Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

SCTV Network 90 for 29.99 at Blockbuster!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

SCTV Network 90 for 29.99 at Blockbuster!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you positive they even ordered it? One thing people with Voyager Season Two were running into were clerks who thought all they had to do was do the pre order in the computer and that would somehow magically order it from Ingram for them. Actually, in addition to the pre order, they have to pysyically call the order in to Ingram themselves and tell them they need a copy.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me. Is topped in to the store tonight, and the manager promised to call Ingram on Monday to confirm it was shipped and order it if it wasn't. Let's see if Ingram puts out a hassle over the price.

BTW, I called on Tuesday to check if the set had come in. The mangager had to look it up and promised to call back, but never did. I called again on Thursday and talked to a different manager, who made the same promise and never followed up either. I know it may seem hypocritcal to bring it up in a thread about taking advantage of a misprice, but BB's poor customer service is one of the reasons I don't feel bad about taking advantage of the deal.
Old 06-13-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No hypocrisy at all - nobody cares a whit about customer service when everything is according to plan and on track. It is only when things are out of the ordinary and off-track that customer service counts. Mis-prices are clear a case of the later and BBV's erratic handling of them is proof that they really don't emphasize customer service in what little training they give their employees.
Old 06-14-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my set this morning, and had no problems at all. In fact, I was told it is still 29.99 in their computer, for those of you who haven't special ordered this yet.
Old 06-14-04, 01:29 PM

I pre-ordered the set in mid-May, paying full price in cash up front, then was denied last Tuesday when I tried to pick it up (they hadn't even ordered it). Said I would have to pay an additional $60; I took my refund and told store manager I would take it up the line. So I went on the Blockbuster Web site last Wednesday, went to "Contact Us"/Service Concern, and sent an email explaining my complaint. Got a call this morning from Blockbuster's regional office, very apologetic, saying of course they would honor the price and where would I like to pick it up.
Old 06-14-04, 07:41 PM

I struck out at my local BB, they said they called to order and were not able to get a copy. Too bad, for that price I would have loved it.
Old 06-14-04, 08:58 PM

Mine came in later last week - and its been great.

Thanks again for the deal!
Old 06-14-04, 10:37 PM

"Not able to get a copy." WTF is that?

This thing is a bestseller, how can it not be available. Of course the real reason is that they don't want to deal with the price discrepency and are trying to avoid the issue. If you pre-paid you should not acquiesce so easily.
Old 06-15-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
"Not able to get a copy." WTF is that?

This thing is a bestseller, how can it not be available. Of course the real reason is that they don't want to deal with the price discrepency and are trying to avoid the issue. If you pre-paid you should not acquiesce so easily.
I would agree with this advice. Too many of you are simply throwing in the towel too easilly. Hey, if you have an extra sixty bucks to burn for no good reason at all, go for it, but I get the feeling their unability to get a copy is more like this:

BB Clerk calls Ingram: "I have a DVD order.....and SCTV Network 90 Volume 1."
Ingram Rep: "That is available from our warehouse and the cost on that is 89.99."
BB Clerk notices you only paid 29.99 for it: "Cancel that order for SCTV."
BB Clerk to the customer: "Sorry, it's simply unavailable."

I'd be more forceful, and ask for a DM phone number if all else fails. Tell them your "friend" got his copy from another Blockbuster, so you know it's available to other BB's and see where that takes you.
Old 06-15-04, 10:55 AM

Confirmed with my local Blockbuster (Indiana) today that this set is still available in their system for $29.99...
Old 06-16-04, 01:53 AM

I second that confirmation
Old 06-16-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pensuaco
I second that confirmation
Uh, you mean you third it?

Originally posted by ME
I got my set this morning, and had no problems at all. In fact, I was told it is still 29.99 in their computer, for those of you who haven't special ordered this yet.
Just joshin' ya. I figured the thread needed a good bump. I haven't seen anybody saying they went in to special order this since I made that post and am hoping those who need to see it actually see it.
Old 06-17-04, 01:39 AM

I made my special order today and with my employee discount it came to just about $25, my manager called the order in to Ingram and said it went through and would be in in about a week. I'm amazed that nobody has caught on to this mistake yet, this is a serious misprice, I figure they have to be losing quite a bit on each of these sets that they sell at this price.

A big thank you to calhoun07 for catching this deal, I wanted this set from the second I heard about it but wasn't going to get it because of the price.
Old 06-17-04, 09:32 AM

I read about this last week. Went straight to Blockbuster and put in my order. Arrived yesterday went down and picked it up. No questions at all. Sweet. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-17-04, 02:07 PM

Although my pre-order from a few months ago never went through, the manager re-ordered it last week, and yesterday he told me "they have it in Memphis, so I should have mine by Monday or Tuesday." I assume Memphis is their stock hub or something. Anyway, if he's right, I'm happy.

JiM
Old 06-17-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered mine last Tuesday, they called that it was in yesterday, and i picked it up today. No problem at all. Glad I found this thread.
Old 06-19-04, 07:58 AM

I ordered mine last Wednesday, and yesterday they called to say it was in. They wouldn't let me pre-pay on it on the chance that they "couldn't get it in" for some reason (which didn't inspire a lot of confidence), so I went in ready to argue about the price. It automatically rang up at $29.99, and I walked out happy.

Thanks to the OP for finding this deal!!
Old 06-19-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine went and put in a special order for it after I picked up mine and its still 29.99.

I've started to watch mine and its such a great set, its going to suck to pay full price when Vol.2 comes out in the fall.
Old 06-21-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geez - I ordered mine at the end of April and it is still not in. I call them every other day and they assure me it has been ordered, just not arrived.
Old 06-21-04, 10:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I ordered two sets, from two different stores, same city...

One store got it in on release day, the other still has it on "order."

Funny how BBV works...
Old 06-22-04, 03:03 PM

Finally got a call that my set was in today - no problem with the order at all. They had not initially ordered it when I did the preorder but when they finally did it still came up as $29.99 in the computer. Interesting thing - I gave a deposit of $28.99. When I picked it up they charged me $1.06 extra. They only charged me sales tax on the remaining portion of the balance.
Old 06-22-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up my set today. There were some hiccups along the way, but I got the set in a week once the manager of the store got involved.

I've been a fan of SCTV since discovering it during its second year in syndication, but I thought I was going to have to pass on this set due to the price. Thanks to those posted the info about this deal, and to those who kept encouraging us to stick it out.

TomG
"Johnny LaRue made a great dent on my conscience - he's like a real big Jiminy Cricket continuously urging me to drink and do the mambo." - VMacek on alt.tv.sctv
Old 06-22-04, 10:51 PM

I got the no-tax-on-deposit for mine too.
Old 06-22-04, 11:10 PM

Finally got mine today as well. THANKS!!!!
Old 06-23-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
After reading all these successes, I just went to my local Blockbuster to give it a shot. I told the kid at the counter I wanted to see about ordering SCTV on DVD. He looked it up in the system and said, "Here it is. SCTV 5-DVD set for $29.99. You can pay $5 now and the rest later or all of it now."

I paid for the whole thing. I have a receipt which says "Balance due: 0". Here's hoping all goes well!
Old 06-23-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck JD.

I went yesterday and ordered one too, but the manager wouldn't let me put any money down because he didn't want to have to refund me if they weren't able to get it from the distributor. Yeah, whatever, I think he just didn't want to bother ringing me up.

Anyway, it's on order. Wish me luck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.