Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The One And Only Star Wars Pre-Order/Bargain Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 10:08 PM
Tay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing...I really don't get why they put 'Low Price' in their ads. It really tends to keep me away. I am also surprised by the price most of these retailers are selling this for. I know it is very popular and hyped up and will probably sell for alot, but it doesn't seem like they are truly 'Low Prices' compared to what we were expecting. I figured it would be 39.99-49.99 everywhere the first week.
Old 09-19-04, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tay
It says LOW PRICE in the Best Buy ad. The 42.99 is clearly for Star Wars Battlefront and that may be why some Best Buy employees believe it is that price. I ended up calling three Best Buys in my area and the official store price is 51.99.
Actually, Tay, there seems to be at least two versions of that ad floating around, one that simply says "low price" and one that clearly states $51.99. The old trick of the "low price" tag being shown next to the price of another item is pretty common, and almost ALWAYS ends up being the selling price of the "low price" item as well. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

This is generally done for a couple of reasons. Sometimes, they really DO have a low price that is below what the distributer will let the seller advertise. Other times, the store is waiting to see what the local competition will be doing, this way they can set whatever price they feel is appropriate that week.

Last edited by SRGilbert; 09-19-04 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Dabaomb
you guys are both right. Best Buy has gone to regional pricing. If your Best Buy has it for $51.99 just PM to CompUSA or you could do an in-store pick up when it comes out on Tuesday and it'll be $42.99 from the website.

why would someone dr an ad? Have some common sense ppl.
Thank you, Dabaomb. I've better things to do than doctor ads. If they've gone to regional pricing, that would explain some things. Just here trying to help.

xpfshost

Last edited by xpfshost; 09-19-04 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally posted by Tay
One more thing...I really don't get why they put 'Low Price' in their ads. It really tends to keep me away. I am also surprised by the price most of these retailers are selling this for. I know it is very popular and hyped up and will probably sell for alot, but it doesn't seem like they are truly 'Low Prices' compared to what we were expecting. I figured it would be 39.99-49.99 everywhere the first week.
I am just taking a shot here but,

I would guess the "low price" thing companies put in their Ads, is either,

1. too low to publish?
2. marketing trick, to draw people into their stores, rather than having prices all out on the table, then the consumer can choose from which store they want to get it from right away. store traffic I'm guessing.
Old 09-20-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tay
The low price/hot price is due to something called the "Minimum Advertised Price" (MAP).

Retailers can't price items lower than the MAP. Their way around this is to write low price/hot price and then place an item next to it with a price. That will in turn 99% of the time be the price of the item for that week.
Old 09-20-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jimbo99
soo nice that i got this for $33 shipped at ddd!
I'd rather have it for $33 shipped from Coconuts.com, and a $10 gift card left over to boot.

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-20-04 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-20-04, 05:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
Can you take the scan of Fry's ad and price match at a Best Buy anywhere or does it have to be in the general location of that Fry's? Also, do you just go to Best Buy and say price match? do all locations do this?
Old 09-20-04, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well you actually have to have a Fry's somewhat close to you as Best Buy will want to call them up and see if they are stocked. If your state doesn't have one then it's not a competitors price cause it's no where near them to even be competition so they wont price match.
Old 09-20-04, 07:20 AM

OK, I am going to sound like an idiot here but is there a difference in the Gold box and the Silver box? someone told me there was but I didnt catch all of it
Old 09-20-04, 07:29 AM

If anyone's interested, here's a PDF file for the Sunday Fry's ad http://ads.myoc.com/interactive-ads/...6357343-01.pdf

-Ken
Old 09-20-04, 08:00 AM

Gold Box = Full Screen (The bad witch)

Silver Box = Widescreen (The good witch)

Personally? I'm going to CompUSA ($39.99) first thing in the morning. If that doesn't work, I'll head across the street to Circuit City and price match it and get 10% of the difference (OOOH!). Plus no tax in Delaware
Old 09-20-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott1598
Can you take the scan of Fry's ad and price match at a Best Buy anywhere or does it have to be in the general location of that Fry's? Also, do you just go to Best Buy and say price match? do all locations do this?
sorry, doubt it will work. No Fry's anyone near CT.
Old 09-20-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I called the Fys's in Austin today and the confirmed the 36.99 price and they open at 8. The guy told me they got 1000 copies in. I am taking off Tuesday to watch all the movies. A great day it will be.
Old 09-20-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just psyically had a Best Buy manager to clear this up for me by looking it up in their system.

It's exactly as I predicted earlier.

$51.99 will be the price once it isn't on sale, the "normal" price.

$42.99 will be the price for this coming week.

I also right out asked them about the Madden coupon book. I told them that most have no idea what it's about, but that if the coupon is for real, as we all know it is, that it should tell them once they scan the coupon.

They agreed, and told me to just have the cashier scan the coupon, explain to them about the system having the right information in it, and that the 20% off WILL apply to this item also.

$34.40 + tax seems like a deal to me.

My Wal-Mart also told me that they have it marked as $44.99 right now, but their price will be a few bucks less than that once it hits the shelf. WalMart ALSO told me that they are putting them out at 12am in about twelve hours, and once they do that they'll have the exact price and everything up. I'll be calling WalMart at 12am or so and asking for sure if they have it put out, and if they do, I might just get it there...mainly because Best Buy is about an hour away from me.
Old 09-20-04, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I called the Fys's in Austin today and the confirmed the 36.99 price and they open at 8. The guy told me they got 1000 copies in. I am taking off Tuesday to watch all the movies. A great day it will be.
Great! I'm planning to try to stop by there on my way to work Tuesday morning to pick up a copy... was a little concerned they might not have enough, but it should be all good.
Old 09-20-04, 11:21 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
will Best Buy PM on CompUSA price? and if so anyone know where I can get a copy of the CompUSA ad that says $39.99? or can i use the online ad? thanks for any help.

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-20-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-20-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

will Best Buy PM on CompUSA price? and if so anyone know where I can get a copy of the CompUSA ad that says $39.99? or can i use the online ad? thanks for any help.
at the CompUSA store. It should also be posted on their website but Best Buy might no accept that.
Old 09-20-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BB should price match the CompUSA price, but one never knows with BB. My local Wal*Mart did price match a CompUSA ad for TPOTC for me last month. You can get the ad by going into the CompUSA store. I believe that there is a CompUSA store in a shopping plaza on the Post Road in Norwalk. The Best Buy in Norwalk is just down the road from CompUSA, so it should not be too inconvenient for you.
Old 09-20-04, 11:57 AM

Called a Phila., PA FYE today and they said that they'll be continuing the $15 mail-in rebate offer tomorrow...so $49.99-$15=$34.99.

xpfshost
Old 09-20-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by xpfshost
Called a Phila., PA FYE today and they said that they'll be continuing the $15 mail-in rebate offer tomorrow...so $49.99-$15=$34.99.

xpfshost
Yes - the rebate forms you can print online now say order confirmation and packing slips dated until 10/5 - a while back it said 9/21.
Old 09-20-04, 12:43 PM

Just got the same info BrentLumpin got above. The manager told me that all consumers should realize that when Best Buy prints out a price with a large font it means that the picture to the left of the price is included too.

To no surprise I found this very amusing!!
Old 09-20-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks BrentLumkin for getting the lowdown on this. The Best Buy manager at the store I called kept playing dumb, that they "maybe" would lower the price. It's nice to finally have some concrete info. Madden coupon page + Star Wars here I come...
Old 09-20-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dvd182
Thanks BrentLumkin for getting the lowdown on this.
And thank YOU for being one of, if not THE, first person to ever get my name right. I can understand misspelling it when you hear it, as Lumkin can sound like it has a P in it, but when you see it typed and then you still get it wrong...I don't get that.

No offense to anyone though, I just found it od that someone actually got it right.
Old 09-20-04, 02:24 PM

Sorry about the typo BrentLumkin -- I saw it just when I hit the send button -- OOPS!

My co-worker's last name is Andresen -- everyone types it as Anderson.

Me Bad...
Old 09-20-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, I'm not mad or anything. It almost amuses me when people type it wrong, and it's not just you. I get it on email, message boards, everywhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.