Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty sure they are. Not sure how many each certain store with order or carry though.
Old 09-26-04, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im dumping:

How High
Big Fat Greek Wedding
Attack of the clones(foolscreen)
Porky's(bought doubles of this when there was a 5 for $25 deal by mistake)
Dude Where's my car
Vulgar
Pi
Stealing Harvard
Under Suspicion
The Contender
Old 09-27-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'll take part in this deal but I don't like to buy previously viewed dvds because I like mine to be in like new condition and most of the time they are not. So, I'll have to use it for rentals or new movies (prices will most likely suck though unless I save it on a giftcard for a deal later on).
Old 09-27-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prices will definitely suck on new movies. I am taking many movies in that I have been waiting to get rid of. You can check the discs before you buy and usually find ones that are in "like new" condition. I will use the GCs for PVDs and games.
Old 09-27-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scottall
You can check the discs before you buy and usually find ones that are in "like new" condition.
Just make sure you check them before they scan them - otherwise they have to go through the whole return process, and a few people will give you a hard time, quoting the "30 day return policy if it doesn't play".

I have had very good luck finding like new DVDs at BB, but sometimes you have to go through a few to find one.
Old 09-27-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess you guys have had better luck than I have with previously viewed. I also like the case to be like new and at the blockbusters in my area they usually have stickers all over them. I don't understand why they don't shrinkwrap them before they put stickers on them?

I have no problem buying used dvds as long as they are in very good condition. I buy or trade on the exchange forum but those are from a private owner who is usually just as anal as I I don't really like spending the time looking for or have someone look for a like new copy (no offense to you guys though). I would just rather pick the movie I want and buy it which is why I purchase most of my dvds from ddd or amazon. But this is a good deal so I might actually spend the time to find some good used ones to maximize the deal. Maybe I will have better luck this time like you guys have had.

Last edited by Shimmer35; 09-27-04 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by catsmeow
I kinda thought this might be what ends up happening. It seems way too good to be true that we can trade in $5.50 dvds for $8.00. It will be nice if they do. I have a feeling some will end up doing it and some won't.
I don't see why they wouldn't. Most of the titles in the Walmart dump bin aren't $5.50 everywhere else. I checked a bunch of movies I've gotten at Walmart against DDD, and they were mostly between $5.99 and $9.36.
Old 09-27-04, 03:56 PM

Are all Blockbusters going to be participating in this deal?
Old 09-27-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
I don't see why they wouldn't. Most of the titles in the Walmart dump bin aren't $5.50 everywhere else. I checked a bunch of movies I've gotten at Walmart against DDD, and they were mostly between $5.99 and $9.36.
Still Crazy is $21.36 at DDD, and no cheaper elsewhere. It is in the $5.50 bin at Walmart, but my local stores only have FS vs the WS/FS flippers some have.

Last Thursday I snagged a copy of "Return of the Pink Panther" for $5.50 at Walmart - this has been OOP since June and is going for some money on eBay (as much as $30-40).
Old 09-28-04, 03:08 PM

Does anyone know if this is the first time they're running a deal like this?
Old 09-28-04, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Shimmer35
I think I'll take part in this deal but I don't like to buy previously viewed dvds because I like mine to be in like new condition and most of the time they are not. So, I'll have to use it for rentals or new movies (prices will most likely suck though unless I save it on a giftcard for a deal later on).
Ditto. I've gotten rid of most of the pre-viewed DVDs I've purchased over the last few years, and as a rule I just don't buy them anymore.
Old 09-29-04, 10:57 AM

Is there any limit on the 8 for each? I have next to 100 that I'd give em for 8 bucks each...mostly previously viewed...
Old 09-29-04, 11:56 AM

I stopped by blockbuster yesterday and I noticed a flyer for this. However, mine was not offering an $8 minimum for each dvd. Instead, the flyer claimed you would receive a $5 minimum per dvd, but that certain dvds would be worth more.

I don't have the flyer in front of me right now, but I remember Beauty and the Beast and Shrek were worth something like $8 or $9 dollars, and I remember the Godfather Collection was listed at $25, but most of the discs listed were in the $5-$6 dollar range IIRC.

Granted, the flyer only had about 20-25 dvd prices listed, so they must have some master list in the computers for trade-in prices on all dvds they'll accept.

By the way, the same flyer had the prices for trade-in games on the reverse side. All I remember is that they'd buy Madden '05 for $35 and most every other new game was in the $25 range.
Old 09-29-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dorsalphin
I stopped by blockbuster yesterday and I noticed a flyer for this. However, mine was not offering an $8 minimum for each dvd. Instead, the flyer claimed you would receive a $5 minimum per dvd, but that certain dvds would be worth more.

I don't have the flyer in front of me right now, but I remember Beauty and the Beast and Shrek were worth something like $8 or $9 dollars, and I remember the Godfather Collection was listed at $25, but most of the discs listed were in the $5-$6 dollar range IIRC.

Granted, the flyer only had about 20-25 dvd prices listed, so they must have some master list in the computers for trade-in prices on all dvds they'll accept.

By the way, the same flyer had the prices for trade-in games on the reverse side. All I remember is that they'd buy Madden '05 for $35 and most every other new game was in the $25 range.
did you notice that the OP said that it would start on 10/3?
Old 09-29-04, 05:03 PM

Good point.

I did realize that this wasn't going to start until 10/3, however, although I may be wrong, I believe the flyer I was looking at was for October. I'll check it again when I get home.
Old 09-29-04, 06:37 PM

I would turn mine in but the bastards at blockbuster say I owe $8 in late fees when I returned them on time, this isn't the first time that blockbuster has pulled this, and just for that I may never walk into a blockbuster again.
Old 09-29-04, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by MJG87
I would turn mine in but the bastards at blockbuster say I owe $8 in late fees when I returned them on time, this isn't the first time that blockbuster has pulled this, and just for that I may never walk into a blockbuster again.
Yeah, you caught Blockbuster,...they secretly have all of the employee tap on late fees to customers account. Just like a lady today who handed me a movie to check it in so she'd "make sure there were no late fees" oh wait, what's this? It's late...that just can't be, they said to have it back my Tueday at noon....what's this? It's Wednesday and 5 in the afternoon? Ahh yes,...so much easier to blame someone else for your mistakes rather than to account for your own mistakes.

Last edited by iamOrokoSaki; 09-29-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by couch21
Any chance BBV is selling brand new copies of the Star Wars DVD set? I'm hoping since it's such a high-demand product that they'll have this on the shelves alongside all of their pre-viewed ones.
$54.99 new
Old 09-30-04, 01:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally posted by iamOrokoSaki
Yeah, you caught Blockbuster,...they secretly have all of the employee tap on late fees to customers account. Just like a lady today who handed me a movie to check it in so she'd "make sure there were no late fees" oh wait, what's this? It's late...that just can't be, they said to have it back my Tueday at noon....what's this? It's Wednesday and 5 in the afternoon? Ahh yes,...so much easier to blame someone else for your mistakes rather than to account for your own mistakes.
Yes, its a conspiracy. We love to have your hot movies sit out and not get checked in just so YOU can get late fee's and piss off customers who want to rent that movie. Yes, makes perfect sense.

Like I said, its starts October 3rd. The red advertisement you saw has been in stores for 3-4 weeks, well before this was announced.
Old 09-30-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I went by my 'local' BBV and asked the MOD if they had heard about this weekend's promotion. "Nothing," was his answer.

But I did notice that they broke street date on The War Room, too bad its MSRP ($14.99).

Ill wait and see come Sunday, I might have to visit other BBVs in the Metro area to get the $8 deal.
Old 10-01-04, 02:12 PM

Just went by my local BB. They said starting Tuesday, they are giving $8 of store credit for any DVD trade-in that has a UPC code and a case. The woman said the promotion would last for "the first month".

I don't doubt they will take DVDs we would consider bargain bin titles (since many of them are still regularly-priced at other stores), but I still do not believe they can afford to take in the $1 Walmart titles.
Old 10-01-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tuesday?

What about Sunday?
Old 10-01-04, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by conscience
Tuesday?

What about Sunday?
The OP said 10/3, the lady at the store said Tuesday. Might be a YMMV thing. I wasn't going to race over there Sunday morning anyway.
Old 10-01-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anyone know any stores in the Tampa area that will run this promotion? I called 4 different stores, and none of them had any idea what I was talking about.
Old 10-01-04, 04:10 PM

My Blockbuster claims that only southern stores are doing this on a trial type basis. Maybe stores in the Omaha, NE area will start a trade in program at the beginning of next year. I'm still going to call all the stores just in case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.