Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Actual DVD movies at the Dollar Store

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by robertw477
Unless somebody says otherwise the treasure chest titles stink. Rob
The Treasure Box Collection titles are of variable quality . . . some poor and some decent. For example, the description that DouglasRobert provided for the Flash Gordon TV episodes is accurate. I picked up a 3-episode collection of Jack Benny episodes that were good (one of shows included guest stars Bob Hope, Elke Sommer, Walt Disney and The Beach Boys!). On the other hand, the 3-episode disc of You Bet Your Life (Groucho Marx) was of lesser quality (still watchable though). I do agree that the offerings from Television Classics/Movie Classics are a bit better, quality wise, than those from the Treasure Box Collection. This thread might be a good opportunity for forum members to let one another know about the quality of specific titles offered by these two companies rather than just writing off a company's entire line of releases.
Old 05-17-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They have some at the Dollar Tree in Edgewood, MD.

I picked up:

Abbott & Costello - The Colgate Comedy Hour
Jungle Book (1942)
Old 05-18-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by robertw477
By the way...are any of the old doman cartoons that they sell in Best buy any good. There are some old superman disks and such.

Rob
FYI - TV Classics/Movie Classics has a Superman collection DVD disk too. Haven't had the chance to check out the quality, but for 99 cents, I bet they beat Best Buy's price.
Old 05-18-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by raytrade
FYI - TV Classics/Movie Classics has a Superman collection DVD disk too. Haven't had the chance to check out the quality, but for 99 cents, I bet they beat Best Buy's price.
You get 3 cartoons for 99 cents with these discs, or you can get the complete 18 episodes for $7.32, restored and looking great, from DDD. Even if you could get all 18 for $6 on these discs, it would be worth the extra $1.32.
Old 05-20-04, 04:46 AM

My review of the Flash Gordon DVD from the Treasure Box Collection.

Disc contains three episodes.

Episode 1:
Deadline at Noon
While on a routine mission through space Flash Gordon and company see several planets explode. Dr. Zharkov suspects an atomic force. After investigating they return to Earth. On Earth weird weather occurs and people panic. At the Galaxy Bureau of Investigation they interrogate a person who may be responsible. He states that Earth will explode at Noon. He went back in time and planted a bomb that takes hundreds of years to reach the point of explosion. Flash Gordon and company time travels to 1953 Earth to try to deactivate it.

Episode 2:
The Race Against Time
In 3063, some member planets want to end the central control of weapons by the Galaxy Bureau of Investigation. A delegate leaves to report Earth's vote to the council on Mars. They come under attack by a ray gun used by a group who wants to prevent Earth's vote from reaching the council. They avoid crash landing, but are forced to land on a planetoid. They come under attack by the same people who tried to shoot them down with the ray gun. They defeat the attackers and take off for Mars.

Episode 3:
The Forbidden Experiment
On a distant plant, a friend makes an urgent call to Dr. Zharkov. Dr. Zharkov leaves to his aide with special medicine he requested. Upon landing, he discovers that his friend was killed by a creature that forced him to make the call because he needed the medicine. Flash and Dale leave Earth to the doctors aide. After landing, Flash and Dale are also captured by the creature. The creature is half man, half lion. The Lion-Man wants the doctor to fully transform him into a human, as well as all other animals. They escape from the Lion-Man, leaving him stranded.

Audio quality is clear, but I had to turn up the volume louder than usual to be able to hear it. In Mono.

Video quality is overall good. There is film specks/ dirt visible throughout, but is acceptable. There was a digital problem on episode 3, at around 15:30 a slight digital breakup occurs around the edges. It's on and off for about 2 minutes. Video is reasonably clear.

Each episode contains 4 chapters. 1 for the beginning credits, 2nd for the first half, 3rd for the second hald and the fourth for the end credits.

There are no extras at all.
Old 05-20-04, 12:31 PM

I bought an Ozzie and Harriet dvd at the dollar tree, popped it in the dvd player (not really expecting very good quality) and was surprised to find the 3 episodes looked very good.
Only problem is there's no sound on any of the episodes, i tried it on 2 different dvd players but still no sound. Guess i'll have to return it and hope not all the Ozzie dvds are defective.
I've heard rumors that there will be a box set in 2005 from Sony, i hope thats true because i love this series and i would love to see a high quality release soon.
Old 05-20-04, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by davey_4964
I bought an Ozzie and Harriet dvd at the dollar tree...

I've heard rumors that there will be a box set in 2005 from Sony, i hope thats true because i love this series and i would love to see a high quality release soon.
Plus, I'm sure Sony will release the entire show, with the Rick Nelson songs intact. Most public domain issues are shortened with the songs cut.
Old 05-22-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
I just asked in the mail forum about these types of dvds.
My mom picked up 10 copies of 'They call Me Trinity' by some unknown-to-me company called 'Treasure Box Collection'
The store was 99¢ City
They came in glossy sleeves rather than cases.

Who is this 'Treasure Box Collection' ?
Who puts them out?
Old 05-22-04, 09:26 AM

I dont know who the company is but there is a reason they dont identify themselves. The movies are grade D quality. The transfers are terrible. They are what appears to be videos of the movies playing on screen.

Rob
Old 05-22-04, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yesterday I bought:

Milton Berle (Treasure Box Collection)

The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet (Treasure Box Collection)

The George Burns And Gracie Allen Show (Treasure Box Collection)

Sergeant Preston Of The Yukon (Television Classics)

Make Room For Daddy (Television Classics). This is the first DVD I got from Dollar Tree that had music playing on the menu. The episodes are all complete with commercials for Pall Mall cigarettes and Dodge cars.
Old 05-22-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I picked up a few today.

The Tales of Tomorrow DVD from Movie/Television Classics is watchable, but very soft (and they are from kinescopes, so the quality can never be great). I have seen a much better VHS version, though.

I got Angel and the Badman (John Wayne, 1947) from Treasure Box for a friend at work and the picture quality was surprisingly good. Not as good as the Goodtimes version (which is fantastic, and only $4.95 on Amazon), but at 1/5 the price it's at least 1/2 as good!

Rage at Dawn (Western, Randolph Scott) from Movie Classics has a fairly clean, but very soft picture. It's watchable, and the movie is pretty good (not great, but a solid 50's western).

Suddenly (Frank Sinatra) from Treasure Box looks OK. A little sharper than the Movie Classics discs I got today, but still kind of funky. Definitely worth a dollar!

All in all, if you take price into consideration these are pretty good buys. It's a great way to sample movies that you aren't sure about.
Old 05-22-04, 08:03 PM

I picked up Mister Scarface yesterday at the 99 Cents Only Store. It's a mobster flick with Jack Palance. There's an e-mail address on back and it's [email protected] if anyone is interested.
Old 05-24-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CaseyB
I picked up Mister Scarface yesterday at the 99 Cents Only Store. It's a mobster flick with Jack Palance. There's an e-mail address on back and it's [email protected] if anyone is interested.
dollar-dvd.com does not lead to a working website. Haven't tried emailing though as I have no reason to contact them.
Old 05-24-04, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by raytrade
dollar-dvd.com does not lead to a working website. Haven't tried emailing though as I have no reason to contact them.
I sent an email to see if I could get some stuff through them in case my store doesn't have the movie I want.

Got a canned response that I can get their movies through dollar stores.
Old 05-25-04, 12:34 AM

Went back today and got a DVD of Bonanza.
Old 05-25-04, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by snorlaxnut
Went back today and got a DVD of Bonanza.
What episodes are included on the DVD? I find TV titles from the Treasure Box Collection frustrating because they don't list episode titles anywhere on the sleeve, unlike Television Classics which does list the titles. By not listing the episode titles, there's a chance that you may be buying episodes that you already own.
Old 05-25-04, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Bobhug
What episodes are included on the DVD? I find TV titles from the Treasure Box Collection frustrating because they don't list episode titles anywhere on the sleeve, unlike Television Classics which does list the titles. By not listing the episode titles, there's a chance that you may be buying episodes that you already own.
The episodes on the Bonanza DVD from Treasure Box Collection
are:

"Escape To The Ponderosa": Three men escape from a stockade and are hiding near The Ponderosa ranch.

and

"The Gunmen": Hoss and Little Joe are mistaken for a couple of outlaws and try to stop a feud.

Treasure Box Collection should list the episodes on the sleeve. The DVD of The George Burns And Gracie Allen Show I said I bought in another post had the same 3 episodes in 2 different DVDs I bought from Dollar Tree earlier this month.
Old 05-26-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WARNING: I just picked up 6 of the Dollar-DVD titles and there are big quality control issues, so you want to check yours if you buy them.

1) My Beverly Hillbillies Vol. 1 contained the disc of Vol. 2 instead

2) Andy Griffith Show Vol. 1 has a DVD that is physically says Vol. 1 imprinted on it, but when you put in the DVD, the menu says it is actually Vol. 3 and it has totally different episodes than listed on the cover art.

3) Andy Griffith Show Vol. 2's DVD menu identifies it as Vol. 4, but it has the correct episodes listed on the Vol. 2 cover art

Wow... this makes a full half of the DVDs I got that have problems, although #3 above is not severe enough that I would return it. If anyone else comes across issues, please share so we know what to watch out for.

BTW- since we've all been wondering just who Dollar-DVD is, the DVD menu on these discs identifies them as Brentwood Communications, which is one of the studios that has released a bunch of other public domain and "cheapie" DVDs in the past- the ones you find in the low-price sections at Wherehouse, Best Buy, etc.
Old 05-26-04, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by snorlaxnut
The episodes on the Bonanza DVD from Treasure Box Collection
are:

"Escape To The Ponderosa": Three men escape from a stockade and are hiding near The Ponderosa ranch.

and

"The Gunmen": Hoss and Little Joe are mistaken for a couple of outlaws and try to stop a feud.

Treasure Box Collection should list the episodes on the sleeve. The DVD of The George Burns And Gracie Allen Show I said I bought in another post had the same 3 episodes in 2 different DVDs I bought from Dollar Tree earlier this month.
Thanks for the episode information . . . I already have "Escape to the Ponderosa" but don't have "The Gunmen" so I'll probably pick it up. Couldn't agree with you more about the lack of episode information on Treasure Box Collection's TV releases.
Old 05-27-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UPDATE: I exchanged the Andy Griffith Show Vol. 1 today (see my post two posts above) and the replacement disc has the same problem, so it might be a problem with all copies of this title. Did anyone else buy this and actually get a DVD with Vol. 1's listed episodes?

I also exchanged the Beverly Hillbillies Vol. 1 that had Vol 2's disc inside, and this time got a good Vol. 1, so I guess that problem was isolated.
Old 05-28-04, 09:25 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
for those of you who don't have a dollar store near you, you can get some of these from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

of course, it may cost you more.. : )
Old 05-28-04, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by cinemaman
for those of you who don't have a dollar store near you, you can get some of these from Amazon.

of course, it may cost you more.. : )
Ouch . . . those are expensive and not worth it at those prices! I would still try to find a Dollar Tree as they have around 2,500 stores nationwide. Their store locator may be accessed at:

http://www.dollartree.com/site/fr_locator.cfm

99 Cents Only, which carries dollar DVDs, may be another possibility for some:

http://www.99only.com/storeLocator.htm
Old 05-28-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I got The Santa Fe Trail from Treasure Box, and the picture quality is watchable, but goes from too little contrast to too much (ghost-like bleached out faces).

But with this one the picture quality isn't the issue. About 70 minutes in to the movie the audio and the video are not in sync. For about 10 minutes the audio is a full 10 seconds ahead of the video! Then once that gets cleared up the movie freezes up for a second every 15 seconds or so.

For a dollar I'm not going to bother to take it back - I knew there was a possibility that it would be bad - but I thought I'd warn off anyone who was considering this title. Treasure Box really is hit or miss - if it's a hit it's only a single, but if it's a miss they fall down swinging after the ball already got to the catcher!
Old 05-28-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up the Dollar-DVD titles "Bad Cop Chronicles: Confessions of a Police Captain" and "7 Lucky Ninja Kids". Popped in the 1st disc and was totally impressed to find a full DVD menu with extras including a DVD Dictionary (a glossary with definitions of lots of DVD-related terms, like "pan & scan", and "aspect ratio"), an interactive movie trivia game, a bonus short subject "Spooky Hooky", plus a link to DVD Rom content. Then... I popped in the 2nd movie, and surprise, surprise, it had the IDENTICAL extras, including the same short subject film, etc! Well, I guess that is the cheap way to provide a bunch of "special features" on a lot of different titles... actually, the entire DVD menu on both discs was identical down to the colors and layout- the only difference was the movie title text on top of the menu.

Last edited by raytrade; 05-28-04 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-01-04, 11:22 PM

Went to Dollar Tree and picked up the only ones they had left, both from Treasure Box Collection:

Suddenly with Frank Sinatra
Mark Of The Hawk with Sidney Poitier

And I just noticed that movies from Treasure Box Collection share the same UPC code. Same thing for the TV titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.