Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Anybody know what Wal Mart is going to charge for Star Wars?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Anybody know what Wal Mart is going to charge for Star Wars?

Old 09-22-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
Orange County Walmart is 43.99. I brought in the Fry's ad, and after around 10 minutes of waiting, they told me that Fry's was not in their list of competitors that they PM. This is at a location that is within 10 minutes of TWO Fry's. .....
There is no "official list" of competitors that Wal-Mart can only compete with their prices. It would be interesting to see if your local store is traited as a "Comp Store." If so, they would HAVE to honor the ad if the Fry's is within the 10 minute drive like you said. In fact the official Wal-Mart policy states that customers do not even have to bring in the printed ads, the stores should already have them with their CSMs. If you want to cause them a bit of trouble and perhaps make your price matching there a bit easier in the future, I suggest that you file a complaint with Wal-Mart. It's the only way the higher ups in the store and perhaps beyond will know that something is not right.

It's best if you have a receipt from the store and at the top you'll find the store number next to "ST#" in the top line. Call 1-800-WAL-MART (1-800-925-6278) choose option 1, then option 3. Calmly explain to them that you attempted to price match an advertised price by a local competitor and you were not granted the price match with a printed ad that you presented at the store and you'd like to know why. You could also request that you would like to be contacted by the store manager. Wal-Mart will send notification to the store of your issue and the store manager will be REQUIRED to respond to your issue. It's sent almost instantaneously and Management at the store will have approximately 2 days in order to follow-up with it, or face having it escalated to the District Manager.

I will credit Wal-Mart in that their slogan in their stores of "Your Satisfaction Is Guaranteed" is something that they really bend over backward for at least in the past when I've had issues at stores.
Old 09-22-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, some great deals at some of the Wal-Marts. The one in Stevenson Ranch (or Santa Clarita), CA is $42.87. I ended up trading in dvds at the nearest Blockbuster. I ended up spending .51 cents after the trade in.
Old 09-22-04, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kind of an irritating thing Wal-Mart won't do, they will not pricematch against themselves... (at least our walmart) if you see an item at walmart.com for a cheaper price, they will NOT pricematch it.

Policy says they will not pricematch another walmart store, but Ive heard of it being done before, if a person makes enough of an ass out of themselves.
Old 09-22-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,485 Posts
Hmm... well, here's what happened at the OC Walmart that refused to PM:

The person who was in the Electronics Dept. said she'd have to check with a manager. Another person there told her that they definitely pricematch with Fry's, she'd been told to do it before by another supervisor. The first person replied that she had worked in customer service before and had refused Fry's PM before.

After about 10 phone calls and a long wait, a manager finally came, showed me a list of stores that are "competitors" that they pricematch with (I guess each store has an abbreviated code for PMing) and showed me that Fry's was not on it. I asked here about three times if that meant that she would not pricematch my ad, but not understanding what I was saying, she kept on saying "we do, we do... but only with these stores" Since Fry's opens pretty early anyway, and it wasn't that far away, I decided not to pursue it because it would just end up in more of my morning wasted, and I could just take my business elsewhere. Besides, all of their boxes were bent, and there were no displays or signs at all of the "exclusive" figures Walmart was supposed to have. What's even weirder is that there is a CompUSA RIGHT NEXT to the Walmart... I wonder if they changed their price after CompUSA opened.
Old 09-22-04, 10:59 AM
Banned

$34.87 in Lynnwood Washington. This store seems to be serious about beating other prices on a regular basis.
Old 09-22-04, 01:38 PM

42.87 at the wal-mart in The Colony, Tx.

Roozilla, which wal-mart did you get it for 34 and change?
Old 09-22-04, 02:18 PM

$42.99 plus tax in Chelmsford MA
Old 09-22-04, 03:43 PM

Even though they promised a price that would be the lowest in town, Toledo, OH's walmart price was 44.87
Old 09-22-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
Hmm... well, here's what happened at the OC Walmart that refused to PM: ....
I can only tell you that there is no "official" list from their corporate offices of stores that they are supposed to only price-match. There are stores that Wal-Mart routinely looks at and matches those prices automatically based on their ads, but if you have a legitimate ad from a competitor they should have accepted it.

If I were you, I'd still cause Wal-Mart and let them know, it's just a matter of principle. They didn't have an "always low price" that day.
Old 09-23-04, 03:28 PM

$39.88 at Bolingbrook Illinois (Route 53) Wal-mart.

Only Gold Pan & Scan in stock as of Thursday September 23, 2004.
Old 09-23-04, 04:04 PM

44.97 in Marlton, NJ on Route 70 (Boo!)
Old 09-23-04, 05:38 PM

Walmart in Eugene OR (Delta Highway near G.I. Joes NOT W. 11th) 39.98