Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

SCTV Network 90 for 29.99 at Blockbuster!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

SCTV Network 90 for 29.99 at Blockbuster!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 05:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked mine up at BB in San Diego... no problems at all. Yipee!
Old 06-08-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered it today for $29.99 and i asked to pay in full to guarantee it, they called in the order and even said the price.
Old 06-08-04, 07:33 PM

Back in April, I went to two BB. One gave me a pink slip and told me that they did not think they would get it. At the other BB they let me preorder and paid in full. So yesterday, I went to where I preorder it and they did not have it or clue of when it was coming.

When I got home, I checked my messages, I had a call from the BB with the pink slip that told me that my SCTV DVDs are in :-)

The moral of the story is never give up and never give in! Always go for the long shot!

Thanks!
Old 06-09-04, 12:48 AM

I had no problem picking it up today at the BB by me. Big thanks to all those who started and confirmed this thread.
Old 06-09-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soooo Blockbuster called me today and told me that the price was actually $89 (yikes!). Even though I paid in full yesterday, that didn't make a difference.

So I called up Corporate and after verifying with the store, they said that this was a special order, and if I wanted it - I'd have to pay the MSRP. Otherwise I can go back to the store to have my credit card charged-back my credit card, which I plan on doing.

Oh well - I guess I jumped on the band wagon too late with this!
Old 06-09-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by Nabalab
Soooo Blockbuster called me today and told me that the price was actually $89 (yikes!). Even though I paid in full yesterday, that didn't make a difference.
Do you have anything from BB that says something like Paid in Full or Balance $0.00 ?

If you're not in a hurry, I'd hold onto your receipt for a little while and hope a set (like, say, the one you haven't picked up yet) pops up on the store shelf. At that point, it's no longer a Special Order.

Also, if Corporate says no, try District. If District says no, try Corporate....

Last edited by Jobronie; 06-09-04 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Re: Re: Bad news, folks...

Originally posted by calhoun07
Refuse the refund. Seriously, and everybody else should as well. If you prepaid for it, you are locked in at that price. Don't let them jerk you around.

You should check out this thread if you have any questions on your rights to have this set at that price:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=353268
Could someone please re-cap for us. That link is to a 12 page thread ......
Old 06-09-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jobronie
Do you have anything from BB that says something like Paid in Full or Balance $0.00 ?

If you're not in a hurry, I'd hold onto your receipt for a little while and hope a set (like, say, the one you haven't picked up yet) pops up on the store shelf. At that point, it's no longer a Special Order.

Also, if Corporate says no, try District. If District says no, try Corporate....
I have the pink slip that says "special order", and the receipt that says "paid in full". I went to 3 stores yesterday and this was not on any of the shelves, and they all said that they wouldn't be getting this in. Even though I can wait, I really wouldn't count on it showing up on store shelves anytime soon.

I called Corporate before and while I was on hold, they called the store where I pre-ordered. Apparently since the store never had any intention of getting this in, it would be the full price if I wanted it.

I agree that the price I paid *should* be locked in, but I really am not sure what to do at this point - besides getting a refund.
Old 06-09-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a pretty good feeling that this wasn't going to work, and didn't even try it.

It can be had for $40 at Best Buy ($59-$20 DD), or on the trade forum for about the same price. $10 is worth the non headaches, and for being able to watch it NOW (actually started watching it on the saturday before the street date, whcn I received it in the mail

The thing is, I detest Blockbuster, and knew that they would not handle their mistake properly on the front end, and didn't want the headache!
Old 06-09-04, 10:06 PM
Cool New Member

Picked up my pre-ordered copy tonight for $29.99 No problems even
Old 06-09-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think if I would have pre-ordered it a month or 2 ago, as opposed to special-ordering it on the day it came out, it would have been less of a hassle and I probably would have gotten it.

I just went back and got the refund. And then placed a semi-big (20% off) order with DDD to cheer me up....LOL.
Old 06-10-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just picked up my two sets at Blockbuster.

It APPEARS that the sets are scanning for 29.99. I asked for my two pre-ordered sets; the CSR scanned them and gave me a total of 63.xx. It was THEN that I showed her my receipts and mentioned that I had already paid in full. She then zeroed out the 63.xx, handed the sets to me, and told me to have a nice day.

Problem is gonna be finding these on the Blockbuster shelves. CSR said that my sets were the only ones they recieved; no other pre-orders and none for rental or sell thru.

Thanks again to OP!!
Old 06-10-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So are you saying if they have them on the shelves that they may still be $29.99? I never say this thread before today now I am kicking myself.
Old 06-10-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by teddydogg
So are you saying if they have them on the shelves that they may still be $29.99?
I'm saying there's a very good possibility.

The CSR entered a bare minimum of keystrokes (logging on, maybe?) prior to scanning the sets, so I don't think she entered any info that would have altered the present scanning price.......
Old 06-10-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts
the price in the blockbuster database for dvds is 2 prices.

one price is the msrp the other is the blockbuster price.

for this set the price is listed as 29.99 for both.

it should be well over $100 for both.
but for some reason they have not done an update to fix the price.

so if you find one on the shelf.
it will scan at 29.99 for as long as the "blockbuster" price has it in the database that way.
Old 06-11-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by whotony
the price in the blockbuster database for dvds is 2 prices.

one price is the msrp the other is the blockbuster price.

for this set the price is listed as 29.99 for both.

it should be well over $100 for both.
but for some reason they have not done an update to fix the price.

so if you find one on the shelf.
it will scan at 29.99 for as long as the "blockbuster" price has it in the database that way.
If that is the case, then those of you who haven't gotten in on this yet should still be able to go in and special order it. That will eliminate the whining clerks who will try to say they can't do a preorder for it (LIE-just a cover up for they don't know what the hell they are doing) and if you even put five dollars down on it, you will be locked in at that price. You do need a BB membership to do this, regardless of what the clueless clerks might try to tell you. They need to PRESELL the item on your account, then they will have an option to have you prepay a deposit on the special order or put down a full amount. Don't settle for anything less, folks.

I suggest you pay for the set in advance if you are special ordering it, but either way (five dollars down or paying in full) you are locked in at that price, and no matter what they might try to tell you other wise, you are locked in at that price and you can get it at that price.

For those not wanting to wade thru the Voyager thread, there were those who were told they couldn't get Voyager at that price and owed additional monies. They contacted DMs and sometimes even corporate and in each instance, the DM honored the mistake, so never give up, never accept a refund. Unless you really just have extra money to throw around on another set elsewhere just because you want to "avoid a headache."
Old 06-11-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FWIW, the set is up on their web site for $76.48, so who knows how long it'll last at this price in the B&M computers.........
Old 06-11-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At first I wasn't going to try this one - especially since I didn't get in on it back in April - but I decided to try it & see how it went. If I got turned down on the order, so be it.

Lo & behold, like everyones' experiencing, I was able to "order" the movie with no problem. The clerk on duty even had a "management team" stich logo on her shirt - so I figured it was a semi-coup?

No such luck, later that day I get a call from the store & some guy says that their "outside source" shows this movie being of a MUCH higher price than what I'd ordered it for. They are wanting me to come in & take back credit for my order.

I figured I'd wait a while & see what happens. Incidentally, this wasn't the same store as I had ordered the Voyager S2 from & had hassles in getting it.
Old 06-11-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my credit and didn't feel like dealing with it. I checked with about 3 or 4 stores the other day and none of them had it in, and none of them were planning on getting it in.

I ordered it through the "12-hour" DDD 20% off sale, and it went through. Came out to $43ish - about $10 more than I would have paid at Blockbuster.

I'm looking at it that it's cheaper than other places - like Best Buy, where it's on sale for $59.99 + tax!
Old 06-11-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by calhoun07
If that is the case, then those of you who haven't gotten in on this yet should still be able to go in and special order it. That will eliminate the whining clerks who will try to say they can't do a preorder for it (LIE-just a cover up for they don't know what the hell they are doing) and if you even put five dollars down on it, you will be locked in at that price. You do need a BB membership to do this, regardless of what the clueless clerks might try to tell you. They need to PRESELL the item on your account, then they will have an option to have you prepay a deposit on the special order or put down a full amount. Don't settle for anything less, folks.

I suggest you pay for the set in advance if you are special ordering it, but either way (five dollars down or paying in full) you are locked in at that price, and no matter what they might try to tell you other wise, you are locked in at that price and you can get it at that price.

For those not wanting to wade thru the Voyager thread, there were those who were told they couldn't get Voyager at that price and owed additional monies. They contacted DMs and sometimes even corporate and in each instance, the DM honored the mistake, so never give up, never accept a refund. Unless you really just have extra money to throw around on another set elsewhere just because you want to "avoid a headache."
So...howzabout this one calhoun07...

When this deal was first posted, I had my girlfriend go down to the BBV near her job and place the order. She did. At first the clerk couldn't find it, but once he did, she paid the $29.99+tax, got a reciept and left.

So...on Tuesday, I decided to call and see if it was in. I told the "clerk" that my girlfriend had preordered/prepaid a DVD and asked if it was in. He put me on hold. After a minute or two, he got back on and read off what she had ordered and then told me that it was "unavailable". "Unavailable?" I asked. "How can that be? It was released TODAY.". "Oh, it was? Hold on.". So, again, I get put on hold. He told me they'd see if they could order it and they'd call me back. Five minutes later, someone calls back and tells me that the original clerk "ordered the wrong item and they could reorder it again".

HOWEVER it would be $89.00.

That's where it stands now.

Should I just call and get the DM number?
Old 06-11-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called the BBV where I ordered it back in April. First they told me it wasn't in (this was before they even asked what movie I was calling about). Then, when I did tell them, they said it could be up to 8 weeks before they have it - and there was no guarantee of that.
Old 06-11-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by achau9598
they said it could be up to 8 weeks before they have it - and there was no guarantee of that.
I'm wondering if they just said that because they had never heard of the title, and just assumed it was some limited edition, innocuous title from some vanity press, and not a four day old current release.

Did they bother to tell you why a title that is getting rave reviews and is available at Best Buy, Circuit City, DDD, buy.com and is currently #4 with a bullet at Amazon, would take up to eight weeks to get to them?

Sounds like a lot of folks here are gonna be stuck asking their local BB for the phone number to District......
Old 06-11-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
So...howzabout this one calhoun07...

When this deal was first posted, I had my girlfriend go down to the BBV near her job and place the order. She did. At first the clerk couldn't find it, but once he did, she paid the $29.99+tax, got a reciept and left.

So...on Tuesday, I decided to call and see if it was in. I told the "clerk" that my girlfriend had preordered/prepaid a DVD and asked if it was in. He put me on hold. After a minute or two, he got back on and read off what she had ordered and then told me that it was "unavailable". "Unavailable?" I asked. "How can that be? It was released TODAY.". "Oh, it was? Hold on.". So, again, I get put on hold. He told me they'd see if they could order it and they'd call me back. Five minutes later, someone calls back and tells me that the original clerk "ordered the wrong item and they could reorder it again".

HOWEVER it would be $89.00.

That's where it stands now.

Should I just call and get the DM number?
I would if I were you and couldn't get anywhere with the store. You can check out the latter pages on my Voyager thread for success stories where people got their Voyager sets honored after talking to a DM. Just be polite and explain your situation and also be firm, don't accept no for an answer. In the end, Blockbuster is about making the customer happy. Personally, I am amazed the management at your store won't honor it, but some of them seem to act as if it's their money going into buying these DVDs. It's a price error and they should honor it, especially since they accepted money for the set when you preordered it.
Old 06-11-04, 11:17 PM

Location: I'm in a state (state)...of confusion (woah-oh-uh-oh)
I got in on this back in April, or I thought I did. So far, no SCTV in hand.
I have it on order in 2 stores, one let me pay up front, the other didnt. It has not come in in either store. So, since I'm friggin close to climbing the walls here waiting for Earl Camembert I'm thinking of grabbing it at CC now while I can get it for a few bucks off, rather than deny myself a lot of laughs now and have to pay full price when a month from now when BB tells me they couldnt get it. Bottom line is I want this at any price, and if it does finally come in at Blockbuster, I'll give it to a friend or ebay it.
I'm normally a person of tremedous faith, but I'm losing it a little each time I call BB to see if its in, or going to come in...
Again, thanks to the original poster.
Old 06-12-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lamont
I got in on this back in April, or I thought I did. So far, no SCTV in hand.
I have it on order in 2 stores, one let me pay up front, the other didnt. It has not come in in either store. So, since I'm friggin close to climbing the walls here waiting for Earl Camembert I'm thinking of grabbing it at CC now while I can get it for a few bucks off, rather than deny myself a lot of laughs now and have to pay full price when a month from now when BB tells me they couldnt get it. Bottom line is I want this at any price, and if it does finally come in at Blockbuster, I'll give it to a friend or ebay it.
I'm normally a person of tremedous faith, but I'm losing it a little each time I call BB to see if its in, or going to come in...
Again, thanks to the original poster.
Are you positive they even ordered it? One thing people with Voyager Season Two were running into were clerks who thought all they had to do was do the pre order in the computer and that would somehow magically order it from Ingram for them. Actually, in addition to the pre order, they have to pysyically call the order in to Ingram themselves and tell them they need a copy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.