get 1 with special orders. he says yes, they just have to override the register, which they did. again excellent.

the point of the post is to just be very careful when they ring you up, check the prices and make sure you get the right price you ordered at, and also that special orders do count in the sale, the cashier just gotta do it a weird way. it took a little extra time but the Borders exployees were very helpful and we got everything sorted out correctly. i have no doubt the situation would have ended uglier at other stores that will remain nameless.
Old 01-01-05, 08:42 AM

Aww dang I just bought 4 for $72 and didn't know about the 10%...they are all sealed, think I can go back and get the 10% off?
Old 01-01-05, 09:07 AM

Usually they specifically exclude special orders from their promotions but this time they did not. Good for you!

Aww dang I just bought 4 for $72 and didn't know about the 10%...they are all sealed, think I can go back and get the 10% off?
Since the coupon expired 12/31/04 ... doubtful.
Old 01-01-05, 10:06 AM

http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/New...oupon_Reg.html Expires 1/31/05 not 12/31/04
Old 01-01-05, 11:00 AM

I'm wrong. I wasn't aware of the new coupon.

Well, at the very least you can return them and just repurchase the same titles again. If they are smart, they will just apply the discount rather than just go through the business of returning and restocking ... but ... who knows?
Old 01-03-05, 12:19 AM

si would this deal be worth it if i bought criterion movies?
Old 01-03-05, 12:22 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
it would probably be about the same as buying at dvdplanet.com but you have to pay taxes at borders for criterions
Old 01-03-05, 01:58 AM

Took advantage of these deal today using the coupon -- picked up Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Election and Antwone Fisher for $46. Not a terrible deal, if I say so myself. Thanks for pointing these deals out!
Old 01-12-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Squall280
si would this deal be worth it if i bought criterion movies?

Only if you bought 4 lower priced Criterions.

3 x 25.99 = 77.97
77.97 - 10% = 70.17

70.17 / 4 (3 + 1 free) = 17.54

17.54 per title is not bad at all

This price does not include sales tax which would probably add another $1 - 1.50 per title.
Old 01-24-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A bump to remind people this Buy 3 Get 1 Free is until 2/26. This 10% off coupon can be combined with the promotion and is good until 2/28:

Old 01-25-05, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rkndkn
A bump to remind people this Buy 3 Get 1 Free is until 2/26.
Doesn't the Buy-3-Get-1 promotion end on 1/29?

**EDIT**

Nevermind, I found the link to the 2/26 date in the other Borders thread. Good deal.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 01-25-05 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-01-05, 08:58 AM

Where is this other Borders thread? I did an Advanced Search for any posts with "Borders" and "free" and got a 2 page list with this thread but no other Borders Buy 3 Get 1 Free thread (at least not in the title). Maybe I don't know how to use the search tool properly any more?

Also interesting is that for the last week or two when I browse the DVD Talk Bargain Forum (where I usually start) I only see the latest 25 posts and no options for Next Page (it used to have numbers like 2, 3, etc.) that I could click on to see the next pages. Is anyone else having this problem or just me? I'm using an ancient Internet Explorer (on purpose), but this used to work just a little while ago.

The sign in my Borders store said this special ends on 1/29, so unless it was a silent extension that my store didn't know about last time I was there, I'm wondering if it's not nationwide. I'll call them to see, and if the deal really has been extended since there is a new 10% coupon usable with this deal, I'll see if I can struggle (and I really mean struggle) to find 4 more DVDs in the next month.

EDIT: I read one of the threads whose title didn't mention the Buy 3 Get 1 Free and found some mention of the deal being extended. Normally I wouldn't have tried to read a thread whose title doesn't match what I was looking for except when I had been told there was another thread, so I guess I am using the search tool right:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=borders+free

Now if I could get the next page numbers to work again on my Internet Explorer...

Last edited by Manzana; 02-01-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 06:52 AM

I received an e-mail stating that the buy 3 get 4th free is through 2/27/05.

link: http://www.bordersstores.com/feature...?file=dvdmonth

Which combined with 10 percent off total purchase (valid through 2/28) makes for a better deal.

DVD coupon link:

Also, 25 percent off regular price of a book coupon:

http://f.chtah.com/i/16/276579827/25...coupon_203.htm

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-02-05 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
recently picked up the Talented Mr. Ripley, Boston Strangler, Legend of Hell House and Prince of Darkness for around 41 bucks. not too bad. usually these sales aren't that big of a savings because of the prices that Borders sells them at, they end up being sales of convenience. I can't find most of those titles at other stores nearby for 9.99 so there we go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.