Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster Lowers Price on Trade In DVDs $4.99

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts
My best find was Spirited Away. But that was awhile ago during one of the sales.
Old 07-22-04, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing is it sure seems to matter which BB u happen to go to. At the Perth Amboy, NJ store I picked up Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels, Goldmember WS and MIB 2 WS. Not to bad, they also had a few others that were good but I already had.

The second store I went to in Woodbridge had nothing but the worst crap ever. I don't know if I would have spent $5 on the whole selection. Way 2 much Stallone.
Old 07-22-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the post. I hadn't been to Blockbuster in a long time & everything was in a different spot. They had all their previously viewed movies on a table when you first walk in. I took a walk around the store & didn't find anything. Was about to give up & leave when I spotted a little rack in front of the left checkout with the $4.99 trade-in discs.

Lots of $5.50 Wal-Mart movies, public domain titles, & older versions of Panic Room & The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. The best thing I saw was The Man Who Wasn't There, but I already own it. Ended up getting Far From Heaven & a Hulk cartoon disc(which I'm really excited about because it has a 60s episode as a bonus - great theme song!). Also saw Iris, Levity, a Parker Posey movie I never heard of, a couple of Americanized Jackie Chans, & a 2 pack of bad Hulk tv movies (with Thor & Daredevil guest stars).
Old 07-23-04, 01:56 AM

I totally forgot to post some of my finds. I went to about three stores. All the titles mentioned below were from one store.

Well some of my buys were:

Adaptation
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
In the Bed Room
The Good Girl
Kill Bill

An awesoe buy by my roomate was:
The Project Greenlight First Season Boxset.

Alot of Cabin Boys, Monty Walsh, and some other cheap bargain bin items.
Old 07-23-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked The In-Laws (remake) and Miss Congeniality (Love Sandra Bullock) - there was a Matchstick Men but it was badly scratched.

The guy working at one store told me someone had traded in Deliverance and Return of the King earlier, but they went quickly.
Old 07-23-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mileage definitely varies, but I was able to pick up The Cell, Solaris, Far From Heaven and The Bonfire of the Vanities. (Loved the book and have "The Devil's Candy" about the making of the lousy film, but had never seen the film.) Not bad for $20.
Old 07-23-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've picked up Secretary, Tomb Raider 2, and Adaptation. There's been some other good stuff that I already own like Mulholland Dr, Intolerable Cruelty, Annie Hall, and About a Boy (FS though IIRC).

Definitely worth at least a look.
Old 07-23-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's especially worth a look since they have all the trade-ins grouped together on a table or endcap - its not like you have to flip through dozens or hundreds of crappy or overpiced dvds to look for decent ones, as you do on their regular PVD shelves.
Old 07-23-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got Sniper 2, Swimfan, and Anger Management (WS). Couldn't pull the trigger on Dumb & dumberer though even at $4.99. Skipped on Mission to Mars & How High as well. I'm getting really picky lately on what I have in my collection. In my previous spending days I probably would've picked up everything on that endcap.
Old 07-23-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the heads up,

not much at mine, but I picked up all for 4.99

Phonebooth (P/V)
One Hour Photo (Trade in)
Wrong Turn (Trade in)
Old 07-26-04, 08:00 AM

Went to another store and got A.I. and Auto Focus for $2.99 each - that particular store was selling all PVD without a cover for that price.
Old 07-26-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After hitting about a dozen BBVs, also picked up:

Nightmare on Elm Street
Blue Crush
State and Main
Hollow Man
Excel Sage Vol. 1
The Last Seduction
The Black Stallion
The Bounty
A Bridge Too Far

(last three for other people)
Old 07-31-04, 11:02 AM

I got $4.99 ea.:

-In hell (Van damne)
-Phone booth
-House of 1000 corpses
-Child's play

Patrick
Old 07-31-04, 10:21 PM
Cool New Member

"Anger Management, Outland, Traffic, For the Love of the Game, and Boondock Saints" That's a pretty sweet deal on those.

"I have seen a bunch of discs that were shrinkwrapped and looked brand new (Planet of the Apes, for example). - if it's the new version, I don't consider it a bargain.
Old 08-03-04, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I overlooked this thread this whole time thinking the subject line meant one could trade in dvd's for $4.99 not buy traded in dvd's for that price. I'm going to have to see what mine has now.

What type of condition are these generally in and do they come with the artwork/inserts?
Old 08-03-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The condition can vary a lot - usually they are very good, some have been like new - but if it is a fairly rare or recent DVD chances are they traded it in because it was scratched up pretty badly. I have seen copies of Fantasia, Matchstick Men, Magnolia and Gladiator Signtaure Series on the trade-in rack which were badly scratched. OTOH, I have snagged copies of T3 and 28 Days Later in great condition while they were still priced $14.99 on the pre-viewed shelf (a while ago).

I always check before they scan them, that way I don't have to bother with returns.
Old 08-03-04, 10:33 PM

This thread mentioned people trading in the dregs of their DVD collections. Which deal are people using to trade in their DVDs to Blockbuster? Does Blockbuster give a certain minimum amount for any used DVD trade-in, or is the deal only in conjunction with buying a new release DVD from them?
Old 08-04-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were doing a deal where you could trade in any old DVD and get certain new releases for $12.99 - it is not currently active in my area, not sure if they have stopped permanently or not.

I saw in another thread that they are supposed to start a trade-in deal where you get a certain amount of credit for your used DVDs, which you coudl then use to buy anything in the store.

There was a bunch of junk, but occasionally you could find some decent titles.
Old 08-21-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well a lot of what is $4.99 is crapola at the store near me, but they do have some surprises.

They had

The Deep End
Gosford Park (which was the only one I got. If it weren't that price I would never have picked it up.)
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (which I was going to get, but whoever traded it in had their name written on the front of the snap case in pen...so I passed although I might go back. not sure)
Lovely and Amazing
and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I wish I could find Kill Bill for 4.99 (they didn't even have it in P/V.)

Also picked up Elephant and In America in 2 for $20

Rented City of God and House of Sand and Fog with this $1.99 card I got in the mail which is good til 8/31.

Not bad.

Last edited by conscience; 08-21-04 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-21-04, 09:14 PM

Just to let everyone know, if you want to take advantage of this it will have to be this week. Next week anything that is left will be field destroyed on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 08-21-04, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Thanks- I never noticed this thread before.
Old 08-22-04, 12:44 AM
Cool New Member

I don't mean to gloat ...

oh, who am I kidding, this is just too sweet!
Today I went to about 8 different Blockbusters between Davis, CA and Berkeley and bought 12 generic-case DVDs and trade-ins at $5 each including (No Lie):
Brazil - Criterion 3-disk !
and
Girl With A Pearl Earring
In America
Triplettes Of Bellevue
Russian Ark
Casa De Los Babys
Femme Fatale
The Man Who Wasn't There
Sling Blade
Spawn
Children of Heaven
Selena Live
Old 08-22-04, 12:22 PM

i went to mine last night and picked up cut throat for 4.99 not the best deal but i am horror nut