Old 07-01-04, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STL me.... [email protected]
Old 07-01-04, 11:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by db27
$34.99 from fye after a $15 Mail-in-Rebate
But the rebate requires the original UPC symbol from the package. Do you have to cut up the packaging to get it?
Old 07-01-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by THX7966
But the rebate requires the original UPC symbol from the package. Do you have to cut up the packaging to get it?
You can use the package sticker with the price and UPC number.
Old 07-01-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fryinpan1
You can use the package sticker with the price and UPC number.
Check out this thread for all the details: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=362082

It is near the end of the first post.
Old 07-01-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you preorder the package from FYE.com, will it have the barcode sticker on it, or is that just used in-store?
Old 07-01-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NCYankee
If you preorder the package from FYE.com, will it have the barcode sticker on it, or is that just used in-store?
The barcode will be on it when you get the dvd in store never tried on line I don't know if you get the rebate if you do it on line.
Old 07-01-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You do - it's on their website with free shipping, $49.99 - $15 MIR. You have to print out the rebate form.
Old 07-01-04, 01:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by db27
$34.99 from fye after a $15 Mail-in-Rebate
If you factor in the tax on the pre-rebate price, it might still be a bit high, depending on your location. Here in LA County, the 8.25% tax adds $4.12 onto the $49.99 in-store price. The after-rebate price is then $39.11. FYE.com also charges sales tax in California, so it's not cheaper to order it online.

Amazon's STL price right now is $37.79 with free shipping and no tax for me.
Old 07-01-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anybody know Blockbuster's price? I have some GC's I would like to burn.
Old 07-01-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by chanster
anybody know Blockbuster's price? I have some GC's I would like to burn.
Doesn't Blockbuster still pricematch?
Old 07-01-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before you count on using an outside barcode UPC symbol from a net purchased FYE DVD, please make certain they have them.

As far as I know each retail store puts those on the DVD's they sell before they put them out.
Old 07-02-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is one title i'm not going to pre-order. It will be a loss leader for some one and I don't want to get caught wanting to cancel it.
Old 07-03-04, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by kayak99
Before you count on using an outside barcode UPC symbol from a net purchased FYE DVD, please make certain they have them.

As far as I know each retail store puts those on the DVD's they sell before they put them out.
I can almost guarantee that the set that comes from fye.com will not have a sticker, thereby forcing you to cut up the box if you want your MIR. I purchased many DVDs online from them when they used to have some good coupons and good advance order prices. None ever had a store sticker.
Old 07-03-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AudioWizard
This is one title i'm not going to pre-order. It will be a loss leader for some one and I don't want to get caught wanting to cancel it.
You have a month to send in the rebate form, if a better deal comes along you can always return the pre-ordered set to a FYE store near you, saving the shipping.

I don't see why a store would use the most anticipated DVD release ever as a loss leader. For every internet bargain hunter, there are 10 people who will just walk into their nearest store and plunk down the retail cost. Most retailers will probably see this set as a cash cow.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-03-04 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 02:14 PM

I don't see why a store would use the most anticipated DVD release ever as a loss leader. For every internet bargain hunter, there are 10 people who will just walk into their nearest store and plunk down the retail cost. Most retailers will probably see this set as a cash cow.
Maybe "loss leader" isn't the best phrase, but I can guarantee that B&M's won't be sitting on their butts hoping you will buy from them and not the store next door. After all, everyone WILL be buying this, but they will probably will only be buying it once.

Best guess to me will be an instore price of around $45 and a variety of free add on's depending on the retailer (bonus disc, video game, book, ect.) that will make it near impossible to decide where to buy it!
Old 07-05-04, 01:52 AM
AOD

SRGilbert,

"Loss Leader" is the exact phrase the industry would use for a high profile title like this. If a store such as Best Buy prices this below what they pay (and toss in a "exclusive" disc), it seems like a great deal to you while they are getting you in the store hoping you will buy something else. It happens all the time (and not just at electronic stores).
Old 07-05-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Loss leaders" are generally unimportant small-ticket items priced at near giveaway to draw people in and try to get them to buy other more expensive items. Walmart prices gas below cost to get people into their stores. The local pharmacies occasionally sell 12 packs of soda (advertised in the Suday paper flier) really cheap to draw people in.

I seriously doubt many retailers will be pricing a high-priced long-awaited box set of DVDs below cost to draw people in, hoping they will buy an Usher CD or 50 First Dates at regular price while they are there. And the likelihood of someone stopping at Best Buy to pick up the Star Wars trilogy and walking out with a washer and dryer is very low.

Star Wars is a main event. It is the type of item they put right up front in the store, and use other items to draw you in.

A perfect example of a loss leader is what Coconuts did with the Simpsons a couple weeks ago. They gave away seasons 1-3 at $10 after rebate, trying to get people to buy recently released season 4 at normal price. Also 24 - season 1 was $20 after rebate (probably at or below cost), while season 2 was $40, likely still in profit. I am sure a lot of people grabbed both.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-05-04 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 04:48 AM
AOD

"Loss leaders" are generally unimportant small-ticket items priced at near giveaway to draw people in and try to get them to buy other more expensive items. Walmart prices gas below cost to get people into their stores. The local pharmacies occasionally sell 12 packs of soda (advertised in the Suday paper flier) really cheap to draw people in.

I seriously doubt many retailers will be pricing a high-priced long-awaited box set of DVDs below cost to draw people in, hoping they will buy an Usher CD or 50 First Dates at regular price while they are there. And the likelihood of someone stopping at Best Buy to pick up the Star Wars trilogy and walking out with a washer and dryer is very low.

Star Wars is a main event. It is the type of item they put right up front in the store, and use other items to draw you in.

A perfect example of a loss leader is what Coconuts did with the Simpsons a couple weeks ago. They gave away seasons 1-3 at $10 after rebate, trying to get people to buy recently released season 4 at normal price. Also 24 - season 1 was $20 after rebate (probably at or below cost), while season 2 was $40, likely still in profit. I am sure a lot of people grabbed both.

Do you think all the B&M's are going to price this at MSRP on release week? Don't think so. While I agree that Star Wars on DVD is a main event, it is all the more reason to put it at a price point below your competitors. We could go on for days about this (as i'm sure it has before), but I think the first week of release it will be a huge loss leader before jacking up the price the following week. Star Wars is reason enough for people to go into a B&M to pick up a copy at a dirt cheap price on release week. Once your in, the chances of you picking up more movies (or other items) increases exponentially (I.E. Loss Leader). That first week is going to be WWIII for the B&M's trying just about any tactic to get you to come into their store to pick up a set. You are certainly entitled to your opinon. I was just stating mine. My apologies to other members, as this subject has no bearing on this thread.

Last edited by AOD; 07-05-04 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AOD
Do you think all the B&M's are going to price this at MSRP on release week? Don't think so. While I agree that Star Wars on DVD is a main event, it is all the more reason to put it at a price point below your competitors. We could go on for days about this (as i'm sure it has before), but I think the first week of release it will be a huge loss leader before jacking up the price the following week. Star Wars is reason enough for people to go into a B&M to pick up a copy at a dirt cheap price on release week. Once your in, the chances of you picking up more movies (or other items) increases exponentially (I.E. Loss Leader). That first week is going to be WWIII for the B&M's trying just about any tactic to get you to come into their store to pick up a set. You are certainly entitled to your opinon. I was just stating mine. My apologies to other members, as this subject has no bearing on this thread.
Why would they expend a lot of effort to sell it BELOW COST and make no money? I don't think they will sell at MSRP, but the definiton of loss leader is that they lose money on it. Once they sell it, it is soold - they will never make money off that customer buying that set again.
Old 07-05-04, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
This will be a FIERCE competition between stores to get you to buy it from them.

It's not just trying to get you in the store that one time to buy more stuff - it's also establishing a pattern in consumers' minds about "Store X has the best prices" so that you go there to buy stuff ALL THE TIME. They're willing to lose a buck or two (or more likely, just break even) on a big release item to reinforce their store as being "your place for DVDs."

I buy a lot of stuff at Best Buy, and probably wouldn't buy as much if not for their DVD deals.

For instance, I wanted a combo printer/scanner/copier that is pretty much the same price everywhere. Where I bought it was based on who had the best price for School of Rock that week.
Old 07-05-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question since I wasn't active here at the time the Indiana Jones set came out - how many stores had great deals on that? I got it at FYE for $25 after rebate ($50 - $25) - but I don't recall seeing other aggressive deals. Of course,I wasn't really shopping around for it - the deal just fell into my lap.

I would say the IJ trilogy was the closes thing to the Star Wars trilogy in recent memory - but Star Wars is probably much bigger.

I think the best chance for a loss leader would be really cheap prices on the Ep I-II DVDs to get people in, then sell them the trilogy at a decent (but not giveaway) price with some sort of bonus line BBs R2D2 disc).
Old 07-05-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Indy was in the 35-40 range at most stores i believe.
Old 07-05-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a question since I wasn't active here at the time the Indiana Jones set came out - how many stores had great deals on that? I got it at FYE for $25 after rebate ($50 - $25) - but I don't recall seeing other aggressive deals. Of course,I wasn't really shopping around for it - the deal just fell into my lap.

I would say the IJ trilogy was the closes thing to the Star Wars trilogy in recent memory - but Star Wars is probably much bigger.

I think the best chance for a loss leader would be really cheap prices on the Ep I-II DVDs to get people in, then sell them the trilogy at a decent (but not giveaway) price with some sort of bonus line BBs R2D2 disc).
actually, if i recall, Indiana Jones was $49.99 at most stores. I think that Best Buy offered the bonus disc. Some stores may have had it for $44.99

Eckerdx Drug Store had it advertised for $34.99 and a lot of ppl used that flyer to price match at other stores.

FYE had the $49.99 + Tax - $25 MIR Indiana Jones deal around Christmas time (or slightly after it)
Old 07-05-04, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Dabaomb
actually, if i recall, Indiana Jones was $49.99 at most stores. I think that Best Buy offered the bonus disc. Some stores may have had it for $44.99

Eckerdx Drug Store had it advertised for $34.99 and a lot of ppl used that flyer to price match at other stores.

FYE had the $49.99 + Tax - $25 MIR Indiana Jones deal around Christmas time (or slightly after it)
My records (sad I know!) show that I got Indy on release day at Best Buy for $44.99+tax, and it came with the bonus disc. Were there better deals aroundg Christmas? Sure, but you never know what they will be 3-4 months in advance, so on stuff like this, it's not worth waiting for me.

Personally, I'll probaby be doing the Star Wars/THX-1138 CE combo deal at Amazon with STL.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.