Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection - Post Best Deals

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-06-04, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection due for release on 9/7/04.

Titles:
* Dial M for Murder
* Foreign Correspondent
* Suspicion
* The Wrong Man
* Stage Fright
* I Confess
* Mr. and Mrs. Smith
* Strangers On A Train: 2-Disc cSpecial Edition
* North By Northwest: Special Edition

Retail for the set is $99.95.

Best prices so far:
Amazon - $62.95 w/STL Free Ship
DVDSoon - $62.96 Free Ship

The wild cards are Costco and Deep Discount DVD.
Costco will probably be between $62-69 initially and then a month
or two later have a $20 discount. DDD price currently is $74.93 but this could dip closer to release date and of course the expected 20% discount around the holidays which at the current price would make DDD the leader at $59.94. I really don't expect BB, CC or any other B&M to get close (other than the warehouse clubs: Costco, BJ, Sams).

Now the choice is pre-order now or wait for the smoke to clear. I have a big itch to get this set especially since I sold Strangers On A Train and North by Nortwest in anticipation of this release. Oh hell I'll probably order with Amazon.

Box Set Details and Cover Art

Last edited by tjn007; 08-06-04 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pre-ordered some time ago from amazon with stl.
Old 08-06-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

STL
Old 08-06-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I did the STL thing. Don't think we will find a better deal.
Old 08-06-04, 08:19 PM

You might want to wait for the DDD Christmas sale if you don't need to own it ASAP.
Old 08-06-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually don't pre-order much, but went with Amazon STL on this.
Old 09-01-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bump
Old 09-01-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Geist
You might want to wait for the DDD Christmas sale if you don't need to own it ASAP.
DDD may increase the price before then. And it's not 100% certain there will be a sale.
Old 09-01-04, 03:55 PM

i have a questioin. does amazon usually ship items on the release date or before?

btw the best deal i can find is on amazon with stl. i would think costco would have a low price but they dont even have it on their website.

Last edited by toccoa_winters; 09-01-04 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by toccoa_winters
i have a questioin. does amazon usually ship items on the release date or before?

btw the best deal i can find is on amazon with stl. i would think costco would have a low price but they dont even have it on their website.
They often do if you pre-order early enough or your item isn't too popular. I had to wait a while for my Monster Legacy and Scarface Box Sets because I lagged on ordering them promptly.

On the other hand, I've had stuff like Criterions Lower Depths and Rules of the Game show up on my doorstep on their respective release dates.
Old 09-01-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Costco is the wildcard, as usual. This box set is something they should stock, but if you check Blade's weekly thread, a lot of similar things haven't been showing up in their stores.

I placed my order with Amazon (w/STL) months ago. As they seem to wait one or two days after the release date to ship my items (YMMV), I'm making a Costco run on Tueday... if they do indeed stock this set and the price is the same or less, I'll cancel my Amazon order (if it hasn't...by some miracle...already shipped) and pick it up there.
Old 09-01-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by RevKarl
... if they do indeed stock this set and the price is the same or less, I'll cancel my Amazon order (if it hasn't...by some miracle...already shipped) and pick it up there.
I doubt it would be much less and if it's the same, then you will save on the sales tax. Costco is great if they have the best price and/or you want the title now as opposed to ordering online. The only downside I see (other than a much larger price difference) would be that you would get floaters from your on-line order. I have had generally good luck in not getting damaged discs. Amazon does a good job in packing and getting delivered by on or near release date.
Old 09-01-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm wondering if Fry's will have any deal. I got the B5 movie set and the Scorsese for $29.99 each. But they were only 1 or 2 day sales.

I'll wait for it to either show up there for a good price or just hold off till Christmas. I have too much new stuff right now, so there's no point in getting all excited about it unless a killer deal shows up.
Old 09-01-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RevKarl
Costco is the wildcard, as usual. This box set is something they should stock, but if you check Blade's weekly thread, a lot of similar things haven't been showing up in their stores.

I placed my order with Amazon (w/STL) months ago. As they seem to wait one or two days after the release date to ship my items (YMMV), I'm making a Costco run on Tueday... if they do indeed stock this set and the price is the same or less, I'll cancel my Amazon order (if it hasn't...by some miracle...already shipped) and pick it up there.
If Costco does have it, it would be the best deal. But I do doubt it, they don't have the Scorsese box (at least the two near me)
Old 09-02-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by natevines
If Costco does have it, it would be the best deal. But I do doubt it, they don't have the Scorsese box (at least the two near me)
Yes, but they have carried other "Signature Collections".
Old 09-04-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection - Post Best Deals

Originally posted by tjn007
Best prices so far:
Amazon - $62.95 w/STL Free Ship
DVDSoon - $62.96 Free Ship[/B]
Even better...

PlayCentric.com:
$62.64 (new free shipping policy on all items)
http://www.playcentric.com/dvd/produ...y=USD&show=YES
Old 09-04-04, 08:33 PM

It looked like most/all of the movies in the set were full screen. Is this true? I was hoping they'd be widescreen.
Old 09-04-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by whoster69
It looked like most/all of the movies in the set were full screen. Is this true? I was hoping they'd be widescreen.
They're in their OAR (original aspect ratio). Most of them are supposed to be in full screen because wide screen didn't even exist when some of them were made. For instance, Strangers on a Train's OAR is full screen.
Old 09-04-04, 09:28 PM

Oh. I hadn't considered that. OAR sounds great then!

Thanks for setting me straight!
Old 09-06-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got my shipping notice this morning from Amazon!!! One thing though, the STL is gone!!! I had checked the web site yesterday and it was still there with the 62.95 total price. Anyone else have this happen? Whats the best process for getting this corrected?

The following items were included in this shipment:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
1 Alfred Hitchcock:Signature Col $69.94 1 $69.94

Item Subtotal: $69.94
Shipping & Handling: $2.98
Super Saver Discount: -$2.98
Total: $69.94
Paid by Visa: $69.94

Just checked the STL section here and found the thread about Amazon removing the STL discounts. I will try an email first and see how that goes. This was my first STL experience and probably my last.

Last edited by ernestrp; 09-06-04 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-06-04, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ernestrp
I just got my shipping notice this morning from Amazon!!! One thing though, the STL is gone!!! I had checked the web site yesterday and it was still there with the 62.95 total price. Anyone else have this happen? Whats the best process for getting this corrected?

I will try an email first and see how that goes. This was my first STL experience and probably my last.
Don't waste your time with email. Amazon's CSR's are available 24/7. Call them at 800-201-7575 and they'll issue a $6.99 refund to your credit card. I've been using amazon's STL for about a year and have never experienced a problem with STL credits dropping until this past week. Don't abandon it just yet. Give 'em a chance to fix things.
Old 09-06-04, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cupon
Don't waste your time with email. Amazon's CSR's are available 24/7. Call them at 800-201-7575 and they'll issue a $6.99 refund to your credit card. I've been using amazon's STL for about a year and have never experienced a problem with STL credits dropping until this past week. Don't abandon it just yet. Give 'em a chance to fix things.
Thanks, called that number. Didnt think the call was going to well as I was put on hold for a couple of minutes while the csr said he would check with the supervisor. When he came back he said he supply my information to STL department and they would contact me in about 1 buisness day about it but they would probably just issue me a 6.99 refund. I will wait and see.
Old 09-06-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same problem here, I called the same number and got the same result -- to expect to hear back from the relevant department within a day or so.
Old 09-06-04, 08:54 AM

How much is it at costco
Old 09-06-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For more info on the problems people are having getting their STL discounts, see this thread on the STL forum.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.