Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Potential Seinfeld deal???? Costco All 3 Seasons $31.99???

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 08:35 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is discussion over on HTF about there being a box set available at Costco with all 3 seasons in it for $31.99 (no its not the gift set according to the info).

The info comes from the wife of an employee at costco who has stated there is 1 SKU # listed in the computer for a box set containing all 3 seasons. They are selling the Gift Set as well for $71.99.

As many have speculated on HTF it is believed that this is really supposed to be $31.99each for the Seasons (I believe some members here have stated the same in another thread).

Who knows but its worth looking into if you are near a Costco.

Unfortunately I am not very close but will try to get there anyway unless someone can verify this first. I am on the east coast so Costco opens in about 30mins here (am an about 45mins away from there though).

Sorry if this is complete BS I am just passing on what I have read.

If this deal does exist than for sure is the hottest Seinfeld deal around but I am betting its a price mistake in the system.

Who knows.

Good Luck and hope it helps someone.

Greg

First post by Lanie Parker (HTF member)

Just wanted to give a heads up on the Seinfeld sets...

Costco has both the gift sets and then a boxset (no gifts) of all three seasons. The gift set is $77.99 and the boxset of all three is $31... My husband works there and he said he saw the shipment sitting in the warehouse and saw the prices for them. I asked if he misread and that the season sets were $31 a piece, but he said that all 3 seasons came in one boxset at that price...
Second post by Lanie Parker at HTF

Okay I misunderstood him, he didn't see the actual shipment. He read this on the computer at work. It said seasons 1,2 and 3 for $31.99. It could be that they are each $31.99, but he says he was positive that they were all together for that price. I guess we will find out on Tuesday huh?
Third post by Lanie Parker on HTF

Okay folks I had my husband check again regarding the price at Costco and it is official. Seasons 1-3 are together (without the gift sets) for the price of $31.99. It had one skew number for the item. If they were seperate it would have had two, he informed me.

This price is in store only. They are not selling the seasons without the giftsets online.
Old 11-23-04, 09:14 AM

So you're telling me Costco is selling a mini-script, a deck of cards, and salt and pepper shakers for about $46 and Seasons 1-3 for $32?
Old 11-23-04, 10:05 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kajs
So you're telling me Costco is selling a mini-script, a deck of cards, and salt and pepper shakers for about $46 and Seasons 1-3 for $32?
No I did not say they. They are selling the GIFT SET FOR $71.99

This "box set" is supposed to be JUST the DVD Releases nothing else in ONE BOX/BUNDLE

Greg
Old 11-23-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone able to confirm this? I'll brave the Costco madness (was there yesterday and it was INSANE!) at lunchtime if it is true.
Old 11-23-04, 10:13 AM

I'm refering to the ridiculousness of selling both of these sets for that big of a price difference. All you get if you buy the other box is that extra junk for an extra $46 which I don't see Costco doing.
Old 11-23-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

George Kaplan over at HTF just posted that his Costco was selling the seasons for $31.29 *each* --- no super-hot Seinfeld deal for me today
Old 11-23-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dah-Dee
George Kaplan over at HTF just posted that his Costco was selling the seasons for $31.29 *each* --- no super-hot Seinfeld deal for me today
u must be really angry
Old 11-23-04, 12:54 PM

$ 31.29 each at my local costco also.
Old 11-23-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Costco in Farmingdale, LI on my lunch.

All they had was the individual sets ($31.29 each) and the gift set ($79.99). Don't know if it scanned at those prices though, but that is what they were marked.
Old 11-23-04, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Dabaomb
u must be really angry
Nah, I went and bought a Nintendo DS instead.... does that make *you* angry?
Old 11-23-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How the heck did they get this wrong?
First, someone reports it, then people that work there confirm it, now it is like it never happened.
Old 11-23-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nah, I went and bought a Nintendo DS instead.... does that make *you* angry?
YES
Old 11-23-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Doug Schiller
First, someone reports it, then people that work there confirm it, now it is like it never happened.

"These aren't the discs you're looking for..."
Old 11-23-04, 04:15 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
They were $31.99 each at my Costco in New Rochelle, NY.

As others have said, no special deal on all three seasons for $31.99 unless they ring up that way at checkout.

Target at $27.99 each or Best Buy at $29.99 each plus bonus disk at better deals at the moment.
Old 11-23-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Doug Schiller
I think the problem was that (apparently) Costco uses the same Item Number for several titles, especially if they are all from the same studio and sell for the same price. See this thread for examples of multiple titles under a single Item Number. The description in the computer made it sound like all 3 seasons were bundled together.
Old 11-23-04, 05:13 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bhauge
I think the problem was that (apparently) Costco uses the same Item Number for several titles, especially if they are all from the same studio and sell for the same price. See this thread for examples of multiple titles under a single Item Number. The description in the computer made it sound like all 3 seasons were bundled together.
This is correct. I bought both vol. 1 and vol. 2 and they ring up with the same item number.

$31.29 at my store, FYI. Giftset was $76.

Costco thread will be up as soon, but here are the new prices:

Harry Potter $19 (there's a $4 off coupon on other DVDs that brings this down to $15)
Harry Potter 1-3 box set $37
Terminal $18.29 ($13.29 w/$5 coupon on another DVD)
Seinfeld v1 & 2 $31.29 each (giftset $76)

They have a bunch of DVDs out with a single coupon that's good for $5 off any single one of the following: Terminal, Collateral, Anchorman. The DVDs are either $9 or $13ea depending on the title. I'll post full details in the thread.
Old 11-23-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got both collections (Seasons 1& 2 and 3) combined at Best Buy for 31.98 (plus tax) after price-mathcing the 19.99 each Hollywood Video ad and applying the Madden 20% DVD coupon. No bonus disc, though, because they were all sold out.
Old 11-23-04, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Peep
I got both collections (Seasons 1& 2 and 3) combined at Best Buy for 31.98 (plus tax) after price-mathcing the 19.99 each Hollywood Video ad and applying the Madden 20% DVD coupon. No bonus disc, though, because they were all sold out.
damn thats a nice price too bad the nazis at my bestbuy would never let me use any coupons with pm's
Old 11-24-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm beginning to think the Best Buy Madden coupon combined with pricematching is a regional thing. I've tried 2 different stores in my area multiple times and I'm always denied, so I get one or the other but never both.

However, I keep hearing stories of others being able to combine both, so they can't all be wrong. You'd think Best Buy would have a uniform system across the country, but apparently not.

For me I got each Seinfeld set for $19.99 and a bonus DVD + magazine with each. For all I know, that magazine is probably free anyway.
Old 11-24-04, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Manzana
I'm beginning to think the Best Buy Madden coupon combined with pricematching is a regional thing. I've tried 2 different stores in my area multiple times and I'm always denied, so I get one or the other but never both.

However, I keep hearing stories of others being able to combine both, so they can't all be wrong. You'd think Best Buy would have a uniform system across the country, but apparently not.

For me I got each Seinfeld set for $19.99 and a bonus DVD + magazine with each. For all I know, that magazine is probably free anyway.
most likely they're not supposed to use the coupon cause the coupon says can not be combined with other offers but then again they should already have the best price since they are called best buy after all... lol
Old 11-24-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Manzana

you're not supposed to get both. The Madden coupon will take 20% off whatever price is in the computer (even sale prices). However, when you do a PM, and use the Madden coupon it will only go to the lower of the 2 options.

E.g. You have an item that's priced at $9.99 at Best Buy. You use the Madden coupon which would make it $7.99. You also try to PM to Circuit City which has it for $8.99. The computer would automatically choose the $7.99 price.

The only way to get both is if the CSR will manually adjust teh price to $7.19. I'm pretty sure that CSR's get in trouble for stuff like that.
Old 11-25-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You are right. I was told (and had no problem) with Best Buy telling me that the Madden 20% off coupon couldn't be combined with a pricematch because the story was consistent among stores in my area. In fact, after I was told that once at each store I no longer asked to combine the coupon with pricematches.

However, in this thread (and in several others) in the last several weeks I keep reading about other people saying they got a pricematch and the Madden 20% off coupon combined. Every time I read one of those posts, I post a question asking how/where this happened and so far I have not gotten a reply by any of the people who say they got both. The only reason I tried to combine both this last time is seeing so many others say they did it.

So as Spock might say... "There are 2 possibilities. They are unable to respond. They are unwilling to respond." No, seriously, though, there are 3 possibilities: (1) these people are just making it up to make others like me jealous, (2) these people have employees at their local stores who don't mind risking their jobs overriding the system, or (3) the computer systems in some areas of the country allow pricematches and the coupon to be combined. I'm curious which it is. I may never find out.
Old 11-25-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Manzana: it doesn't hurt to try to get both but when they're not able to give you both, I wouldn't complain. When you complain, esp. when the PM is crazy like with Seinfeld, there's always the possibility that one of the managers will no longer allow the PM for whatever reason.