Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy's Free Gift With the Star Wars Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went to Best Buy today and they told me that the magazine would scan as $0.00 but cashiers are supposed to only give it to you if you buy the Trilogy or Battlefront.

However, it should scan as $0.00 if you get a clueless cashier.

I think this is still $4.99 online though.
Old 09-21-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rockmjd23
I wouldnt worry that you took 1 copy. The magazines are pretty crappy. My guess is by monday the individual price will drop to $.01 much like the kill bill sleeve, the madden book, and the gamepro magazine. no reason to lose sleep over it.
At the best buy i went to it already rings up zero. I already had the DVDs, but wanted the magazine. The add says its free with the gba game, which is the only new star wars release i didn't have. However, they didn't get in or it wasn't unpacked. So I took the magazine to the counter explained the game wasn't unpacked yet, and could i just buy the magazine? She rang it up, it said zero so she gave it to me with a receipt.
Old 09-21-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't wanna add flame to any fires [or have anyone call the authorities], but after reading one of the 2,391 "bargain" Star Wars threads, I decided to buy it at CompUSA [especially since my "Reward Zone" card expired and I don't feel like renewing or going through the potential drama of a "pricematch"].

Since Best Buy is located before CompUSA, I stopped there to get reamed by Norah Jones by picking up her re-release of "Feels Like Home" with bonus songs and DVD.

Anyways...while the chick was ringing me up, she had a variety of magazines laying on the counter near the register. As my credit card was being processed, I picked one of these puppies up and thumbed through it. Nothing spectacular. When she was handing me my reciept, I asked her how much the mag was and she told me it was free and put it in my bag..
Old 09-22-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called my friend this afternoon to see if he was able to get to Best Buy to do the price match with the Fry's ad. (Best Buy appox 40 miles away, Oxnard, Fry's 70, Woodland Hills).

Wal-Mart is across the street from BB and doesn't consider Fry's a 'local' competitor, since there are other Wal-Marts closer.

Anyways, he said there were only about ten people at BB, and he was told $45 for the DVD's and magazine, or $51 if he wanted 2 Cokes, popcorn and candy.

He pulled out the Fry's ad, and was told they'd match, and give him the magazine, but not the junk food. He said that was fine, took the box and mag to the checkout, then grabbed one Coke for the drive back to work.

The manager was hanging around the registers and asked him if he knew he could get more food for just a couple more bucks.

He said the lady he had just talked to had said he couldn't because he was price matching.

The manager said, "So what?", grabbed another Coke, some popcorn, asked if M & M's were ok, threw the food in one bag, the DVD's and mag in another and it cost him $39 and change after the Fry's match and tax.

JP
Old 09-22-04, 01:22 AM

That's what gets me.. there are employees that go out of their way to limit items that customers are entitled to get (discounts). It's cool when management points out the employee being wrong. I believe employees excercise any power they may think they have to feel better about their job. If it means inventing store policy to deny you something, they'll do it and feel great they just screwed you over on a 'deal'. I've come across quite a few by deal shopping and getting denied the discount/offer when everyone else and their brother is posting on deal boards about how awesome whatever deal they got in their local such-and-such store went. My BB is notorious for giving the customer a hard time when it comes to saving money. I got lucky on Tuesday with my trilogy box set. 9 times out of 10 they look at the fine print with a magnifying glass and electron microscope to make sure it is valid (or find something vague that they argue renders the coupon invalid). Tricky bastids!
Old 09-22-04, 03:12 AM

I was off from work yesterday and was at a local Best Buy when they opened. I grabbed the Star Wars Set and the magazine and went to the customer service desk for a price match with my CompUSA ad (I put the magazine to the side...not sure the clerk even saw it). The clerk asked a manager if they were going to match the CompUSA price. From a distance, the manager said they would but the clerk would have to call CompUSA to see if it was in stock(since it was first thing in the morning, I have no doubt that it was). The clerk never even bothered to call. She filled out the paperwork and rang it up at the lower price. I threw the magazine in my bag and off I went.
Old 09-22-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by BenCJedi
That's what gets me.. there are employees that go out of their way to limit items that customers are entitled to get (discounts). It's cool when management points out the employee being wrong. I believe employees excercise any power they may think they have to feel better about their job. If it means inventing store policy to deny you something, they'll do it and feel great they just screwed you over on a 'deal'. I've come across quite a few by deal shopping and getting denied the discount/offer when everyone else and their brother is posting on deal boards about how awesome whatever deal they got in their local such-and-such store went. My BB is notorious for giving the customer a hard time when it comes to saving money. I got lucky on Tuesday with my trilogy box set. 9 times out of 10 they look at the fine print with a magnifying glass and electron microscope to make sure it is valid (or find something vague that they argue renders the coupon invalid). Tricky bastids!
This is really dependent on who the cashier/employee is you're dealing with, but I agree completely.

This is the reason why I hate price-matching. It's sometimes not worth the $2-3 you're trying to save, but to each his own.
Old 09-22-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ususally its not a case of the employee trying to exert power, but the employee following rules that he/she has heard or seen others do. If anything, after working at Target for a year and a half, its worse having a manager come and override policies because one customer is bitching as it makes the employee look bad. (note: I know this isn't the case here for pricematching, but just in general)
Old 09-22-04, 12:08 PM

I bought the set today from Best Buy and it was $38.99. The shelf tag said $42.99 but the isle display had a hand written note on it for the lower price. I wonder if this store did it just to avoid the price matching headaches with CompUSA. I had a reward zone certificate about to expire and used it to drop it another $5.
Old 09-23-04, 10:04 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Centurion
This is the reason why I hate price-matching. It's sometimes not worth the $2-3 you're trying to save, but to each his own.
Exactly. I'm on a tight budget, but my time and the lack of frustration is more than worth the couple bucks I'd save price matching.
Old 09-23-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was kinda neat.
Old 09-23-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by johnbe
I bought the set today from Best Buy and it was $38.99. The shelf tag said $42.99 but the isle display had a hand written note on it for the lower price. I wonder if this store did it just to avoid the price matching headaches with CompUSA. I had a reward zone certificate about to expire and used it to drop it another $5.
anyone else have this happen at their local BB store?
Old 09-23-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by asianxcore
anyone else have this happen at their local BB store?
not at the Chelsea store in Manhattan
Old 09-23-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I totally forgot about the free gift. I was too busy being happy that the location still had some Madden coupon books. Oh well. It'll take me long enough to get through the DVDs I bought, let alone another magazine.
Old 09-23-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
no price drop to 38.99 at my store (Marin City, California) either.

when I walked out one of the workers checked my bag, then gave me one of Star Wars mags. almost forgot about it. it's neat.