Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

168-DVD Tower (Black or Natural) at OFFICE MAX for 24.99 (half off!!)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 11-23-04, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you who are outgrowing your humble DVD storage might be interested in two models that I had planned to pick up at Office Max on their BF sale for 24.99. They're on sale half off (24.99) right now! I happened to be attending a luncheon close by to an Office Max and thought I'd go scope these DVD towers out in preparation for BF, and found them already on sale 3 days early!! They hold 168 DVD's or 396 CD's and have a nice, clean design.

These are the CARINA ALTRA DVD2060N (Natural) or DVD2060B (Black) Finish DVD/VCR/CD Media Storage Towers that were 49.99 at OM. Don't bother trying to find them online at OM — they are closeout models, being clearanced at the B&M OM's but your trusty PEACH has hunted down their pictures and here they are. Enjoy!

PEACH

Old 11-23-04, 07:27 PM

I have two of these--one for DVDs, one for CDs--and they are pretty good but the fixed shelf doesn't sit in the right position for solely DVDs. I have to lay some flat. If you mix in CDs (like in the picture) it works out better.
Old 11-23-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, peach, i'm definitely going to go check them out. Sounds like a great price. BTW, it's great to have you posting on the forums. I enjoy the energy and enthusiasm you bring, not to mention the great deals like the B&N coupon you blessed us all with. Kudos to you and thanks again for the great catch on the dvd towers.
Old 11-23-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use these too. My wife picked up my fifth one yesterday. They are simple to assemble. The spacing can be arranged so most of the dead space goes to the top inner shelf. This gives six shelves for storing upright and a smaller top inner shelf. I use this for my unwatched pile fits about 8 (flat) DVDs on each side.
Old 11-23-04, 08:15 PM

Hey!! Those sure do look familiar

I have three of those in black!

They are pretty good except as noted above the fixed shelf throws you off if you are using it solely for DVD's.

One other thing that does irk me about them is the partition running down the middle. I have had to take any dvd sets that are in keepcases (the stargate sg1 season sets for example) out of their boxes so I can maximize space. I have already filled up a storage box with DVD box set cases and the like!

Other than that these are good shelves! I caught all three of mine at Office Max when they were on sale at various times during the past year.

Well take care all!!
Old 11-23-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw these also and was interested but can you explain the fixed shelf problem. Which shelf is fixed? I have a couple of odd shaped dvd sets (i.e. the Scarface box set) that I might use to fill an odd space.

I also have a $10 off of $50 in store coupon that I might use in conjunction with this deal....if they let me.
Old 11-23-04, 08:45 PM
Cool New Member

I love you PEACH.

I was just doing some shopping for DVD Shelves...and was about to buy one for 79.99 at Circuit City.....

Now just to decide black or natrual

Last edited by mgicash; 11-23-04 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,448 Posts
That's a pretty good deal. How tall are these shelves?
Old 11-23-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
That's a pretty good deal. How tall are these shelves?
Click on DVD2060N or DVD2060B for detailed specifications.
Old 11-24-04, 12:23 AM
Banned

168 DVD holder? Too small!
Old 11-24-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went today after picking up the Seinfeld sets. They had a ton in stock, unfortunately they were all black and I wanted "natural". They weren't the best looking towers, but for $25 it doesn't matter that much.
Old 11-24-04, 12:39 AM
Cool New Member

I have three of them as well, might just pick up my fourth being the price is so right.
Old 11-24-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hm gotta go to office max to check that out
Old 11-24-04, 01:06 AM

Folks this isn't a BF deal. It's thier regular sale. It started Sun and ends Wed. Sooooo.... if you want one you better go tomarrow.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I got one as well. Still not enough space, but the price is right and it's better than boxes on the floor.
Old 11-24-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ends tomorrow? Damn I better get there.
Old 11-24-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is this the same unit that used to always be on sale for $29.99?
Old 11-24-04, 03:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes.
Old 11-24-04, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

now if only i could find somewhere to put it lol
Old 11-24-04, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by nonametofame
Thanks, peach, i'm definitely going to go check them out. Sounds like a great price. BTW, it's great to have you posting on the forums. I enjoy the energy and enthusiasm you bring, not to mention the great deals like the B&N coupon you blessed us all with. Kudos to you and thanks again for the great catch on the dvd towers.
Awwww. Thank you!

Dmacsg1 — you have excellent taste. I bought 3 in black also LOL. But I have to disagree with you about the middle partition. I really really appreciate it when these assemble-it-yourself bookcase units are thoughtful enough to provide a stabilizing partition. This makes the unit stronger. As for the odd unused space . . . well it will come as no surprise to those of you who read my posts, I have, er, a, um, book or two (ahem) in need of a berth. One of the units is going to sit on my bedstand, and I have the usual odds-n-ends that I'm going to tuck into shelves. For me, the odd shelf thing isn't an issue. I never met a shelf I didn't like LOL.

mgicash —

cultshock — The dimensions are 60" HEIGHT / 19-3/4" WIDTH in fact (even though box says 20") / 9-3/8" (Base Depth) 6" (Shelf Depth) You can find excellent specs at the RACKSANDSTANDS site, here.

Krayzie — That's the problem I'm having. I know where I want to put one of them; it's the other two that I have to berth. But . . . Duty Calls, Men!

PEACH

Last edited by MISS PEACH; 11-24-04 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-24-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, Peach, you beat me to it I saw these yesterday in the BF Office Max ad and went by there myself last night to check them out. I also noticed they were already on sale. I was going to buy 4 of them but I did notice that it probably wouldn't hold the advertised 168 DVD's due to the fixed shelf or if the cases were oddly shaped (like many boxsets and such). I came to the conclusion that 4 would hold my current collection but no more. As soon as I get my DDD 20% off orders, I would be out of room again. I think I'm gonna build my own, make it 8 feet tall and 6' wide.
Old 11-24-04, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by freudguy
Wow, Peach, you beat me to it I saw these yesterday in the BF Office Max ad and went by there myself last night to check them out. I also noticed they were already on sale. I was going to buy 4 of them but I did notice that it probably wouldn't hold the advertised 168 DVD's due to the fixed shelf or if the cases were oddly shaped (like many boxsets and such). I came to the conclusion that 4 would hold my current collection but no more. As soon as I get my DDD 20% off orders, I would be out of room again. I think I'm gonna build my own, make it 8 feet tall and 6' wide.
Yes I see your point. Well in my particular case heh heh I have four "Barrister" bookcases (these are the ones with the glass pull-up fronts; I'm um, not good at dusting) and I generally place my more rare books in these . . . and any DVD's in cardboard cases (Digipaks etc.). Thus I separate my mighty stockpile of 102 DVDs LOL. I'm not a purist, you see; I do realize it would be blasphemous to many people here to (shhh! whisper it!) place items other than DVDs on those shelves. Dare I confess it? I may even place a

curio or two on some of the shelves.

Another concept I was toying with was making a "wall" out of the little guys. I've done this in my home office — by placing bookcases/file cabinets et al. back-to-back, and securing them with (any of a variety, velcro etc.) of "earthquake safety" products available at Home Depot on each unit's back side. I live on the San Andreas fault and believe me, I'm acquainted with the Earthquake Safety aisle at Home Depot heh heh.

Now these little DVD towers are imminently adaptable to that concept — two, conjoined back-to-back, would form a very nice 5-foot high wall with a depth of about a foot. Get 10 of them (if you're lucky, and can even find 10 of them, I got the last 3 black ones at my OM) and you would have a gorgeous, double-sided 8'4"-long + 5'-high Wall 'O DVD.

Try it! It works just beautifully and makes your space more intimate, as well.

PEACH

Last edited by MISS PEACH; 11-24-04 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-24-04, 10:35 AM

First off, thanks anyway to Miss Peach for posting this deal!

But now a tiny warning. ("Now a warning?")

Be sure to take a look at a display model before buying. I went to my local OfficeMax yesterday to buy one of these and I decided against it after looking at the display.

I found the construction and appearance to be a bit on the cheap side, even for particle board units. IMO, they don't look nearly as good as the ad photos indicate. The holes for the shelves were not cleanly drilled, the horizontal seam between the upper and lower assemblies was visible and the rear panel material was very flimsy. (The only had the black model on display so the horizontal seam would probably less visible in the natural color.)

I still think $24.99 price is a good deal but you might want to inspect a display model before you buy.

Bob
Old 11-24-04, 11:19 AM

MARKS-A-LOT
BLACK
(Or any of the furniture ink pens at Home Depot.)

In my particular case the units will be in rooms and/or locations that are by necessity dark (out of any direct sunlight at a minimum) and my bedroom is like a cave anyway LOL. Actually my whole house is a cave but . . . that's another story.

PEACH
Old 11-24-04, 12:37 PM

Yes, that's a good idea.

Bob

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
MARKS-A-LOT
BLACK
(Or any of the furniture ink pens at Home Depot.)
[/size]

PEACH
Old 11-24-04, 02:32 PM
Cool New Member

Are these really only 5 feet tall? They look at lot taller than that in the picture. Also, how sturdy are they or do you attach them to the wall? The previous dvd rack I had was top heavy and would fall over if you put too much on it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.